1) Thank you, thank you, thank you for the kind words you’ve sent my way. And a special teary thank you to Eliza, whose email on October 21 last fall sent me on a path to finishing a marathon. Thank you.

2) It is the damnedest thing, but everything that was so horrible about the race has already downgraded in my brain from Vividly Awful Experience I Never Want to Repeat to Amusing Self-Deprecating War Story. I mean, at mile 24 I told everyone within earshot that I was never doing a marathon again, ever. And I absolutely meant it. Yet less than 24 hours later I started thinking how it was almost funny how destroyed I was at the end—ha ha, remember when I was half-dead and was *thisclose* to shitting my pants?—and all the bad moments now seem small in comparison to the good. Which is NOT how it felt at the time, so what the hell?

Anyway, totally thinking about the Portland marathon in October.

3) We got home yesterday and I’ve got about twenty-seven loads of laundry to do, the house is a mess, I’m far enough behind in class I can’t make heads or tails of the study guide the teacher sent out (“Krebs cycle”? “Mitochondria”? “Oxaloacetate”?), I need to catch up on work email, and the fridge is somehow both empty and smelly. I’m glad to be back, but our meandering trip in Oregon—outside of cell service, where the traffic consisted of wild turkeys scuttling across the road—made me wish we could slow our lives down a little. Maybe a lot.

4581157099_a83eaf22ac

4580716306_e9a8d55da4

4580716640_dd56eb4e9d

4) JB and I were married nine years ago today. Nine years! My god, I love that sumbitch.

428615592_2b82255235

Comments

81 Responses to “Four, briefly”

1. Eliza on May 5th, 2010 2:55 pm

A big fat hearty “you’re welcome” and “I KNEW YOU COULD DO IT.” Sending lots of love & pride your way.

2. wordygirl on May 5th, 2010 3:33 pm

Congratulations on your anniversary! A lovely milestone. :-)

3. lisa-marie on May 5th, 2010 3:37 pm

Congrats on your anniversary!

4. Jamie on May 5th, 2010 3:37 pm

Happy anniversary! If you do the Portland marathon, I’d totally be there cheering you on!

5. Victoria on May 5th, 2010 4:05 pm

Happy Anniversary :)

6. sarah on May 5th, 2010 4:56 pm

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary!

7. Susie on May 5th, 2010 5:48 pm

Happy anniversary!

8. SJ on May 5th, 2010 8:52 pm

Happy Anniversary to you and JB. And another marathon? I say DO IT!

9. Nikki on May 5th, 2010 9:05 pm

So you’re telling me that running a marathon and the body/ minds ability to make it seem
    less painful/horrific to endure… Is like birth?! Lol. I told my little girl and everyone else in the labor room with me that I would NOT be giving her biological siblings!! She’s 11 months now and I’m starting to convince myself that I may actually choose iveyive birth again… Maybe! Although I think I just puked a little in my mouth…
    Congrats to you on reaching your running goal and your 9 year amniversary!

10. jill on May 5th, 2010 9:16 pm

I did the Portland Marathon (walked it-and yes, that does take ALL damn day) and there was something about live music at every turn that kept me going…..Very fun

11. Christine on May 5th, 2010 9:18 pm

Another marathon? Oh Linda, first thing I thought, and I thought it with nothing but awe and respect, but, “B!tch crazy.” You’re an inspiration really. Now if only I would get off my rear end and start hitting the pavement. And lo, I need to.

Congratulations again on the marathon! And on nine years. Holy cow. JB looks like an infant. What is he? like 14 there? Crazy.

12. Carmen on May 5th, 2010 9:40 pm

Congratulations on the marathon – that is an enormous accomplishment that you can be totally proud of. Before I messed up my knees, I was running 4-5 miles several times a week and I can say it NEVER occurred to me to attempt training for longer distances. You are one amazing lady!

Also, congratulations on the wedding anniversary. It seems from reading your blog for many many years that it’s been a great 9 years!

13. Sara on May 5th, 2010 9:59 pm

What a difference between the last picture in this post and the first picture in the last one! You’re a beautiful bride and you two look so giddy-happy, but there is something about that picture after the marathon, both of you, your smiles and the excitement in your eyes. It’s… well, it’s neat is all I can say.

Congrats to you!

14. Frank on May 6th, 2010 4:13 am

JB looks like a high school kid in the wedding picture. Who knew you robbed the cradle? :-)

15. Becky on May 6th, 2010 4:56 am

Congratulations! You are such a great couple and beautiful family!

16. Amy on May 6th, 2010 5:20 am

Happy Anniversary!!

17. Diane on May 6th, 2010 5:25 am

You two were meant to be together, loving, laughing and experiencing life to the fullest. The added blessing is the two wonderful sons you have created.Congratulations!!

18. SeriousMom on May 6th, 2010 5:28 am

Happy anniversary! I hear the first 9 years are the hardest.

19. Sara on May 6th, 2010 6:43 am

Happy anniversary! Also watch out for those turkeys…little bastards will attack!

20. Meli on May 6th, 2010 7:00 am

Happy Anniversary!

21. Kim Hartman on May 6th, 2010 7:31 am

Congratulations, on all of it! Keep up the great work running.

22. Amy M. on May 6th, 2010 8:50 am

Congrats on 9 years of marriage to a great catch & your marathon finish. Both are fantastic accomplishments! Have a wonderful day!

23. Annie on May 6th, 2010 10:40 am

05/05/01 ? We did 08/08/01 so the date would be easy for DH to remember!

That being said, I have a girl crush on you…congrats on your physical fitness, and crazy marathon running. You are inspriring me to get off the couch and become “fit before 50”.

24. Joy on May 6th, 2010 10:46 am

Congrats! You have simply not aged one bit since your wedding picture!

25. Shawna on May 6th, 2010 11:25 am

Happy anniversary! I love that your wedding pic is right over your post-marathon pic which includes both of you.

You both look like leaner, fitter versions of your wedding-day selves, but while you have maintained a high level of hotness all along, please permit me to observe that JB has ratcheted up from sweet boy to mraow! I am happily settled with my own hottie, but I’m just sayin’, I can still appreciate from a distance…

26. Mona on May 6th, 2010 11:45 am

I am so happy for you! I wish I could run a marathon, but that will never happen. I don’t think I could stand the training, and my knee is super bad. Glad your back home and I hope the mountain of laundry doesn’t make you work on Mother’s Day.

Oh, and happy anniversary!

27. bobbi on May 6th, 2010 11:54 am

Krebs cycle is a bitch, this helped me a lot: http://www.johnkyrk.com/krebs.html

28. Andrea on May 6th, 2010 12:38 pm

Congrats on finishing a marathon – holy crap.

And can I just ask how the hell you don’t get blisters? I can’t walk over 2 miles without getting some sort of tenderness on the back of my damn ankles.

29. April G. on May 6th, 2010 6:38 pm

Happy anniversary!

All I remember from my Gen Ed biology class is The Mighty Mitochondria: the cell’s powerhouse. Maybe that will help. :)

30. Jennifer on May 7th, 2010 11:55 pm

I nodded in recognition of your section (2) description of post-race thoughts over time. I remember someone saying once (of triathlons when I was doing a lot of them): when you’re in the middle of the race, you’re saying “never again,” but as soon as you cross the finish line you’re saying “when’s the next one?” That was so, so true and I think that happened to me during every single race! And I kept signing up for another one, every time.

But I want you to get back on your bike and start training for a century ride, dammit! :)

31. D on May 11th, 2010 11:28 am

Congrats! You both look even better today!!!