There were two days in a row when I successfully put Dylan down for a nap the same time as Riley and then had two (TWO) lovely hours all to myself and at the time I thought AH HA, I have totally figured out this baby’s schedule and now everything is going to be so EASY! And then he was all, excuse me but I think I’d like to spend about a week sleeping in 10-minute intervals during the day, does that work for you? And I was all, well, shitballs.

He’s not entirely predictable about how he chooses to spend his daylight hours but oh my god he is such a good baby at night. He usually goes down around 8 PM in his crib, and JB wakes him up around 11 for a last feeding before putting him back to bed. His one night-time wakening happens anywhere between 3-5, and it is completely painless: he milkpigs 4 or 5 ounces, farts a few times (he is such a frat boy), then falls back asleep in his swing.

(And now that I’ve described this fantastic behavior I’ve probably doomed myself to an entirely new routine involving round-the-clock feedings and a sustained bout of screaming from 2 AM onward.)

It makes such a HUGE difference when babies start sleeping more. I don’t even think I was aware of how fractured I was feeling as a result of not getting enough sleep, I just powered entire cases of energy drinks at a time and tried to ignore the fact whenever I stopped moving for five seconds my eyes drooped shut and a line of slobber hung from my lower lip.

Oh, and the other big difference? Getting him out of our bedroom. I knew that would help and yet I resisted it, but now that he’s at least starting out the night in his crib and I’m not waking up over every snort and whuffle (and I’m not getting up to feed him at his first squeak), I think both of us are resting better.

In other news that has nothing to do with babies, sleeping or otherwise, JB has been wearing these beige camo-print cargo shorts paired with white socks and clunky Keen shoes, and it is SO DORKY LOOKING, in a very Pacific Northwest dorky kind of way. However, when I made fun of his ensemble, I couldn’t come up with an answer to his question of what the fucking hell he’s supposed to wear with shorts then, Mrs. Fashion Plate?

So what do you think? What should a guy wear with cargo shorts when it’s not quite warm enough to sport the open-toed Teva mandals?

Comments

88 Responses to “Sleeping, shoes”

1. Jennifer on May 1st, 2008 4:43 pm

The Walrus is a big fan of flip flops year round but opts for running shoes with anklet socks or chucks with no socks if it’s raining. The Keens don’t look too bad, do they? As long as JB’s wearing them with minimal sockage and not black dress socks with sock garters I’d think they’d be fine!

Anything but Jerusalem Cruisers!

2. wn on May 1st, 2008 4:52 pm

One word – Vans

3. Anonymous on May 1st, 2008 5:23 pm

I bet he stays a good sleeper. Riley was, mostly, right? You guys train them right.

My boyfriend and brother both work in a warehouse in Texas (Remember when I dork-mailed you about how my brother runs the warehouse for Despair? My boyfriend screenprints their t-shirts now, too.) so both tennis shoes and shorts are pretty much a must, daily. I suggest a sporty, rather than fashion-y pair of tennis shoes, paired with below-the-ankle socks. Good luck.

4. squandra on May 1st, 2008 5:24 pm

That would be me. Also, oh yeah, Vans!

5. anna on May 1st, 2008 5:29 pm

NO show socks (cos even though they are dorky and jock-tennis-like no one can actually see them so its all good)and some street sneakers like Vans, Adidas dressy kinda sneakers, or something like that….

Poor JB with his shoe/sock issues….

6. Christine on May 1st, 2008 5:54 pm

Low profile tennis shoes–Vans or Adidas are good.

7. MLE on May 1st, 2008 5:59 pm

My husband is of the opinion that if it can’t be done in Chuck Taylors, it isn’t worth doing, which is why he wore chucks with his kilt for the wedding. He wears Chucks with everything. So I’m going to vote low-top Chucks with low socks.

8. Eleanor Q. on May 1st, 2008 6:07 pm

Sneakers with no socks of course!

9. biscuit on May 1st, 2008 6:35 pm

My hubby wears North Face hiking sneakers with his cargo shorts. He looks so outdoorsy + hot. JB should hit up REI!

Around the house I wear my Nick + Nora sock monkey slippers, they go with EVERYTHING in my humble opinion. JB should consider that one too because NOTHING is worse than socks with sandals especially socks with CROCS. *YAK*

10. biscuit on May 1st, 2008 6:37 pm

PS: I pissed my pants @ “Jerusalem Cruisers”!!!

11. Naomi in Oz on May 1st, 2008 6:46 pm

Well, my guy is a jeans and trainers guy all year round. He doesn’t own sandals, he does have thongs (flipflops) for the beach, but he still usually wears jeans. He does own a pair of shorts, but they are the short Aussie Rules Football shorts, and since he stopped playing footy, he only wears them swimming. This post came at the wrong time though, because we are leaving chilly australia (18C and raining atm) for hot and sweaty singapore (32C & 95% humidity) shortly – just for a holiday – and I nearly had the man convinced that he needs some long shorts and some mandals and then he read your post and now he won’t buy sandals or shorts. :-(

12. ikate on May 1st, 2008 7:34 pm

Of topic – Linda, aren’t you so happy there are people like PD commenters Jessica and Mel out there raising children?? Make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :)

13. CA on May 1st, 2008 8:06 pm

short white athletic socks and non-white sneakers.

