January 8, 2006

I’ll have you know I am updating my blog while technically “at Macworld” but I am most emphatically not blogging Macworld. I believe I would need a pair of smudged Elvis Costello glasses to be any good at the latter, or at least the desire to set my alarm for 4 AM in order to stand in line for tomorrow’s keynote, which: no. I would rather eat a grasshopper, seriously.

My prediction: new iPods, new eentsy-sized laptops, and the iPhone everyone’s peeing themselves over. YOU SAW IT HERE FIRST.

(Note: I actually have no idea what Jobs is going to blather about tomorrow, I just pulled that out of my ass. Yes, you’re welcome.)

My luggage made it, thank god, and it was amazingly one of the very first bags to come ka-thunking down the carousel. I recognized it by my incredibly fancy Black Suitcase Differentiation System, which involves one of Cat’s old collars wound around the handle.

The weather in San Francisco today was unbelievably wonderful, at least compared to Seattle’s never-ending dark and dreary (and increasingly cold) downpour – it was sunny and clear and I wish like hell I could visit this city when I’m not mired in tradeshow crapitude because I never have time to see anything but the 5-block radius around the Moscone.

But, it is kind of fun being here. Even though I miss Riley like an amputated limb (it’s a physical ache more than emotional, which I didn’t expect: it’s like I am missing some critical anatomical element). For instance:

• There is a Bloomingdale’s just across the street. Oh baby.
• We ate Thai food at some little place nearby and holy shit, was it ever good.
• I saw Pan’s Labyrinth (gorgeous, dark, sad [I cried like a big wiener], wonderful) tonight in what has to be the most comfortable theater I’ve ever been in.
• Also: room service. Creme brulee after 10 PM? DON’T MIND IF I DO.

351424503_c3ba89b070.jpg
Early (way, way too early) this morning.

351424517_cf5192ebec.jpg
Coming into S.F.

351424545_d181bb341a.jpg
Street near the hotel.

351424576_88b956d224.jpg
Dudes playing some catchy music. I am such a tourist.

351424587_7c39751d2d.jpg
My home away from home for the week. Notable features: freakishly giant pillows, single-cup coffeemaker.

351424605_8ec95cc2a7.jpg
I slobbed up the bathroom in about five seconds.

On the downside, the soda machine here in the hotel demands $2.50 for a plastic bottle of Diet Coke. TWO DOLLARS AND FIFTY CENTS, what the everloving FUCK.

Comments

32 Responses to “Day one dispatch”

1. Julia on January 9th, 2007 12:56 am

I have that exact same toothbrush and leave-in hair conditioner sitting on my bathroom counter. And now back to researching economic policy in Washington state. Because college is SO awesome. I’m wishing for a tradeshow at this point.

2. Jem on January 9th, 2007 1:15 am

Diet Coke in NZ is $2.60 generally…you mean its cheaper over there? Awesome.

3. serror on January 9th, 2007 1:28 am

Don’t mean to be creepy-stalker-online-friend, but I think I stayed in the same hotel downtown. Positive, in fact, since I remember that sink (which I also slobbed up) The products in the bathroom were awesome and there is actually a great little cafe on the gym level, where I ate breakfast several times.

PS. There is a convinience store out the front door and a half block down the street for cheaper soda. I went there for the exact reason of not paying 2.50!

4. Swistle on January 9th, 2007 5:23 am

I’m so glad you’re still blogging even from there–I was bracing for a week of no Sundry.

Look at you, looking all tiny in that last shot. Slim as a grasshopper.

5. Kaire on January 9th, 2007 5:54 am

Oh I want the whole hotel, trip thingie, minus the suckage of having to work! Oh isn’t that called a vacation? Maybe someday I’ll get to take one of those!!!

6. warcrygirl on January 9th, 2007 6:20 am

We wouldn’t be female if we didn’t slob up at least one surface in a bathroom. Enjoy your week, CA weather is divine.

7. Jessie on January 9th, 2007 6:41 am

Mmm…some delicious Thai food sounds awesome right about now (even if it is only about 8 o’clock in the morning, I’m hungry!). Glad it’s going well so far!

8. mandy on January 9th, 2007 6:42 am

You look so thin in that bathroom photo. Barely even there…geesh. Hate you.
    I hope you enjoy your week alone.

9. Mona on January 9th, 2007 7:19 am

I find it fascinating what people use to identify their luggage. I use bright 70’s scarves I bought at a thrift store. I saw once this entire family with different colored loofah sponges as tags.

And I’d totally outslob you anytime.

10. katie on January 9th, 2007 7:35 am

hey there. i used to be miralogue, who came and went from d-land…. anyway. we have the same hairdryer! rock on.

11. Amy on January 9th, 2007 7:37 am

So glad to hear from you this week!

So the drear in Seattle is never-ending in the winter? Like, not even a glimpse of sun? (We’re considering a future move…)

12. Ang on January 9th, 2007 7:38 am

$2.50 is freakin’ crazy for a bottle of Diet Coke.

But, I’d pay it…

13. TB on January 9th, 2007 7:46 am

I’m dying to see Pan’s Labyrinth but it’s still in limited release so it might be awhile. We’re going to London in two weeks (hello second babymoon, what a great idea) and I have a feeling I’ll have a better chance of catching it there than in our little two movie theatre town.

