I was watching the weather report all last week and it read something like “Gorgeous sunny fall weather every singe goddamned day except Saturday, when it’s expected to be cooler and maybe rain a little in the morning, but if you’re doing a triathlon for the first time you shouldn’t be worried or anything because we’re just saying chance of some showers, not like a torrential downpour of epic holy-shit proportions or anything, ha ha ha ha.”

Ha ha HA. So anyway, it rained on Saturday, like a whole fucking lot. It was pitch black and water was drumming on the roof when my alarm went off, and I know some of you are thinking, well, you DO live in Seattle, but I’m telling you it was like some kind of cosmic joke, the sudden appearance of miserable February weather in the middle of an otherwise perfectly lovely September.

I had put a lot of thought into my transition area but had failed to consider the possibility of everything being wet, so I kind of improvised with draping towels here and there and tucking my shoes under some clothes, but really, I shouldn’t have bothered. Everything got completely drenched, and it didn’t matter anyway because, you know, it rained on me the whole time.

3939563423_d29bfd23f7

I was in the fourth wave for the swim and while we stood around waiting I was insanely grateful for the wetsuit, because while it wasn’t completely freezing out or anything, it sure wasn’t comfortable. We all watched the Elite swimmers—the nutbags who were doing the entire race twice—complete their swim in about five minutes, which was humbling and also sort of made me want to stick out my foot and trip them as they galloped by.

3939563253_35af28e64c

Then it was my turn, and all us yellow-caps splashed into the water at once. It was . . . oh, let me get back to the swim part.

So! When I finally heaved myself back out of the water (spoiler alert: I didn’t drown) I knew I should be running at top speed to my bike, but uhh, there was definitely some walking at first. Also, some gasping and wheezing. Eventually I managed to force myself into a kind of half-trot and got to my sodden transition area, where I started peeling my wetsuit off, forgot the timer chip strapped around my ankle until JB—who was standing nearby—reminded me, got out of the damn suit and put on my helmet, shoved on my shoes, then almost forgot the timer chip again. Smooth move, Ex-Lax.

3939563013_835a10efd1

I ran my bike to the mount-up area, jumped on, and thus began the easiest part of the race by far. I’ve never ridden my bike in the rain before so I was tentative at first, especially on turns and going through puddles of standing water, but overall it really just felt exhilarating and completely hilariously insane. Like, seriously, who rides their bike in a damn monsoon while wearing nothing much more than a swimsuit? Apparently I do! WHEEEE!

3940341854_daf6ac5d8f

The bike course was a 4.5 mile loop that we had to do twice, and I’m sure I was much faster the second time around after getting my bearings and not being so worried about hydroplaning or whatever. There was one hill that briefly wiped the smile off my face both times around, but I still felt pretty good—lots of people had to get off and walk, while I motored along with . . . well, not ease, but it was definitely doable. And thankfully, short.

3940341740_8f386e9ff4

When I got back to my transition area (they call this T2, if you want to be all, you know, slangy and shit) I was like a drowned rat—my shoes, socks, clothes, everything was soaked and I had dirt and crap all over me. JB was there saying encouraging things and I blurted “I CAN’T FEEL MY FEET” because no kidding, I couldn’t. My feet were almost totally numb, and I don’t know if it was the cold or the wet or my laces or what, but when I started running I felt like I was hobbling on two dead stumps or something.

3940341672_26ae26df51

My feet seriously felt like that for the first three-quarters of the run, which really sucked, but there wasn’t much I could do about it. The run was really short, only 1.5 miles, and when I was heading back in my feet finally woke up and my knees warmed up and my ankles stopped feeling like they were made of cement and I could take longer strides and it was just starting to feel like something I could actually DO when I realized it was almost over. I passed a volunteer who jumped up and down and shouted “EYE OF THE TIGER, BABY!” and I could feel this enormous grin stretching my face in half and I passed another runner and I could hear someone behind me and I passed John Curley who shouted, “You’ve only got 50 more yards to go! If you’ve got anything left in you, use it up!” (side note: he was enormously motivating and awesome during the whole event, and I take back every single time I have called him an annoying-ass doucheburger) and I sped up and I could hear the person behind me running faster and as we approached the finish line we were both sprinting to beat each other and she beat me by a stride.

3940341496_de7528ab5c

But I was the one with the massive blissed-out smile, so there.

My finish time was 1:05, and I was 94 out of 245 racers. In my age group, I was 10 out of 27. The numbers didn’t really matter to me, but I can’t lie, I feel good that I was in the top half.

I feel best about how I did during the bike segment. In retrospect, I wish I would have ridden the loop once just to be familiar with it, and of course I wish it hadn’t been raining, but I never felt tired or out of energy. The run could have gone better if my feet hadn’t felt so weird, but at least I didn’t slow down and walk. I’m glad I was able to pick it up at the end.

Sooooo, the swim. Yeah. The swim, frankly, sucked. As soon as I was in the water, I kind of freaked out, and I basically stayed freaked out the whole time. I couldn’t get away from people and find my own space, and some people flipped over right away and started doing backstroke so they were extra kicky and oblivious. I just could not keep my face in the water, no matter how hard I tried, and I don’t know if it was the stress or the exertion or the fact that it was so rainy and dark and creepy and the water felt like BLEAK MURKY DOOM (I couldn’t see a damn thing, and I know I’ve made a big fat deal about how I hate seeing seaweed and lake-slime and stuff but it’s so much worse not to see anything, oh my god), but all my training went flying out the window and I basically did a janky wannabe freestyle stroke with my head up the whole time. It wasn’t quite a dog paddle, but it certainly wasn’t efficient, and it was exhausting. I was breathing in short panicky gasps and twice I had to flip onto my back just to regroup.

3939563127_89139d65ec

At least I wasn’t alone, other people were obviously flailing during the swim too. And I actually did okay overall despite how I felt—I ranked 14 out of 27 in my age group for the swim, and finished in 11:21. It wasn’t like I had to be rescued or anything, but I was disappointed that I didn’t perform better. Not that I didn’t go faster, but that I couldn’t do it with a proper stroke. I hated that I got so scared and had to take those rest breaks, because I can absolutely swim that far without any problems in a damn pool. I know it was all mental, and that pisses me off.

Well, I wanted to fess up to the partial swim-fail, but overall I feel positive about how I did. Physically I felt pretty strong the whole time, and I crossed the finish line giving it everything I had.

You guys. I did a fucking triathlon, you guys. It was both harder than I thought it was going to be (the swim, the rain), and much easier. It was fun, of all things. I didn’t expect that. I expected to feel good when I was done, and I did. But I didn’t know I’d be smiling almost the whole way through.

I can’t even say how grateful I am for all the support you’ve shown me on this thing, through comments and emails and Twitter. It made such a difference, in so many ways.

