Quick to laugh, obsessed with Ninjago, kind to his brother (well … 85% of the time), wants to be an artist or a builder when he grows up, loves fishing, super affectionate, devious as hell. Officially seven — SEVEN! — years old.

Comments

42 Responses to “Seven”

1. Justine on September 1st, 2012 9:07 pm

Beautiful, beautiful photo’s! Does not seem possible that Riley is seven – I’m sure that I read the blog post where you announced you were pregnant just yesterday :)
    Also, you and JB are both looking mighty fine – your new locale obviously agrees with you! (hope that didn’t sound borderline creepy – it was not meant to… I’m not mouth-breathing over your photos or anything, you just both look healthy and glory… i’ll just shut up now )

2. Pete on September 1st, 2012 9:10 pm

Nice Family, happy Birthday Riley. Time is one way and goes fast. Enjoy it.

3. Kate on September 1st, 2012 9:30 pm

Happy Birthday, Riley! I can’t believe he’s SEVEN. I have been reading you way, way longer than he’s been around which I think means I have been reading you for almost ten years? Is that even possible? Mind = blown.

4. tanya on September 1st, 2012 10:01 pm

Man, I remember when you announced you were pregnant too! He looks so much like you, your Riley boy. Happy to everybody.

5. Sonia on September 1st, 2012 10:02 pm

Happy, happy birthday Riley! He looks so grown up, suddenly.

6. Jo on September 1st, 2012 10:28 pm

Happy Birthday Riley! It definitely doesn’t seem like I’ve been reading your writing for over 7 years, but there you go! He looks very grown up :)

7. lesley t. on September 1st, 2012 11:32 pm

Happy birthday, Riley! You are such a handsome boy!

8. Leslie on September 2nd, 2012 5:04 am

Happy Birthday, Riley! Can’t believe he’s seven! That means I’ve been reading your blog for ten years too….where does the time go?

9. JudithNYC on September 2nd, 2012 5:24 am

Happy birthday, Riley!

I love of the photos, but most of all I love the last one where I can see a tiny bit of suspicious baby Riley. (was that the term you used?)

10. Eric's Mommy on September 2nd, 2012 6:03 am

Happy Birthday Riley! I cannot believe he is 7.

11. NancyJ on September 2nd, 2012 6:21 am

Happy Birthday Riley!
    Great pictures – now I’m jealous that you’re boys have each other. Mines a lonely only – but he’s 22 so, oh well!

12. Jen on September 2nd, 2012 6:29 am

I literally just got weepy seeing these photos! I’ve been reading about this sweet little guy since the day he was born and now he’s SEVEN! Such a beautiful boy! Happy 7th Birthday Riley!

13. Samantha on September 2nd, 2012 6:37 am

Oh my gosh, he’s so big! Happy birthday, Riley! Don’t tell anyone, but seven’s one of the best ages to be.

14. Bethany on September 2nd, 2012 7:23 am

Happy Birthday, Riley! I am also blown away by the fact that I’ve been reading you since before you were even pregnant with Riley… time, man.

15. H on September 2nd, 2012 10:21 am

It is amazing how fast they grow up! Riley looks like a “big boy” now. Love the boys’ haircuts!

16. warcrygirl on September 2nd, 2012 10:28 am

Good lord woman, didn’t you just bring him home from the hospital? Happy birthday Riley! Also: He’s looking more and more like your Mini-Me.

17. Redbecca on September 2nd, 2012 11:01 am

Happy birthday Riley! Looks like that was an awesome party!
    Seven! Mine just turned 5 and starts kindergarten on Tuesday. Where the hell has the time gone?

18. Victoria on September 2nd, 2012 11:02 am

Oh crap, the photos at the end made me cry!

19. Joan on September 2nd, 2012 11:36 am

Your kids always look so CLEAN.

20. kendra! on September 2nd, 2012 11:38 am

Handsome as all get out. Descriptors at the beginning are excellent. Realize I’ve been reading your blog for longer than 7 years. That’s a biblically long age!

21. Stacy H-W on September 2nd, 2012 2:21 pm

Happy 7th birthday to Riley!! I can’t believe he is 7 already!! I’m like a few others around here and have followed you since before he was around! Wow time sure flies. Love the buzz cuts!!

22. Kim on September 2nd, 2012 2:30 pm

Linda, my goodness how they’ve grown up so much suddenly. Both so handsome.

23. Maria on September 2nd, 2012 3:27 pm

This whole thing might come out stalker-ish or creepy, but I swear it’s all said with the best intentions (and I’m not a creepy stalker). I’ve been reading this blog for years, though I’ve only commented maybe a handful of times. I just wanted to thank you for keeping things real. It seems like SO MANY blogs out there now are “focusing on the positive” — which seems to mean airbrushing over life to make it seem perfect all the time. And while you’re not doom-and-gloomy or anything, I feel like you address all aspects of life, even the far-from-perfect ones.

