After many trips back and forth (with a WHEELBARROW) (in 95+ degree weather!) (UPHILL BOTH WAYS) last week, we’re officially settled into our new house. We still have plenty of projects to tackle, including emptying out our rented storage facility, dealing with bogus light fixtures, finishing the sunroom floor, despairing uselessly over all the mismatched cabinets, and un-fucking the family room we’ve been using as a dumping ground since we moved in, but man, things are looking much better than they were.

Some before-and-afters:

-10

The whole process thus far has been expensive, exhausting, and time-consuming … but also kind of insanely rewarding? I don’t know if it’s Stockholm syndrome or what, but I am falling in love with our hoopty little home.

Comments

34 Responses to “New place to call home”

1. Eric's Mommy on August 20th, 2012 12:39 pm

Nice Linda! The house looks great!

2. Donna on August 20th, 2012 12:45 pm

I love your hoopty home too. Esp love the room with the table, that you didn’t paint over the wood….and the family room! I want to play on the floor with the boys, think they’d let me?

3. M.A. on August 20th, 2012 12:48 pm

Neaty-McOrderly: I am so glad to see the books shelved by color… I needed a fix of INSANE NEATNESS (God! Can I hire you for your exquisite taste and ability to organize?!!!) Looks great, Linda. Keep the pics coming!

4. Marolyn on August 20th, 2012 1:05 pm

Love Love LOVE all the Windows!!! So happy for your family!

5. Deb on August 20th, 2012 1:18 pm

You moved with a wheelbarrow, but you arrange your books my color? That’s like redneck and elegant all in one.

Redneck Elegance: that should be a new tv show on premiering on TLC.

House looks great, I’m super happy for you.

6. kathleenicanrah on August 20th, 2012 1:30 pm

the windows! the wood floors! those are some good bones. oh god, the windows, seriously. so so nice!

7. Rachel on August 20th, 2012 1:37 pm

Wow. It looked like an anonymous 70s house but now it looks like Yours with a capital Y. Great job.

8. Amy N on August 20th, 2012 1:45 pm

Fantabulous! Already can’t tell it was a grandma house!!

9. TinaNZ on August 20th, 2012 1:54 pm

Just loving the before-and-afters. I was peering at the his ‘n’ hers desk, trying to figure out which of you was on the totally bare side and which was on the busier (but still neat and tidy) side.

10. PinkieBling on August 20th, 2012 2:03 pm

Wow, you’ve come a long way with it already! I’m so happy you’re happy. Looking forward to more before-and-afters … over time. :)

11. Laura on August 20th, 2012 2:28 pm

It’s amazing how much just taking down the dated curtains really makes the rooms look great. Love those windows!

12. Kristin on August 20th, 2012 2:36 pm

Nothing wrong with falling in love! Your house is beautiful. I would move in in a heartbeat–especially after you’ve done all the work!

13. Karl on August 20th, 2012 2:58 pm

I like the table with picnic benches. Our dining room table was a picnic table for the first 2-3 years. Good memories.

Also, mismatched cabinets are simply a remodeling opportunity that you are saving up for the future.

I like the house, I think it has a real “raise family here” look to it.

14. NancyJ on August 20th, 2012 5:22 pm

It looks great! Congratulations!

15. Meagan on August 20th, 2012 5:23 pm

I love it! Can’t wait to see what your home evolves into.

16. Becky on August 20th, 2012 5:27 pm

Lovely! It is so fun watching you transform it into your house!

Are the boys playing the Busytown eye found it game in the second picture? Our boys LOVE that game!

17. H on August 20th, 2012 6:23 pm

It looks fantastic! (By the way, what was that pink gourd-like object hanging in the sunroom, just outside the kitchen window?)

18. Ris on August 20th, 2012 6:24 pm

Wow it’s beautiful! You guys must have put in an insane amount of work and it looks really great.

19. Cara on August 20th, 2012 6:38 pm

Such progress already! And I cant quite believe you organized your books by color. It looks so cool.

20. Jennifer on August 20th, 2012 8:30 pm

Oooh, new dishwasher! And your new coats of paint on the walls make them look so fresh.

Can’t wait to see the boys’ bedrooms too!

21. Victoria on August 20th, 2012 10:31 pm

I’m so glad :)

22. Anais on August 21st, 2012 5:30 am

Beautiful house! Congratulations! =)

23. Amy M. on August 21st, 2012 7:00 am

It looks fantastic! Congrats!

24. Angella on August 21st, 2012 7:15 am

Oh, it looks so great!

25. April G. on August 21st, 2012 8:28 am

It looks great! I really like the wood cabinets in the kitchen eating area. Now that you have uncluttered and removed the carpet they look more modern and interesting. I hope you keep them!

26. telegirl on August 21st, 2012 9:08 am

We moved into an older house after having lived in a couple nice new homes. It was hard to adjust but our hoopty home is where we want to be all the time now. Well, that and our camp trailer. :)

Blood + sweat + tears = Fierce Love

27. Anonymous on August 21st, 2012 10:09 am

Dude is that your vagina couch?!

28. Sandy on August 21st, 2012 11:36 am

Seriously?? Unbelievable. Awesome transformations :)

29. Randy on August 21st, 2012 12:01 pm

Excellent paint choices. You clearly have class. And I don’t mean those courses you take at a university, but patently that was understood. [Insert vbg here.]

30. victoria on August 21st, 2012 1:54 pm

Hi, Linda,

I haven’t been following your blog dfor a while. I hope you and your family are doing well.

I may need an expert witness to consult about marketing tech services and products.

If you think you might be able to help me or refer me to someone who could, please contact me at 206-268-8623 or vpond@bomplaw.com.

Thanks, and take care. -V.

31. emily on August 23rd, 2012 12:16 pm

Linda: I have been reading your blog since Riley was a baby and have only commented a few times (lately I have been catching up a couple times a year). Anyways, I thought this was a good time to say congrats on all your successes and milestones! You look fabulous, your house is charming and awesome, and yay! for horses and slip n’ slides. You have a beautiful family and are raising two well rounded fantastic little men. You rock.

32. Stephanie on August 27th, 2012 7:27 pm

Looking at those before pictures makes me want to CRY. You deserve a lot of credit for seeing the potential here, and for doing the shit-ton of hard work to turn it into a very charming (and CLEAN) home.

33. Vanessa on August 28th, 2012 10:56 am

Oh it’s wonderful! I love before and after photos – especially when they’re the culmination of a dream (the whole moving to OR thing). I look forward to seeing how things develop.

34. misguided mommy on August 28th, 2012 8:55 pm

are the book shelves color coordinated or is there some kind of paper on the back of them that makes them that color? Or do you really just have that many red and blue books. I’m curious because I’ve been wanting to paper the back side of my bookshelf forever but I can’t find paper, so if you papered yours WHERE DID YOU GET THE PAPER???