First things first:

race_dunzo

I’ve got a marathon medal. Sure, it says “Finisher” which is sort of like “Participant!” or “Great Attendance!” but what the hell, I have a MARATHON MEDAL.

I don’t even really know how to describe the race except that I had two very clear thoughts at two very different parts of the course, and they were as follows:

• This is one of the best experiences of my entire life
• This is the worst experience of my entire life

And it was, really. Both of those things.

I felt pretty good during the first half, strong and in good spirits. Then there was kind of a long dreary stretch along a highway that was boring and grueling, and just after that section, right when I needed it, there were my boys on the side of the road. Riley was waving like mad and holding up a sign for me and Dylan was perched on his grandfather’s shoulders and I totally lost my shit. It was just one of the most amazing feelings ever, being able to run up and hug them and have everyone tell me I looked good and they were proud of me and Dylan squealing and Riley saying “Mommy!” over and over. That was . . . well. I am never going to forget that, ever.

race_kids

race_thumbs

I picked up after that for a while and then there was a really awful section during which I kind of needed to go to the bathroom and then I really needed to go to the bathroom and then I was in dire fucking agony and desperately scouting bushes on the side of the trail and calculating over and over just How Bad Things Were and this lasted from mile 18 to 22 because there were no porta-potties for that stretch and it was totally my worst nightmare come true and I have no idea what my problem was because I never get those kinds of problems and I can kind of laugh about it now but oh jesus it wasn’t even remotely funny at the time.

(PS: When I finally got to a bathroom? No toilet paper. And I’d just like to give a public apology to my handkerchief for its undignified and disrespectful end of life.)

JB’s brother was waiting with JB at mile 21 and for a brief minute Joe ran with me, in his formal funeral-director suit and shoes, and I wish like hell I had a photo of that moment because it was kind of epic in its awesomeness.

Then JB ran with me from mile 21 to 26, which was a lifesaver. Those last four miles or so were . . . man, I don’t even know, it was like my entire body was disintegrating. I felt like the kids in that Stephen King story, The Long Walk, where all I could do was stare at the ground ahead of me and keep putting one foot in front of the other. I saw the boys again at mile 24, which was a slice of pure joy among all the pain, and then the finish was so close, so close I could see the stadium.

race_riley

JB kept pace, pushing me to keep going, and he cut away right before mile 26. There were so many people lining the route, everyone cheering and yelling encouragement, and we ran between barricades which led us onto Hayward Field. The very last bit was on the track, rounding the bend and into the straightaway, and I picked up my feet and sprinted across the finish mat.

With, I will confess, Chariots of Fire playing on my iPod. I KNOW, RIGHT?

race_finish

After the finish I pretty much collapsed in tears and just sobbed openly while some nice college girl put a medal over my head and it was done. Done, done, done, my god.

My finish time was just under five hours. Slow by some standards, but I don’t care. Oh, you guys. I did it.

race_medal

Comments

320 Responses to “26.2: DONE”

1. tiffany Pelletier on May 2nd, 2010 8:52 pm

Congratulations!! YOU DID IT!

2. Kate on May 2nd, 2010 8:53 pm

Amazing. Just amazing! *You* are amazing! Congratulations! I am in awe.

3. laura Porras on May 2nd, 2010 8:53 pm

Absolutely AMAZING! I am crying I’m so happy for you – yeah, kinda weird since I don’t know you, but it’s just such an unbelievable accomplishment – Congratulations :)

4. Rachel on May 2nd, 2010 8:54 pm

YAY1 Congrats! You rock :)

5. Julie on May 2nd, 2010 8:56 pm

congratulations!!! such an amazing accomplishment.

6. BethanyWD on May 2nd, 2010 8:56 pm

WOOT! Congratulations.

7. samantha jo Campen on May 2nd, 2010 8:59 pm

I’m all teary. Hearing about the kids, JB running with you, Joe running with you, the kids again, all of it.

Wow. What a fabulous life experience my GOD. Remember when you first started running? And you were wheezing going around the block? And how you did your first 5K and said it was awful and who would ever do that again?

Gives me hope.

8. Stevie on May 2nd, 2010 9:00 pm

Awesome. Totally, completely awesome. Congrats! So what’s next? Ironman triathlon? ;-)

9. Jenn Perryman on May 2nd, 2010 9:01 pm

Yup, totally amazing. And I was trying not to get choked up as I read this too, because my husband will ask me what was wrong, and I’d have to explain the whole “someone I kinda know but have never met or talked to and doesn’t really know me ran a marathon today and it is just so… awesome” and he’d give me THAT look.

But still… totally in awe of your ability to kick ass when called for.

10. lisa on May 2nd, 2010 9:02 pm

Fabulous! Thanks for sharing your journey with us- you are an inspiration!

11. Elle on May 2nd, 2010 9:02 pm

Yay!!! Congratulations!! I (and everyone else for that matter) knew you could do it!

So, when’s the next one? :)

12. moojoose on May 2nd, 2010 9:03 pm

You are a remarkable woman and this post made me ugly cry (with joy) for you. Congratulations on achieving your goal! You are such an inspiration!!

13. Meredith Savage on May 2nd, 2010 9:04 pm

So proud of you! That’s awesome!

14. ginger on May 2nd, 2010 9:05 pm

Da dum da da DUM da DUM da DUM da da da da DAAAAHHHH (wah-wah) … what, you don’t recognize Chariots of Fire written like that?

Congratulations, Linda! Amazing the difference a coupla years can make.

15. Emily on May 2nd, 2010 9:06 pm

WAHOO!!! Totally teary for you too. Congratulations. Don’t ever forget how amazing you are. Ever!

16. Heather C on May 2nd, 2010 9:07 pm

Wow, congratulations! I am seriously in awe. And also in “Awwww” for the Riley and Dylan moments!

17. Valria on May 2nd, 2010 9:08 pm

Totally Awesome!!!
    Great support system there!

18. kate on May 2nd, 2010 9:09 pm

Bravo. BRAVO!!!

19. ginger on May 2nd, 2010 9:10 pm

Uh, it dawns on me that came out wrong. Please assume I meant that the good way, rather than the dismissive way or the way that suggests you were an inert tub of goo a couple of years ago. Okay? Yeah. Sorry. This is why I don’t go out much.

20. Kathleen on May 2nd, 2010 9:12 pm

Just awesome. I’ve never heard a marathon story that involved that level of cheering from the sideline, which makes it even more awesome. And you ran for almost five hours? Who cares about speed, that’s pretty admirable!

21. Jamie :) on May 2nd, 2010 9:12 pm

Many, many CONGRATULATIONS to you! You are AMAZING!!!! :)

22. Maggie on May 2nd, 2010 9:13 pm

It’s amazing. You kick ASS, Linda!

23. Michelle on May 2nd, 2010 9:13 pm

Well, I cried just reading this. Seriously awesome. Fan-freakin’-tastic. :)

24. Jen on May 2nd, 2010 9:14 pm

YOU DID IT!!! For the rest of your life, you will look back on this day and remember You Are Amazing. Woohoo!!! This post made my night!

25. Jem on May 2nd, 2010 9:17 pm

Ahh congratulations!!! As a long time reader since diaryland and seeing you over all these years, I totally cried. lol. and I love that you played Chariots of Fire!!!

26. shriek house on May 2nd, 2010 9:18 pm

Dude. I cried just READING that. Rock on.

27. Angella on May 2nd, 2010 9:21 pm

You made me CRY, dammit.

Happy for you, proud of you and all of the things that you deserve to hear.

YOU DID IT.

28. ErinM on May 2nd, 2010 9:21 pm

Awesome!!! Way to go, Linda!!!! Congrats! (And a few more !!!!!!! just because.)