3940341374_61e418c023

And you know what? I’m committing to the Danskin, a sprint triathlon in Seattle next summer. 12 mile ride, 5K run, and . . . a half mile swim. I’ve got almost a year to get ready, and by god, I’m going to get over this water thing and I am going to be faster and stronger and I am going to kick ASS.

Comments

217 Responses to “Tri tri again”

1. Victoria on September 20th, 2009 10:37 pm

I’m so so proud of you and I feel like I was right there cheering you along. So inspiring. Well done! Congratulations on being so awesome! WOOOO HOOO!

2. michelle on September 20th, 2009 10:46 pm

I got all teary and goosebumpy reading this. Love the smile. So impressed with you. Thanks for continuing to be such an inspiration.

3. lisa on September 20th, 2009 10:52 pm

Hooray for you! It’s been so fun and inspiring to read about your journey to this day. You should definitely be proud of yourself.

On another note, I LOVE that photo of you on your bike!

4. Lily on September 20th, 2009 11:03 pm

You are the first runner I ever saw with such a wide grin on her face. Congratulations! And YAY, you did a triathlon!

5. Jane on September 20th, 2009 11:06 pm

YAAAAAY YOOOOOOU! Very proud and inspired. I have just joined a gym… maybe one day I’ll do a triathlon too. For now, I’ll just focus on getting to the gym three times a week, cos my lord, that’s hard enough for now.

Hey, look how far you have come.

6. Jane on September 20th, 2009 11:08 pm

Oh, and PS – I met up with Chiara recently in Wellington after discovering her blog a few years ago through you blog. If that makes sense. Essentially, you match-made a new friendship without realising it. Thanks for that, she rules.

7. Kate on September 20th, 2009 11:19 pm

{STANDING OVATION!!!!} You did it! You awesome, brave, tough, INCREDIBLE woman, you! So, SOOOO proud of you.

I saw the pictures on Flickr and thought “Man, it looks like she’s enjoying herself! How is that possible??” You are gonna get me SO in trouble with my husband, being all inspiring and shit. Now I wanna do one!

8. mnerva on September 20th, 2009 11:23 pm

Way to go, Linda!!! Congrats on finishing, and finishing well. You have come so far, and it sounds like you are on the path to only succeeding further. Very impressive. And I love the smiles in the pics, shows how much you enjoyed it.

9. Penny on September 20th, 2009 11:25 pm

You are so inspiring. I wish I could do that. But I would drown first, then fallen off the bike breaking my neck and for the grand finale I am sure I would fall a lot like humpty dumpty while trying to run but only succeeding in looking like I was being attacked by killer bee’s! So I have such high respect for you, dead feet, crazy swim antic’s and all in monsoon conditions. You Rock!

10. Jamie :) on September 20th, 2009 11:27 pm

I’ve been waiting all weekend to hear this story! You are freakin’ incredible!! Congrats on being such a badass!!

11. Kim on September 20th, 2009 11:38 pm

Strong work! I’m inspired- maybe I’ll see you next summer at the Danskin. Sounds like a good way for me to work off baby weight following my November due date. Let’s hope it doesn’t happen during another record breaking Seattle heat wave!

12. Scott Dierdorf on September 20th, 2009 11:42 pm

I gotta say, the smile is intimidating. It one level of badass to do a triathlon in the first place, but it’s another to *visibly enjoy it* while it’s happening – with the breathing and the exertion and the pain and everything. Well done! And now I am terrified of you!

=-)

13. Jo on September 21st, 2009 12:28 am

Yay! You are a super star and such an inspiration :) Congratulations!!

14. Chiara on September 21st, 2009 12:42 am

YAY! I am so excited for and proud of you! You look amazing and awesome. I miss you!

15. KT on September 21st, 2009 12:46 am

That’s awesome!! I love the big grin on your face. Congratulations!

Also, that fifth photo (the panning shot) is brilliant.

16. Donna on September 21st, 2009 12:46 am

Yeah, no shit what Scott said, not only did you do it, but you had a damn smile on your face the whole time, WTF is that about anyway?
    I am so proud of you, you totally rock, and damn you look cool in all the pictures, ripped and tough! You are a bad bitch these days!

17. kristin c on September 21st, 2009 1:12 am

HELLS YEAH!!!! I’ve been waiting for this post…..you are so awesome with your excited blissed out grin. Dude. You are an athelete. Congratulations. I just KNEW you were gonna LOVE it and decide to do another. You’re a badass and total inspiration.

18. Danielle on September 21st, 2009 1:23 am

Hooray for you!! What a great accomplishment, congratulations!

19. Chaya on September 21st, 2009 1:28 am

Congratulations! I also teared up reading this, man. Thanks in large part to your inspiration, today I did the 30 day shred for the first time since having a baby 2 months ago. You set an awesome, positive example, and I’m determined to make exercise a daily part of our lives again. Rock on, Linda.

And I think I might see you at the Danskin next year!

20. squandra on September 21st, 2009 1:52 am

YEAH! Atta girl!

21. JMH on September 21st, 2009 2:31 am

You are amazing. The end. :)

22. NancyJ on September 21st, 2009 3:02 am

Congratulations!
    You are an inspiration to all of us to face our fears and keep going.

23. Shannon on September 21st, 2009 3:54 am

You so totally rock! I’ve been waiting for this post and I love your HUGE grin in all the pics. Awesome.

24. Frank on September 21st, 2009 4:09 am

Congratulations! Way to go. Great accomplishment.

25. Bethany on September 21st, 2009 4:18 am

Congratulations, Linda! You ROCK, and are incredibly inspiring.

26. Sara on September 21st, 2009 4:30 am

Whoooo! You got the bug, girl! :)

Sounds like you had an awesome race. And you now have a totally epic “my first triathlon” story.

27. Amanda on September 21st, 2009 4:36 am

I am in awe of you. I consider you a Mommy Hero. There’s no reason we all can’t get out there and take that first step.

28. Marisa on September 21st, 2009 4:51 am

You kick ass! Congratulations on your first triathlon.

29. Diane on September 21st, 2009 4:51 am

Wow, so awesome. You are a rockin athlete and such an inspiration. I have a huge grin for you.

30. Beth on September 21st, 2009 4:56 am

You rock, congrats.

31. Sarah Miller on September 21st, 2009 4:58 am

Dude, you already kick ass.

32. Christine on September 21st, 2009 5:01 am

Holy cow, you did a TRIATHALON. You’re ahhhhhhhmazing!

33. Jenny on September 21st, 2009 5:13 am

Linda, you’re so awesome! WOO HOOOOOO! Go Team Beluga!

