I started writing a very, very long blog entry about my love/hate relationship with comic strips and my detailed observations and opinions on every single one that appears in the daily Seattle Times, from Adam@Home to The Wizard of Id, like whether Frazz is a nice guy who would like us all to know that as a society we watch too much TV, eat too much junk, and don’t ride nearly enough bikes, or just kind of a judgmental douchebag, but about halfway through it occurred to me that 1) pointing out the unintentional humor of comic strips should be left to the people who can do it really, really well, 2) the fact that there are entire subsections of my brain dedicated to strips that I hate, yet know every single excruciating historical detail thereof (LUANNE) is both terrifying and probably explains why I can’t calculate a 15% tip without losing all feeling in the left side of my body, and 3) jesus, it was taking way too long. Suffice to say: I have strong feelings about comic strips, and I should maybe get over myself.

While I was busy deleting all that nonsense I also edited my last post to remove the story about our babysitter because I belatedly thought of the remote possibility that the wrong person might read it and somehow she’d end up getting in trouble at school, and man, that would be awful, so if you’re wondering what’s up with that, that’s what’s up with that. I often allow myself to forget the golden rule of blogging — which is, as you hopefully know, Always Assume The Person You Wish Wasn’t Reading Is — in order to write some of the things I want to write, otherwise I’ll get bogged down with worrying about whether or not I really want my coworkers to know I own a sex pillow (ha ha ha, TOO LATE NOW), but in doing so I sometimes forget that I’m not always writing just about myself and, you know, I should probably be careful where other people’s personal details are concerned.

Anyway, JB and I had a great date night this weekend (two battered, razor-scarred, bludgeoned thumbs up for The Wrestler), the kids love our babysitter, and her kids, who we just met, are super sweet and well-behaved. So I’m thinking that situation is going to work out nicely, and I can’t believe how nice it is to be able to get out of the house on our own. Have I mentioned this is our first babysitter EVER? Like, since Riley was born in 2005?

In other news, I’m really enjoying my little Canon, because without the ease of throwing it in my pocket whenever we leave the house, how would I have captured this lovely moment?

jbpose.jpg

Why there was a Giant Sidewalk Dong, I do not know, but JB would like you to believe it is life-sized.

Comments

50 Responses to “Sunday blather”

1. Kim on January 18th, 2009 3:24 pm

I have really strong feelings about comics too, but I was validated when I saw the movie Go when Timmothy Olyphant’s character tells Katie Holmes’s character how Family Circus is “always there, in the lower right hand corner, just waiting to suck.” And the fact I remember that line so clearly ten years later should let you know how serious (and sad) I am.
    I don’t have adequate words to describe the glee that picture of JB brought to me.

2. Penne on January 18th, 2009 3:34 pm

I always wonder if the creator of Frazz thinks he’s writing about Calvin-all-grown-up because of the hair and existentialism and all? Sunday comics used to be the reason to get up on Sundays…now I mostly feel sorry for them. btw, my firstborn is named Calvin, after THAT Calvin.

3. nonsoccermom on January 18th, 2009 3:46 pm

I’m glad we aren’t the only ones lacking in the babysitter department…I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve left either (or both) of my kids with a sitter, and my oldest was born in 2002…glad yours worked out!!

4. Lesley on January 18th, 2009 3:56 pm

One of the ghastliest comic strips has to be Chris Muir’s Day by Day. http://www.daybydaycartoon.com/

Muir writes the captions (that never seem to make sense) and somebody else (a ten year old male?) creates the drawings. The females are always scantily clad and their spines are painfully contorted. The guy’s a nutbag.

5. SraV on January 18th, 2009 4:09 pm

So it ain’t just me. Whew!

6. Victoria on January 18th, 2009 4:25 pm

Ohhhhh JB.

7. Harper on January 18th, 2009 4:28 pm

Oh you poor woman… how it must be agony to make love to such a giant monster…

8. Naomi in Oz on January 18th, 2009 4:50 pm

Men are always bragging….

9. Heather-in-Australia on January 18th, 2009 4:53 pm

So, apparently he can jump so high because all this time he’s been hiding a giant pogo stick in his pants ;).

10. biscuit on January 18th, 2009 4:55 pm

OMFG!!!

that picture of JB is one of the finest portraits you’ve ever taken of him!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! my 1st laugh of the day.

thanksssssssssss!

11. Heather-in-Australia on January 18th, 2009 4:57 pm

PS: I can’t help it, my brain just keeps insisting that the “Slanket” is some kind of unholy union between a slut and a skank.

(Not that there’s anything wrong with either. I’m just sayin’ :)).

12. Becca on January 18th, 2009 5:01 pm

De-lurking long enough to compliment JB on the public display of his *ahem* assets.