29. honeybecke on May 2nd, 2010 9:25 pm

Hell yah! You are amazing Linda!
    I have been anxious to read about your 26.2 all day. You gonna get 26.2 tattooed on your foot or what?
    Well done. Relish the day!

30. Mimi on May 2nd, 2010 9:31 pm

Wow, wow, WOW! So awesome. Great job!

31. charla on May 2nd, 2010 9:32 pm

huge congrats, linda — i can’t say amazing, because i’m not even surprised that you finished. you’re quite a woman!

32. Kim on May 2nd, 2010 9:35 pm

That’s amazing. *Wiping tears from eyes*

Have enjoyed reading about your journey, very inspiring. Your kids are awesome!

33. Connie on May 2nd, 2010 9:36 pm

Yeah, I am crying too. Congrats!!!!

34. Tracy on May 2nd, 2010 9:39 pm

That is so awesome. Well, except for the bathroom part.

35. Margaret on May 2nd, 2010 9:43 pm

You are an inspiration, truly. Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us.

36. Anonymous on May 2nd, 2010 9:44 pm

oh my god, holy crap, you ran 26 miles. That’s amazing

37. Mandy on May 2nd, 2010 9:45 pm

Aw, you made me all teary-eyed! Congratulations and well done!

38. Bridget on May 2nd, 2010 9:50 pm

Man…I choked up reading your Twitter updates earlier today, and I’m choking up reading this now. You are such a badass. What an accomplishment. Good for you.

39. Shana on May 2nd, 2010 9:51 pm

Go, Linda! You amaze me with your persistence and stamina. I bet Riley will remember it, too. :)

40. Lara on May 2nd, 2010 9:56 pm

Is that one of your little guys in the blue with his arms stretched out in the 3rd to last photo? He is so excited – incredibly cute! Good on you, I’m beyond impressed!

41. heather on May 2nd, 2010 9:57 pm

yah! awesome job, girl.

42. wordygirl on May 2nd, 2010 10:01 pm

WE KNEW YOU COULD! What a great story. It’s so awesome that your boys were there to cheer you on. Way to go!! I bet your family is so damn proud of you!

43. Alex on May 2nd, 2010 10:05 pm

This post brought me to tears. I’m just so *happy* for you!

Congratulations!

44. Jill on May 2nd, 2010 10:08 pm

Congratulations, that is awesome! I have been thinking about taking up running (like to the mailbox for starters) and went shoe shopping today, and the salesgirl left me completely alone and I was so out of my element I left. You have inspired me to go somewhere else and get some damn shoes.

45. marta on May 2nd, 2010 10:13 pm

OMG Linda, you rock so Holy Hard! Congratulations!!!!
    As a total aside, thanks for the calorie calculator app tip. Totally changing the way I eat.

46. mrsgryphon on May 2nd, 2010 10:16 pm

Congratulations! I definitely got a little teary reading that, and I’m sure you’re absolutely bursting with pride tonight!! That medal is well deserved… and I hope you’ve got massages and hot tub time scheduled for tomorrow ;)

47. Alyce on May 2nd, 2010 10:20 pm

You kick so much ass! Congratulations!!!!

48. Sassy on May 2nd, 2010 10:25 pm

Congratulations!! Such an amazing achievement!

49. Kate on May 2nd, 2010 10:27 pm

Please pass the Kleenex. Dammit, I’m at work and how am I supposed to answer the phone with this huge lump in my throat??

Seriously, Linda. I don’t even have words. What an amazing day. To have your family there cheering you on, and running with you, and the pictures?? OMG.

I swore I’d never be interested in doing a full, so STOP BEING ALL INSPIRING AND SHIT.

Congratulations. Revel in it – you earned it.

50. Anonymous on May 2nd, 2010 10:27 pm

Many, many, many congrats and god damn if I’m not crying into my bowl of organic cereal right this very moment.

Congratulations, you kick ass, and how wonderful and awesome was your support system?

I’m so happy for you.

51. Ginger on May 2nd, 2010 10:29 pm

I am going to think of you when I go back to Jazzercise next week for the first time in about five years and two kids.

You rock, lady!

52. Chiara on May 2nd, 2010 10:35 pm

So excited and proud! Awesome awesome job girl.

53. Leah on May 2nd, 2010 10:39 pm

I love that JB ran with you when you needed it most of all. What a great team you guys are, even when you’re pursuing individual goals.

54. Lesley on May 2nd, 2010 10:49 pm

Congratulations on a stunning achievement! Under five hours for a first time running 26-miles is pretty damned awesome. You should be really proud of yourself.

Love the photo of Riley holding his arms out. Nothing could be sweeter than your kids cheering you on and being immensely proud of their mom. You’re an inspiration.

And your bro-in-law deserves a good humour award. Too funny.

55. jody on May 2nd, 2010 10:50 pm

So, so awesome. Love the photos of your boys and how excited they were. You should be PROUD!

56. Ashley on May 2nd, 2010 10:51 pm

Fucking EPIC! So proud :)

57. Meredith on May 2nd, 2010 10:53 pm

I am so incredibly proud of you. You are an inspiration. Thank you

58. karion on May 2nd, 2010 11:03 pm

God, I am so relieved to know I am not the only one who got a little teary reading this.

Huge congrats to you for setting out to do something so grueling and accomplishing that amazing goal. I was surprised at how enthusiastically I reacted to your tweets and updates about it, and am completely relieved that I was not the only one who got caught up in the emotion of your accomplishment.

It really is inspiring, as trite and cliche as it sounds. Unabashedly inspiring, actually.

59. MichelleH on May 2nd, 2010 11:03 pm

Oh wow, got completely teary reading that! Way to go!!!!!!!!!!

60. Camels & Chocolate on May 2nd, 2010 11:14 pm

You are such a rockstar!!! That’s amazing!! And I totally can agonize with you, as this took me back to my one (and only) marathon. Had I not had my running buddy run me through the second half marathon (particularly the last three miles), I may very well not have finished!

Now the big question remains: Do you think you’ll do a second??

61. tanya on May 2nd, 2010 11:31 pm

I am crying. I am so happy for you. Congratulations.

62. sooboo on May 2nd, 2010 11:39 pm

You are so fucking cool!!!!!!

63. Kathryn (katiemagics) on May 2nd, 2010 11:53 pm

You ran for 5 hours. Can you even believe it? I’m so amazed and inspired. It’s because of you that I’m doing my first race (a tri) in June. Thank you, and congratulations woman!!!

64. Velocibadgergirl on May 2nd, 2010 11:54 pm

Dude, you kick so much ass :D And I still can’t believe how great and not-dead you look in your after photo. Congrats!!

65. Karl on May 3rd, 2010 12:04 am

JB .. Ran with your from miles 21 to 26? and then CUT OFF FOR THE FINISH???

Oh Linda. You need to have this guy’s babies. Er, yeah….

Seriously, congrats. The one time I tried the full 26.2 I ended up with a tibial stress fracture. (crap!) You beat 5 hours. YOU FINISHED.

Congratulations. Winner Linda!

66. Kirsten on May 3rd, 2010 12:07 am

Dude, that made me tear up…and almost (ALMOST) made me with I would start running. Good job girl, you fucking ROCK!

67. Amy on May 3rd, 2010 12:19 am

Giant congratulations!

68. Donna on May 3rd, 2010 12:39 am

!

I have no words.

AND you’re still smiling, how is that possible?

69. ElizabethZ on May 3rd, 2010 1:33 am

Way to go! I knew you were going to finish – there was no doubt. So, when’s the next one?

70. Lucy on May 3rd, 2010 2:00 am

Congratulations! That is a huge achievement, well done! Your photos capture the moment so well, they are a great record for you to share with the boys in years to come.

