Did you watch the season finale of Downton Abbey last night? If not, here is your official notification that I’m about to talk about it, thus firehosing all sorts of episode details directly into your face. In order to avoid this spoiler-bukkake, stop reading now and click elsewhere! Let Thomas’s disembodied dead-eyed gaze be your warning!

Screen shot 2012-02-20 at 10.57.20 AM

I love spoilers, so I do.

I initially resisted Downton Abbey because I suspected everyone who was raving about it was in on some elaborate joke—I mean, since when did everyone get obsessed with some crusty old period drama?—and then I finally downloaded the first episode and was instantly addicted. If you’ve never seen it I can’t even really explain why it’s so good, just that it is. I mean, even the opening sequence is indescribably compelling—there goes the dog butt! And the bell! And the flower petal! OH MY GOD HERE’S THE CHANDELIER PART I JUST SHIT MY PANTS.

Anyway, we tore through season one and two in record time, and I can’t believe the finale is now over and we have to wait, like, MONTHS to see what happens next.

As for last night’s show, I mostly loved it. So much to talk about!

Matthew and Mary. I mean, finally. Jesus christ on a stick. I was distracted by Mary’s bare arms as the romantic snow fell all around her in the proposal scene—dude, isn’t she freezing?—but it was a lovely moment and I had a big stupid smile on my face. God knows we can’t trust that they’ll really live happily ever after, but I’m glad the season didn’t leave us hanging on this front. Also, is it just me or did Matthew somehow develop a chin between season one and season two?

Screen shot 2012-02-20 at 10.56.16 AM

Sir Richard Carlisle. The genius of allowing Sir Richard’s eternal nastiness to wear so painfully thin was unveiled via Lady Violet’s elegant “Do you promise?” when Richard announced they’ll never see one another again. Did you leap off the sofa in order to comically pump your fist and yell “OH FUCKING SNAP” when that happened? Just me? Okay then.

Daisy. Good god, the girl finally sort of grew a spine—although she’s clearly still missing most of her brains, as evidenced by the Ouija board fakeout. The resolution over the endless William-whinging was actually sort of brilliant, too. Hopefully in season 3 she won’t be quite so mush-headed and startled all the time, because it’s been kind of getting old. Also, weirdly familiar somehow…

Screen shot 2012-02-20 at 11.38.59 AM

Lord Grantham. I didn’t see the Pamuk confession coming at ALL, did you? His subsequent conversation with Mary was pretty much the best thing ever: “I don’t want my daughter to be married to a man who threatens her with ruin. I want a good man for you. A brave man.” So noble! So loving! So forgiven for macking on that maid a couple episodes ago!

Thomas. Man, I was prepared to hate Thomas forever if Isis the Dog met her untimely demise, but by the part when he managed to emerge as the hero for looking for her, I was actually sort of rooting for him. He’s evil, but he’s becoming a sympathetic character, don’t you think? He’s just so bumbling in his diabolical efforts.

Bates and Anna. Oh, Bates. Well, at least he’s not dead, but I have to say, the Bates/Anna storyline has gone downhill for me. I was so into those two last season, and this season has just been so…SOAPY, I guess. I feel Bates started out all strong and mysterious, and now he’s just passive and more than a little cheesy. Although it was oddly refreshing to see him in prison garb, for some reason.

Rosamund and Whatshisname
. Ugh, the grifter side plot was nearly as bad as the Burned Peter/Patrick episode.

The Servant’s Ball. AMAZING. I could not have loved this more. Cora dancing with Carson! Thomas dancing with the Dowager Countess! Matthew taking a stiff drink and shuddering (”Crikey!”) when he realizes he’ll have to dance with O’Brien! Nothing but net in this entire scene.

Screen shot 2012-02-20 at 12.17.23 PM

Did you watch last night? (I certainly hope so, if you’ve made it this far.) What did you think?

