This isn’t the exact design of our card (I hemmed and hawed over card layouts and naturally found the one I like the best a couple weeks after ordering and mailing out the ones I originally chose), and the Festive Family Newsletter has been altered a bit, but if I could afford more than two damn books of stamps this year, and I had all your addresses like the good little stalker I am, this is what I’d have sent you:

holidaycard2009

—-

Hello family and friends!

What a busy year it’s been at our household! Why, it’s almost impossible to know where to start—but let’s begin with this very card you hold in your hands. We are very happy with this image, which took a mere three hours, 4928105 digital photos, two sobbing children, and the eventual threat of bodily harm to capture! Gosh, there were SO MANY options featuring a child with a vacant, drooling gaze, or an adult whose facade of happiness slipped for a moment to reveal the desperate, sweaty desire for escape burning deep within their soul . . . but we felt this one was the best representation of Team Sundry!

Go team!!!

2009 has been very exciting for John, what with the launch of his new business Vioguard and his new title of ENTREPRENEUR! It was a hard decision to say goodbye to Microsoft, but we all feel confident this was the best choice for him. Unless of course the company runs out of money, in which case we sure hope you have an extra room in your house for us! Ha ha! Don’t worry, only one of us still wets the bed! Whoops, make that two!

Linda continues to enjoy life at Workplace, where she is very proud of the fact that after nearly eight continuous years of employment with the same company, she finally knows how to replace the water jug—all by herself!

We couldn’t be more proud of our kids and their many achievements in 2009. Riley had a fantastic day recently at school where he received not one, but TWO separate Injury Incident Reports for running headfirst into doorways! We were so thrilled! One more and he gets Preschool Head Bump Bingo! AIM HIGH, RILEY! Dylan’s second birthday is in February, but we’re convinced he’s a gifted child because he’s been in the terrible twos for months! Watch out, MENSA! Dylan’s also talking up a storm these days, and his favorite word to say is “horse”. Can you imagine how adorable it is to hear a toddler say “horse” all day long? “HORSE. HORSE. HORSE. HORSE.” Oh, it never gets old!

It wouldn’t be a family update without some news of our pets! Sadly, our cat Meercat went missing this year, but as Riley said, maybe she’s not really on a cat vacation, maybe she’s DEAD! So that’s a comfort! Our elderly dog Ashley is still going strong, despite having the breath of a bloated, rotting walrus corpse left on a beach in the height of summer! Way to go, Ashley!

Well, happy holidays to one and all! Here’s to 2010 and even MORE heartwarming memories!

—–

Happy holidays, friends. You have been a huge part of my year, and I thank you for being here.

Comments

87 Responses to “Christmas card”

1. Lindsay on December 23rd, 2009 9:19 pm

Oh my gosh, that part about Riley and Cat, although terribly sad, also kind of made me laugh. Um, hysterically. I’m a terrible person. But could you maybe write my holiday letter next year?

2. Kristin on December 23rd, 2009 9:28 pm

This was the best Christmas letter I’ve received, ever.

You’re hella inspiring, lady. We have to plan this Vancouver Seattle meetup thing (you should come here, I think) It’s one of my goals in 2010.

Happy holidays to you and your sweet, gorgeous fam.

3. Anyabeth on December 23rd, 2009 9:42 pm

My mind is totally blown by knowing Dog’s name.

4. Alexa on December 23rd, 2009 10:02 pm

dying, just dying. Happy holidays Team Sundry.

5. Lola on December 23rd, 2009 10:15 pm

You are so cute! You know what I’m dying for you to do? That end of the year questionnaire thing. Can’t wait.

6. Kari on December 24th, 2009 12:02 am

This totally reminds me of the last scene of Sex in the City, when Mr. Big’s real name was revealed.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

7. Donna on December 24th, 2009 1:50 am

I have been showing your picture and letter to everyone that gets within 10 feet of me, and you are the big winner of the best xmas letter ever!
    Ya’ll ROCK!

8. ginger on December 24th, 2009 4:06 am

You outed your pets’ names to the Internet! Linda, I am shocked.

Merry, merry HORSE HORSE HORSE HORSE!

9. amanda on December 24th, 2009 4:15 am

Can’t think of a better way to kick off my Christmas Eve than with reading this. Awesome. Merry Christmas!

10. Crys on December 24th, 2009 6:47 am

Too funny!

11. Em on December 24th, 2009 7:02 am

Hi Linda,
    I’ve never left a comment here before but I have been reading for a long tme. I just wanted to say thank you for making my day – I am stuck at work on Christmas Eve and that post made me laugh, which is hard to do when you are stuck at work on Christmas Eve. :)
    Merry Christmas, and all the best to you in 2010!

12. Tia on December 24th, 2009 8:06 am

Hey Linda, Happy Holidays to you too!
    Can’t wait to see what adventures are in store for 2010.

13. kate on December 24th, 2009 8:28 am

love the card, and the letter is hilarious. merry Christmas and thanks for the laughs all year!