71. Jo on May 3rd, 2010 2:00 am

You are a star! I’ve got tears in my eyes, just a stellar effort – yay you!!

72. JMH on May 3rd, 2010 2:31 am

Amazing. I also shed a few tears while reading this…and now I need to start running again ;)

73. Catriona on May 3rd, 2010 2:39 am

Amazing! Congratulations!!

74. Christine on May 3rd, 2010 3:06 am

Congratulations! You’re amazing! And awesome! And I just want to hug you and your amazing little family too. Just so stinking cool.

75. Eric's Mommy on May 3rd, 2010 3:10 am

You are such an inspiration Linda. Way to go!

I am so proud of you!!

76. beach on May 3rd, 2010 3:26 am

CONGRATULATIONS. That is epic. Tears sprung to my eyes when I read JB ran with you miles 21-26. So awesome. Treat yourself to something special Linda. You deserve it. I look forward to reading about how your body feels apres le race!!

77. sas on May 3rd, 2010 3:43 am

you did it!
    christ i am bawling like an idiot reading this.
    you are just awesome.

78. Jean on May 3rd, 2010 3:45 am

You are AMAZING and INSPIRING and you ROCK! So damn awestruck by your accomplishments!! Congratulations!!

79. Bethany on May 3rd, 2010 4:05 am

Congratulations! You are such an inspiration. I cried while reading this.

80. Lori on May 3rd, 2010 4:18 am

Amazing! Congratulations.

81. Kelli on May 3rd, 2010 4:22 am

Congrats! You are totally my inspiration as I struggle through the Couch to 5K program! Dude, you just ran a MARATHON…you just ran for 5 hours! You are awesome.

82. Christine on May 3rd, 2010 4:24 am

OMG, congratulations, you are such an inspiration! And you look awesome in the pictures. Your family is amazing, too, what a great support they were, especially when it was hard.
    You did it!

83. Christine on May 3rd, 2010 4:31 am

Congrats! YOU DID IT! YOU ROCK! And you are my inspiration! I am committing myself to training for a half marathon here in NJ starting in September when my youngest is in pre-school 2 days a week and I am child free for some long runs. OMG! Linda, I am so proud of you (even though I don’t know you or anything…sorry if that got creepy!)

84. Jess on May 3rd, 2010 4:32 am

You are awesome! I am crying here reading through this. I am so proud of you! You are amazing!

85. Kerstin on May 3rd, 2010 4:47 am

Wow. Well done, and what lovely family you have.

86. Catherine on May 3rd, 2010 4:48 am

You truly just brought me to tears, I am inspired by your willingness to do something that seems so terrifying. My husband is a runner and I’ve always scoffed at the idea of running myself, but maybe…

87. Alissa on May 3rd, 2010 4:49 am

WOW – Amazing! I got teary-eyed reading this. The high point was definitely that you used my suggestion for “Chariots of fire” as you crossed the line, though! Woot woot!! haha :)

CONGRATULATIONS!! :)

88. lindsay on May 3rd, 2010 4:52 am

I woke up yesterday w/ your marathon on my brain. So pumped it went well…you make me want to sign up for one! And I second the comment about Riley cheering with his arms open..too sweet.

89. SC Girl on May 3rd, 2010 5:00 am

Oh now I’m all teary damn it! Linda, this perfect stranger from the other side of the continent couldn’t be prouder of you! I’m running a 10k (I’ve only ever done a 5k and I cried at the end of that – I’d need a tranquillizer after a full marathon) in about 6 weeks and I’m dragging my feet in getting started on training. As soon as my husband walks in the door tonight I’m going for a run – Thanks for the inspiration and Congratulations!!!

90. Jan on May 3rd, 2010 5:05 am

Congratulations! What an amazing accomplishment! I too had tears reading this post – soooooo happy for you.

91. Megsie on May 3rd, 2010 5:07 am

I have never commented here, but the tear in my eye requires me to say: CONGRATULATIONS! What an incredible feat. And this on the third day after I began running ONE minute and then walking nine minutes in a set of four. And my legs hurt. Plus, NO TOILET PAPER? Come on people! That is the least they could provide. And, I LOVE the medal. You deserve it!

92. Becky on May 3rd, 2010 5:18 am

YEAH!!!!!!!! I am joining the masses withe tears and congratulations!!!!!!

93. Emma on May 3rd, 2010 5:24 am

I hope one day you (seriously) realize what an inspiration you are to so many faceless people out here…people who feel like they know you. So thank you from the bottom of my heart!

94. Kaitlyn on May 3rd, 2010 5:27 am

Oh congrats, a million times! I am so PROUD of you!!

95. Stacy on May 3rd, 2010 5:27 am

You are such a badass … congrats!

96. Claire on May 3rd, 2010 5:28 am

You rock so hard!

97. Kate on May 3rd, 2010 5:31 am

This post SO made me cry and I’m on my way to work and now I have to go re-make-up!

Congratulations, Linda! You are always an inspiration.

98. June on May 3rd, 2010 5:33 am

You are amazing! I may have wept a little, reading the recap. Congratulations.

99. Denise on May 3rd, 2010 5:38 am

I just sat here at work reading this, holding back tears, because I didn’t to be the dufus crying at work. But seriously, great job, Linda! This is such an amazing accomplishment, and I’m so glad your family was there to root for you, and it was great of JB to run part of the end with you.

Congratulations!

100. JennyM on May 3rd, 2010 5:38 am

WOOOOO, you rock. I must confess I got a little weepy there.

So, when’s the next one?

101. Sarah on May 3rd, 2010 5:41 am

I wondered how you did all day yesterday and was so excited to see you did awesome! Very inspiring. Way to go! Love the photos.

102. Pam on May 3rd, 2010 5:43 am

EPIC WIN!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!

103. Carrie on May 3rd, 2010 5:43 am

You–are just so incredibly AWESOME!

104. Korinna on May 3rd, 2010 5:44 am

I think my favorite part of this post–not at all diminishing the fact that you ran for 5 HOURS!–is the first picture of you and JB.

The way you two manage to support one another’s goals is admirable.

Well done, fam…

105. PattM on May 3rd, 2010 5:45 am

Congrats! You are totally awesome.

106. Erin on May 3rd, 2010 5:46 am

Oh, Linda! Congrats congrats! So proud of you and your awesome accomplishment! You really are such an inspiration to so many (thought of you and your marathon during my normal 3-5 mile run yesterday. Knowing you were running a marathon inspired me to keep going – 6.72 miles, the farthest I’ve run. Ever!)

Thank you for sharing your journey with us! You rock!

107. Meg on May 3rd, 2010 5:46 am

Sundry, I’ve been reading you for forever, and I don’t think I’ve ever commented. I am so, so proud of you, and so very inspired. You RULE.

108. LJ on May 3rd, 2010 5:47 am

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

109. parkingathome on May 3rd, 2010 5:50 am

You have been an inspiring woman to me for so many years for so many different reasons, and you accomplishing this feat that I would bet a few years ago you would have laughed heartily at the prospect, it’s just incredible. You have grown so much as a woman, a mother, a wife, and yourself. The pictures of yourself now are smiles from your whole soul, not just your lips. It’s just amazing to see you figuring out who you are, what you’re capable of, and most of all finding happiness. Congratulations

110. Julie Boyce on May 3rd, 2010 5:50 am

I was thinking of you yesterday morning, as I was running Vancouver’s BMO Half, in the cold and wet… and as I neared the finish line and realized this would be the halfway mark of a marathon, I reminded myself in the strongest of terms NEVER to be so foolish as to do that! But YOU did and my hat is off to you! It’s a huge accomplishment and comes with some great bragging rights! Congrats!

111. Clueless But Hopeful Mama on May 3rd, 2010 5:54 am

I am teary and beyond impressed.