Comments

56 Responses to “Downton Abbey: let us talk of the finale”

1. Brigid on February 20th, 2012 1:30 pm

I just watched it a few minutes ago, so you’re timing is perfect. I agree with so much of what you said and laughed out loud at your descriptions. Beaker. Ha!

I’m team Maggie all the way. She has had the best lines all season. Though Matthew’s “Crikey” was near perfect. I was sure Thomas’s cigarette thrown into the brush was going to burn down the shed with Isis trapped inside. Whew.

2. Alli on February 20th, 2012 1:47 pm

We did watch last night, and it was so awesome. I know I had a dopey grin on my face the entire two hours. I was not happy with Thomas taking Isis and was annoyed at that story line. I hope though that Thomas becoming the valet will let Lord Grantham know how awful Thomas really is. I don’t think he has changed, I just think he is biding his time.

I was worried about Daisy’s story line. I thought William’s dad would want her widow money, but apparently he really did think Daisy loved William and I love how it turned out he just wanted a daughter.

Ms. Shore was a trouble maker from the start, but I hope we see more Rosamund next series.

I too worried about Lady Mary’s bare arms. It was confusing, but I’m happy they are finally committed to one another. I hope a visit to America does still work into the story, not just having Shirley McClain go to the UK. Maybe Edith would be all about finding a cowboy?

And have you seen http://whendowagercountesstexts.tumblr.com/? I laugh all the time. Maggie Smith was by far my favorite character and I look forward to the next series. They just need to actually film it!

3. Catherine on February 20th, 2012 1:47 pm

I agree with everything except for Thomas, who continues to be irredeemable in my eyes. Dude, you don’t mess with a dude’s dog! And I loved every bit about how the Granthams treat the servants versus Richard (who thinks he’s so much better than them) expecting them to be kept in their place.

4. Betsy on February 20th, 2012 2:03 pm

Oh Linda! Yes, yes, yes! I love everything about this post.

The Dowager Countess saying “Do you promise?” to Sir Richard made me laugh out loud. I heart the Dowager Countess.

And I TOTALLY agree about the Anna/Bates storyline. Over it.

I’m still not sure about Thomas, though. Your assessment of “bumbling[ly] diabolical” is spot on, but I’m with Carson, and I just don’t trust him.

Let the Season 3 countdown commence….

5. Catherine on February 20th, 2012 2:06 pm

I heart all of your show recaps, here and otherplaces (I don’t even watch Walking Dead and I still find the recaps both riveting and hilarious). Glad you wrote something here because it seems like no one else I know (who watches the show) has seen it yet… And here I am watching a show live, instead of a year + later on Netflix for the first time in like three years!

But yes, EXCELLENT episode. I love that there are unanswered questions without getting too cliff hangery. If Bates didn’t kill the former Mrs. Bates, as I assume he didn’t, WHO DID?? Will Edith ever resolve things with old-guy-who-drives-a-car? Is O’Brian good or bad – we JUST CAN’T TELL.

I was also glad that Mary and Matthew finally got their act together and stopped acting so tragic about their star crossed love. I had butterflies in my stomach the entire episode just waiting for that proposal at the end. I am so looking forward to next season. Does it premeire in September in the US?

6. Nowheymama on February 20th, 2012 2:13 pm

I cannot WAIT till next season. Meanwhile, I’ll have to play with my Downton Abbey paper dolls: http://www.vulture.com/2012/02/print-out-vultures-downton-abbey-paper-dolls.html

7. Jen on February 20th, 2012 2:27 pm

Ah, yes! One of the more satisfying season finales of any show, ever. I, too, couldn’t contain my grin during the last few minutes. However, is there no issue with cousins MARRYING? I mean, I burst out laughing when Matthew says, “Will you, Mary Crawley, take me …” Matthew Whose-Last-Name-Is-Also-Crawley … That must’ve been common back then? Also, can we discuss how utterly INEPT Dr. Clarkson is? What a hack!

And it’s over. Sigh. I think I shall fill the DA-sized void in my life with Sons of Anarchy.