No really, I wanted to say that it looks like JB is benefiting from your healthy lifestyle changes and I am pleased also to see that the jeans with the knee patches no longer reign supreme!

13. Melissa on January 18th, 2009 5:07 pm

It is a given that I will have something to say about the comics every Sunday. I wish that I could just not read the ones that make me crazy, but I take some sort of sick pleasure in it.

14. chellebird on January 18th, 2009 5:23 pm

Oh, Linda, you must check out The Comics Curmudgeon, if you haven’t already. Genius, and revels in the hating too:

15. monkeyinasuit on January 18th, 2009 5:29 pm

I was just rushing to your comments to recommend the Comics Curmudgeon. You HAVE to read the Better or For Worse series. Also, I am obsessed with how bad that strip got.

16. Josh on January 18th, 2009 5:39 pm

Dude, I totally love a few of those Sunday morning comics, but mostly they all really piss me off. Let me go ahead and say, that one about the super goodly god fearing family with those freaky kids with oval shaped heads who always say “not me” like it’s fucking hilarious, that comic needs to be cut out of every newspaper ever printed, crumpled into one gigantic paper cut riddled ball, and shoved up the authors ass, then lit on fire. Then his hands need to be hammered into broken flesh udders, and then cut off. I hate that one. But since you love comics, I heavily recommend both Cyanide and Happiness, and Dr. McNinja. (both online) They will change your life. Especially if you like jokes about AIDS and ninjas.

On a side note, how did JB leave his dick sitting out on the sidewalk long enough to stain it from exposure to the elements without being arrested. This is a hobby I have been looking into but have found only limited success in. So far thirty two trips to the police station, and only seven successful aboriginal style outlines using clay pigments and chalk.

17. Emily on January 18th, 2009 5:42 pm

Laughing out LOUD at that pic of JB. Oh my lordy. Now that is comic gold! And Heather-in-Australia you are hilarious!! This post just made my Sunday like no comic ever EVER could have!!!!!!!

18. Hillary on January 18th, 2009 5:59 pm

That picture of JB is exactly the kind of silliness that I love your blog for.

19. Belle on January 18th, 2009 6:24 pm

Great entry today, Linda. I enjoyed it immensely! (oO, I guess that word came to mind because of the JB pic.)

20. Carolyn J. on January 18th, 2009 7:07 pm

Now I remember why I’m reading the giant lap-busting tomes of the Complete Calvin & Hobbes.

21. Stacy on January 18th, 2009 7:11 pm

That photo is so fantasically hysterical, it’s beyond words.

22. Pocklock on January 18th, 2009 7:41 pm

HAHAHAHA! Sidewalk Dong is AWESOME!

23. bouncy czech on January 18th, 2009 8:07 pm

GIANT SIDEWALK DOG!

You win! you win!

24. Jennifer on January 18th, 2009 9:12 pm

When we moved, we quit getting a delivered Sunday paper and I thought oh woe is me, I will miss the Sunday comics. But you know, I don’t miss them at all and when I happen to pick up a Sunday paper at a coffeeshop, I read the comics and am a little amazed at how terrible they are. There has just never been anything to compete with Calvin and Hobbes (and I have all the C&H books!!! Love to re-read them).

I follow these online comics, you might like them if you haven’t seen them yet:
    (actually the second one is 100% written by and for bike geeks, so maybe you should pass on it!)

25. jenB on January 18th, 2009 9:18 pm

What I wouldn’t give for a giant sized dong???

on the sidewalk. i mean.

26. mixette on January 18th, 2009 9:20 pm

Yay for the little Canon and its ability to catch a photo of the wild SWD! It does exist!

I was thinking about your babysitter conundrum over the weekend and I thought ” it’s kind of like they have a prepaid babysitting debit card .” Cool.

27. michelle on January 18th, 2009 9:23 pm

Hey Linda,
    Been reading your blog and noted how much you and JB like to hit the movie
    theatre. My husband and I never get out with three little ones and recently
    stumbled on GRABOID.com
    It is basically a website that links you to current movies that are in
    theatres. I just got done watching Revolutionary Road and The Wrestler this weekend. The site is a little klunky but has
    served us well and saved us a ton of money. We end up hooking up a cable from the laptop to the tv to make it look better.
    There is a minimal monthly fee and we only had 2 downloads that didn’t work plus they have Tv as well.
    Cool site!

28. Kristi on January 18th, 2009 10:00 pm

Wait, did he draw Giant Dong or just come (ha) upon it on some random, suburban sidewalk? I’m so confused, but impressed, very very impressed.

29. Samantha on January 18th, 2009 10:14 pm

Good for you and JB on the date night. I’m envious of you, as I’m also envious of your husband. Har har har, great picture. And I have to ask, where was Riley when this pic was taken, he had to have asked what JB was doing and I’m dying to know what you told him.