34. Ter on September 21st, 2009 5:15 am

Wooo hooo!!! Huzzah! Yay! Congrats! Almost makes me entertain trying something like that myself, though I doubt a year would be enough time for me to get over myself enough to begin training :) I did do a walk/run a couple three years ago and came in 3rd in the walker division overall. Mayhaps I’ll try again? And I have to agree — that pic of you on the bike? Badass!

35. jonniker on September 21st, 2009 5:19 am

Oooh, congratulations! I’m so excited and happy for you. This is awesome. Awesome!

Also, I’ll confess that I LOVE that you waved to JB in your little swimsuit and cap before the swimming portion with a big old grin on your face. It’s one of the cutest pictures I’ve ever seen (I know, I’m supposed to think it’s BRAWNY and STRONG. I’m SORRY.) You are so CUTE there in your wet suit and I kind of just want to hug you there.

36. Jen - Mom of 4 on September 21st, 2009 5:20 am

I love the fact you had that kick ass smile on your face the entire time! You have motivated me to do a sprint tri. I’ve wanted to do one – in like forever – but I am going to sign up TODAY and do it. Thanks for taking us along!

37. Eric's Mommy on September 21st, 2009 5:29 am

I cannot get over how awesome it is that you did this.

Way to go Linda!!

38. Teralyne on September 21st, 2009 5:34 am

I am so proud of you way to go Linda!!!!!

39. PattM on September 21st, 2009 5:38 am

Way to go Linda! I totally get your excitement about finishing–I finished a half marathon in April. It’s a high that lasts. then you start thinking about doing it again or stepping up to the next level……Well done, girl. Looking forward to your inspiration for the next race; I’m looking for a tri here in my area. If you can do it, so can I!

40. Joy on September 21st, 2009 5:40 am

Way to go!!!!

41. Mandi on September 21st, 2009 5:48 am

I’m seriously SO proud of you!! You rock.

42. beach on September 21st, 2009 5:49 am

Your smiley face makes me smile….awesome job Linda!!!

43. Sandi on September 21st, 2009 5:52 am

Dude! ROCK ON! You are inspiring! What a great accomplishment. I hope to finally do one of these.

44. Kim on September 21st, 2009 5:54 am

Congratulations!! You should be very proud of yourself.

45. kristin on September 21st, 2009 5:57 am

YOU ARE AMAZING. PERIOD.

46. kristin on September 21st, 2009 5:58 am

No, EXCLAMATION POINT!

;)

47. Milla on September 21st, 2009 5:59 am

Awesome! So much fun, right?

48. Joanne on September 21st, 2009 6:00 am

What a smile on your face at the finish line. That’s when I started to tear up! Congratulations!

49. agb on September 21st, 2009 6:02 am

way to kick ass —- your triathlon training has been the only thing to inspire me to get off my lardbutt in ages. f-ing awesome.

50. Jen on September 21st, 2009 6:02 am

Congratulations! You did something I could only wish, dream, hope to do. You look AWESOME in the pictures!!

51. Amy on September 21st, 2009 6:04 am

Your description of the swim nearly exactly matched the description of the swim in my first (and only, so far) triathlon. I just could. not. put my face in the water. I did the same head out of the water part dog paddle part side stroke part back stroke. Total survival mode. I was nearly the last person out of the water and I did not care. At least I didn’t drown!

52. Barb on September 21st, 2009 6:05 am

YOU ROCK!!!!!!

53. Jenn on September 21st, 2009 6:18 am

I sound like your damn mom or something, but I’m SO proud of you! Truly inspiring. Congratulations and I’m pumped to hear how training goes for the next one!

54. Karen on September 21st, 2009 6:20 am

I LOVE the big huge smile at the end – it brings tears to my eyes! Congratulations! That is SO exciting that not only did you swim, you ran and you biked and you had fun and you want to do it again! You should be so proud of yourself, what a wonderful accomplishment.

55. cbrks12 on September 21st, 2009 6:26 am

So proud of you that you’ve brought tears to my eyes. Congrats!

56. Must Be Motherhood on September 21st, 2009 6:26 am

YOU RAWK! I love love LOVE the smile in very photo. You look like a kid on Christmas morning. Don’t sweat the swim. They are always tough for those of us who fear dead bodies and sharks in lakes.

Do you know your training convinced me to do the Chicagoland Danskin triathlon next weekend (eep!)? Well, you did. (I’ve done several before, but not since my 20s/pre-children). And I want to THANK YOU for the kick in the ass.

57. Jessi on September 21st, 2009 6:26 am

I’ve been waiting all weekend to hear the details! I’m so happy you enjoyed it. You’d never think something so physically demanding could be so fun. You SHOULD be proud of yourself – you did a triathlon!

58. Claire on September 21st, 2009 6:29 am

You go! I kept telling my husband about this thing all weekend because he’s training for one and I am glad you did so well. I’m 10 weeks pregnant but already, soon as I get this kid out and all, I am totally taking a page from your book in terms of getting back in shape. :)

59. Lawyerish on September 21st, 2009 6:30 am

YOU DID IT! Awesome job. I feel strangely proud.

60. MichelleRenee on September 21st, 2009 6:33 am

Congratulations!

I’m so excited for you. What an awesome accomplishment.

Your motivation has reached NH.

My whole family has moved off their asses and started the 30 Day Shred.

It started with you.

Thank you!

61. warcrygirl on September 21st, 2009 6:39 am

Holy fuck you are awesome. Any chance you’ll be doing any rain-training next time around? You know, just in case.

62. Amy M. on September 21st, 2009 6:40 am

I’m so impressed! You look amazing & really strong. Even happy! Just running a 5k I looked like death. Very inspiring!

Did your boys get to watch any of it? (Though child-wrangling is tough in a monsoon…)

63. patois on September 21st, 2009 6:40 am

Look at those so fabulous shit-eating grins! Congrats to you.

64. pam on September 21st, 2009 6:42 am

you are fucking awesome. congrats!

65. Becky on September 21st, 2009 6:42 am

Linda you kick so much ass! I also had a tear in my eye reading this…..I feel like a proud Mama!

66. kathleen on September 21st, 2009 6:44 am

yes yes yes yes yes! huge congrats. so glad you enjoyed yourself while doing something crazy scary– you are awesome.

67. Jen in Dallas on September 21st, 2009 6:45 am

OMG – you’re my fucking hero. I can barely get myself to the gym a few times each week to get my 30-45 minutes of cardio in! I’m running a 5K in November and have been thinking about ditching it lately. But fuck that – I’m running it, and I’m going to kick ass. Who knows, maybe I’ll get my lazy, out-of-shape ass out and do something as cool as a triathalon someday. I’d love to be able to show my girls (11 and 5) what a badass their mom really is under all this fluff! You’re a huge inspiration – both physically and from a mom perspective. My baby boy is 14 months and we’re starting to experience the hell that toddlerhood can be – and it’s worse this time around with a boy! Thanks for being awesome and making my day.