8. Courtney on February 20th, 2012 2:51 pm

I was watching the finale when I opened my Google reader and saw your post… the SEASON 1 FINALE!!! WTF I’m always so late for the party. And I’m now obsessed, and freaking out because where can I watch season 2? Where? TELL ME NOW.

9. Alli on February 20th, 2012 3:00 pm

Courtney- season 2 is on PBS.com for another week or so.

10. Catherine on February 20th, 2012 3:01 pm

Courtney… pbs.org
    WATCH IT NOW.

11. Maureen on February 20th, 2012 3:05 pm

I am someone who has always been “obsessed with crusty old period dramas”, so much so that I ordered Downton Abbey from amazon in England so I could watch it before it aired on PBS here in the US. I love, love, love this show, and am so happy it is finding such a wide audience. This gives me hope that maybe there will be more shows like this, and I can save money on shipping from the UK.

A couple things from the comments above, I just assumed that Mrs. Bates killed herself, knowing that Mr. Bates would be blamed, thereby ruining his life.

Cousin marrying? If I remember correctly from the very first episode, Matthew’s father was a very distant cousin of Lord Grantham, so of course Mary and Matthew are even more distantly related. I also seem to remember that Crawley isn’t Matthew’s last name, he had to change it when he became heir.

When I first saw this (last night was my 3rd viewing!) I was so surprised and happy Matthew and Mary got it together at the end. I thought it was a beautiful shot of them in the snow with the house in the background, just lovely.

Daisy and her father in law were adorable, I love that actor, he was in the Horatio Hornblower series and ever since then I am always so happy to see him in anything. Loved how he told her to stop listening the the bad advice.

I totally agree about the Anna/Bates storyline. Of course I want them to be together, but the scenes at the jail-not very interesting.

Please everyone who likes this show-check out North and South with Richard Armitage. It is an Elizabeth Gaskell story, and it has Bates in it-he is all growly and yummy, and Richard Armitage is beyond hot. Plus if you haven’t seen Gosford Park, it is wonderful and written by Julian Fellowes, so it has the same kind of feel as DA.

One more thing-Maggie Smith as Violet is one of the best characters I have seen on my screen in years!!

12. Melissa on February 20th, 2012 3:12 pm

Isnt rosamond’s whatshisname robin concord from Cheers way back when. That was distracting. I loved every other second of it!

Courtney – I watched almost every episode on PBS.org

13. Hellcat13 on February 20th, 2012 3:20 pm
  14. allison on February 20th, 2012 3:25 pm

I so love this show. And the Dowager countess… she has made my life so much better. you see, when I have to read something completely and utterly boring (like the many briefs I have to format and mark at work) I read them in my mind in her voice. It works SPLENDIDLY.

15. Nichole on February 20th, 2012 3:26 pm

Yes to all of the above! I especially loved Grantham’s speech to Mary. And the bare arms in the Wintry Flurry o’ Love.

16. Cetta on February 20th, 2012 3:26 pm

As I said in my “GetGlue” check-in: When I grow up, I want to be the Dowager Countess. I laughed out loud at “Do you promise?” I adore her.

You know who I’m sick of? Cora! I’m guessing Shirley MacLaine will play her mother next season – that should be a treat!

17. Hannah on February 20th, 2012 3:36 pm

I pre-ordered Season 2 from Amazon and got it last week (and have watched the Christmas Special 3 times since). I love every second of it. The ‘holy shit’ moment for me from this season was the appearance of Patrick (well the alleged Patrick). I have a feeling he’ll be back.

So much to look forward to next season: Sybil’s baby, the appearance of Shirley MacLaine as Cora’s mother, and of course all the obstacles to Matthew and Mary’s marriage.

@Catherine: Season 3 will begin airing on ITV in September. If you poke around a little on the Interweb, you’ll probably be able to see it before it comes to PBS next January.

18. Another Courtney on February 20th, 2012 3:48 pm

LOVED the whole thing and agree on every point you made! Favorite line of all time: “Do you promise?”! I’m not sure how I can wait a whole year for season three.