You = super stud.

And now I officially have NO excuse to skip my measly work out today.

112. Sara on May 3rd, 2010 6:00 am

AMAZING!!!

The only other acceptable song to be playing while you crossed the finish line would have been eye of the tiger.

113. Whitney on May 3rd, 2010 6:04 am

I’m so proud and thrilled for you, Linda!

114. Sarah M on May 3rd, 2010 6:05 am

I remember so many of those things from my first marathon!!! Congratulations, you are awesome!!

115. Danielle on May 3rd, 2010 6:05 am

You f’n rule!

Echoing the previous comment – there is no way I can justify skipping any workouts, either.

Wow!

116. joaaanna on May 3rd, 2010 6:09 am

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome. This post made me cry with happiness for you. For your hard work and the love of your family. Congratulations – you did great!

117. B on May 3rd, 2010 6:09 am

You will always have that with you-keep that strength with you in your tough times.

You rock.

118. Nora on May 3rd, 2010 6:11 am

So proud of you! I cried, too. Just awesome.

119. Danielle on May 3rd, 2010 6:12 am

Congrats! What an awesome achievement.

120. Diane on May 3rd, 2010 6:13 am

Linda, I feel so honored to “know” you. This is such a wonderful inspiring accomplishment and it is just so fantastic that you decided to do something and you did it. I have tears in my eyes thinking of your family being right there with you, cheering you on and running with you.

121. Trenches of Mommyhood on May 3rd, 2010 6:13 am

Amazing.

122. silene on May 3rd, 2010 6:19 am

You are amazing. I know I say this in my comments all the time, but you’ve inspired me to make so many changes in my life. I just came in from what was my hardest training run ever (only 3.2 miles, but still!), and it was so inspiring and joyful to read this. Thanks for sharing your journey. Oh, and…CONGRATULATIONS! You are a marathon runner!

123. nonsoccermom on May 3rd, 2010 6:21 am

That is just such an awesome accomplishment! So very exciting! Congratulations!!

As a side note, I will mention to my husband that maybe he should carry a handkerchief with him when he runs the San Francisco marathon this summer. Just in case.

124. LauraC on May 3rd, 2010 6:21 am

CONGRATULATIONS!!

125. Micki on May 3rd, 2010 6:21 am

Reading your story made me want to run somewhere right now and I’m not a runner.

You are the awesomest! Congratulations!

126. JLR on May 3rd, 2010 6:27 am

You are a amazing. I am a lurker who looks to you for inspiration – and man did you provide it!

YOU DID IT!!!

127. Andrea (@shutterbitch) on May 3rd, 2010 6:28 am

I am so stinkin proud of you I can’t even form the right words. YOU DID IT!!!

The question is now, are you going to consider doing it again? Where do you go from here?

128. kathleen on May 3rd, 2010 6:28 am

oh jesus, and now i’m crying. i am an big-goal-sap.

massive millions congrats. i hope you can bottle this feeling, this ‘i can do anything’ feeling. yay yay yay for you.

129. Claudia on May 3rd, 2010 6:30 am

Congratulations – you’re amazing.

130. kalisa on May 3rd, 2010 6:32 am

I don’t understand how you’re even standing upright in that picture. You are superwoman.

131. Shanee on May 3rd, 2010 6:33 am

You are amazing! Crying tears of joy for you!

132. Shawna on May 3rd, 2010 6:35 am

Way to go Linda! I am so proud of you!

133. pthsmokey on May 3rd, 2010 6:37 am

CONGRATULATIONS! I am so proud of you – I don’t even know you and I am proud of you! Thank you for the inspiration!

134. Shanna on May 3rd, 2010 6:38 am

Congratulations! Amazing!!

135. Coleen on May 3rd, 2010 6:38 am

OH MY GOD YOU TOTALLY DID IT! I am simply and utterly in awe of your badassery.

(I totally want your marathon playlist now, by the way. I am too curious for my own good.)

136. Erica on May 3rd, 2010 6:40 am

Congratulations! HUGE accomplishment. Wear your medal with pride :D

137. Kate on May 3rd, 2010 6:43 am

Congratulations! I am so proud of you! You are such an inspiration!

138. Marie Green on May 3rd, 2010 6:44 am

I was 9 when my dad ran his first (of 50) marathons. When we got home, he gave me his finish medal. I could still sob remembering that, remembering how proud I was of him. And now I’m crying because I’m so proud of you too, and seeing your kids there… well, many times throughout my life I was one of those kids, cheering her daddy on, running with him for a bit, and tearing up after he went around the bend (not wanting him to see).

Way to go Linda. I’m not exactly able to pinpoint why I have tears of pride for you- someone I don’t know- but alas… here I am, crying!

139. Erika on May 3rd, 2010 6:44 am

WOOT, THERE IT IS!! So excited for you! Gosh, I just love your family. You guys rock! Each and every one of you.

140. Erin W on May 3rd, 2010 6:44 am

I can’t exactly say why I’m crying but I am. You’re awesome.

141. Stephanie on May 3rd, 2010 6:53 am

You are so awesome and I am totally crying reading this! What an incredible accomplishment! I had a 5K yesterday and thought about you as the gun went off because I figured your marathon probably began at the same time (8am). YOU DID IT!!!

142. Lori on May 3rd, 2010 6:53 am

Finisher is MUCH different than participant. Not even close. Congratulations!

In every marathon there is that long, lonely stretch. You probably didn’t realise how much hunting for the porta-john took your mind off that long, lonely stretch.

And you look great at the end. Still smiling.

143. Anne on May 3rd, 2010 6:53 am

*fistbump*

You Rock.

144. Garnish on May 3rd, 2010 7:01 am

Yeah…pretty much lost it when you talked about seeing your boys along the route and them cheering you on. So, so proud of you. You set a goal and you.did.it! Your boys know that anything is possible in their world, if they put their mind to it. We all know that now. Thanks for the inspiration!

145. Sarah on May 3rd, 2010 7:06 am

Congrats!! I knew you could – but I am still so very proud of you! How awesome that your boys were there to lift your spirits along the way!! What an amazing experience, I’m sure!

146. squandra on May 3rd, 2010 7:07 am

Aieee! I’ve been reading since Diaryland, and just … damn. What a journey you’ve taken us on. So proud of you. Congratulations!

147. Angela on May 3rd, 2010 7:12 am

Way to go! What an awesome accomplishment. Let me join the others who said how much you inspire them. As soon as I kick this damn cold, I am going to hit the road and start running again, and this time I will make it through the entire Couch to 5K program. I can do it (thanks to you)!!!!

Congratulations!!

148. Ris on May 3rd, 2010 7:22 am

I’m so effing proud of you! And I’m definitely crying at my desk as I read this. Amazing. Congrats, lady.

149. babelbabe on May 3rd, 2010 7:24 am

you ROCK. Congratulations on a terrific achievement!

150. Danell on May 3rd, 2010 7:27 am

I can’t believe you ran for FIVE HOURS. FIIIIVE HOOOOUUUUURS. I have a hard time riding in a CAR for five hours. When I am sitting. FIVE. HOURS. oh. my. god. Congratulations!

151. hannah on May 3rd, 2010 7:29 am

Congratulations!!!

152. bouncy on May 3rd, 2010 7:31 am

This made me cry like a moron.

Congratulations!

153. Nichole on May 3rd, 2010 7:33 am

I’m crying, too!! Congratulations. You are awesome.

154. Christy on May 3rd, 2010 7:42 am

Tears here as well. What an amazing story. I’m so happy for you!!!! Wow. Well done.

155. Christina on May 3rd, 2010 7:42 am

You are such an inspiration! Congratulations, I am in absolute awe of your commitment.

