JB gave me an adorable little Canon ELPH camera for Christmas, which was something I’d been wanting for a while. It’s not exactly in the same ballpark as my D70 in terms of picture quality but it has the highly redeeming feature of being small and light and easy to keep in my purse. Plus, it captures movies, which I feel is a handy function to have at the ready, because what if I had one of those alien-abduction experiences and there was no way to accurately document the process of being anally probed? I’d just be another questionable source raving about little green men, instead of a credible journalist sporting irrefutable proof, including length AND girth of the probing materials. Maybe they use special rods, maybe they use giant Oh Boy! Oberto Sausage Sticks — really, there’s no way to know by photos alone, you really want video for this sort of in-depth information.

Anyway, while I remain vigilant for any close encounters, it’s been nice to be able to grab an image or two of whatever we’re out doing. Like dorking around at the library:

librarymedylan.jpg

libraryjbriley.jpg

Watching the kids riding the various coin-operated vehicles at the mall:

dylanrileytrain_mall.jpg

dylanrileycar_mall.jpg

dylanrileycopter_mall.jpg

Whiling away time as I wait in the car with the kids:

mirrorpictruckdylan.jpg

And driving by a couple of Seattle’s more colorful businesses:

eroticbakerysign.jpg

highmaintenancesign.jpg

Really, I kind of love this camera. It’s a nice way to detach from my normal fiddly process of trying for the Best Picture Possible and just aiming and hitting the button to create a memory. Very cool present, and one that’s going to get used a lot this year.

Tell me, what was one of your favorite holiday gifts?

Comments

75 Responses to “Favorite things”

1. Jen on January 2nd, 2009 12:46 pm

Your kids are so cute I can barely stand it! Seriously- AHH!

Oh and I got the SAME camera for Xmas- so my favorite gift would have to be the same as yours… : )

2. Dina on January 2nd, 2009 12:55 pm

I have a digital elph as well and I love it.. I am not lucky enough to have the SLR BUT I like just having my camera on me at all times.
    However, my favorite present this year has to be my new MZ Wallace handbag! It has just enough room- tons of pockets for organizing- and is super chic looking!

3. shal on January 2nd, 2009 1:54 pm

I see you were in our neighborhood. We’re Klassy. My favorite gift was a water-resistant stroller blanket for each child so that I can actually go outside this winter and walk around the Klassy Neighborhood instead of staying inside where I will go crazy. It was also my only gift, as we are crazy vegan hippies who only do handmade Christmas, don’t believe in consumerism, and ride to work on bike. Or something (not really, just too cheap to buy any real presents for ourselves).

4. LLL on January 2nd, 2009 1:58 pm

Similarly,

I got an Olympus Stylus 850 SW. I had the Elf and well, my two-year old dropped it one too many time (she loves the camera and doing it “myself”). The Stylus is great for on the go shots and little movies. But even better because its shock proof, waterproof and freezeproof (read “toddler proof”) — giving me peace of mind and something I can let her play with. All of this came in handy during blizzard 2008 in Portland, OR.

5. domesticrazy on January 2nd, 2009 1:58 pm

I love the pic of Dylan waving his hand behind you! I can imagine the noises to accompany the movement…

My favorite gift was my hydroponic garden. It’s an AeroGarden, and the herbs have already sprouted! And man, if I was still in college that sentence would mean a WHOLE DIFFERENT THING. Not the basil and thyme it actually means. Sigh.

6. Amy on January 2nd, 2009 2:32 pm

Sad but true, my favorite gift (other than the handmade things from my kids) is a little coffee mug warmer for my desk at work. As a working mom….caffiene is all important in my life and unless specifically ordered, is much better hot!

7. Kendra on January 2nd, 2009 3:13 pm

Two favorites this year:

My Harvey’s seatbelt bag and a memory quilt made out of my old t-shirts (and backed with deliciously soft flannel!)

8. Kari on January 2nd, 2009 3:32 pm

OmegaMom: High Maintenance Bitch is a pet store – a great one, in fact.

I love the pictures of the boys. You really can capture their personalities.

My favorite gift was the box set of Six Feet Under. The packaging is so great, though, that I don’t want to take it out. I also got the Top Chef cookbook and it has lots of Colicchio goodness in it.

9. Kelly on January 2nd, 2009 4:02 pm

I got a pair of plaid boyfriend pajamas from Victoria’s Secret. I could wear them all day. Oh, wait I already have.

10. Sonia on January 2nd, 2009 4:33 pm

I got a jewelry set of my birthstone, peridot. I love it!! My hubby found a really beautiful, unique set. I also got (from my boss) a neat little countertop computer called a miBook, that has memory cards loaded with recipes. It gives you step by step instructions on meals, as well as fancy desserts. I’m going to try my first dessert tonight.

