Have you by chance seen this video? The one that shows how, amazingly, one inexpensive 6V battery contains *32* AA batteries? And all you have to do to access this motherlode of cheap electronic go-juice is pry open the 6V and dump them out?

Well, I just stumbled across that video last night (without noticing the intro, mind you) and it blew my mind. I insisted that we immediately needed to run out and buy a 6V battery to try it out.

We got a standard large Energizer battery:

Screen shot 2011-12-28 at 11.41.59 AM

Opened it up ….

Screen shot 2011-12-28 at 11.41.44 AM

and HOLY FUCK IT’S FULL OF—

Screen shot 2011-12-28 at 11.43.41 AM

Whatever those big-ass things are.

In other words, when it sounds too good to be true, it pays to check Snopes.

Or see if anyone else has made a helpful video to explain the process.

Lantern Battery Trick Fails – Watch MoreFunny Videos

Mouthbreathingly yours,
Linda

Comments

17 Responses to “Hook, line, and sinker”

1. Nolita on December 28th, 2011 12:59 pm

Oh Linda! That is hilarious. Thanks for taking one for the team!

2. Jesabes on December 28th, 2011 1:11 pm

Bummer, that would have been cool if it was actually true!

3. carey on December 28th, 2011 1:21 pm

I feel your pain. My son and I once did an “experiment” on youtube that said you could make ice from water, salt, sugar and paper towels! At least the batteries in the battery is somewhat believable. I just didn’t think that anyone would deliberately try to trick people in a youtube video. Naive? Stupid? Uh, yeah.

4. Christine on December 28th, 2011 1:33 pm

Mwahaha! That is awesome that you tried. I would just be the doofus repeated, “hey did you know there were 32(!OMG) AA batteries in one single 6V?”

Also your last post made me misty. Hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday season!

5. Christine on December 28th, 2011 1:33 pm

Mwahaha! That is awesome that you tried. I would just be the doofus repeating, “hey did you know there were 32(!OMG) AA batteries in one single 6V?”

6. birdgal (another amy) on December 28th, 2011 2:01 pm

According to my husband, I can be pretty gullible and was all set to be righteously indignant that I hadn’t heard of this before, and then I got to the ‘punchline’ and was horribly disappointed. Oh well, at least I got a laugh out of it (not AT you, with you!). Mouthbreathers unite!!

7. Michelle M. on December 28th, 2011 2:49 pm
  8. Donna on December 28th, 2011 2:58 pm

Crap, I told alot of people about that……and also? Duh!

9. Sunshyn on December 28th, 2011 3:08 pm

Michelle M., I’m cracking up on the youtube VCR hack.

10. BabyKMama on December 28th, 2011 3:17 pm

Hee Hee… made me think of Seinfeld for some reason, “Did you know that the original title for War and Peace was War, What Is It Good For?” and it got passed around…

11. AnEmily on December 28th, 2011 5:07 pm

Wait! Did you open those big ass things? I heard those are filled with candy.

12. Kelley O on December 28th, 2011 5:15 pm

And can anyone explain why a 6 volt battery is SOOOOOO much larger than a 9 volt battery? I mean come on, 9>6, right? But a 6 volt battery is at LEAST 4 times as big as a 9 volt battery. WTF, battery-mfrs.

13. Karl on December 29th, 2011 6:38 am

The 6 volt battery is bigger because it supplies a lot more power. A standard 9-volt battery does have a higher voltage but supplies much less current. Total power is voltage times current.

As an analogy, consider squirting water out of a small toy squirt-gun versus turning a full bucket upside down. The squirt-gun shoots a lot farther (voltage), but the bucket delivers more water per unit time (current) and more total water (power).

It’s fairly easy to raise battery voltage by stacking a bunch of small cells in series; that’s what a 9-volt battery does under the covers. To get power, though, there’s no alternative to using lots of battery materials, which means a physically large battery.

14. Gaby on December 29th, 2011 7:28 am

I love that last video: “It’s a bunch of bullshit. FAAAAKE!” I think I’m going to try and work that phrase into everyday life, so see? All was not for naught.

15. sweetney on January 2nd, 2012 6:54 am

Cracked my shit right up.

16. Jon on January 3rd, 2012 7:23 am

Also you can’t make your own glow sticks with Mountain Dew and hydrogen peroxide.

17. Branny on April 3rd, 2014 5:16 pm

I think that we should help a local business by using a nearby removals company.