14. Mary O on January 9th, 2007 8:08 am

Is that the Omni Hotel? It looks familiar. Their beds are super comfy!

15. Jenny on January 9th, 2007 8:28 am

I like “Black Suitcase Differentiation System” and I may steal it for personal use. Mine is some (now incredibly squashed) red and gold curly-ribbon. We took a trip right after Christmas several years ago and I had forgotten to apply the BSDS to my then-new black suitcase, and grabbed the ribbon off the kitchen table wrapping station. Shockingly, it’s survived rather well.

16. HollowSquirrel on January 9th, 2007 8:38 am

Your toothbrush is huge. Do you have a separate suitcase for it? San Fran looks gorgeous. And the big old bed all to yourself in semi-quiet? Jealous!

17. Elizabeth on January 9th, 2007 8:58 am

I’ve had the same “Black Suitcase Differentiation System” since 2001, involving some very bright and raggedy red and green yarn tied to the handle. Effective, if not entirely classy.

18. Cari on January 9th, 2007 9:45 am

I was going to comment on how tiny you look in that mirror too! I hope post-pregnancy is as kind to me in a couple months. (Is that even a sentence…?) You’re about the same size as the toothbrush, I’d wager; I have the same one, too, and I love it. I brought it to a friend’s once and her husband wondered if I didn’t mean to leave it in my bedroom, if you know what I mean…

19. Hulda on January 9th, 2007 9:56 am

Oh my god, if you have time, you should totally go to Marlena’s Bar, all the info is on this site:

I went to San Francisco with my husband last summer (conference in the Moscone as well), and I really wanted to see a drag show and everyone says they’re the best, and they’re right, it’s an awesome show.

The place is tiny but there’s no cover charge, they just want you to buy drinks and enjoy yourself and tip the performers. So much fun!

They have a show every 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month, so the next one is this Saturday. You should totally go and take lots of pictures please, they love that :)

Enjoy your time in San Fran!

20. love squalor on January 9th, 2007 10:12 am

stunning photos! have a great trip.

21. Bianca on January 9th, 2007 10:46 am

Did I not tell you about the theatre?! I’m so glad you went. Look, I’m appointing myself your San Francisco tourist guide and since you do look terribly skinny in that last picture I surmise you need to go to Dottie’s for breakfast one of these days while you’re down here. Sundry, I’m not joking, their French toast is the best. Better than the French toast in France, I’m sure of it!

It’s in a bit of a seedy neighborhood, I’ll admit but in the morning it’s fine. Drag some friends with you for protection from the crazies. It’s probably about 8-10 blocks from Moscone on Jones St. between Geary and O’farrell. If you go for breakfast it will be easy to spot because there is usually a line.

It’s so worth it. You have my email if you need any other recommendations.

22. rebecca on January 9th, 2007 10:58 am

Hey! I’ve stayed at that hotel too during one of my many Moscone Center tradeshow visits. :) As much as you miss Riley, it IS kind of fun to get away sometimes and enjoy San Francisco. I usually like to make a pilgrimage to the giant Macy’s in Union Square.

23. Lesley on January 9th, 2007 2:45 pm

That does it, I’m buying a Nikon D70 – that first shot is gorgeousis. And no window smudges.

24. Amanda on January 9th, 2007 3:16 pm

Welcome to my home town! Hope you have as much fun as you can while working… If you need any tips on places to go or eat, send me an email. Otherwise, enjoy the sunny weather, and hit H&M and Lush as well as Bloomingdales.

25. Elizabeth on January 9th, 2007 5:20 pm

Oh I love blogging/reading blogs about traveling. I was so hoping you’d post and yayyy, you did! :)
    As far as my system of black suitcase differentiation goes, I have this hot pink disk that I punched a hole in and put it on a chain around the handle. Miraculously, on my way home from Thanksgiving, I watched all the luggage go by and trudged over to the little desk to report my bag as lost. I even gave them all my information before a guy dragged in some leftover bags and I noticed my name on the little ID tag. My pink circle thing was no more!!! Now I use a tweed suitcase, which I can always spot coming down the belt. And hey, I once paid something like $3 for a regular-sized muffin at the JFK airport. So sad, yet I was so hungry. [/drivel]
    Have fun in San Fran!

26. Nancy on January 9th, 2007 6:44 pm

I too am desperate for your talent and your camera. All of the photos are gorgeous, and thanks for being a tourist for me because I don’t know when I will get to go somewhere cool.

27. Melanie on January 9th, 2007 8:08 pm

I’m jealous, I want to visit San Francisco so badly!!! Your hotel looks nice and the photos are great – the view flying into the city is gorgeous. Have a great week!!

28. LIsa on January 9th, 2007 9:40 pm

Do you do sushi? If so – BLOWFISH. Seriously – http://www.blowfishsushi.com/webform1.aspx Best Sushi Evah.

29. Mrs. Breedorf on January 9th, 2007 9:49 pm

I am stunned by the photos. I want to take pictures like that.

30. kim de kimblahg on January 9th, 2007 10:39 pm

I am jealous. Also, that first photo of your flight is gorgeous.

31. JesseNewst on March 8th, 2007 7:16 pm

I wonder , were to find boyfriend to my sister? Joke:)
    My online friends propose this link to use –TOP10 – As for me, I think life is now!!!

32. bodytalk system on November 3rd, 2009 11:45 pm

The photos looks cool, you got some skills in taking picture..