September 5, 2006

We arrived home mid-morning from our weekend in Oregon (driving 6 hours with a small child? Bah), and I am greatly looking forward to my own bed tonight, my own TWO FUCKING PLY toilet paper (1-ply: why?), and frankly, heading to the office tomorrow where my assistance is not required for the cleanliness of anyone’s butt crack. Unless my job description has been woefully overhauled recently.

Vacations are no longer restful, that’s for sure, but Riley’s presence makes greens greener and the air sweeter. Of course, it helped that we actually got a night on our own, which must be why the baby Jesus made grandparents.

Photos!

90506_bday.jpg
Birthday cake part deux. He still didn’t like it.

90506_grapes.jpg
Standing under a neighbor’s grape…bush? Tree? Grape…thingie.

90506_hat.jpg
Ha ha haaaa, HOWDY COWPOKE.

90506_rileyme.jpg
Not pictured: the earsplitting wailing sound the boy was making as I attempted to get him dressed.

90506_florence.jpg
The coastal town of Florence, where JB and I spent the night on Sunday.

90506_kite2.jpg
We flew a kite. As in, “Aw, go fly a kite.” We did not, however, piss up a rope.

90506_kite.jpg
I can’t remember the last time I held a kite. Note to self: fly more kites.

90506_sea.jpg
Beach and sandpipers.

90506_dogear.jpg
Hiking with JB, the boy, and Dog. I can’t remember why they were both peering in Dog’s ear like that.

90506_hole.jpg
Looking through a knothole in a wooden shed.

90506_jbme.jpg
Nothing says “casual” like an arm slung all awkwardly over someone’s shoulder, you know?

90506_sunset.jpg
Sun, setting.

Comments

41 Responses to “Back to the familiar”

1. Alex on September 5th, 2006 9:20 pm

Welcome home. Glad your back!

2. Chiara on September 5th, 2006 9:22 pm

I love the picture of you flying the kite.

3. misty on September 5th, 2006 9:26 pm

ohhh…. how purty!! that second one looks like Riley is communing with nature. he loves it!!

4. Sara on September 5th, 2006 9:29 pm

Ah, the Oregon Coast in the Fall — that’s the best time. Despite the now-almost-toddler, you look happy! Awesome. Glad to hear you survived the I-5 corridor.

5. Pete on September 5th, 2006 9:37 pm

Just got back from taking the family on a 24 day 7400 mile trip around the country pulling a 5th wheel. God I could use a vacation. I have a new respect for my parents who use to take five kids on vacation with an RV. At least my kids are 8 and 12. It would have been a real adventure with a one year old. You have my respect. PS Where the Heck is Wall Drug?

6. Lucy on September 5th, 2006 10:23 pm

See I can totally see (and hear) the high pitched head bleeding scream Riley’s working on in the getting him dressed photo.

Doesn’t make the idea of gnawing on his little toes any less appealing though.

(Grape vine, maybe?)

7. mom on a wire on September 5th, 2006 10:32 pm

Lovely lovely photos! Welcome back to the big Dubya A.

8. Lesley on September 5th, 2006 10:37 pm

With that cowboy hat and don’t mess with me expression, Riley’s a shoe in for a western bad guy.

The photo of the two of you looks like it’s straight out of LL Bean or Nautica. You’re both so modelly looking.

9. Lesley on September 5th, 2006 10:39 pm

P.S. I hear ya on the 1-ply. I use only three-ply…yeah I’m totally spoiled.

Stick a pack of your favourite toilet paper in the truck and sneak it in next time. Or um, how about making two-ply a wrapped gift for your in-laws next time you see them.

10. Holly on September 5th, 2006 11:03 pm

Dang woman… I’ve read all about the quest for a great pair of jeans and I’m glad you found some good ones. Butttt… If I was you I’d wear short shorts and mini skirts all the time! You are leggy for sure! I would never cover those gams up! I’m all green eyed about your own pair of “waxed and tanned mommy calves”!

11. Sonia (DDM) on September 5th, 2006 11:41 pm

Beautiful photos! And that noise Riley was making while you were trying to get him dressed? Round these parts, that’s called the Orca Whale Mating Call/Dog Whistle.

12. amanda on September 6th, 2006 3:35 am

Dude! You have really nice legs!

13. MademoiselleCaroline on September 6th, 2006 4:43 am

Beautiful pics…welcome back!

14. Graciemay on September 6th, 2006 4:56 am

You look GREAT in a hat. Not many people do.

15. Beth Anne on September 6th, 2006 5:17 am

quick question – what kind of ba-pa do you have for Riley? My husband really wants one for our sone (he feels un-manly with the Baby Bjorn). You guys really seem to like yours!

16. Kaire on September 6th, 2006 5:21 am

Oh man, that FACE he makes! Isn’t it something how they can say so much (yeah Mom, the cowboy hat looks FUCKing awesome … bitch) with their little baby faces. All he needed was an extended middle finger to finish the look! Happy Birthday Big Guy!