68. Andrea on September 21st, 2009 6:47 am

You = badass superhero. I’m seriously goosebumpy and teary reading this. I noticed your gigantic smile in all the pictures. You LOOK like you’re having a blast!

Seriously this is so inspiring and motivational and it makes me want to do better about my own health and fitness. Not kidding about the hero part.

69. Pam on September 21st, 2009 6:47 am

I am so proud of you, too — and I don’t even know you! I am envious of your will power and in awe of your strength!

70. Heather C on September 21st, 2009 6:49 am

YOU JUST DID A TRIATHALON OMG!

Seriously, you’re an inspiration. I remember reading your blog when you were a non-exerciser, doing your first workout tapes. And now this!

Seriously, I have no excuse not to do the Wii Fit this morning.

71. Liz on September 21st, 2009 6:53 am

The day after my first tri, I signed up for my next one. I totally agree with you– it’s FUN! I was totally caught off guard by just how enjoyable the whole damn race is.

The best way I’ve come to think about it is (and I probably stole this from someone else or an annoying bumper sticker or whatever): the race is the reward for all the annoying ass early mornings (but my bed is WARM and why am I cold OUTSIDE and RUNNING and this SUCKS) and late evenings (wait i was going to flop on the couch and stare at bad TV in a total numb zone of holy crap the day is finally OVER why am I at the gym this SUCKS) days. If you commit and get through all of those, then you get to do the race. And it is FUN!

You’re a rockstar. Well done, triathlete.

72. Erica on September 21st, 2009 6:57 am

YOU ARE AWESOME!!

73. Kate on September 21st, 2009 7:00 am

Congratulations!! You did awesome.

Reading about your training has been so inspiring. Looking forward to your next race.

74. Sarah on September 21st, 2009 7:00 am

Very proud of you, Linda! Very proud.

75. Suzanne on September 21st, 2009 7:03 am

CONGRATS!!! At the end of July I completed my first tri…Danskin sprint and so I know your feelings of complete, holy shit, I just did a freaking triathlon!!! It brought it all back. The complete joy, the huge smile on the face (even though you can’t figure out why the hell your legs lost their ability to work upon getting off of a bike…even in dry warm weather!), the nerves, the wonderment of how complete strangers cheering you on give you the extra kick you need. Be proud. Display that medal. You earned it. And best of all, your boys just saw from their mama that if you put your mind to it, you (they) can accomplish anything!

76. megan on September 21st, 2009 7:07 am

Linda you completely rock!! And are a total inspiration. As someone who has been struggling lately with getting to the gym or to go running (complete with whining), you’ve given me a kick in the butt that I’ve needed. :)

77. jen on September 21st, 2009 7:08 am

So this is like comment 76 or something but I just couldn’t not say SUNDRY YOU ROCK. Congratulations!

78. jetsy on September 21st, 2009 7:09 am

WOOOOO-HOOOOOO! You rock! And you look superbuff in the pics. Excellent job.

79. Laura Porras on September 21st, 2009 7:11 am

Brought tears to my eyes and goosebumps to my arms…thank you for such an inspirational story. The best part of the entire post was your enormous smile through the whole thing – thanks for putting one on my face this morning. I just started training for my first 5k and I will continue to come back to this post as needed :)

80. Stephanie on September 21st, 2009 7:14 am

I am so proud of you! You rock!

81. Shannon on September 21st, 2009 7:15 am

You rock. And I am so bloody inspired…you make me want to get my ass out there and just sign up for a triathlon (scared of swimming portion, yes)and train and just DO IT. You have no idea how much these posts motivate me. Congratulations!

82. Antropologa on September 21st, 2009 7:15 am

That is very impressive!

83. Grace on September 21st, 2009 7:32 am

Applause, applause, applause! What I like best about this? Is that in every shot where we see your face? You’ve got a huge grin!

Congrats on the finish & your plans for your next race.

84. Erin on September 21st, 2009 7:34 am

Dude, you rock! Hands down, 100% ROCK! Awesome job, you did it!!

85. sheilah on September 21st, 2009 7:35 am

Yep…I thought of you on Saturday. Did you hear me cheering? Wow! You rock, girl!

86. Melissa on September 21st, 2009 7:36 am

Damn girl, you rock! Great job and I love that you had a smile plastered on your face most of the time. You are inspirational and I bet JB and the boys are proud of you!

87. Rachel on September 21st, 2009 7:45 am

Wow. And also? YOU LOOK AMAZING.

88. Mama Bee on September 21st, 2009 7:46 am

Wasn’t Saturday’s monsoon totally randomness?! And then it totally cleared up and was beautiful! WTF, Seattle.

Um, I pretty much just had a panic attack reading your swim story. I started realizing that I was holding my breath and willing you to swim! I’m kind of crazy like that! My bad.

89. Pocklock on September 21st, 2009 7:47 am

You are AWESOME! What a fantastic accomplishment.

I’d like to you know…try, but there’s these donuts…

WAY TO GO!

90. Cookie on September 21st, 2009 7:57 am

Congratulations! What an awesome accomplishment.

91. Stacee on September 21st, 2009 7:59 am

You’ve done the impossible, Linda: Made me think John Curley might be anything less than totally annoying. What an accomplishment! :)

I already tweeted it on Saturday, but you’re awesome and inspiring and amazing. Yay, you!

92. Kathryn on September 21st, 2009 8:06 am

You rock. You make me feel like I, too, could be an athletic person if I put the work into it. No one else has ever made me feel like that, and so thank you for the inspiration. I don’t know if I’ll ever follow through, but it is incredibly empowering to know that I could if I only made up my mind and committed to it.

93. Heather D. on September 21st, 2009 8:15 am

Good Job Sundry!! My husband started doing sprint tris this summer, he has done 6 (crazy bastard!) and the swimming is the hardest for him too. He kicks butt, usually in the top 5 for his age division but when he swims he doesn’t know how to put his face in the water. It seems to work though.
    I guarantee that the photos from his first one don’t show blissful grins! You should really be proud of yourself!!

94. SJ on September 21st, 2009 8:18 am

I’m so proud of you! You totally rock and give me the inspiration that I need to get my ass in gear to do something like this. Because you know I want to, I’m just scared.

Good job, you are amazing! And you did a fucking triathlon! Woot-woot!

95. Jen G on September 21st, 2009 8:19 am

The first time you posted about the race – I was all – hmmmmm – I bet my trainer could help me with that. I even emailed my brother who is an excellent swimmer and asked about lake swimming and wetsuits and stuff. Then I chickened out. And after reading this – well – maybe next year. I bet I could do it. I used to swim on a team, in a pool, always in last place mind you. I would have to get a bike and start riding outside. Running would be the somewhat easy part. I’m not making a full commitment here – just sorta saying it out loud and really freaked out that I’m putting this on the internets. I must be fucking insane.