19. Katherine on February 20th, 2012 3:54 pm

“I don’t want my daughter to be married to a man who threatens her with ruin. I want a good man for you. A brave man.” You left off the best part: “Go to the middle west and bring back a cowboy to shake us up.” Beautiful! My favorite Dowager Countess line is from earlier in the series, when Matthew, Lavinia, and Mary might have met accidentally on the train if not for Mary being driven in: “Oh good. I do so hate Greek drama. All the action happens off-stage.” Brilliant! I love Maggie Smith’s every move. And Matthew’s “crikey” just about made me shoot water out of my nose. So spot on. I’m going to be beating a vein for season three from now until next January. Wahhhhh.

20. Tom-Hearthfire on February 20th, 2012 3:54 pm

Carson was smooth. Just look at how confident his dancing was with the ladies. :)

I was prepared to eviscerate Thomas myself if anything happened to the dog (Isis!). Alas, he lives to sneer another day.

Mary and Matthew… finally. Sir Richard knocked on his sociopathic ass… finally.

Bates. :( HELP HIM.

21. Maureen on February 20th, 2012 3:57 pm

Don’t forget, Carson used to be on the stage! No wonder he has the dance moves.

22. Amy on February 20th, 2012 4:05 pm

I’m a Brit so I watched this at Christmas when it aired, along with about 8 million other people. It is so especially ridiculous but I love it. My favourite part of season 2 was whenever Matthew casually popped back from the war.

And you’re quite right, Matthew got much more attractive between seasons.

23. JennB on February 20th, 2012 4:10 pm

I love Thomas, even though he’s an evil bastard.

I so want to watch tonight (on pbs.org) but I have a 2 hour exam to study for and a horrid paper to write…

I will miss this show… until S3!

24. Kristin on February 20th, 2012 4:11 pm

I agree with you about Isis the Dog! Last week, I kind of took to making fun of Downton more because of ALL the millions of things that could happen in 2 hours, and when the dog went missing, I was prepared to get nasty if she died!

The Ouija board part was pretty funny to me. “Is there anyone there?”

It was a good episode. It was nice to see most of the loose ends tied up!

25. Laura on February 20th, 2012 4:27 pm

I love this show. I think Maggie Smith is my favorite character, though Matthew Crawley does make my heart go pitterpatter. I’m glad he and Mary got together, but I thought it was a smidge anti-climatic.

The only thing I have to say is WAAAAHHHHH no more until September!

26. Rachael on February 20th, 2012 5:04 pm

Mattew’s “Crikey!” was the best line of the show.

27. Amy on February 20th, 2012 5:09 pm

Count me in with the latecomers to this wonderful show. I am now hooked and can’t believe I have to wait nearly a year for the next installments!

One of my favorite lines was in the beginning when they were exchanging gifts and Matthew’s mother gave the Dowager Countess and gift of a nutcracker. You know, so she can crack her nuts! Ha!

28. Sara B. on February 20th, 2012 8:04 pm

Gawd I love this show – I was in the same boat, resisted it and then utterly sucked in. Dowager Countess is my hands down favorite. And I was so disappointed in Lord Grantham’s taking up with the maid!!

I found Bates’ trial excruciating – so sad to see everyone inadvertently seal his fate. A friend has a theory that Thomas killed Vera to get the cash Bates gave her, to start his black market business. I was hoping last night’s episode would give some hints about who killed her, but nothing. I loved seeing Thomas fail – he is a delicious villain. Now, the waiting, the waiting.

29. Dak on February 20th, 2012 8:16 pm

I love this show so hard it hurts. Then again, I am a sucker for a good costume drama. (Exhibit A: My secret crush on Richard Armitage in the BBC’s North & South. So hot. So broody.)

The Dowager Countess never disappoints, and Maggie Smith delivers those lines like no one else.