11. Jennifer on January 2nd, 2009 4:37 pm

I only got one Christmas gift since that’s how we roll but it was a goodie – a brand new iPod nano! I love it. My old one didn’t have a ton of memory so I’m having a lot of fun downloading podcasts and shuffling through more than 50 songs.

12. Erica on January 2nd, 2009 7:29 pm

This year, my in-laws gave me cash (is there anything better?) and I used it to purchase a Roomba, which should arrive on Monday. I already know I am going to love it more than anything else.

I am insanely jealous of Kari and her Six Feet Under Box Set. That’s been on my wish list for ages – my husband really needs to spring for that when my birthday rolls around this year.

13. Joan on January 2nd, 2009 7:31 pm

I got the same camera…I love it so much. I asked for the canon rebel, but my husband in his ultimate wisdom bought me both. He made me choose, because he knows I am an asshole. And knew I would never use the features of the rebel, nor would my neck be strong enough to carry it around with me. One photo shoot, and my head would be laying a ditch, while my feeble fingers were still trying to find the ..umm ..you know that button that makes the camera flash. I love the Canon…great camera, and so light..heh.

14. Amy on January 2nd, 2009 8:45 pm

We got ourselves the Flip video camera for that very same reason this Christmas. I wanted to have something small on hand at all times to document the kids’ activities. I take photos of them constantly, but you’re right. As with anal probing aliens, kid activity also benefits from the video cam. :-)

15. Melissa on January 3rd, 2009 5:09 am

thrilled with my new iPhone!!

16. Stephanie on January 3rd, 2009 10:34 am

My husband got me the best gift he has ever gotten me. A professional series 6 quart KitchenAid mixer. I about shat in my pants when I opened it.

17. Erin on January 3rd, 2009 10:53 am

Andrew Bird tickets!

18. thejunebug on January 3rd, 2009 1:44 pm

Books. Lots of books. Of course, I had two weeks off which SHOULD have been enough time to enjoy all of them, quietly, perhaps with several thousand cups of tea and leftover christmas candy, but HIS parents visited for the first week and MINE for the 2nd and now I’m wishing for a vacation from my vacation. :(

19. Amanda on January 3rd, 2009 4:03 pm

We built a dollhouse for our girls, seeing it completed and the favorite toy amidst a sea of Barbies, princesses and Dora soccer balls was truly awesome…cause it was seriously a nightmare to construct.

20. taerna on January 3rd, 2009 6:07 pm

we decided to forego gifts to each other in lieu of a trip to India to attend my husband’s sister’s wedding. so, i guess a trip to India was my favorite gift!

21. Lori O on January 3rd, 2009 9:51 pm

I’m commenting on your Twitter about P90X – if you are up for the ultimate challenge and you want to look and feel the best you ever have, then do it. If you don’t have an hour a day for 6 days a week and you are afraid of pain, then don’t do it. It is a freakin’ awesome and grueling program.

I did it a few years ago fairly hardcore to get in shape for my wedding, and I’ve never felt/looked better. I’d like to do it again, now that I’m almost 20 pounds heavier, but frankly, I fear it after having done it. It takes motivation, of which I’m struggling with right now. I pop in some of my favorite workouts from it now and then, but I rarely make it to the end b/c they are hard and I’m out of shape. But that’s my own problem! I say – do it! I’d love to hear what you think about it. Also, I am not in any way affiliated with the creators of P90X, even though I sound like a hired testimonial!

You actually inspired me to get 30 Day Shred, which I finally purchased today, did the Level 1, and almost died. But it felt so good at the same time! Hopefully I can stick with it for a bit. I want to get back to my pre-wedding/pre-baby fit body.

22. Emily on January 3rd, 2009 11:19 pm

I bought myself some massages and a new orla kiely wallet…these are my favorite gifts!

I hope this doesn’t sketch you out, but Dylan seriously makes me want to have kids. He is just the cutest, happiest baby! Well, maybe it is Dylan and turning 29!

23. sooboo on January 4th, 2009 3:07 pm

My favorite gift is my new ipod nano. My attachment to it is a little disturbing.

24. LJ on January 5th, 2009 10:29 am

The best gift ever – a roomba. It rocks… Daily cleaned floors!!!!!

25. Tonya on January 6th, 2009 4:12 pm

My god but your kids get cuter every time you photograph them. Really.
    And favorite gift? Hmm… i’m thinking gift card to anthropologie, though it’ll be a while before this post pregnancy body is ready for what they have to offer. It’ll be worth the wait.