156. Life of a Doctor's Wife on May 3rd, 2010 7:43 am

Congratulations!!! What an accomplishment!

157. Chataine on May 3rd, 2010 7:44 am

Wow, I am totally tearing up. SO AWESOME! You have inspired me to renew my commitment to running a (lousy) 10K. CONGRATS!!

158. MelanieL on May 3rd, 2010 7:46 am

I am glad I am home this morning and not at work since I am crying like a baby! Congratulations!

159. Corrie on May 3rd, 2010 7:46 am

Congratulations! Amazing! You are an inspiration, Linda. I think of you now when the going gets tough. Huzzah!

160. lisa-marie on May 3rd, 2010 7:52 am

Wow! Congratulations! You are amazing and a great inspiration to us all!

161. Kate on May 3rd, 2010 7:53 am

Congratulations!!! YOU DID IT!!!

(I wonder what challenge you’ll take on next.)

162. Jessi on May 3rd, 2010 7:54 am

Done…and on to the next one :) You are an amazing person. Congratulations on an amazing accomplishment!

163. Melissa on May 3rd, 2010 7:58 am

You. Are a rock star. This post made me all teary.

Congratulations!

164. Pamela on May 3rd, 2010 7:58 am

Delurking to say congrats. This post made me cry.

165. Lily on May 3rd, 2010 7:59 am

You are a goddess!!! Rest up :)

166. Vicki on May 3rd, 2010 8:04 am

Congratulations!! You are an inspiration, more then you know.

167. Faith on May 3rd, 2010 8:06 am

The way you saw this as a possible goal and embraced it even though it was a sometimes horrifying thought is inspiring to even me, someone who doesn’t know you at all beyond what you’ve posted here.

So I can’t even imagine what kind of inspiration you are and will always be to your kids, who will remember this day – and I’m sure many more days in the future – when you took on a seemingly insurmountable challenge and whooped its ass.

For that, I congratulate you. You are the kind of mom I want to be.

168. dorrie on May 3rd, 2010 8:09 am

I was running Bloomsday yesterday totally sending you vibes. Great job!

169. Pinkie Bling on May 3rd, 2010 8:12 am

I am so, so happy and proud for you!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!

170. Kate on May 3rd, 2010 8:28 am

I’m losing my shit just reading this! So amazing! Congratulations. I feel like I say this on all of your fitness posts, but seriously, you are such an inspiration.

171. HalynB on May 3rd, 2010 8:32 am

I already said it on Twitter, but WOW…So Amazing! I love how your family was in this with you.

Also, I can’t believe how great you look in that post race photo. I would be such a hot freakin mess, and you just look all glowy and beautiful…how do you do that?

172. Janet on May 3rd, 2010 8:32 am

You are AWESOME and such a rock star! And you are making me cry:)

173. Vicki on May 3rd, 2010 8:36 am

De-lurking to say: Simply AWESOME.

On so many levels.

174. Jen on May 3rd, 2010 8:36 am

You rock; I got teary just reading this. Of course I’m pregnant, but you know. You rock

175. Kellie on May 3rd, 2010 8:39 am

Sitting here freaking crying. YOU did it. You DID it. You did IT.

176. Lucy Fisher on May 3rd, 2010 8:39 am

Yep.
    I’m blubbering, and you effing rock.
    That is all.

177. Anna on May 3rd, 2010 8:39 am

I’m sitting here with the hugest grin on my face for you, because holy shit, that must’ve been the awesomest feeling crossing that finish line.

And those photos of the boys cheering you on made my heart thump a little harder.

Linda, you are some awesome. Really and truly. I hauled my ass off the couch last year because of you and lost 30lbs. And, even though I’m back on the couch now with ice cream and a baby in my belly, I read this and can’t wait to get off it again.

Congratulations!

178. metalia on May 3rd, 2010 8:40 am

I don’t throw the word “inspiration” aroud very often, but my god. You are one. Many, many congratulations to you on this incredible accomplishment. (Those pictures are making me all teary-eyed, too.)

179. shizzknits on May 3rd, 2010 8:41 am

Congrats!!!! What an amazing thing to do…you rock!

180. metalia on May 3rd, 2010 8:42 am

“AROUND,” that is. D’oh. (See? I told you. Teary-eyed!)

181. paige on May 3rd, 2010 8:44 am

yeah. I just cried all the way through that post, too. rock on, linda. job well done.

182. sweetsalty kate on May 3rd, 2010 8:48 am

Holy shit. Beyond impressed!

183. Ashley, the Accidental Olympian on May 3rd, 2010 8:49 am

So many congratulations!

And damn it, I’m crying.

184. Maggie on May 3rd, 2010 8:50 am

I just cried through that entire post. The picture of you running to your boys? HOLY CRYING FIT. If that makes me, a random blog stalker feel the way I did, I can’t even imagine how you felt.

A super, huge congrats to you :)

185. Julie Brada on May 3rd, 2010 8:54 am

OMG, you are AWESOME. Such an inspriation!

186. Jen @ lifelove'n'wine on May 3rd, 2010 9:09 am

You are so freaking awesome! I literally teared up reading this post…I’m so proud of you and so glad that you had such a loving, supportive family there with you!

187. Kimberly on May 3rd, 2010 9:10 am

Amazing! Congrats, you big marathon completer, you!

188. Laura on May 3rd, 2010 9:14 am

Congratulations!!

189. M.A. on May 3rd, 2010 9:18 am

I cried, too, Maggie. Usually I cry over one of the kids — now it’s for their Mom. FELICITATIONS, Linda! P.S. You LOOK fantastic. No joke. And P.P.S. I *really* adore your husband. JB, you rock too.

190. Annabelle on May 3rd, 2010 9:18 am

Marathons are simulatenously the best/worst experinece. That is exactly it. I knew you could do it (even though we’ve never met…), and now you know it too. Revel in it for awhile before you decide ‘what’s next.’

191. Jamie on May 3rd, 2010 9:18 am

You. Fucking. Rock.

192. Jen on May 3rd, 2010 9:26 am

I had tears streaming down my face reading this. Everything about you is beautiful! XO

193. victoria on May 3rd, 2010 9:30 am

Well, so much for my mascara. Congratulations, Linda!

194. twojams (Shannon) on May 3rd, 2010 9:36 am

So fantastic. Congratulations!

195. Nicole on May 3rd, 2010 9:45 am

This made me cry. You are an inspiration! We all knew you could do it. Hooray for you and your beautiful family.

196. jane on May 3rd, 2010 9:49 am

congratulations! this is a beautiful post, totally made me tear up and am feeling inspired to try something new today.

197. Nicole on May 3rd, 2010 9:58 am

Awesome. Congratulations!!

198. Jennifer on May 3rd, 2010 10:03 am

I’m crying at my desk. I feel very proud of you, and also very inspired. Congratulations!

199. telegirl on May 3rd, 2010 10:04 am

Holy crap! You did it!! Congratulations, I got teary-eyed reading about your family support… that was amazing. You are very lucky.

200. Lori O on May 3rd, 2010 10:06 am

Awesome, just awesome! I loved reading this – brought back the same feelings from my first (and only) marathon experience 3 years ago. I didn’t have kids yet, so I can only imagine how much better it would be to see your kids cheering you on!

201. Maria on May 3rd, 2010 10:25 am

I was thinking of you all day yesterday and was so proud of you when I saw your tweet. It sounds crazy to say it because you barely know me at all, but there you have it. Your story is made even more amazing by the fact that you have such a strong husband and family support system behind you. And even more sweet by the fact that you don’t need us to tell you that you are a very lucky woman. Congratulations!

202. Amy on May 3rd, 2010 10:34 am

You are awesomeness embodied! Well done mama!

