Let’s paint the living room, we said. The color is old and the walls are chipped and scuffed and it’ll be nice to start over with a clean slate! Maybe a neutral color will lighten up the room a bit!

Why is that when I think about painting, I never think of moving furniture, pulling things off walls, filling in nail holes, rolling up rugs, removing things from shelves, and choking on the deadly plumes of dust that apparently coat every lesser-used surface of my house?

Anyway, what do you guys think? Ignore the vagina couch, I’m just counting down the days until I can shove it into the backyard and riddle it with bullet holes.

BEFORE:

living1

AFTER:

living2

Comments

61 Responses to “Fresh coat”

1. Sharon on April 5th, 2012 5:24 pm

Why has no one commented on the bookshelf? Your book case is organized by COLOR? People DO THAT? On PURPOSE? Apparently your bookshelf makes me randomly yell.

2. Jodie on April 5th, 2012 6:39 pm

I like the red room with more personality but both rooms look nice. I’m probably just being snarky though b/c your house is clean. LOL

3. jill on April 5th, 2012 7:40 pm

Ummm….do have the post abut running songs saved? Doing a 1/2 soon and need some tunes so I don’t die out there…. thanks

4. Anonymous on April 5th, 2012 8:47 pm

Wow! Really lightens the room up. The ceiling even looks a shade lighter!

5. Lesley T. on April 5th, 2012 11:17 pm

I think I like both equally.

Love the new artwork above the fireplace and the fancy chair!

6. Samantha on April 6th, 2012 6:18 am

Honestly, I love how it looked before! But I’m a sucker for accent walls and making a room look warm and comfy. The new way still looks great, but “modern and open” isn’t really my style. I’m more of a “CLUTTER MAKES A ROOM BETTER ALSO ADD SOME DARK WALLS” kind of girl.

7. Courtney on April 6th, 2012 8:10 am

Love it! Much brighter, and the room looks bigger. This makes me want to paint over our accent wall, too.

P.S. My parents have that exact same rug and I love it.

8. Kirsten on April 6th, 2012 9:56 am

Looks fresh and clean but needs more pops of color.
    Is it wrong that the color coordinated bookshelves bother me?

9. Rachel on April 6th, 2012 11:47 am

Lovely. I really liked the red, but the new look is delightfully sunny. If you still want to move when I win the lottery, I’m totally buying your house and paying you to furnish it for me.

Not that you need any assvice on decorating, since you do such an amazing job – but, are you familiar with air plants? Some staghorns above the bookcase might compliment the new look you have.

10. Cheryl on April 7th, 2012 6:33 am

LOVE! Thanks for inspiring!

11. Stacy H-W on April 8th, 2012 7:13 pm

Love both versions!! Enjoy that clean fresh feel!! Happy Easter!