The whole Bates and Anna business is making me nuts. Hate it. Like you, in the first series I was loving thier story, but now … meh. They are making Bates look like sort of a wanker. C’mon, show. Bring the old Bates back!

Mary and Matthew! Fin-a-frikken-ly. Yay! Can’t wait to see how they torture them next season.

Thomas is a little bitch, and I can never wait to see what evil deed he will bungle next. What I really want to see is something more about the Love That Dare Not Speak Its Name, to use the parlance of the time.

O’Brien is just a stright up bitch. Crikey is right, Matthew.

Ahhh. The Servant’s Ball. Perfect ending. Just perfect.

I just read somewhere that about 1/3 of all British stately homes were destroyed because the money ran out, and they had to be sold off for motorways/parking lots/business parks/etc. What will happen to Downton?!

30. whoorl on February 20th, 2012 8:59 pm

I love it so much that I couldn’t wait for the finale and watched it on some website with shitty resolution a few weeks ago.

(Can we talk about Shirley MacLaine playing Cora’s mom in season 3? How kick ass is THAT going to be???)

31. Megan on February 20th, 2012 10:35 pm

Oh man, I RACED through seasons one and two and just finished the finale. This show is so freaking good. It’s also so freaking predictable but I don’t even care!

I am unbelievably attracted to Thomas. At first I thought he looked like a Twilight character but he’s definitely grown on me. Watching him dance at the servants’ ball? Yes. Yes, please. He is smarmy and stately and beautiful.

I feel you on the Anna/Bates storyline, for sure. I think they’re adorable but 99% of the time he seems to love her more like a father, less like her husband who may or may not have murdered his ex-wife omgwtfbbq. She’s all devoted and he’s like, “Very well, please make friends whilst I rot away in prison.”

So glad the season wrapped up nicely and we’re not stuck with a Matthew/Mary cliffhanger for seven months. Yay Downton! Yay Crawleys! Yay!

32. ZestyJenny on February 21st, 2012 12:27 am

Love this, Linda!

Megan, I agree about Thomas. He is a delicious villain. :)

33. Jo on February 21st, 2012 4:50 am

The Beaker pic made me spit out my coffee. That is Daisy. You are too much hilariousness for me in the morning.

Cannot WAIT for Shirley Maclaine and Maggie Smith to lock horns next season. That is going to be hot.

34. Em on February 21st, 2012 10:04 am

@allison – I love that idea. I am totally going to read the documents I have to proofread in Maggie Smith’s voice from now on.

I loved the finale! I also thought the shed Isis was trapped in was going to burn down. This season was a tad too soapy (I have had enough of Anna and Bates. They can go away.) compared to Season 1, but I will be back for more.

35. Kim on February 21st, 2012 10:23 am

I just read it isn’t going to be back until next January which makes me very sad. But, Julian Fellowes is doing Titanic next!

36. Kath on February 21st, 2012 10:48 am

yes to everyone – but @ Brigid: thank god I didn’t see Thomas throw his cigarette while leaving Isis in the shed – I was convinced she would accidentally hang herself on her lead trying to get out and was already beside myself!

And the bare arms – but isn’t she goose pimpled?????????

Love love love all this … thanks Linda

37. souphead on February 21st, 2012 11:00 am

my review would be pretty much the same as yours. Love that show so much and really can’t explain why.

A big part of me was starting to get excited to see Mary in 1920s America. Oh, could she get into some trouble! but i’m happy to finally see her and Mathew happy together (at least for now).

38. Trish on February 21st, 2012 11:19 am

Great recap!I also fell in love with it, after strongly resisting it. I was sure it was going to be a crappy show, what a mistake I made not watching it when it first aired. The Lord Grantham speech to Mary killed me…..man, to have a father like that!

39. Cora on February 21st, 2012 11:42 am

I was also terrified that the dog was going to die. Terrified! I’ve never been more relieved about an animal’s fake death before.

I loved, loved, loved the finale as a whole. I am anti-Bates, so I didn’t care about him hanging or not, but I assumed they wouldn’t actually kill him. He’s too popular, ya know?