96. Redbecca on September 21st, 2009 8:23 am

RAAAAHR! Yeah baby, you seriously kick some ass! Way to go!! Shit, you’re so pumped you got me pumped up, too!
    I’m so happy for you, and love that you loved it in spite of all that rain. Congrats!

97. Amy on September 21st, 2009 8:24 am

WOW, Linda! What an amazing achievement! I love the huge grin on your face in several of those photos…especially the blurry speeding-by-on-your-bike-steed image. It looks like you are totally thrilled with your experience!

98. Georgia on September 21st, 2009 8:29 am

Way to kick some ass!!!

99. Melinda on September 21st, 2009 8:35 am

YAY!!! Way to go Linda!

100. Carrie on September 21st, 2009 8:35 am

Oh! My hero!

101. C @ Kid Things on September 21st, 2009 8:38 am

Holy hell you are inspiring. Congrats!

102. Jenna on September 21st, 2009 8:38 am

you DID IT girl!! I made the mistake of reading this at work, though, and broke out in tears in front of my co-workers. (And I don’t think my it’s-all-allergies claim took). :) Regardless, you’re my insipiration. Seriously. Thank you.

103. She Likes Purple on September 21st, 2009 8:38 am

So fucking inspiring. You already kick ass, but no doubt you’ll do it next year, too.

104. Kathryn on September 21st, 2009 8:39 am

I am so excited for you! I did my first tri on Saturday as well. I had a great time, and I agree that the swim SUCKED. It was in the Gulf of Mexico, and there was a red flag. I didn’t know there was a red flag until after the race. I guess that’s a good thing. Way to go — you look like you had such an awesome time!

105. Emily on September 21st, 2009 8:39 am

No kidding, Linda: you are an AMAZING inspiration. Congratulations!!!

106. Shanna on September 21st, 2009 8:43 am

I found you the other day from I can’t remember where…hmmm…but this tri looked AMAZING! I haven’t done of of those, but it looks like fun! Too bad I’m an awful swimmer! Does you husband take all the pictures? They’re great and you look so happy!!!
    Congratz on your time!

107. aimee on September 21st, 2009 8:50 am

Wow! You look so BAD ASS in all those pics–especially the one where you’re flying by on the bike. Way!! To!! Go!!

108. Sean on September 21st, 2009 8:52 am

Wow! Congratulations. That is so, so awesome. Athletic events—especially ones involving swimming, but really especially all of them—terrify me. Good luck on the Danskin next year!

109. Alex on September 21st, 2009 8:58 am

Of COURSE you’ll kick ass–you’re Sundry!

110. Jinxi on September 21st, 2009 9:14 am

SO FANTASTIC! What an accomplishment.

Thanks for sharing the story and photos. What a fun journey.

111. Gina on September 21st, 2009 9:17 am

You are a fucking ROCK STAR!!!

112. sarahbeanne on September 21st, 2009 9:32 am

Once again, you have inspired me to not do a wimpy ass walk after work. I guess I’m biking and running… and hopefully smiling as much as you are! That almost made me cry! So proud of you!

113. victoria on September 21st, 2009 9:37 am

This brought tears to my eyes. You look so happy, and strong! You totally rock.

114. Jen @ lifelove'n'wine on September 21st, 2009 9:38 am

I teared up reading this…I’m so proud of you! What a great motivation:) Congrats!

115. Erin from Iowa on September 21st, 2009 9:46 am

Dang it. You made me cry the happy cry. You go girl.

116. joaaanna on September 21st, 2009 9:56 am

Awesome, awesome, awesome! Congratulations! I just LOVE that in each picture you have that big ole grin on your face! Way to go!

117. Brenda on September 21st, 2009 9:58 am

You’re my hero! I would have stayed in bed when I heard the rain….and I live in Portland…and we didn’t have that much rain on Saturday. And I would have been a bag of blisters after all that running and biking… well, maybe not with the biking. That I can do without getting a blister… but I can not run.

But you totally ROCK!

118. Christy on September 21st, 2009 10:03 am

Wow! Very impressive! The swimming would get me too. And, maybe the biking in the downpour. It’s not supposed to rain like that in September in Seattle. It’s unofficially still part of our summer.

119. Katherine on September 21st, 2009 10:04 am

Holy Cow!! You did a triatholon. I’m in awe. I would bow down to you, you know, if the internet would allow that. I thought about running a marathon (or a half-marathon) until after one month of training I could barely run 5 miles. Then I realized that it probably wasn’t going to happen.

120. Crys on September 21st, 2009 10:08 am

YEAH FOR YOU!! Great job! You’re quite the inspiration, I’m so happy for you!

121. Colleen on September 21st, 2009 10:18 am

Congratulations! You are so inspiring, I am beyond impressed with your perseverance in pursuit of your goals. As for the swimming, I don’t know if I could do that in a million years, so bravo to you! Especially with the conditions.

122. Veronica on September 21st, 2009 10:22 am

Dude!!! You used to be my hero. But now, now you are GOD. Holy spinoly… the water. The rain. The riding a BIKE in the rain… what the?! Words cannot express how proud I am of you and your HUGE, MAJOR accomplishment. Now you’re a triathalon stud! how friggin’ awesome is THAT?!

123. Angella on September 21st, 2009 10:29 am

You DO kick ass. Way to go, Linda. Not to get all cheesy and shit, but you inspire me.

124. shygirl on September 21st, 2009 10:37 am

You totally rip. You are such an inspiration, and we are all so proud of you! Go Sundry!!

125. Erica77777 on September 21st, 2009 10:45 am

I totally teared up reading this!

You are my hero. And you look GORGEOUS, my dear–love the shit eating grin!

126. tara on September 21st, 2009 10:50 am

dang. you almost make me want to give it a try.

127. Rachael on September 21st, 2009 10:59 am

Take it from me, a Triathlon Widow. They are f’ing addicting.

128. HollyLynne on September 21st, 2009 11:10 am

Any swimming done in a lake in the rain in a large group as part of a FREAKING TRIATHLON is a win in my book. Congrats!

129. cat on September 21st, 2009 11:13 am

Woo Hoo! Kick Ass! Congratulations on a job well done!

I am doing my first triathlon this Sunday and I hope I have as much fun as you did! The chances of it raining are pretty slim (Phoenix) but it could reach some pretty hefty temps by the run. I just want to finish with a smile like you did!