14. Anonymous on May 1st, 2008 8:35 pm

I agree with Cassandra, if it’s too cold to wear sandals, then it’s too cold to wear shorts, but because guys have these issues then I would suggest boat shoes.

15. Karen on May 1st, 2008 8:54 pm

OK, I have nothing to add to all the high-value fashion advice above….. YET, just remind yourself now and again…. that pic of the other day? where you guys are OUTSIDE and it’s not snowing or pissing? Rejoice. We are too. I’m just happy to see my husband’s pale white calves rather than ski pants!!!

K

16. angela on May 1st, 2008 10:04 pm

Throw out the shorts! They are horrible and unflattering on EVERYONE. Everyone!! Loose yourselves from the shackling scourge of shorts!!!

17. Amber on May 1st, 2008 10:47 pm
  18. Wendy Murphy on May 2nd, 2008 6:06 am

When you are done with the fashion nazis, please send them to my house. My dork, I mean lovng hubby, wears those shorts with two pair of knee high socks (wool over white sweatsocks) and white sneakers or his steel toed workboots.
    Then turn them on me, I’m sure I could use the help too!

19. Christie on May 2nd, 2008 6:11 am

Unfortunately I can give no good advice on this and here is why: When we first married my husband HATED sandals…of any kind! He had a pair of HORRIBLE boat shoes that he wore with white socks and it made me crazy. I finally talked him into a pair of sandals while living in Florida (he’s a Navy boy) but they were closed toe and closed heel (which to me is a shoe and not a sandal but thats a whole different arguement). I am a fan of the flip flop and I owne them in many beautiful colors and styles (none of which cost more than $15)all of which he disliked. One day out of the blue, my husband became Mr. Fashion and wanted a pair of flip flops. After a lot of looking around he finally found a pair and when the cashier gave me the total I about shit my pants…$58.56! For real, for a pair of f’in flip flops. We now reside in Northern Illinois about a mile from Lake Michigan and it is still not very spring like around here and my husband is already wearing his flops… every day! He wears them with jeans or shorts and in fact a few weeks ago it was snowing and he had them on…so my husband would suggest just sporting the sandals anyway rather it was warm enough or not.

20. babs on May 2nd, 2008 6:48 am

Blundstones dude. With cool hiking socks.

21. Bethiclaus on May 2nd, 2008 7:06 am

My policy is: Warm enough for shorts? Warm enough for sandals.

22. JuJuBee on May 2nd, 2008 7:31 am

Guys have the easiest clothing problems…if only that was all we had to worry about when getting dressed.

23. Alley on May 2nd, 2008 8:09 am

Socks should never, ever, ever be worn with sandals. That being said, my dorky husband wears sneakers year round. I can occasionally get him into sandals when it’s really hot, but otherwise, he’s in socks and Nikes alll the time. I’ve practically given up on trying to get him to dress better.

24. T on May 2nd, 2008 8:37 am

he needs to ditch the white socks. something more natural colored would be much less offensive.

25. Kerri on May 2nd, 2008 9:30 am

Docksiders or comfy loafers. No socks, unless he wants to come to NJ and be called a Benny.

26. Kerri on May 2nd, 2008 9:51 am

Or those Vans with no laces…

27. Jenny on May 2nd, 2008 10:23 am

Low-top Converse (Chuck Taylors) with no socks is really nice-looking. Take a look at jcrew.com’s men scenes for other ideas.

28. Kelly on May 2nd, 2008 12:17 pm

John Varvatos converse.

29. Sunshyn on May 2nd, 2008 12:56 pm

Sperry topsiders, no socks. Or construction boots and socks that come above. Doc Martens?

30. Misguided mommy on May 2nd, 2008 10:14 pm

leather flip flops silly

31. Jean on May 3rd, 2008 6:24 pm

I agree with whoever said if it’s not hot enough for flip flops, don’t wear shorts! There is no other solution.

32. Suki on May 4th, 2008 11:50 am

Converse low tops, NO socks.

33. Lori O on May 5th, 2008 10:20 am

If he can wear shorts, then he can wear sandals. Otherwise maybe running shoes with ankle socks…

34. puma sandals on July 11th, 2009 6:03 am

Puma sandals are very beatiful and particular.Many people like them.

35. bodytalk system on November 4th, 2009 12:07 am

Addidas sandals looks good and comfortable..

36. lebron james shoes on November 4th, 2009 12:09 am

I would suggest nike sandals the brand for all..

37. http://www.wpowerakku.com on April 9th, 2013 11:23 pm

A person necessarily assist to make seriously posts I might state.
    This is the first time I frequented your web page and
    thus far? I surprised with the research you made to create this particular publish extraordinary.

Great process!

38. Antome on January 16th, 2016 9:16 am

If I recap correctly :).
    If it’s warm enough to wear shorts, it’s warm enough to wear sandals, not shoes with socks.
    Some wear loafers without socks, but socks are comfier if we wear shoes.