Excuse me but I would like to make an announcement. Ahem.

THE BABY IS SMILING. REPEAT, WE HAVE ACTUAL NO-SHIT ON PURPOSE SMILING.

smile3_308.jpg

smile1_308.jpg

Also, pouting.

sadface_308.jpg

But the SMILING, good god. All of a sudden with the goony SMILING and the cooing sounds and the EYE CONTACT.

Am mushy. Cannot type. Too busy talking in a ridiculously high-pitched voice, doling out belly zerberts, nibbling baby toes, acting like a love-drunk fool, etc.

smile2_308.jpg

Comments

65 Responses to “Things just got a lot easier”

1. Karen on March 25th, 2008 7:15 pm

There definitely is something to the whole 6 or 8 week magic, isn’t there? Hard to convince someone at the 2 week mark, but OH – isn’t it a delicious, fabulous relief?!!
    Enjoy. And yay.

K

2. Lesley on March 25th, 2008 11:16 pm

If I were going to build a Shakespearean theater, I’d place that pic of frowny Dylan on the left and the smiley last pic of D on the right. He is too cute for words. TOO CUTE!

3. emily on March 26th, 2008 6:06 am

Sooo happy for you! He is just gorgeous!

4. Andrea on March 26th, 2008 7:27 am

Best. feeling. ever. to have your kid smile at you for the first time. At least until they utter that first, “I love you, Mama.”

5. Sara on March 26th, 2008 8:02 am

Dylan is ridiculously cute, which should be no surprise because Riley is also ridiculously cute, but still: RIDICULOUSLY CUTE. That smile totally made my morning.

6. andi on March 26th, 2008 8:03 am

Ah, the transition from non-stop eating/crying/pooping/projectile vomiting machine to eye-contact-making/smiling/occasionally calm human being is one of my favorite parts of this crazy baby thing.

7. dmb5_libra on March 26th, 2008 8:34 am

Ahhhhh! OMG! So cute. I want to eat him.

Just to let you know, my sister turned me on to your blog in July 2007. So much so, that I had to read it all the way from the very beginning. It was like a cram session. I read on the subway, in the car, in the elevator, during lunch, during work, etc. I finally caught up and I LOVE YOUR BLOG.

8. Chris on March 26th, 2008 9:29 am

and that right there is what makes it all worthwhile.

also, I’ve said it from the moment he hit the atmosphere, but dammit if he doesn’t look just like Riley and his Daddy. I can’t wait for the first picture of the boys together, both with that furrowed brow worry face.

9. Julie on March 26th, 2008 12:38 pm

OMG…love those pictures!

10. pam on March 26th, 2008 2:00 pm

my three wee ones just started doing it too, and it kills me. the grins, the pouts, and the chin quivers. happy sigh…

11. banana on March 26th, 2008 2:59 pm

He looks SO MUCH like JB.

Also, you make cute babies.

12. Alyson on March 26th, 2008 5:26 pm

Baby making pretty baby faces!

Almost makes me want another one…….at 46…….ah……NOPE!

I’ll volunteer to babysit, however – too young to do the grandma thing – YET! (you hear that sons-o-mine?)

13. Ashlea on March 26th, 2008 7:56 pm

Congrats on the smiles (even though they don’t look like smiles to my 21 year old “I don’t ever want children” fiery eyes). Glad that it finally seems like the give give give factor is beginning to reverse as he starts to give smiles.

..I really wanted to comment on the latest flicker picture of Cat but seeing as I don’t have a flicker account… I’ll say it here.

“Hmmm.. My astronomy professor would be most fascinating by this relatively local black hole that seems to have taken residence in Washington..”

14. Rebecca on March 27th, 2008 12:15 am

Finally a payoff for what feels like years of indentured servitude! Congrats!

Reading about being a new parent again brings back the memories of mine when she was new. It’s only been 4 1/2 years and I only remember being vaguely tired and the utter happiness of this stage where you are the center of their emotional universe.

These are the moments that you will remember.

15. y7qx tits v8k9 on July 2nd, 2011 12:28 am

Things just got a lot easier.. Neat :)