130. jeremy on September 21st, 2009 11:14 am

Awesome job! I did my first TRI in August. I was in the same boat as you with the swimming, I took lessons and was still pretty nervous about it. But then my brother in-law gave me some great advice a few days before that chilled me out. “Just relax and have fun! You’ve done the training, you’ve put in the work, you’re body’s ready. Now just have fun with it!” I did and had a great time doing it. I panicked a little on the swim as well – getting hit by arms and legs and breathing hard, but I got through it and did really well with the bike and run. Bummer about all the rain for your tri, but hey you still got through it and it made you tougher. Nice job! You’re now a Triathlete!

131. caleal on September 21st, 2009 11:22 am

All right, so you’ve already got 130 comments on this, but dammit, you deserve hundreds more. WAY TO GO, LINDA!!!

132. Artemisia on September 21st, 2009 11:23 am

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

133. Kelly on September 21st, 2009 11:24 am

Congratulations, Linda! You’re such an inspiration!

134. Lindsay on September 21st, 2009 11:26 am

Sundry. You rock. The pictures of you smiling while performing are just fricking awesome, and you look about 18 in that last picture. Just full of vitality. Good for you on so many levels. Also, this post really highlghted how JB is so supportive of you. Yay him too!

135. Christine on September 21st, 2009 11:27 am

Woo hoo!! You are fab.

136. Paine on September 21st, 2009 11:45 am

Congratulations! Thank you so much for sharing this. The pictures made me smile. I’m so proud of you.

137. Joanne on September 21st, 2009 12:02 pm

Linda – so brilliant. And the swimming does get easier. And open water is way harder then pool swimming.
    You’ll kick ass!

138. Erin on September 21st, 2009 12:03 pm

Congrats! I also wanted to say that I’ve found this really encouraging. I’m running my first chipped 5km run this weekend (I ran another on New Years Eve, but it wasn’t chipped) and I’m nervous and wondering what the hell I’ve agreed to do. It’s good incentive to read other people setting and achieving their goals, so congrats again and thanks!

139. lisa-marie on September 21st, 2009 12:21 pm

Congratulations!

140. ZestyJenny on September 21st, 2009 12:26 pm

OMG. You are so fucking inspiring.

141. Laura on September 21st, 2009 12:36 pm

I read this and cried. I was so moved that I read it to my partner while I cried and took wipe-my-eyes-sob breaks. Such a beautiful experience that you shared with us.

Rock! :D

142. moojoose on September 21st, 2009 12:38 pm

It seems like everyone around me is doing the triathlon thing these days, and I’ve just been rolling my eyes and baking more cookies but something about reading these and seeing your journey just made me think, you know, maybe I can do that, too.

I have something like 40 lbs to go before I’ll feel able, but I’ve set the goal: Triathlon (even a tiny one) before I turn 30.

Thank you for showing all of us that we can do this.

143. Amy on September 21st, 2009 12:43 pm

YOU ARE FKN AWESOME! You did it AND you looked good doing it. Damn, I love you and hate you all at the same time. Woo hoo!!! Might get me off my fat 42-year old ass yet. You made it look fun!

144. Kristi on September 21st, 2009 1:23 pm

You are an amazing ROCK STAR! Plus, you look HOT! Great job!

145. Jamie on September 21st, 2009 1:25 pm

YOU ROCK! Is it weird that I got all misty while reading this post? Seriously, you are AWESOME!

146. becky on September 21st, 2009 1:27 pm

you are amazing and awesome and inspiring and (this feels strange to say to someone i have never met, but i’ve been reading your blog for years now) i am so proud of you. it has been so incredible to read about your journey to get here and i am so excited for everything that is opening up for you.
    i think i’ll get off my ass and do something new today!

147. sooboo on September 21st, 2009 1:35 pm

Top half!!! Impressive, you rock it like a rock star! Count me in as someone you totally don’t know, but, as a longtime reader, I feel proud of you too.

148. Courtney on September 21st, 2009 1:46 pm

Very, very cool thing to do Linda. Congratulations!

149. Trenches of Mommyhood on September 21st, 2009 1:46 pm

You rock! I’ll do triathlons vicariously through you while sitting on the couch eating potato chips, m’kay?

150. Amanda on September 21st, 2009 1:46 pm

Congratulations! I’ve been looking forward to this recap. You’re a rock star!

151. NLB on September 21st, 2009 1:51 pm

Congratulations! I am so impressed and inspired! You are awesome.

152. Lauren on September 21st, 2009 1:59 pm

YAY! Great job! You are now a triathlete, and you persevered through some very tough conditions to get there. I think you should get two medals for doing a race when the weather sucks. Your next race will be easier, mentally and physically.
    If I might make a suggestion, though: the Danskin might not be the best race for your second tri. It is a HUGE race. There are several thousands of women who do this race, and the sheer numbers can make things a little challenging (crowded swim, crowded bike course). The Seafair tri is a month earlier, the same course, and less than half the people. However, the Seafair race is a little more competitive, while the Danskin is all about the experience and finishing. Just something to think about.
    Anyhoo, CONGRATS!

153. d on September 21st, 2009 2:11 pm

way to fucking go!!! Awesome and inspiring. I love that youre smiling. this is such a great post. well done.

154. haitian american family of three on September 21st, 2009 2:11 pm

That so amazing! I got teary from the joy on your face as you ran and biked. Totally inspiring.

155. B on September 21st, 2009 2:20 pm

Kick ass. Strong, girl. Strong.

156. Philos on September 21st, 2009 2:25 pm

“I am going to kick ASS.”

You already do, Linda. You already do.

157. Amanda on September 21st, 2009 3:02 pm

SQUEE! Dude, you are such a fuckin’ inspiration. YOU ROCK!

158. Junni on September 21st, 2009 3:23 pm

You = The Shit.

159. Soleil on September 21st, 2009 3:38 pm

You are REALLY inspiring, Linda. Congratulations! Also, you look fantastic.

160. Corinne on September 21st, 2009 4:02 pm

I love the finish photo! You made me cry with your goofy-ass grin. I’m so proud of you.
    I wish I lived closer so I could internet-stalk you into some lessons, because I know we could work out these swim bugs. Two things come immediately to mind, which I now feel bad for not saying sooner, like it would have mattered, but still:
    1. Don’t feel like you have to do crawl. It’s the most tiring of all the strokes (well, except butterfly, but let’s not be ridiculous). And although it’s the fastest, at this level you’re not looking to shave seconds anyway. How about getting a good breaststroke going? Efficient, fairly fast, and heads-up so you won’t be so panicky.
    2. If you really feel like you have to do crawl, the number one mistake people make is in breathing. Be sure to actually EXHALE (blow some bubbles!) when your face is in the water. Everyone holds their breath, then does a big puff and suck when their face comes out. It’s so tiring and inefficient, to gasp like that. Try to make your breathing as close to normal as possible. Set your stroke by it. Learn to rotary breathe (both sides). If you get your breathing more relaxed, you will swim so much better (and not be so taxed when you get out of the water!)
    You did soooo awesome!!! I’m super inspired and although I’m not willing to make any public pronouncements, my new shoes come tomorrow.