203. maggie on May 3rd, 2010 10:36 am

I laughed and cried reading this! Awesome job!Congrats and when’s the next one?

204. Dawn on May 3rd, 2010 10:43 am

I’ve said it to you all over the internet, and will keep saying it…you are fucking awesome, and I am so, so proud of you. The thought of you seeing your cheering section, especially JB and the boys brought tears to my eyes; and that JB ran the end with you is wonderful. Also, I love, love, love that you gave Dylan finger guns as you ran off.

205. Jenny on May 3rd, 2010 10:47 am

I was about to say I couldn’t believe it, but everything you’ve been doing for the past few years supports it. Of course I can believe it. You are made of this. Challenge and success, over and over again. I never, ever say this to people I don’t even know, but you’ve inspired me to think even I could do some tiny fraction of this. Astonishing. Amazing.

206. Kristen on May 3rd, 2010 10:52 am

Holy shit, you did it! Congratulations! I’m over here crying about the boys screaming “Mommy!” (so cute) and you should know that so many strangers are so proud of you! You are an inspiration to all of us.

207. Christine on May 3rd, 2010 11:03 am

Oh well done, a million times. I’ve only ever been on the other side of that “supporting the parent in their marathon” meeting, and it’s a great feeling to have been able to help in some little (or big) way by just getting the kids to the right place at the right time.

But the million-dollar question is, are you hooked? Are you going to do another?

208. Amanda Blair on May 3rd, 2010 11:04 am

Congrats. You are now a super hero in my eyes and I’m sure your kids eyes as well. Bravo!

209. JesC on May 3rd, 2010 11:09 am

Congratulations! Count me among the teary eyed – so inspirational!

210. MRW on May 3rd, 2010 11:10 am

Awesome! Congrats. Five hours sounds incredible to me! I probably couldn’t run 26.2 miles in under five days.

211. Jen on May 3rd, 2010 11:12 am

You are a ROCKSTAR! This was so awesome to read. Congratulations!!

212. jen on May 3rd, 2010 11:12 am

You rock…congratulations!

213. Carrie (in MN) on May 3rd, 2010 11:13 am

You are the Awesome! This stranger is so so proud of you!!! Congratulations!

214. Joanne on May 3rd, 2010 11:15 am

Oh, are you kidding? I am crying too, wth? You look too good to have run all that mileage. Congratulations. Your boys must be so, so proud of you.

215. Jen - Mom of 4 on May 3rd, 2010 11:19 am

I’m crying just reading about it! Congrats Wonder Woman! You Did It!

216. Barb on May 3rd, 2010 11:20 am

OMG–YOU STILL ROCK!!!

217. Melissa on May 3rd, 2010 11:31 am

Totally crying over here. Especially reading the parts about the boys and JB. Great job and you should be very proud of your hard work!

218. Rachel on May 3rd, 2010 11:31 am

You did it!!!!

I have never felt more proud of a person I have never met. Woo hoo!

219. Erika Peterson on May 3rd, 2010 11:45 am

You definitely DON’T look like you just ran 26.2 miles. You look great! Congrats! So, have you decided – will you ever run another marathon?!

220. sal on May 3rd, 2010 11:52 am

Oh my god! Tears over here. Congratulations, Linda!

221. lisa on May 3rd, 2010 11:54 am

Treat yourself to something fantastic for just completing such a HUGE accomplishment. So so proud of you!!! I cant even fathom doing such a thing. You are an inspiration!

222. Nicole on May 3rd, 2010 11:58 am

Wow… Just, WOW! What an amazing thing to do for yourself and what a powerful example to set for your boys. Now whenever you are confronted with, “Mommy, I can’t do it, it’s too hard…” Your response will be, “Hard??? I’ll tell you what’s hard…” Congratulations!!!

223. Marci on May 3rd, 2010 11:58 am

I welled up when you talked about seeing your boys. : )

Congrats!!

224. JudithinNYC on May 3rd, 2010 12:10 pm

Congratulations, Linda. You are an inspiration.

225. Lawyerish on May 3rd, 2010 12:18 pm

Phenomenal. You’re a total hero, and I love how JB and the boys came out to support you throughout the race.

Now go shove every kind of junk food you can get your hands on into your mouth — you’ve more than earned it!!

226. Anna A on May 3rd, 2010 12:26 pm

Wow! Fantastic job and completely kick ass writing! Pretty fine way to start the week :-)

227. Bachelor Girl on May 3rd, 2010 12:34 pm

So…

I may or may not have cried a little bit while reading this, but I neither confirm nor deny.

YOU ROCK SO FUCKING HARD, LADY! Congrats!

228. oregoncoastgirl on May 3rd, 2010 12:38 pm

HUZZAH! Great job!

229. Meli on May 3rd, 2010 12:41 pm

Wow Linda. Congratulations! This post made me cry. And I don’t even *KNOW YOU* know you.

How wonderful for you. GREAT GREAT JOB!

230. Dyane on May 3rd, 2010 12:51 pm

Way to go, Linda, you rock!

231. Molly on May 3rd, 2010 12:53 pm

Awesome job, awesome post.
    Who would think a post about running 26(!) miles would leave me teary?

232. duodecad on May 3rd, 2010 1:02 pm

This post made me cry, too.

You are BEYOND AWESOME. It’s very strange to feel so proud of someone I don’t even know IRL :)

233. Molly on May 3rd, 2010 1:05 pm

Totally tearing up in the airport. Felicidades! Well done girl!!!

234. Liz on May 3rd, 2010 1:22 pm

I hope you frame the pic of you at the finish (either with or without JB). That smile on your face! So beautiful!

Now go eat.

235. Blabbermouse on May 3rd, 2010 1:30 pm

So glad I wasn’t the only one who went all Cryer McCryerson at this post. You GO! Not that I had any doubt you would go … and go and go and go for 26.2 miles. Because you’re awesome. An inspiration. And a kick ass writer to boot.

Congratulations x 10!

P.S. Would love to get a physical report of how the bones and muscles are feeling in the aftermath. I’ve hesitated to do the full marathon, afraid I’ll do permanent damage to the hips and knees and have to give up running, which I love. Do you think you’ll do it again? Or are you on to the next challenge?

236. Blabbermouse on May 3rd, 2010 1:31 pm

Sorry … I don’t actually want a PHYSICAL report. (Like printed out in triplicate and shit). I want a report of how you’re feeling physically.

:)Just to clarify.

237. lindsayc on May 3rd, 2010 1:42 pm

How awesome. And I cried too. Congratulations!

238. AndrewENZ on May 3rd, 2010 1:49 pm

• This is one of the best experiences of my entire life
    • This is the worst experience of my entire life

I SO get this! Congratulations.

239. Brooke on May 3rd, 2010 1:54 pm

Holy crap! I normally don’t comment much, I do most of my reading at work (SHHH). But this, this brought tears to my eyes! I don’t even know you, but I’m proud of you. I’ve read while you’ve ran, and ran, and ran some more, and you’ve reached your goal. So awesome, and inspiring. And at the risk of even more crazy-fan gushiness… GO LINDA!!!

240. Maxine Dangerous on May 3rd, 2010 2:02 pm

It may have already been said, but (pardon the screaming) YOU RAN FOR FIVE F*CKING HOURS. NEVER DOWNPLAY THAT FACT. :)Congrats! I thought of you on Saturday (race day?) when I was cracked out anew on Snow Patrol’s “Just Say Yes.” That would’ve gotten me through a long-ass run. If I ran. Which I don’t. :D

241. Meggish on May 3rd, 2010 2:10 pm

Rock star! Rock star! Linda FTW!

(On a related note: OMG the Chariots of Fire music video is hilarious! Dude plays ONE NOTE and then takes a long drag on his cigarette, then just sits there. Priceless! Thank you for causing me to look that up.)