17. Ulli on September 6th, 2006 5:22 am

What a great photo of you and JB!!!! :))) Awesome. You look stunning and glowy. Sure you are not pregnant? HA! Just kidding!

18. warcrygirl on September 6th, 2006 5:27 am

OMG, that furrowed brow in the cowpoke pic? LOVE IT!

19. Jessie on September 6th, 2006 5:30 am

Looks like a beautiful vacation. The picture of Riley in the hat is priceless.

20. Jessamyn on September 6th, 2006 5:30 am

Grape arbor! Arbor, right? That’s what we always called the one at my grandpa’s place, anyway. Great pictures!

21. Shawna on September 6th, 2006 6:38 am

If you mean the plant, Lucy is right, it’s a grape vine. If you mean the whole thing – the plant and the structure it’s growing on so that it grows overhead – Jessamyn is right, it’s a grape arbor. Or arbour if you live up here in Canada.

And nice pics! Have you lost weight?

22. Ang on September 6th, 2006 6:38 am

Your pictures are always fabulous!

23. Paula on September 6th, 2006 7:01 am

“We did not, however, piss up a rope.” HYSTERICAL!!

24. girl in greenwood on September 6th, 2006 7:40 am

I would like to share the fact that my job description does, in fact, require me to be responsible for the cleanliness of others’ butt cracks. That is all.

25. Jennifer on September 6th, 2006 8:34 am

Look at your great legs! I’m heading toward cankleville myself so I’m totally jealous.

26. MRW on September 6th, 2006 8:59 am

Just had to add my two cents about how vacations are no longer relaxing. I love to be with my child and all, but DAMN how I miss those vacations when we could go to the beach and just SIT DOWN for over 3 minutes and relax. I find I usually need a vacation from my vacation when we travel as a family.

Also we are going to the Oregon coast this week-end and after seeing your photos I’m even more excited even if it means riding in horrible traffic with a 3.5 YO for hours…

27. Katie on September 6th, 2006 10:08 am

GREAT photos! I love the one of you and JB. The colors are great and I don’t think you look awkward at all!

28. Kristen on September 6th, 2006 10:13 am

You look so pretty and also skinny in that first picture with Riley and his cake! And JB looks smokin’ in the next one, under the grape thingie. And Riley looks way, way too adorable bending WAYYYY over to peer in Dog’s ear. Vacation agrees with you guys!

29. Kristen on September 6th, 2006 10:15 am

Also, nice stems, Sundry!

30. ginger on September 6th, 2006 12:23 pm

The Doodle didn’t eat her first birthday cake, either. She wanted nothing to do with this stuff we call cake. Her second birthday she was more into it. And now? Now she can’t wait for the cake! But mostly, she just eats the frosting. (At least she does so daintily, right?) And as for the traveling, we’ve done the six-to-eight-hour journey to see my mom often enough that she’s started getting the hint when mama puts a sweater over her head. “Mama’s tired? Poor mama!” And then she leaves me alone for a whole 20 seconds of bliss. :)

31. monkey boxer on September 6th, 2006 12:25 pm

Grape vine or grape arbor, probably. Not that any reasonable person would have a problem with thingie.

32. sunShine on September 6th, 2006 12:40 pm

I love the picture of Riley in the hat. That expression is priceless. He just gets cuter everyday!

33. Amy on September 6th, 2006 1:58 pm

I mistakenly bought some one-ply the other day. Ug. I actually don’t even understand why it exists. It just requires one to use twice the amount of one-play that you would use if you had two-ply. So I’m with you.

Oh, and…nice pics.

34. Anne L. on September 6th, 2006 2:05 pm

Hey, sexy legs! Welcome back!

35. thejunebug on September 9th, 2006 6:26 am

Someday I will drag my husband back to the Northwest and show him what it’s like to fly a kite on the coast! I’ve been stuck in the Southeast for way too long.

36. Chris Leachman on January 14th, 2007 2:13 am

Google is the best search engine

37. Randy on March 8th, 2015 2:24 am

Katie, we had such a good time! Thank you and Brad for having us this wenkeed. The home movies were so fun to watch brought back many memories. Loved playing, painting and walking at the park. Thank you for all the wonderful meals. Yes, we did have too many Girl Scout cookies! Hope you have a really good week! Love to you all!

38. cheap insurance quotes on March 28th, 2015 4:29 am

I was struck by the honesty of your posting

39. http://cheapautoinsurancebyzip.info/cheapMemphiscarinsurancefornorthernireland.html on June 26th, 2015 1:35 pm

I’m out of league here. Too much brain power on display!

40. http://eatandbeauty.com/what_information_do_i_need_to_get_a_car_insurance_quote.html on July 14th, 2015 3:11 pm

You got to push it-this essential info that is!

41. http://collegesurfer.info/irvine-valley-college-math-placement-test.php on October 10th, 2015 4:27 am

This insight’s just the way to kick life into this debate.