It rained when we left Seattle and never let up once, all the way to Eugene, which has to be a first for that drive. Just relentlessly dreary weather that was kind of nerve-wracking to drive in because every now and then we’d hit one of those I-5 divots and get the eerie sensation the entire truck was waterskiing down the freeway, but the morning after we arrived in town the sky peeled back its ever-present layer of gray and everything was lovely: fresh and green and still dripping in the sunshine.

Thanksgiving dinner was amazing, delicious and fun and the boys behaved fantastically, even though Dylan would only eat rolls at the dinner table but whatever, they were some goddamned great rolls. (Thank you to whoever suggested this easy-peasy “recipe.”)

The boys are totally enamored with their baby cousin and I am too. Oh, he is a buttery little squish of awesomeness, and I especially love that miraculous part where I can hand him to his parents if he starts fussing. God, that is the best baby setup ever.

(”Ai!’ squawked baby Charlie at one point, and Riley was convinced he had said his first word. “You know: I,” he said to me, earnestly. “Likeā€¦I bet he was trying to say ‘I like volcanoes and dragons.’”)

Screen shot 2011-11-26 at 5.05.55 PM

Screen shot 2011-11-26 at 5.04.47 PM

Screen shot 2011-11-26 at 5.03.38 PM

Screen shot 2011-11-26 at 5.05.22 PM

Screen shot 2011-11-26 at 5.05.35 PM

Screen shot 2011-11-26 at 5.04.00 PM

Screen shot 2011-11-26 at 5.04.35 PM

Screen shot 2011-11-26 at 5.04.20 PM

Screen shot 2011-11-26 at 5.02.47 PM

There was a lot to like about this trip but oh, it was also a challenge, maybe because six of us were sharing a small house for three days, and I’m awfully glad to be home. I’m glad to be out of the reality of the visit and looking back on the handful of photos I took that show some of the brightest moments. That is often the magic of photography, don’t you think? Whether it’s a blurry badly-framed Instagram image or a gorgeous high-end SLR photo, sometimes you can choose to focus on the spirit of what you captured, and let the rest of it go.

Screen shot 2011-11-26 at 5.02.12 PM

It seems so weird that it’s only Saturday today. What will you be doing with the rest of your weekend? I am thinking of taking the kids to the Muppets, and if they do not love the Muppets, then I don’t even know, man. BANISHMENT.

Comments

22 Responses to “Pixel perfect”

1. Danell on November 26th, 2011 7:26 pm

I, for one, will spend the rest of the weekend FRETTING MIGHTILY over how much CHRISTMAS SHOPPING still needs to get done. *wrings hands*

2. NancyJ on November 26th, 2011 7:30 pm

Man you guys sure produce some identical looking kids! What’s going on up there??
    Glorious days of nothingness! I’ve had so much sleep I got out of bed at 5 friggin 30 this morning and worked out for an hour!
    Tomorrow it’s I swear my last sitting on the back of the motorcycle trip for the year. If I’m cold someone’s in trouble (supposed to be high of 62). Wish my husband luck!

3. Cas on November 26th, 2011 9:21 pm

I’m pretty sure that’s the biggest turkey I have ever seen :). From that awesome pic it looks like the kids could ride it…
    Happy Weekend-After-Thanksgiving!

4. Meagan on November 26th, 2011 10:04 pm

Of course they’ll love the muppets. Ahh, I miss Eugene. I’ll be back (with my baby) to visit my parents in January but I sometimes wonder how I ended up so far away from home. Thanksgiving isn’t even a possibility.

5. Megsie on November 26th, 2011 10:22 pm

Oh, my goodness, I LOVE that last photo of the boys having words in the back and a perfectly clear picture of your EAR PLUG (pretty and pink!) in your ear!! That is a perfect way to end my day…thanks for the chuckle.

Glad you had some good turkey, and a traditional Thanksgiving day!

6. Kerrie T. on November 26th, 2011 10:59 pm

We are going to the Muppets, too. Hope it’s not too crowded! I was feeling supernervous about going because I heard Frank Oz refused to do participate. But I’m hearing good reviews! Yay!

7. Judy on November 27th, 2011 12:07 am

Why is Dylan suddenly looking like a child and not a pudgy little toddler? I don’t know if I can allow this.

8. Amy N on November 27th, 2011 1:47 am

I love the b/w of Riley with his cousin. I am getting tons of stuff done around the house. It’s my first long weekend w/o my boys (they are at their dads for the weekend) and it is a little weird but also a little refreshing. I’ve had some quiet time, but have also checked a lot off the to do list! Maybe the muppets next weekend!

9. Lucy on November 27th, 2011 2:04 am

Beautiful pics, especially the one of you with the children. Dylan looks so much like his dad in that photo!

10. Karl on November 27th, 2011 2:49 am

“..and I especially love that miraculous part where I can hand him to his parents if he starts fussing…”

and welcome to the pleasures of being a grandma! (I was an unbeliever myself until grandson #1 arrived on the scene.) but oh wait, you aren’t a grandma yet … I’m going to have to take this to the GrandParents High Council, and if this post is erased entirely, it’s because you found out the secret some 25 years too soon….

11. heidi on November 27th, 2011 3:09 am

I read all the time but rarely comment – apologies! But I love your description of this – so ‘get’ it – but especially love Riley’s interpretation of the baby’s first word. Utterly priceless.

12. Eric's Mommy on November 27th, 2011 7:00 am

Sounds/looks like you guys had a great Thanksgiving.
    I’m so jealous you are going to see the Muppets!

13. Taryn on November 27th, 2011 10:48 am

haha…..nice earplugs!

14. Lisa B on November 27th, 2011 12:28 pm

Holy crap, Dylan is suddenly a boy, no longer a toddler! Stop that, dang it.

15. Christine on November 27th, 2011 2:40 pm

That looks like such a lovely trip! We took my 9 year old half-brother in law and 6 year old nephew to the Muppets yesterday. We all loved it! The 6 year old only asked if it was almost over 2 times, both times near the end…but he danced in his seat most of the time, so I’m still voting it a success. (FWIW he isn’t so good at sitting still to watch anything, so it may well be the greatest success ever.) Plus: Muppets.

16. Jennifer on November 27th, 2011 3:58 pm

OK, in that photo of you with the three kids… you look like you must be their 18 y/o babysitter! *gorgeous*

17. Jen on November 27th, 2011 5:11 pm

Ha, love the ear plugs, nice touch! Also, I really, really like your longer hairstyle!

18. Becky on November 27th, 2011 6:34 pm

HAHAHA my 4yo LOVES those rolls…calls them the “ones with grass on them”..seriously he will eat 6 or 7 of them…..

19. Lisa on November 28th, 2011 7:05 am

My son is old, old, old, and still eats only rolls (and maybe ham. MAYBE) for holiday dinners. I’ve given up worrying about it, but it drives my MIL cuh-razy. (Win/Win!)

20. Redbecca on November 28th, 2011 10:00 am

So…did they like the Muppets, or are you now childless? :)
    (and yes, totally agree on that one. If our kiddo didn’t like Muppets he’d have to move out)

21. Katie on November 28th, 2011 1:23 pm

Dude! All of a sudden your boys look so big and grown up! Maybe it’s the baby next to them.

22. Kate on November 28th, 2011 5:40 pm

My god, that is a massive turkey!