242. Amy M. on May 3rd, 2010 2:16 pm

Congrats! What an accomplishment! And it’s great that all of your “boys” were there when you needed them most! :)

243. Rebecca (Bearca) on May 3rd, 2010 2:30 pm

You are amazing! Way to go, Linda!

244. Christina on May 3rd, 2010 2:48 pm

I am seriosly bawling while reading this.
    You DID IT!
    I am so inspired by you.

245. Shannon on May 3rd, 2010 3:06 pm

Hooray mama – congrats! I got all worried about you when a friend of ours had to quit about 3/4 through the local marathon on Saturday because the heat index was above 100 degrees here! Hooray again!

246. Marisa on May 3rd, 2010 3:10 pm

Congratulations! Welcome to the marathon runner club :) You look freaking fantastic in your pictures – you are so amazing and I love reading about the hard work that you do.

247. Donna on May 3rd, 2010 3:14 pm

Do you realize that you have made more people cry than Titanic?
    We are all so proud of you. 2 hundred and some comments proud. You should print all these, and if you ever wonder what you are doing with your life, read thru them.
    Awesome….!!!

248. Meggan on May 3rd, 2010 3:17 pm

Go print out these comments. Cut them into strips and put them in a jar. Next time you need a little shout out…you have 250 people whose lives you have touched and who think you are great (and we don’t even live with you!)

249. Amy on May 3rd, 2010 3:49 pm

You are freaking amazing, woman! I can’t even get over the part when your kids were cheering you on. Honestly? I LOATHE running with a burning fire within, but you made me want to go sign up for a goddamned marathon right this instant. That’s how awesome this post was.

250. amanda on May 3rd, 2010 4:26 pm

You rock girl. You are completely inspirational to this mom of one who REALLY needs to get her ass off the couch. No excuses.

251. April G. on May 3rd, 2010 4:53 pm

Oh! The one with Riley is making me cry! You are amazing, Linda! Congratulations!

You are literally awesome, and so inspiring. Reading you has made me decide to start running again. I got the couch to 5k podcasts, found a good road near my house (I live on a state highway in a rural area, it has no shoulder at all), and now I just have to get new batteries for my watch. If you can train for that with a full-time job, class, and two kids, I can definitely do it with my super flexible grad student schedule!

252. Cara on May 3rd, 2010 5:19 pm

You finished. Who gives two cents about the time. You FINISHED. You ROCK.

253. kim on May 3rd, 2010 5:29 pm

Wow – I am so impressed. This made me tear up.

254. Kami on May 3rd, 2010 5:29 pm

That’s just fucking crazy. Cool, but crazy. JB is a really good guy. And you look amazing.

255. Kim on May 3rd, 2010 6:02 pm

You’re a rock star! I’ve been keeping up with your Twitter feed as you trained… Although I am only at the point of a 5k, you make me believe more is possible. Congratulations on our achievement! *fistbump*

256. Kim on May 3rd, 2010 6:04 pm

That would be “your achievement” not “our achievement” as above. Damn iPhone!

257. Lynnann on May 3rd, 2010 6:14 pm

Loved the whole process. You go girl! Keep up the good work, and it was work, but no one can take that away from you. What an accomplishment! You will look back on this eveny for the rest of your life and feel so proud!

258. Rachel on May 3rd, 2010 6:32 pm

You are AWESOME!

259. Sarah on May 3rd, 2010 6:33 pm

um – you fucking rock!!!! I’ll be channeling you in a few weeks when I run my measly half marathon! Although I will be crossing the finish line with the glee version of Like a Prayer blasting in my ears!

260. Erin on May 3rd, 2010 6:49 pm

Awesome! So impressed!!!

261. MotherGooseAmy on May 3rd, 2010 6:59 pm

Amazing, Amazing, Amazing!!! Congrats!!!! Loved reading about it. Thanks, as always, for sharing!

262. erin on May 3rd, 2010 7:09 pm

You are a MARATHONER. And nothing will ever change that.

263. Emma on May 3rd, 2010 7:23 pm

The part where you saw your kids? Just about killed me. Crying at my desk. Love this. Congrats to you. Well done. Well done.

264. Andrea on May 3rd, 2010 7:33 pm

1. You made me tear up just now. I NEVER tear up reading blogs. This has happened maybe three times before.

2. You have inspired me in so many ways, and for that I want to say, “Thank you.”

3. Congratulations! \m/

265. robyn on May 3rd, 2010 7:52 pm

I was cheering you on from Colorado!

The pushing through the awful, painful, part – the not giving up – that’s what you’ll remember and be proud of forever. ForEVER! You EARNED that!

So happy for you. :)

266. Victoria on May 3rd, 2010 8:15 pm

I am so, so proud of you and am also totally bawling right now.
    Thanks for sharing this.
    You’re awesome

267. the wino on May 3rd, 2010 8:25 pm

Am in tears.

You kicked its mothergrubbing ass.

*fistpump*

268. Karen on May 3rd, 2010 8:42 pm

De-lurking to say CONGRATS! Way to go!

Thanks for sharing – you really are an inspiration.

269. Erin on May 3rd, 2010 9:31 pm

Go you! Congratulations!

270. Jane on May 3rd, 2010 9:46 pm

I have tears in my eyes that’s awesome and your family is awesome !! AND the next 5k or 2k or blahblahK that I do I AM getting a shirt with my name on it … ‘ Run Jane Run”!! You’re an inspiration… and so is JB!

271. Carol on May 3rd, 2010 10:26 pm

And I’m thrilled to have run less than a mile a full year and something after breaking my ankle…Carol

272. Jen on May 4th, 2010 4:44 am

YOU DID IT! Way to go, lady. So proud!!!

273. Shana on May 4th, 2010 6:13 am

Amazing. Truly. I cannot even imagine the pride you must feel! Congratulations!!! Oh, and you have officially inspired me to try for a half marathon next year. I thought I was only good enough for a tri (last year) or maybe a 10k – but now – i’m aiming bigger. thank you.

274. Stephanie on May 4th, 2010 6:50 am

You so rock. Congrats!

275. Saranlap on May 4th, 2010 6:54 am

Good for you! Congratulations! I know exactly what you mean when you say it is simultaneously the worst and best thing ever. Rest on those laurels!

276. Barbara on May 4th, 2010 7:10 am

Congrats! you look awesome at the end…amazing!

277. Tina G on May 4th, 2010 7:47 am

I am all verklampt here! You are amazing! And now I am getting up off my ass and on to the Nordic Track like I should have done already. Awesome : )))))

278. kristen on May 4th, 2010 8:14 am

Wow! Crying here…I completely know the love you feel for your family. How wonderful that they were able to help you through to the end. Congratulations lady!

279. Mel on May 4th, 2010 8:22 am

Congrats – that’s so awesome!!!

You should check out this new site –

I live in Pittsburgh and a Mom here started it, I’m new to this running thing but I’ve been loving the advice on this site for new and old runners alike!!

280. Lola on May 4th, 2010 8:56 am

Ok, why am I sitting here at work CRYING because YOU just did this??? Maybe its because I still remember that first post when you were talking to that nice couple on the plane in NOLA and doing that little crazy motion with your finger? Maybe its because I remember when you first were so excited about TurboJam or HipHop Abs (remember that?)? (which by the way, you totally inspired me to START doing something and I bought all those videos and have lost almost 50 pounds since then).

I don’t know. I don’t know what it is. But I am so freakin proud of YOU. Go LINDA.

281. Lucy on May 4th, 2010 9:22 am

Glad I’m not the only one with tears in my eyes. So happy for you!

282. Stacie on May 4th, 2010 9:47 am

Fan-fucking-tastic. Hooray, Linda!!!

