Another trip south to the cabin on the river, another whackload of pictures I’m foisting on you.

3631646294_85fc936060

3631650600_89fe4e2553

3630841227_b8769b76dc

3630840133_3087ce511e

3630839343_ff901f5ab8

3630838581_e32834c68d

3630830943_a3f82bc2dd

3630830631_6b9a23afa5

This has long been one of JB’s favorite places on earth, and it means a lot to him that he can bring our boys there now. Do you have a place like that, that’s becoming as special to your own children as it was to you when you were younger?

Comments

63 Responses to “Life on the Umpqua”

1. Eileen on June 16th, 2009 3:09 pm

I have been reading your blog for quite some time now and am going to post a reply for the first time, woohoo! I would love to have a place like that, to take our children and grandchildren too. My husband is going to drool when I show him your pics.
    I have my own little piece of history that I still enjoy. I went to a 4-H summer camp in Napa County California from the time I was 8 years old. It is the same camp that my mother and her brothers and sisters went to back in the day. This year will mark my 43rd straight year of going to Marin County 4-H camp. Yes, I just outed myself with the age thing! This is such a special place and means so much to me, I have been lucky enough to attend at least a partial week every year. I have gone preggos with twins, and then taken toddlers with me. I now have one of my daughters who still goes with me along with my sister and now my grandkids! I am pretty sure that when I die, I am going to ask that my ashes be spread at Las Posadas 4-H Camp in Angwin California!!! Nothing like dirt, and trees, and bees, and crafts, and mosquitoes, and rise and shine, and KP, and campfire skits, and singing songs, and taking hikes, and talent show and movie night and oh, I could go on and on. Getting excited as I again get to go in July 12th!

Oh, BTW, Love your blog and your family is just adorable!!

2. Heather on June 16th, 2009 3:17 pm

Ocean City, MD. I swear all of Ohio relocates there for at least one week out of the summer. I always see someone I know…which is weird, yet totally normal feeling. We went almost every summer as a kid with my family and now we take our kids and I love it. I am becoming a convert to Lakeside, OH as well…because of my kids. I hated it the year we went with my inlaws before we had our daughter, but now I actually look forward to it because she loves it so much.

3. Lesley on June 16th, 2009 6:34 pm

Molly on June 15th, 2009 11:12 pm wrote “Priest Lake, Idaho!”

I just Googled that place and want to go there NOW!

4. Audubon Ron on June 16th, 2009 9:13 pm

Gorgeous. Love the old man little boy pic.

5. Courtney on June 16th, 2009 9:14 pm

Wait! I want to ditto Priest Lake, although we stopped going there when I was about 12. Its AWESOME and I can’t wait to take my boyfriend up there on a backpacking trip in July!

I also think I might name a dog Nordman (name of a town in the area).

Yes! Priest!

6. H on June 17th, 2009 8:22 am

No, but I think we are creating those memories for our children’s children.

Dylan looks so grown up!

7. kristi on June 17th, 2009 8:38 am

BREATHTAKING.

8. Lisa on June 17th, 2009 11:58 am

Was I the ONLY ONE to read, “Fisting on you” instead of “foisting”?

Gah.

Holy crap that is one fantastic place.

9. Jess on June 17th, 2009 12:33 pm

Wow…just wow….that looks like one gorgeous spot.
    We travel to Colorado as our special place with our kids…we’ve always loved the mountains, and so being in the midwest Colorado is where it’s at for us…
    As a side, maybe someone else mentioned this already, but the first picture could be one of those cell phone commercials where it shows the boys in descending height…you know the ones where they show the buildings at the different heights and various things to match the cell phone reception bars? Do I watch too much tv?
    ANYWAY
    Maybe you’ve said before, but what type of camera do you use? Have you had a lot of training in photography?

10. thatgirlblogs on June 18th, 2009 12:00 am

absolutely GORGEOUS photos. For real.

11. Christina on June 18th, 2009 8:25 pm

My parents have had a place in Indian River, MI since I was a baby. We’ve spent summers there my whole life, and continue to spend time up there now with them and our son, who is 2. In fact, he’s up there with my parents right now and gets as excited (if not moreso) than my parents to go “up north” as we say here in Michigan. LOVE IT. If my parents ever sold it, I would be heartbroken.

12. Kellie` on June 19th, 2009 8:49 am

Beautiful pictures! I would love to have a place on that river – how gorgeous!

My favorite go-to place for the past 15+ years is Orange Beach, Alabama. It’s not overbuilt, the buildings are not crammed side by side, and there is just enough restaurants and shopping to go to if it is raining or if you are not eating at your condo/house. Beautiful white sand.

13. Chris on June 20th, 2009 2:43 pm

Umm, I’m not gay, but you have a smoking body, I’m jealous. And the place looks great!!!