14. Nicki on December 24th, 2009 8:50 am

I think this may now be my favorite Christmas letter. Sorry to my family, they need to step up their game apparently. Happy Holidays to you and yours as well, and I hope the new year is a good one for you.

15. Michelle Whitehurst on December 24th, 2009 9:17 am

Merry Christmas!!! I check your blog everyday and enjoy reading it VERY MUCH!!! Thank you so much for writing and sharing.

16. Maria on December 24th, 2009 11:06 am

I guess I figured they had actual names, but I always imagined that your pets were truly called “Cat” and “Dog”…in a Holly Golightly kind of way.

Your tweets and your blog keep me laughing on a daily basis. I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas.

17. suzr on December 24th, 2009 11:43 am

Happy Holidays to the…the…um, Sundry’s?

Thanks for all the laughs and intimidating fear of future parenthood. Did I say “indimidating fear?” I meant honesty and encouragement!

Here’s to happiness in 2010!

Cheers (with the non-alcoholic beverage of your choice)!
    Suz

18. suzr on December 24th, 2009 11:43 am

and i can spel to :-D

19. Emily on December 24th, 2009 12:33 pm

Your posts always make me laugh out loud and this Christmas letter was no exception!

20. statia on December 24th, 2009 12:53 pm

That sounds like a Christmas newsletter that I would write.

21. Claire on December 24th, 2009 2:30 pm

By far, better than any family update letters I ever get. Merry Christmas!!

22. Carrie on December 24th, 2009 2:44 pm

Wow. You score BIG TIME on the Swistle scoring system! Best card I’ve NOT gotten all year!

23. Anonymous on December 24th, 2009 3:29 pm

Best holiday letter ever.

Also, what a beautiful family. We haven’t attempted a family photo yet. Mostly because of my fear of a total meltdown (mine, not Alex’s).

24. Shawna on December 24th, 2009 6:07 pm

Merry Christmas Team Sundry! Thanks for a year of great blogging! (!!!!)

25. jody on December 24th, 2009 11:38 pm

Thank you for making me laugh out loud when I’m at my computer late at night. Thank you for giving words to so many of my frustrations, and for capturing the beautiful mess that can be life with a husband and two little boys (no matter how wonderful they all might be–and mine are wonderful!) I am so glad I found your blog. I look forward to every new post. =0)

26. Leah Rubin on December 25th, 2009 4:25 pm

Great card, beautiful family! Your year-end letter is terrific! I’m still working on ours (for 2007). Maybe I’ll get there soon?

Merry Christmas to you all!

27. Jem on December 25th, 2009 6:19 pm

haha yeah, Cat, Dog and JB’s names have been mentioned a few times over the years…that’s what I get for stalking you since the Diaryland days though! WAY TO GO, JEM!

28. Kelly C on December 26th, 2009 7:37 pm

How can I get on your Christmas list? :-)

29. kat on December 26th, 2009 8:39 pm

he! i loved this newsletter. i’m all for the funny and less of the boast. merry christmas!

30. Michelle on December 27th, 2009 7:06 pm

I’ve been hoping you’d share since reading all about it on twitter. Thanks!!!! And, like someone mentioned above, I was most excited to learn Dog’s real name too :)

31. sheilah on December 28th, 2009 12:57 pm

Hehehe…this is so totally funny. I am so tempted to copy parts of this as a counterpoint newsletter to all the sappy letters we usually get (“…Jimmy has been elected President of the Planet while Janey is now the Queen of all Creation…”).

32. Currently « About a Vern on January 4th, 2010 8:52 pm

[…] until my sided hurt at this Christmas letter. I wish I would have seen it […]

33. Salvatore on March 8th, 2015 5:21 am

Very sweet pictures. I’m goign to try again, but Benjamin thghuot looking down at the grass was good. Or as soon as he see’s the camera he zero’s in on it and just stares but won’t do his cute smiles, I definetly need to be the one getting him to smile not snapping the pictures I guess, or soon he will come around I’m sure.

34. insurance quotes car on March 25th, 2015 8:59 am

Yo, good lookin out! Gonna make it work now.

35. auto insurance quotes Delaware on April 1st, 2015 8:59 am

Just a quick one: When my son has teething pain, and he’s always in tons of pain with his teeth, we’ve learned to use the infant’s ibuprofen instead of Tylenol. The Tylenol NEVER worked for him but the ibuprofen actually eases the pain. (We’re on the last two of the first year molars with some canines thrown in for good measure.)I hope Miss Trixie gets through them quickly! I’m sorry to hear that they hurt her.

36. auto insurance on April 7th, 2015 9:14 am

Yo lo veo más como alquiler de un espacio en internet, por lo que estaría afecto a la detracción del 12% como arrendamiento de bienes muebles. Cabe indicar que ya en un Informe de SUNAT se indicó que el arrendamiento de un intangible (software) está afecto a la detracción del 12% como arrendamiento de bienes muebles.

37. http://collegesurfer.info/are-online-gunsmithing-schools-any-good.php on October 10th, 2015 4:26 am

A pleasingly rational answer. Good to hear from you.