161. babs on September 21st, 2009 4:13 pm

OMG. You described my *exact* experience of doing the swim part in my one and only Danskin. (way back in 2002) And yet, you still made me want to try it again. That feeling of accomplishment at the end is the best… and your smile is priceless!

162. Jen on September 21st, 2009 4:57 pm

Delurking to say that you totally kicked ass. I felt proud knocking off my first 10K this year, but I don’t believe that the expression on my face was quite so effing joyful. What an inspiration! Woot woot! Think I’ll go for a run.

163. Jo on September 21st, 2009 5:00 pm

Good for you! My husband runs sprint level tri’s and I read your post to him. He says.. “Awesome!”. He’s a man of few words… :-) AND- for no good reason– he has run 6 or 7 sprints now, and he can never keep his head in the water, everyone is just too spastic.

164. louise m on September 21st, 2009 5:15 pm

Now you know what to expect in the open water part, so the next time you can be better “mentally” prepared. Congratulations, you did an awesome job!!

165. babelbabe on September 21st, 2009 5:48 pm

YAY YAY YAY!! I am so happy for you! Congratulations!

166. jessica fantastica on September 21st, 2009 5:53 pm

Way to go!!!

167. Meggish on September 21st, 2009 5:57 pm

Hero! Seriously, you are five kinds of awesome. And for the record, I don’t swing that way, but you totally hot in that swimsuit-shorts-whatever combo. No worries.

168. Meggish on September 21st, 2009 5:58 pm

Ahem, you ARE totally hot. Oh verbs, you kill me.

169. Corinne on September 21st, 2009 6:22 pm

I’m feeling a little bad about my comment – I think I glossed over your awesomeness a little too quickly and dove into suggestions. Swimming is the only part I know anything about so I went straight to that, but I should have been more clear about how amazed and inspired I am by your tremendous accomplishment. Three cheers for Linda!

170. Lesley on September 21st, 2009 6:36 pm

God, I am sooooooooo impressed. Especially your time. YOU DID THE WHOLE THING IN AN HOUR! Ack. That is beyond AWESOME. I think it would take me a half hour just to do the run, and to get through that run on numb feet is beyond admirable.

It couldn’t have been easy in the rain either because that just adds stress right off the bat, but you didn’t let that hold you back at all.

Now, you must go out and buy a kick ass backless evening dress because your back in that one shot is AMAZING. Whatever they are making you do at that gym of torture is working every muscle, obviously.

I have no doubt you will soon be doing Death Valley 85 kilometer marathons or something.

I have a question. What shoes do you have? Did they provide the support you needed?

171. Michelle on September 21st, 2009 6:46 pm

You rock! I get all teary and emotional over people accomplishing physical feats…. way to go Linda!

172. Stacey on September 21st, 2009 6:52 pm

Girl, you already kick some major ass. I would’ve died before I even hit the water.
    You are a total rockstar!!!

173. Shannon C. on September 21st, 2009 7:08 pm

Yaaay, congrats! I noticed it was very dark and rainy on Saturday and almost wimped out on doing my 25-mile bike ride (Kenmore to Marymoor Park on the Sammamish River Trail) because I didn’t want to get rained on, wah! But then I remembered that you were doing your triathlon and you had NO CHOICE but to ride/swim/run in that crap weather. So, I went. I got rained on. And I smiled the whole time! You inspired me, Linda, and for that I thank you.

174. Debbie on September 21st, 2009 7:23 pm

If any post is worth coming out of lurkdom and commenting on, it’s this one. You are awesome, an absolute inspiration, and you look so amazing in those photos. It’s like all the strength and determination just shine through your face. You rock.

175. Meagan on September 21st, 2009 7:25 pm

CONGRATS! The feeling of finishing your first tri is amazing. And I’m glad you decided to sign up for the next one! For what it’s worth, I totally freaked out during my first triathlon swim as well (like holding onto the kayaks and everything). The next one was better, the one after that a little better. After about three races, it was totally NOT a big deal. You will get this.
    Also, you look awesome!

176. Lana on September 21st, 2009 7:26 pm

There’s something in my eye. Really.

You are amazing! And one of my inspirations.

177. Kari C. on September 21st, 2009 7:32 pm

Ok, I SO want to try a little triathalon like you just did. I am no where even close to being in shape, but you are SO inspiring and you made it look like FUN work! ;) And let me tell you, I HATE running, so much that I don’t do it ‘cuz the “girls” are too big and it’s uncomfortable, but damn it all, I am gonna start trying! Thanks!!! :]

178. Kendra on September 21st, 2009 7:33 pm

Congrats! And you know what? You look like a total hard-ass in all of your pictures. You do!

179. Jen on September 21st, 2009 8:00 pm

You are awesome! I love your beaming smile in all the photos. Congratulations on FINISHING, and doing so well on your attempt.

(In other news, I was the poster a few weeks back who was all fired up to get a bike seat for my daughter, so I could start riding again. I found a bike trailer on my company’s FreeCycle site, and I’m Queen of the Road again! Thanks for the motivation!)

Jen

180. Janet on September 21st, 2009 8:44 pm

Wow, you totally kicked ass! I love the finish line picture, you are obviously the one having the most fun which is what it’s all (well, mostly) about!!

WOOT! Rock on with your bad self!

181. Ashley on September 21st, 2009 9:25 pm

YAY! DOUBLE YAY! TRIPLE FUCKING YAY!

182. Jess on September 21st, 2009 9:26 pm

So proud of you! you identified your fears, met them head on and conquered them. you are inspiration to so many and I hope that you realize this. way to go!!!

183. Ris on September 21st, 2009 9:30 pm

Yup, this totally made me cry. Also? You are SUCH a badass. Congratulations.

184. wordygirl on September 21st, 2009 9:58 pm

So proud of you, Linda! ROCK ON!!!

185. Ginger on September 21st, 2009 10:07 pm

You really are a badass, girlfriend. You rock!

186. Playstead on September 22nd, 2009 12:00 am

I gotta give it up to you: setting your mind to it and doing a triathlon is friggin’ awesome. The only thing I can get motivated for right now is the bottom of a bottle of Syrah and Say Anything on Starz.

187. Marshall Karp on September 22nd, 2009 4:52 am

Kudos, baby. It’s really a quadrathalon if you count the transition into the blogging segment. That probably took longer than the tri.

BTW, I always finish first in my age group, but that’s because all the other guys my age are dead.

188. Jessamyn on September 22nd, 2009 4:59 am

You rock!

189. Deb on September 22nd, 2009 7:37 am

YAY YOU!!!!!!