283. beekeebear on May 4th, 2010 10:32 am

YAY! Congratulations! And what a wonderful post. You got me a little misty-eyed and goofy-smiley. :)

284. Diane on May 4th, 2010 10:34 am

You are so very, very amazing. There is really nothing left to say. I’m in tears and I am so proud of you..btw Happy Mother’s Day and what a gift to your family and to yourself.

285. telegirl on May 4th, 2010 10:44 am

OK. I keep looking at how amazing you look. I want to look that good. I think I am actually going to go for a run on my lunch. For the first time in 2 years!

286. Sonia on May 4th, 2010 10:52 am

So. Effing. RAD!!! I had goosebumps reading this! CONGRATS!!!!

287. L on May 4th, 2010 12:10 pm

Go Linda, go Linda, go LINDA!

288. Emily on May 4th, 2010 12:32 pm

Congratulations! You are very much an inspiration to me, everything you have been doing yourself, combined with raising a family, is truly how I would like to one day be!

289. Gina on May 4th, 2010 12:39 pm

Two words: Rock! Star!

290. Ali on May 4th, 2010 5:01 pm

I came across a link to this post via Christina (mytopography) on Twitter and totally cried as I read it – what an awesome, freakin awesome, accomplishment. I live in Eugene and spent some time at about the 20 mile mark (right where there was a little hill you had to run up before crossing a bridge) on my bike in the early morning cheering on some of the runners. It was so, so inspiring just to be out there watching. I can only imagine what it must have been like to run into Hayward for the finish. Way to go.

291. Jenn on May 4th, 2010 5:15 pm

Aaahhh you did it! I don’t even know you and I’m SO proud of you. I’d like to hereby place my bet that this won’t be your last one :) Congratulations, MARATHONER!

292. julia on May 4th, 2010 5:17 pm

Hi, tears in my eyes reading this. You are awesome. Congratulations.

293. catherine on May 4th, 2010 5:36 pm

You inspire me. Started couch to 5K tonight.

294. Cass on May 4th, 2010 5:48 pm

Am officially a crybaby. And completely inspired to follow suit. Thanks and big congrats!

295. willikat on May 4th, 2010 6:09 pm

YOU DID IT!!!!!! I even hiccupy sobbed at my desk reading this today. I am so proud of you! Congratulations! We knew you could do it.

296. Lana on May 4th, 2010 6:25 pm

I’m crying too! What a fabulous experience! Super proud of you and everything you’ve accomplished.

297. Kristal on May 4th, 2010 7:11 pm

I cannot even imagine what it must have felt like to cross that finish line. What a HUGE acomplishment! CONGRATS to you. Wow!!!!

298. Sara on May 4th, 2010 7:18 pm

Linda,

amazing, congrats.

You’ve inspired me so much. I decided to follow in your footsteps last august, I started walking every day. At 230lbs I could not run. Today I weigh 172lbs and I ran for the first time. For 9 minutes. Which isn’t huge but to me it is.

Thanks, for making me think I can do it too. I have a long way to go, but I’ve come a long way.

I’m proud of you. Thankful for you.

299. Missy on May 4th, 2010 8:07 pm

I’ve gone back and read this like 5 times over the last couple days and I keep choking up every time. So awesome, Linda. :-)

300. Meagan on May 4th, 2010 8:40 pm

Ok, no, “finisher” is not the same as “participant.” You FINISHED A MARATHON and you rock! Congrats! And fwiw, my husband and I both finished ours in over 5 hrs, so you beat us. :)

301. jodie on May 5th, 2010 6:27 am

I have nothing witty to say, just “awesome”. Congratulations, I can’t imagine what a high this must be for you!

302. Kelli on May 5th, 2010 8:31 am

GO YOU!

Super proud and thrilled for you!

303. Sarah on May 5th, 2010 8:54 am

That’s f-ing awesome, Linda! Congratulations! You are an incredible woman in so many ways and such an inspiration – thank you for sharing your life with us.

304. Becky Mochaface on May 5th, 2010 9:03 am

Congratulations! I’m so proud for you! That is such an amazing accomplishment. And you, yes you, did it. That’s incredible.

305. Jessamyn on May 5th, 2010 11:45 am

I just want to say that you are awesome and inspiring, and you’ve moved me all to tears. You rock! Yay, Linda!

306. Shan on May 5th, 2010 1:53 pm

*CHILLS* Congratulations!!!!

307. Susie on May 5th, 2010 5:44 pm

Congratulations! I’m a long time lurker, and way back when you were first getting into running, I thought to myself “That woman is going to run a marathon.” And you did.

I don’t even know you and I’m proud of you. I can only imagine how your family feels.

308. Mom101 on May 5th, 2010 6:37 pm

Hey now, you’re a rock star. Go Linda.

(And get away from me with those toned skinny arms of yours. I mean it.)

309. MommyNamedApril on May 6th, 2010 5:22 am

i’m quite sure i couldn’t do this in 24 hours, so five? brilliant.

310. Heather on May 6th, 2010 5:51 am

I found your site because of the link someone posted to our new site for running moms (www.irunlikeamother.com) Your story has me in tears. I know it’s NOTHING comparable, but I felt much the same way you did after running my first half marathon this weekend. The best and the worst time of my life.
    I’m in awe of anyone that can run a full marathon and I absolutely loved reading your story (and your boys are SO adorble! They look about the same age as my boys so I could really relate to your emotions when seeing them cheering for you)

Your new faithful reader :)
    Heather

311. lisa on May 6th, 2010 5:57 am

Amazing, and wow. I cannot imagine running for five hours straight. Just can’t. You have lots to be proud of!

312. rachel pomeroy on May 6th, 2010 9:32 am

Soo wonderful. Nothing like finishing — it’s just the best feeling in the whole world, following the worst.
    On my first one I had bathroom problems as well. Prolly some sort of weird electrolyte imbalance, I’m told. One time it happened during a training run, and it’s famous in our house for my husband to recount the shame with which I approached the back door afterwards. He laugh’s mockingly as he mimic’s me… “Just get me the hose, and don’t look at me. Go away!!”

313. radioactive tori on May 6th, 2010 1:31 pm

First of all congratulations! I am doing my first half marathon next month and seeing this was inspiring. Hopefully next year I will do a full marathon and it was so awesome to read about yours!

Second of all, where did you get your race belt? What brand is it? I have been looking for a good one and haven’t found one that looks as comfy as yours does.

314. joanneb on May 6th, 2010 3:39 pm

Can I just say that this is fucking awesome? I am training for a marathon now and this just made me teary-eyed. Way to go, Linda, you rockstar, you.

315. Annie on May 6th, 2010 8:16 pm

Aw that made my cry a little. Great job!

316. Frema on May 7th, 2010 8:49 am

I’ve read this entry twice this week and have almost teared up both times. I am so happy for you that you were able to accomplish this goal. I am competing in my first half marathon tomorrow, and you have definitely been inspiring to me. Thank you for sharing this journey with us!

317. caradawn on May 7th, 2010 11:51 am

You made me cry. Seriously, I’m all sniffly and I never get like that. Except, apparently, when I read about YOU finishing your first marathon. *sniff* I’m so, like, proud of you (and I don’t even *know* you) and, uh, totally thinking I might get back to my own marathon training schedule that’s been on hold since last year.

318. Kris on May 9th, 2010 1:17 pm

This made me cry, too; because, Jesus, woman, I am so proud of you. The feeling of accomplishment, and your boys! cheering you on, and everything else.

It just. Wow. I can’t even come up with the words. My heart literally swells with pride for you.

319. justmouse on May 9th, 2010 5:57 pm

wow…you are FUCKING AWESOME! and…godammit…i have something in my eye! *sniff* :D

320. Kate on May 10th, 2010 12:58 am