December 27, 2004
This is an End-of-Year Meme, copied from Gwen, whose book I loved.
1. What did you do in 2004 that you'd never done before?
I learned how to knit, sort of. I rode on the back of a Jetski. I...um...jeez, is that it? God, I hope I'm forgetting a LOT.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
My resolutions always center around losing weight, because I am SO UNIQUE, and no, 2004 was not the year of posing for Shape magazine. Will I once again make multiple promises to myself about going to the gym and eating right etcufckingcetera? Well, duh.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My friend Amy!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thank god.
5. What countries did you visit?
I went to Phuket, Thailand, back in March. It was awesome, I hope to go back someday (no tsunamis, please). On the way there, I had a layover in the Tokyo airport, so let's just say I "visited" Japan too, mmkay?
6. What would you like to have in 2005 that you lacked in 2004?
Self confidence. Ambition. The strength to figure out what the right thing is, and to do it. Peace.
7. What dates from 2004 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Truthfully, there is nothing from 2004 that I want to etch upon my memory.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Keeping our marriage from detonating.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Facing detonation in the first place.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Other than colds and PMS-driven sugar freakouts, no.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My G5 iMac. Totally.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Jon Stewart, by golly.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Well, you know, other than the Iraqi prison abusers and all, the worst show of human behavior I've seen lately is from the people on a web forum who spend their time (and lots of it, apparently) posting horrible things about folks whose journals they read.
14. Where did most of your money go?
To the mortgage and iTunes.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The upcoming SECOND PoTC movie, like, OMG!!! Ahem. I got "really, really" excited about my Thailand vacation, but gosh, I guess that's the only thing I can think of. Man, 2004 was kind of lame, now that I am all focused on it and everything.
16. What song will always remind you of 2004?
Hmm. Maybe that Modest Mouse one that was in the car commercial that went "boowwwwwww"?
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? probably sadder, a little
b) thinner or fatter? I think about the same, maybe less muscle though
c) richer or poorer? richer
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Figuring out how to be better at work. Been healthier. Been smarter, stronger. Gone to more movies. Traveled more.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Being down on myself. Finding solace in things that aren't good for me.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Oops, I guess I answered this too late - I spent Christmas day at my house, with my family. It was wonderful.
21. Did you fall in love in 2004?
I found a well of even stronger love for JB.
22. How many one-night stands?
23. What was your favorite TV program?
I got fascinated by the Dog Whisperer, and I watched a lot of Survivor, and the Amazing Race. My favorite show is probably either Real Sex or Taxicab Confessions.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Not really, although I strongly dislike someone now that I was good friends with last year, and it makes me sad.
25. What was the best book you read?
The Bean Trees, which I re-read.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Hem, Andrew Bird (thanks to Rob).
27. What did you want and get?
A pretty Coach purse. Eddie Izzard's Circle. A tan. A Diarist award.
28. What did you want and not get?
A grey Mini Cooper with a white top.
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
I think probably Shaun of the Dead.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
It was in February, I was 30, and my family came over. Oh, I just looked at that link, and those crocuses killed me. CAN'T WAIT.
31.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If I hadn't made so many mistakes. The End.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2004?
A "concept"? Heh. How about, "I buy cheap crap from Old Navy".
33. What kept you sane?
My silly online journal.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I am thinking Johnny Depp. If "fancy" means "want to leap on nekkid".
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Can we call Moore's 9/11 an issue? I certainly felt....stirred, afterwards.
36. Who did you miss?
JB, whenever he was overseas.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
Uh, um? I don't know, honestly. Maybe one of my coworkers.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2004.
That I can't hide mistakes, they bleed from every pore.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Cripes. This is cheesy, don't you think?
"...guys like me
We look good at the gate
But you'll agree with the odds on the slate
and put your money on a bonafide heavyweight
and take it off guys like me
take it off guys like me"
<- back ::: next - >