Me: “Um, what the hell is this?”

JB: “What?”

catrap_07.jpg

Me: “This. On the sofa. The trap you left me. Where if I sit down next to those pillows a clawed foot will come out and hook me.”

JB: “That’s not a trap. I made a hive for Cat.”

Me: “A . . . cat hive.”

JB: “Yes. A cat hive.”

Me: “Cats don’t have hives.”

JB: “Well what else would you call that?”

Me: “A TRAP.”

JB: “It’s clearly a hive.”

Me: “I will ask my blog readers and if the consensus is that it’s a trap, you owe me twenty bucks.”

JB: “What do I get if they say it’s a hive?”

Me: “What do you think you should get?”

JB: *knowing leer*

The time for voting is NOW. Trap or hive?

catrap2_07.jpg

(ETA: I’ve closed comments so I can laboriously tally the data. Thanks for your vote! Remember Cat in November!)

Comments

170 Responses to “A slow Thursday night, before Survivor started”

1. Liz in Australia on November 16th, 2007 9:39 pm

Sorry, JB, but I have to vote trap.

2. Ashley on November 16th, 2007 9:59 pm

These comments are cracking my shit up!

3. Becky on November 16th, 2007 10:09 pm

that is totally a trap….like oh here Sundry…come sit on the couch..don’t mind those pillows…or the evil cat claw that will dart out from underneath..causing you to possibly injure yourself while trying to move your preggo body out of the way….

4. Kim on November 16th, 2007 10:30 pm

Can I be difficult and say LAIR?
    answers.com said:
    The den or dwelling of a wild animal. A den or hideaway. Obsolete. A resting place; a couch.
    I rest my case.

5. Lori on November 16th, 2007 10:31 pm

Trap. TRAP TRAP TRAP TRAP.

Also: Trap.

Sorry, JB.

6. Cali911Gal on November 16th, 2007 10:48 pm

It’s an ass trap, as in, the cat is trapped, and if you sit your ass down, you are going to get zapped. A trap, definitely.

7. Amy on November 17th, 2007 5:26 am

hive…

8. cardiogirl on November 17th, 2007 5:51 am

Oh, too bad you didn’t make this a poll (pollcode.com). This would have been awesome.

Anyway I, too, would like you to win. But the photo of the cat’s head popping up looks too cozy and comfy. I have to go with Hive.

So sorry.

9. J on November 17th, 2007 7:10 am

Hive. Trap implies some kind of reliable mechanical operation; no device involving a cat could ever be described as ‘reliable’. Hive, on the other hand, seems to imply the dwelling some kind of pseudo-malevolent group consciousness. Sounds like a cat house to me.

10. Rae on November 17th, 2007 8:34 am

I’d go with trap, knowing that things can happen when accidentally sitting near cats you didn’t realize were there. However, my hubby is siding with your hubby saying “hive” because when you have cats, you as human need to keep a better eye out for them and then they have no traps ever.

11. Andee on November 17th, 2007 8:40 am

The way Cat looks there? Definitely a trap!

12. Amber on November 17th, 2007 8:41 am

Wow, it’s looking pretty 50-50 to me, so I’d better weigh in. I wouldn’t call it a ‘hive’. Cats don’t have hives, like everyone else said, they have LAIRS. But although he may have worded it incorrectly, cat does seem to enjoy it. So…I’ll just shut up now.

13. Amber on November 17th, 2007 8:42 am

Eee! I just read the clarification. TRAP! It’s definitely a TRAP!

14. Chaya on November 17th, 2007 11:16 am

Dude. That is so a trap. JB could have built a “hive” for Cat anywhere, but to put it on the couch where you are used to flopping down… TRAP.

15. Cassandra on November 17th, 2007 11:17 am

It may be a hive for the cat (if cats even cared for hives), but it’s DEFINITELY a trap for you. So I go with trap.

16. Anais on November 17th, 2007 11:25 am

If Cat were a sweet, innocent feline, then I’d totally say HIVE, but we all know that Cat is “the embodiment of evil” (as Susie said), so TRAP it is! Sorry, Linda.

By the way, as a black cat owner myself, I totally love how adorable Cat looks in those pictures.

17. Anais on November 17th, 2007 11:26 am

Ah, I meant to put “Sorry, JB.”

Oh well.

18. victoria on November 17th, 2007 11:37 am

Trap. Cats don’t have hives.

19. sundry on November 17th, 2007 11:58 am

TALLYING THE VOTES NOW! Comments are now closed so as to preserve the authenticity of the DATA. Ahem.

20. Flotsam » Fathead. on January 29th, 2009 7:50 pm

[…] Anyhow, I managed to unearth my one pair of fancy pants from a bag of dry cleaning that one of the cats had been using as a lair. The pants in question appeared to be made entirely of cat hair when I found them, but I recognized the label and knew that there was perfectly good black material underneath. After I had removed the worst of the furriness with duct tape, I hung the pants in the bathroom with the shower running in an attempt to steam out the 6-month-old creases. We do own an iron, by the way, but I am ashamed to say that it wasn’t until later in the afternoon that I even remembered the existence of such a fantastical, fabric-smoothing appliance. Luckily, the never worn button-down shirt I paired with the pants still had creases running down the arms, so I figured “creases” could be the unifying theme tying my outfit together. Missing from my ensemble was underwear, because I couldn’t find any. […]