30. sundry on January 18th, 2009 10:19 pm

Kristi: it was just there, totally random giant sidewalk dong! Like Found Art.

Samantha: Riley was oblivious, I think he was busy looking for pinecones nearby. If he’d have asked, though, I’m sure we would have told him something wholesome and not inappropriate at all. *cough*

31. sweetcheese on January 18th, 2009 10:37 pm

That is my husband! (Not literally of course, but posing with the sidewalk dong is exactly what he would have done.)
    And Family Circus is my personal hell. I can NOT stand it.

32. Meghan on January 18th, 2009 11:56 pm

What a dick…

33. Donna on January 19th, 2009 2:08 am

So THAT’S how he was able to write my whole moniker in the snow! Heh heh!
    I love Prince Valiant. It’s still in the paper here.
    I also love Cyanide and Happiness, and Red Meat, also available online.

34. Niki P on January 19th, 2009 4:59 am

I am glad the sitter worked out.

Also.. JB?? Oh (long pause) my…..

35. thejunebug on January 19th, 2009 5:47 am

I actually like the Luann comic. I know, it’s a terrible thing but now I’ve confessed, I feel much better for my sins.

JB and the sidewalk dong is excellent! And, by the way, I have to say he’s looking quite buff! I may have to get my husband to do 30 day shred with me. :)

36. ShannonJ on January 19th, 2009 6:45 am

Funny picture! That, combined with the rest of the post, got me wondering about how much JB’s friends and co-workers must LOVE to read this blog too! :)

37. Eric's Mommy on January 19th, 2009 7:06 am

Giant Sidewalk Dong……priceless

38. Maria on January 19th, 2009 7:35 am

Ha. I love that picture. Totally looks like something my husband I would do.

39. Christina on January 19th, 2009 7:37 am

Holy crap that photo is hysterically awesome…

Also, please check out my blog. Yucky thing happened to me today. Just trying to get the word. SO GROSS!

40. Amity on January 19th, 2009 8:13 am

God, your man’s gettin just as skinny as you! Good for you guys! :) I wish I could catch that bug…

41. Marin on January 19th, 2009 8:22 am

If it were (life-sized, that is), then how would JB walk? Logic is clearly not the strong point for men. I too have evidence.

42. Laura on January 19th, 2009 8:28 am

Aww, Amity beat me to it – I was going to comment that it looks like the 30 day shred is working out for both of you, and that I wish my finace would work out with me (I think it would help my motivation). That pic is hilarious!

43. Her Ladyship on January 19th, 2009 9:35 am

I have to second that you must read the comics curmudgeon. He is hilarious, and can rip apart the ridiculousness of many a comic strip (I started for the FBOFW mocking, I stayed for the Apartment 3G).

44. Kristin on January 19th, 2009 11:12 am

Dude, I never comment, but I just have to say “I love you”, not in a weird stalker way, but in a “Thank you for bringing a smile and/or making me think everyday” kind of way. Rock on!

45. Melissa on January 19th, 2009 5:40 pm

That picture is a scream! No wonder you guys own a sex pillow.

46. M on January 19th, 2009 7:43 pm

I will forego any mention of the hilarity of Giant Sidewalk Dong to say that I am SO jealous that you were able to get Uggs from Zappos. Every color/size combination that I wanted was out of stock indefinitely. So I had to order mine from an international site and I am waiting for USPS to ship them from CHINA. It will be WEEKS before I see them…if I’m lucky.

47. Sharla on January 19th, 2009 9:33 pm

Ahahaha! That picture is so funny! I’m very thankful for your little Canon too! SO funny =)

48. Do I Really Want to Get into This… Again? - Alone and Unobserved on January 20th, 2009 1:53 am

[…] Yesterday David Pogue apparently found my post and read it, an eventuality I had somehow not envisioned. (I have no illusions about my blog being high profile—but I should have remembered The Golden Rule of Blogging.) And naturally, given the subject matter, he Twittered it and asked his thousands of followers what they thought. […]

49. Kizz on January 20th, 2009 12:41 pm

Wasn’t the Wrestler just gruesomely awesome? I was surprised by how impressive Tomei was, too. Hard to watch but really good!

50. Amy on January 21st, 2009 2:16 pm

Okay, was off for a wonderful weekend in the wine country of Paso Robles without any electronic anythings so I missed the dilema with the babysitter, but don’t feel bad. My oldest was born in 2002 and we’ve NEVER had a babysitter. (other than the grandma’s or uncle). So woo hoo for you….send her on down to Sacramento when she’s free!

And JB…..damn! No wonder Linda needed a sex pillow!