Matthew and Mary are my favorite and I may or may not have swooned when he proposed (again). Let me go ahead and say that I am going to VERY UPSET if they break up next season!

Do we even know when Season 3 is going to start? Next year, probably? Gah! Such a long time from now!

Thanks for recapping and giving me a chance to comment on the show!

40. Jen Johnson on February 21st, 2012 1:12 pm

How is it that so many people love this show, but I don’t have anyone to talk to about it! Thanks for your thoughts on the finale, I agree! They weren’t in the finale, but what do you think of the Sybil/Branson storyline? I think it will be delicious if they come back from Ireland with a bouncing baby BOY.

41. Claudia on February 21st, 2012 1:20 pm

I’m a sucker for any PBS costumer but I have been riveted to this since ep 1. LOVE IT. I am a little in love with Lord Grantham even though he lost a bit of respect when he hit on the maid. And perhaps you noticed that Rosamond’s maid played Barbara Havers in the Inspector Lyndley mysteries? No? I did. Because I am that kind of PBS geek. And a reader of mysteries. Can’t wait for season 3!!

42. Mariya on February 21st, 2012 1:30 pm

I put DA on as “background music” when it first aired and was immediately sucked in. I’m glad it’s finally caught on in popularity and I don’t have to constantly say to my friends, “No, I’m serious, it is AWESOME!”

I agree about Matthew and Mary. I got the good kind of shivers watching them in the snow. The best thing about them is their banter back and forth, so I hope that continues.

I feel a little annoyed at the writer(s) creating this over-the-top murder trial for Bates. It happened so quickly and, in my opinion, it just seemed like an overwhelming whirlwind. I LOVED Anna and Bates before and now I just feel like we’re being manipulated by the sensational murder trial. Sometimes less is more. Remember when Bates brought Anna the dinner tray when she was sick? I swooned!

I agree that the Patrick storyline was completely stupid. I hope they realize how lame that storyline is and pretend like he fell off the face of the Earth.

I agree with the commenter who wrote that she hoped that Mary still went to New York next season. That would be great fun!

43. Ris on February 22nd, 2012 7:32 am

I too was perplexed by and fixated on her bare arms. Isn’t that…snow? She must be freezing! But the scene overall was completely worth it. Also? Maggie Smith’s one-liners are the BEST. God that woman has wonderful comedic timing, and Fellowes really knows how to write for her.

44. Oly guy on February 22nd, 2012 9:17 am

Perfect review and observations. It was GREAT.

My only WTF with the ongoing characters is Bates. The Bad Luck Schleprock of Downtown Abbey. What does the completely delicious Anna see in that guy?

They just started filming season 3 this month. We have a long wait ahead of us…

45. maggie on February 22nd, 2012 11:04 am

You summed it up so well. Lady Violet is so awesome, that line was the best of the night. The only thing I disagree with is feeling sympathy for Thomas. I am on the verge, but not quite there yet. O’Brien is growing on me though. Can’t believe the season is over already. It is sad how much I looked forward to Sunday nights because of this show.

46. Christine on February 22nd, 2012 12:10 pm

I didn’t read this because I’ve never watched the show, and might one day-not that I won’t forget what I’ve read immediately…

BUT had to comment due to spoiler bukkake. You’re my favorite.

47. Janssen on February 22nd, 2012 9:49 pm

I love this post so very much.

I couldn’t agree more about Bates and Anna – they’ve really gone downhill. And I was distracted by the bare arms too, but hey, I don’t care too much because FINALLY RESOLUTION!

48. Marie Green on February 22nd, 2012 11:12 pm

I was distracted by her bare arms tooooo! AND I also finally forgave Lord Grantham for that whole maid business, when he said “you’re not the only one in this family that has made mistakes.” He’s just so DECENT and LIKABLE.

Also, I thought it was hilarious how Matthew could just APPEAR, and pretty frequently, back from war. And then? Gone again.

