August 6, 2007

In this weekend’s issue of Gender F in the Seattle Times the topic at hand was women and the workplace, which included the inevitable focus on work/family balance. I found the entire piece really interesting, but I was particularly struck by this statement made by Pierre Kaplan, mother of a 4-year old and a VP at Nintendo:

But to me, whether mothers should work or not work is a hollow question for women who have that choice. What you need, no matter what your circumstance, is a passion for life you can demonstrate to your kids.

I need to learn how to cross-stitch, because that deserves to be hung on a wall in my house and contemplated daily.

I have felt guilty for not wanting to stay home full time, and I have found myself feeling paranoid that those who do stay home are better mothers than I am. Despite everything I strongly believe about individual situations and individual choices, there’s a part of me that wonders if I’m not as dedicated of a parent for choosing to be apart from my son three days a week—for not doing everything I can to make staying at home a priority.

I’ve also been thinking about how our lives are going to change next year, and what it’s going to be like having two kids in daycare (other than expensive, that is).

The truth is, though, in our current situation and for the foreseeable future I don’t want to stay home. I want all the benefits that my job gives me and my family (I wrote about some of them here). If I were at home full time, I know I would be unhappy, and that’s not the kind of parent—or person—I want to be.

I love Kaplan’s quote because it’s both reassuring to me and inspiring. Lately I’ve been feeling so run down, so uninspired at my job and so bogged down in tedium at home, and it’s hard not to moaningly think, oh, things are always going to be like this. But I can’t think that way, because if things really and truly don’t improve there are steps I need to take to make things better. A new job, more work-from-home freelance work, a side project, more activities with Riley, parenting classes . . . something different, something to change the picture.

This is my responsibility, to give my life passion. I don’t exactly know how to get there, what risks and choices might be involved, but I believe the process of seeking it out is integral to becoming a stronger parent. I know I am a more patient, creative, and happy mother when I feel like I’ve got some momentum going on, when I’m not just treading water and hoping to stay afloat.

There are days when I allow myself to feel burdened by parenthood, as though all the exciting options life has to offer are now closed to me. Like I am trapped on some dreary path littered with sippy cups and diapers, with no exit in sight. And it’s so foolish, really, to be that myopic. To lose sight of the fact that yes, life is busier now and filled with chores and tasks and moments of tedium, but it is also impossibly full, in ways I could never have achieved on my own.

Life is rich with promise. It is expandable.

Comments

161 Responses to “Momentum”

1. microsoft toolkit on November 20th, 2014 2:43 pm

The main goal of these devices is voice communication; however through data plans and web applications, users can have unlimited
    access to the web. For a free option, Celtx is a favorite of penniless screenwriters
    and film students. But PDF allows image data to be
    stored in external files by the use of external streams or Alternate Images.

2. honeywell electronic air cleaner on January 28th, 2015 10:33 pm

Hey there! This is kind of off topic but I need
    some guidance from an established blog. Is it very hard
    to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast.
    I’m thinking about creating my own but I’m not sure where to
    begin. Do you have any points or suggestions? Thank you

My site honeywell electronic air cleaner

3. airport parking cheap on February 23rd, 2015 3:44 am

Hello, always i used to check blog posts here early in the dawn, as i love to gain knowledge of more and more.|

4. push lawn mower on February 23rd, 2015 4:34 am

Thanks for sharing your info. I truly appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your further post thank you once again.|

5. Www.smartsoft.co.in on February 23rd, 2015 8:09 pm

Very good site you have here but I waas wondering if you knew off
    anyy uer discussion forums that cover thee same topics discussed here?
    I’d really love tto be a part oof community where Icann get suggestions from other knowledgeable individuals that share the same interest.

If you have any recommendations, please let me
    know. Cheers!

Viisit my website :: Avokati Beograd (http://Www.smartsoft.co.in)

6. sebo vacuums on February 23rd, 2015 10:31 pm

Hey! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could locate a captcha plugin for my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having trouble finding one? Thanks a lot!|

7. vacuum cleaners reviews on February 24th, 2015 2:38 am

Stunning quest there. What occurred after? Thanks!|

8. pelvic mesh law suits on February 24th, 2015 2:54 am

I’m amazed, I have to admit. Seldom do I come across a blog that’s both equally educative and interesting, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head. The problem is an issue that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy I stumbled across this in my search for something regarding this.

9. website on September 13th, 2015 5:52 pm

About 54 million lbs of textiles have been gathered by USAgain reusing
    bins in the United States during 2014.

The country’s textile reuser provides a release which gives unwanted clothes a second existence
    through a web of thousands of reusing bins positioned nationally.
    With redirecting 54 ,000,000 pounds of cloth, USAgain together with its clients avoided 378 million lbs of co2 away from entering into
    surroundings, protected greater than 75.6 billion gallons water, together with 308,571 cubic meters of land fill
    place.

USAgain recycle plans are organized together with cities,
    area firms, occasion centered community generates and fundraising of universities and even non-profits.
    About 12,500 clothes collection bins located in 19 states supply customers
    a convenient approach with getting rid of their own unwanted garments or shoes using an eco responsible
    approach.

“All of us desire to minimize the depressing results of items on our atmosphere by way of
    raising recycling and reuse. Its important
    is to make textile recycling a beneficial part of existence,
    ” said Mattias Wallander, Boss of USAgain. “Clothing recycle projects are receiving focus with cities which has a goal to increase the
    general waste disruption levels and also we’re
    also working faithfully to help the goal”

10. SEO services on November 30th, 2015 4:03 am

SEO services…

Momentum : All & Sundry…

11. satellite internet deals on January 26th, 2016 4:06 pm

Hello colleagues, good piece of writing and nice urging commented at this place, I am truly enjoying by these.|