I have questions. Hopefully, you have answers. Let’s go.

1) I was a big fan of Bare Minerals makeup for years, until recently when I noticed the powder had started . . . settling, sort of, into my newly-acquired wrinkly areas. Plus, it was making me very shiny, and not in the Firefly use of the word. I switched to Laura Mercier’s “oil free flawless face kit”, and I’m sorry to report the results were neither oil free nor flawless. Worse, the rosacea that I haven’t seen since I stopped drinking over five years ago is creeping back, which, what the fuck? So I need a good makeup recommendation for 30-something, oily, rosacea-prone skin, please. Bonus if it doesn’t cost a trillion dollars.

2) I loved The Hunger Games/Catching Fire and I liked The Forest of Hands and Teeth, so what else should I be reading in the world of dystopian YA fiction?

3) This week I have to give a presentation as part of my final nutrition class project. Here are some things I’d rather do than give a presentation: hammer a rusty nail through my foot. Kiss Spencer Pratt on the mouth. Listen to forty straight hours of Bob Dylan. EAT A LIVE SPIDER. Do you have any public speaking tips that will prevent uncontrolled terrified urination on my part? Like picturing your audience naked, except, you know, something that actually works?

4) Have any of you ever dealt with a kid who won’t accept help when he hurts himself? When Riley scrapes his knee or whatever, he often loses his shit and howls “NOOOO!” over and over, refusing to let us even approach him. It’s like he just goes into a panic. It’s one thing when that happens at home, but if it happens while we’re out—like if he crashes and burns in a store while doing his patented Look Back Over One Shoulder While Running Full Speed Ahead maneuver—I feel at a total loss with no idea how to calm him down or at least bring the Dramatic Public Scene to a close. Usually we just end up totally frustrated with him, which seems like the worst case scenario for everyone. Any ideas for how to help him get past this stage?

5) This last one isn’t really a question, I just wanted to show you the kids’ school photos, which finally came back. Man, pleasantly surprised doesn’t even cover it. I could look at these all day long, cheesy fake fence and all.

4676274509_cb8e8fc61a

4676274419_2eb61ef369

Comments

215 Responses to “5 things”

1. Gwensarah on June 12th, 2010 3:43 pm

Oh! Stephenie Meyer’s The Host. Completely different from the Twilight series

2. Liz on June 13th, 2010 12:47 pm

also! just read “restoring harmony” by joelle anthony. it’s set up and down the pacific coast, especially in portland/gresham but also between here and victoria. quite well written, and an interesting take on what a dystopia might look like.

3. Liz on June 13th, 2010 12:49 pm

ooh! and i second the person who recommended “the adoration of jenna fox”. that’s a good YA dystopian/sci fi-ish sort of book. i read that whole thing in one sitting, i think.

4. mema on June 13th, 2010 1:15 pm

a day late and a dollar short here, but public speaking? um, I would rather shave my legs with a cheese grater! you’re welcome

5. Laura on June 14th, 2010 9:37 am

When you use Bare Minerals do you use the Primer (Prime Time)? If not – go out and get it! That will even out your skin tone big time! They have a new brightening one, that I’m looking forward to.

Also, you didn’t mention a moisturizer. I find that I use different moisturizers in winter and summer because my skin changes drastically. So maybe an oil free SPF moisturizer will help.

I’m also tempted to try the new face cleanser from BE, but haven’t yet…

6. April on June 17th, 2010 11:51 am

Avon Magix Face protector. I goes on under your foundation, has an spf, and leaves a smooth matte finish.

7. veralynn on June 19th, 2010 11:35 am

Mac Studio Fix. It’s a pressed powder with a touch of foundation built in and makes my skin look amazing. It’s light coverage, but very smooth. I put on a serum before my moisturizer and that stops any concealer, makeup, whatever from settling into the wrinkly bits.

(ok, wrinkly bits sounds way dirty)

8. Kelsey on June 20th, 2010 7:53 am

I’m so late here, but I skimmed the comments and didn’t see a recommendation for How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff… that might fit the bill. I just finished a stint as a junior high media specialist and the kids are eating that stuff up. The tricky part is a lot of it is slightly too intense, too racy for junior high. If we couldn’t buy it for our school I just wrote down the titles and sent them to the public library, don’t tell. :-)

9. marilyn on June 28th, 2010 12:59 pm

So your commenters already nailed the books that get mentioned in comparison with The Hunger Games here, but there’s a pretty good review of it/dystopian YA lit in the New Yorker last week: http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/atlarge/2010/06/14/100614crat_atlarge_miller

The Uglies sounds awesome from that and what people say here.

That Feed book too — zombies and blogs?!

10. Francesca on June 29th, 2010 6:04 am

1. I’m in love with Maybelline’s pure makeup these days. I only tried them because they were half off at Duane Reade, and then went back to buy a bunch more. Supposedly they’re oil free and 50% water. My skin is on the dryer end of the spectrum but I still hate oil.

2. Law school killed my love of reading so I’m no help here.

3. What helps me is focusing on just one person and ignore everyone else. But then after 5 minutes pick a different person to focus on so it doesn’t get creepy.

4. No kids so I’m no help.

5. ADORABLE!!

11. baidu678 on September 8th, 2011 12:29 am

Glad you enjoyed my site and article, thanks for providing the comments.

12. Anonymous on July 28th, 2014 11:02 pm

The USS George H.W. Bush arrived in the Persian Gulf as President Barack Obama considers possible military options, although he has ruled out putting American troops on the ground in Iraq.

13. Jeremiah on August 4th, 2014 5:25 pm

Hi thede friends, ɡood paragraph аnd good arguments commented Һere, ӏ am aϲtually enjoying bby
    tɦese.

my page music online streaming – Jeremiah

14. Williemae on August 17th, 2014 5:33 pm

Tremndous things here. I’m very glad to look your post.

Thank you so much and Iam taking a look forward to contact you.
    Will you please drop me a e-mail?

Feel free to visit my web-site :: seo St Albans – Williemae

15. nike air max 2014 running shoe on October 28th, 2014 9:56 pm

Whoa! This blog looks exactly like my old one! It’s on a completely different topic but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Superb choice of colors!