Lady Sybil is a favorite of mine, so I was bummed that she wasn’t in this ep.

Also, why are we not discussing Bates? Innocent or guilty? I think his wretched old hag of a (DEAD) wife got her final revenge by framing him in her death. Thoughts?

49. Jen in Germany on February 23rd, 2012 8:19 am

Now you are blogging about Downton Abbey! You are awesome!

50. kat on February 24th, 2012 1:00 pm

you pretty much echoed everything i thought too. LOVE the show.

51. Diane on February 24th, 2012 4:04 pm

Did anyone notice that Maria Doyle Kennedy (Vera Bates) was also Katherine of Aragon in The Tudors? It was driving me crazy. Thank goodness for imdb.

52. Karen Chatters on February 24th, 2012 6:57 pm

I LOVE this show. So addicted and sad we have to wait until September!

All I could think about the Mary/Matt story was, “Isn’t she freezing? Where are her goosebumps?”

And I loved Lady Violet’s, “Do you promise?” Awesome.

And the dog, yeah. If Isis had died, Thomas would have had to be killed.

So yeah, I’m basically just mimicking everything you just said and have none of my own thoughts.

53. Noemi on February 25th, 2012 8:15 pm

I TOTALLY said “snap” at that moment. Now I’m just sad that I didn’t say “OH FUCKING SNAP” because that certainly has more panache.

54. Clueless But Hopeful Mama on February 27th, 2012 5:15 am

My response to the Dowager Countess’ “Do you promise” was to yell “GO GRANNY!”

And then file “Do you promise” away to hopefully use at a later date.

What about Sir Richard and Matthew’s LAME fight? C’mon! Put a little muscle into it!

55. Carrie on March 1st, 2012 12:41 pm

Am I too late to join the party? I just finished Season 2 (I’m behind, I know!)and have now read your post and subsequently ALL the comments which I have LOVED!

I’ll start with a DITTO on all the comments loving Mary & Matthew’s engagement (and also no sleeves? brrrr) and the Dowager Countess – LOVE!

Also, I LOVED that they turned a somewhat annoying (in my mind) story line about Daisy into such a sweet resolution where she gained a father figure in her life.

Anna and Bates. Ohmygod. How many times can Bates fall on his sword? He goes to jail for his wife, he leaves Downtown to keep it from scandal and then he doesn’t tell the police that HE BOUGHT THE POISON. Stop Taking the Fall, Man!

Also, I had assumed that Vara killed herself and framed Bates as her final revenge? In my mind there was no question about it, but now I realize from the comments maybe there are other storyline options out there. However I am predicting that in Season 3 Mary will have to decide whether she comes forward with the scandal/payoff to Vara/Vara threatening to get her revenge on Bates …in order to get Bates out of jail. It will be the moral conflict of “How far do I go to save a “servant” “- at least that’s my prediction…we’ll see if I’m right!

Also, someone above was mourning the sweet moments that Anna and Bates had in the beginning of their relationship and how that was so much better than all of this soap opera drama. I totally agree. The scene where they were sitting at the kitchen table talking about buying a small inn and having a family – I’m getting teary-eyed just thinking about it – those are the Anna and Bates moments that we love!

Okay, I’ve written a novel on a post that’s two weeks old so no one will even read this, but I do feel better that I got to say my peace! Loved your post and can’t believe we have to wait a year for Season 3!!

56. Lisa on March 8th, 2012 4:22 pm

I had no interest in DA even though I DO like period pieces–simply because most period pieces these days are slow. But I was home sick with a nasty cold one day and had nothing else to watch on Netflix. I watched the entire first season in like 2 days and LOVED it! I am so sad that I have to wait forever for season 3.

I like the Bates/Anna story, even if it’s soapy. I go back and forth between liking Mary and Matthew but I definitely got choked up on the finale! YAY!

I’d like to see more of the pathetic life of the middle-sister who is so angry and spiteful. I think she could be a good “love to hate” character.