MSNBC's year in pictures: amazing.
Seattle skyline from Alki Beach on Thursday.
Saturday, December 31, 2005
I'm not normally a huge fan of the quiz/meme thing, mostly because the questions tend to run along the lines of "If you were a bar of soap, what would you smell like?" and "Gryffindor or Ravenclaw?", but I did fill this out last year - so for the sake of continuity, here goes:
1. What did you do in 2005 that you'd never done before?
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
A bear walks into a bar and sits down. He whaps on the bar with his paw and asks for a beer. The bartender comes up and says, "We don't serve beer to bears in bars in Billings, Montana." The bear gets angry, and once again asks for a beer. The bartender again says, "We don't serve beer to bears in bars in Billings, Montana." The bear gets really mad and says, "If you don't serve me a beer, I'm going to eat that lady sitting at the end of the bar." The bartender replies again, "Sorry, we don't serve beer to bears in bars in Billings, Montana."
The bear goes to the end of the bar and, and just like he threatened, eats the woman. He comes back to his seat, and again demands a beer. The bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve beer to bears in bars in Billings, Montana, that are on drugs." The bear goes, " I'm not on drugs."
The bartender says, "Yes you are. That was a bar bitch you ate."
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005?
7. What dates from 2005 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
And what happened then?
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
9. What was your biggest failure?
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Other than headaches, bloating, gas, heartburn, congestion, the jimmy leg, giant puffer fish feet, hemorrhoids, and the near-constant desire to dip salt n' vinegar chips in melted chocolate? Nope.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My Nikon D-70, hands down.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
People whose daily agenda includes ramming their personal belief systems and lifestyle choices down other people's throats.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Other than the basics like house payments, gas, savings, food, etc, probably baby-related items and Starbucks. Man, I don't even want to know how much we've spent on vanilla lattes in the last month alone.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
This is kind of a no-shitter, but my answer has to be Riley. I spent the majority of 2005 awaiting his arrival with intense, drawn-out anticipation, now I get really, really, really excited over him on an hourly basis.
"Fake Palindromes", Andrew Bird. I listened to this album a lot when I was riding the bus in the early summer, it's inexorably woven with my memories of being pregnant and feeling the baby kick while on my way to and from work.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Made more of an effort at keeping friendships going. Writing.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Worrying, although I don't know how I could have kept myself from it.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
21. Did you fall in love in 2005?
I sure did. From the time he was a swimming little uterine tadpole, even.
(God, that makes it sound like I'm talking about sperm.)
(Which I'm not.)
(Hey, if you say "sperm" a bunch it sounds really weird. Sperm. Sperm. Sperm. Sperm.)
22. How many one-night stands?
None. Bah, stupid question. Gryffindor? Or Ravenclaw?
23. What was your favorite TV program?
Six Feet Under, until it ended. Deadwood. The Office. The Daily Show. Oh, and who can forget Breaking Bonaduce?
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
No, I don't think so.
25. What was the best book you read?
Damn, now there's a hard question. I can't even remember what all I read in 2005, I should have kept lists like Chiara does. Instead of narrowing it down to one book, I'll just say that I found Elizabeth Berg this year and I love all of her novels very very much.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I have been thinking and thinking about this one and I can safely say that I made no musical discoveries in 2005. I just didn't listen to anything new, how lame is that? I checked my iTunes purchased music, and this is what I bought in the last year:
Gwen Stefani, L.A.M.B
Out of those I'd say Aimee Mann's album was my favorite.
27. What did you want and get?
28. What did you want and not get?
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
What is my problem, I can barely think of anything I watched prior to King Kong two weeks ago. Um, maybe the Aristocrats? Sin City? Seems like it wasn't the best year for movies.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I believe I ate both pizza and ice cream, despite being 31 years old. I was hanging out with my family and going crazy from not telling yet about the pregnancy.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005?
33. What kept you sane?
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Wait, maybe Timothy Olyphant from Deadwood. Something 'bout that mustache - me-yow.
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
36. Who did you miss?
Friends and coworkers, after going on leave.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
I have not in fact met this person, but I am so happy to have discovered Kristin's journal this year.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Oh, so cheesy. Well:
Out of the tree of life I just picked me a plum
Happy New Year, everyone.