190. April on September 22nd, 2009 7:45 am

You are awesome Linda! You are a total badass!

Man. I really want to do a triathlon now.

191. Valria on September 22nd, 2009 7:54 am

Nicely Done Linda.
    Good job! Good for you!

192. Jenny on September 22nd, 2009 8:00 am

I had a huge smile myself the entire time I was reading this. This is awesome and inspiring!

193. Lori on September 22nd, 2009 8:36 am

Congrats on getting out of bed in the rain.

Swimming in the race vs swimming in the pool is like learning to drive on a country road and then trying to negotiate your way around Manhattan.

Thanks for fessing up to the swimming trouble because most of us have similar experiences.

2 weeks before my first 1/2 Ironman I did a “little sprint” to get race experience. My swim went just like yours. I panicked. Every day for two weeks I drove an hour to a lake and practiced swimming.

I have now done 2 full Ironman races and won my age group in one. I have learned I need to get in the water and warm up, get used to the environment. Sometimes it takes 15 minutes but better I get calmed down before the race than spend 15 minutes during the race trying to find my rhythm.

194. Kristen on September 22nd, 2009 9:18 am

You are so fucking inspiring! Congratulations!

195. KF on September 22nd, 2009 9:24 am

If I EVER become a mom, you are one of the ones I shall try to model myself after. I know you’re gonna’ think that’s creepy – but you are a healthy, happy, neurotic example of everything that’s right with the world right now. Great work.
    Way to kick ass!

196. kimblahg on September 22nd, 2009 11:01 am

Oh my God, you are already such the ass kicker. Great job, you are an inspiration.

197. victoria on September 22nd, 2009 1:01 pm

Linda, you made me laugh when you Tweeted, “People with lobe-stretching earrings officially make me hyperventilate. Young MAN, you won’t be a funky barista FOREVER.”

I used to feel that way about all permanent body-modification (including tattoos). The only body modification I could tolerate was single piercing of the ears. I wasn’t allowed to pierce my ears until I was 18, but when I finally did have pierced ears, I got SOOOO much pleasure for wearing earrings! (My mother went to her grave with unpierced ears because permanent body modification for cosmetic disgusted her so much: “What are you going to do next,” she would ask, “put a bone through your nose?”)

Now, the only body modification that still really freaks me out is pierced ears on babies. Tackeeee.

198. Operation Pink Herring on September 22nd, 2009 1:44 pm

Linda, this is so, so awesome. I am so proud, and I don’t even know you. And the photos are awesome, way to go JB (or whoever took them)!

199. allison on September 22nd, 2009 2:58 pm

CONGRATS! you deserve a whole week of grins :)

200. Rebecca on September 22nd, 2009 4:12 pm

YOU ALREADY KICK ASS!

201. Niki P on September 22nd, 2009 5:27 pm

I am all weepy here for you. Well done. The smile at the end says it all.

202. mommymae on September 22nd, 2009 8:59 pm

this? is awesome. great job! i hope to do a mini-tri, but need a bike first. that’s the part i dread.

203. Nicole on September 22nd, 2009 9:39 pm

Amazing! Is there anything you can’t do??? Seriously. I’d like to know. Because it might make me feel better about myself.

204. Jennifer on September 23rd, 2009 12:05 am

p.s. if you follow the link above to Carol’s blog, remove the trailing closing parenthesis so the link resolves! Argh!

205. Bridget on September 23rd, 2009 7:20 am

FANTASTIC!

I love your smile during the whole thing and that is what it’s all about. It’s great to do something for you….keep up the good work!

206. Boy Crazy on September 23rd, 2009 7:53 am

not sure if you’ll even get to this (being that its the 200th and somethingth comment), but I had to delurk to say CONGRATS!!! I love the picture of you on your bike with the green in the background. Great shot.

I don’t know if they have races like this in Seattle, but my husband and I do a triathlon that doesn’t have swimming — it’s a downriver paddle (mild whitewater), off-road bike rice (mostly logging roads and single track), and a rugged trail run. It’s really fun, and you don’t have to swim!!! (the scary part for me).

Nice work. And great photos. I found myself smiling a mile wide reading the part about the volunteer yelling EYE OF THE TIGER! Now I’ve got the song stuck in my head. :)

207. Teresa on September 23rd, 2009 9:42 am

CONGRATS!! I envy your determiniation, and I envy your accomplishment. I would love to do a triathalon. You should be VERY proud of yourself. Im proud of you.

208. Kristen on September 23rd, 2009 9:56 am

Congratulations! :)

You are an absolute inspiration! What an incredible accomplishment! I am so happy for you :)

209. Kirsten on September 23rd, 2009 11:14 am

Awesome job! Well Done!

210. Miss on September 23rd, 2009 12:31 pm

That pic of you on the bike is one of the coolest pics EVER.

Congrats on finishing!!

211. Amy on September 23rd, 2009 10:14 pm

Holy crap, Linda. You kick some serious ass! Way to inspire!!

212. Margie on September 24th, 2009 12:42 am

KICK ASS!
    Good on you for being a woman who DOES COOL STUFF, doesn’t care what you look like while doing it and enjoys yourself. Your hard work paid off – congratulations!

213. Frema on September 24th, 2009 11:42 am

OK, this in no way compares, but I’m doing my first 5K run this Saturday, and I’m nervous as hell about it. This was inspiring, so thanks. And congratulations!

214. Becky Mochaface on September 24th, 2009 2:35 pm

Congratulations! Well do I remember that horrible horrible jelly leg feeling in the transition from biking to running. Which is exactly why I have since refused to do triathlons of any length. And which is also why people who actually do them – again of any length – are rockstars in my eyes. So yay you, you rockstar!

215. Anonymous on September 29th, 2009 12:12 pm

Hi. I have been reading your journey over at bodies in motivation and I wanted to let you know I enjoyed your race recap! You looked great out there! I did my first Triathlon in March and it was a reversed super sprint (run/bike/swim) because it was March and March is cold. The swim was in a pool but I had a similar problem with my swim and had to do a head-out-of-water free-style-like stroke. It sucked but I survived and made it to the end. I apparently don’t do well in a heated pool after running/biking in the cold. My face felt like it would explode under the hot water!

216. K on September 29th, 2009 12:13 pm

Oops. Forgot to put in my info above.. I’m the anonymous at 12:12.

217. An Acorn Dreaming » Blog Archive » A Rabbit Hole Full of Cookies: My Body War returns on October 6th, 2009 9:12 am

[...] Old!  I’m 38, for god’s sake.  Dana Torres is in her 40s and swam in the Olympics.  People do triathlons for the first time in their 30s.  They run marathons.  Some professional athletes are still in their 30s.   I’m not 88.  [...]