AND — I love the birthday pictures because they are absolutely refreshing to see after all the Pinterest-y, party-planner-worthy “kids” birthday parties that are clearly more for the adults’ impressions than the kids’ fun. My husband and I often wonder when kids’ birthday parties veered from, like your pictures show, the low-key, backyard, homemade-cake, family-filled thing of our childhoods to expensive bouncy-house, gourmet-cake, crazy things.

I hope I’m making some sort of sense — honestly, this was all meant to be a compliment, I swear!

24. Linda on September 2nd, 2012 3:31 pm

I know what you mean, Maria — I admire those kinds of parties visually (I even took a peek at Pinterest for Riley’s birthday ideas before quickly realizing That Way Madness Lies), but those will never happen in our family! Hell, it’s stressful enough just being in charge of, like, five balloons. :)

25. Carrie (in MN) on September 2nd, 2012 6:09 pm

Boy I hate to tell you this, but those handsome boys are looking so grown up! When did that happen?

26. Jennifer on September 2nd, 2012 8:00 pm

Your boys are both looking so TAN. I guess that’s what happens when you leave the Seattle gloom for a warmer place with an outdoor pool next door!

Still really happy for you guys. And happy that the trek to the cabin for the birthday party was so easy this year!

27. Emily on September 2nd, 2012 9:33 pm

Awesome. I am a few months away from a 7yo at my house and it’s freaky. He is a handsome devil and I know you are as grateful as I am everyday that you have him in your life. Way to go, Mom!!

28. June on September 2nd, 2012 10:12 pm

Happy birthday! Summer birthdays are the best. In the last picture, I can just see the young man’s face that he will have in another 15 years.

29. Stacy on September 3rd, 2012 1:01 am

So I have honestly only been reading your blog for about three years which is nothing compared to some, however I stumbled on your older blogs and have been reading them up to current for the last few months, (which makes me feel a bit more stalker-y than those people who’ve been reading your blog for longer,) but I feel so close to your family and love seeing the boys getting so big and looking so happy! I just want to let you know that you going after your dream of doing what you love, and living where you dreamed of living, is inspiring to me, so yay for you in this happy time.

30. Samantha on September 3rd, 2012 6:07 am

Happy Birthday Riley. He so handsome and looking so grown up. Love the pics.

31. Deb on September 3rd, 2012 7:31 am

Wow, his face has changed! No more Baby Face in there… And I know I say this every year, but DANG, those boys look SO MUCH like their daddy. Adorable.

32. Melissa on September 3rd, 2012 11:29 am

Oh my goodness. He is now a little man! He is comepletely into the all boy stage. No more little boy about him. Happy Birthday Mr. Riley.

33. Mary Clare on September 4th, 2012 7:18 am

Happy birthday, Riley! Gorgeous kid!Congrats, Linda & JB.

34. Amanda K on September 4th, 2012 7:39 am

Ninjago and Beyblades! Looks like my son’s wish list. :) Happy birthday, Riley! He’s grown up so much!

35. Nicole S on September 4th, 2012 11:14 am

Happy birthday to your handsome boy! My son too is obsessed with Ninjago.

36. Randy on September 4th, 2012 11:21 am

So cute at that age. And you look stunning as well. ;)

37. April G. on September 4th, 2012 3:59 pm

They’re so cute with their buzz cuts! Amazing he is 7. Happy birthday, Riley!

38. stephanie on September 4th, 2012 7:21 pm

OMG cutest picture of the boys together. I love the one of the younger kid (name slipping my mind currently – I’m 43, man, give me a break) looking at Riley. Too cute and a keeper. I remember that suspicious little baby Riley, too. My son, Wyatt, will be seven in November so our boys are close in age. I have enjoyed following your blog for many years because you’re just so real and that’s cool shit. Good for you on the low key birthday. Screw that Pinterest shit. Anyway – thanks for keeping it real.

39. agirlandaboy on September 5th, 2012 10:16 pm

INSAAAAAAAANE. I just pulled out some of the 0-3 baby clothes you sent. Don’t know what’s harder to believe–the Riley and Dylan were once that tiny or that my boys will one day be as big as yours.

40. Amy N on September 6th, 2012 4:22 pm

Backyard parties are the best!! I would love to have a party at that cabin! I am amazed at how much Riley has changed…he is so self-assured and smiley. No hint of the suspicious toddler you once made him out to be :) Congrats mama…on living through it. Mine will be 8 next month and the older one 11 in April. I started reading you when Riley was a baby because he was doing things that reminded me of mine…time does fly!

41. MotherGooseAmy on September 7th, 2012 7:04 pm

Man, they’re handsome!!! Can’t believe how much they’ve grown since I first met them by Googling, “14 month old tantrum.” Happy Birthday Riley!!!

42. Anonymous on October 3rd, 2012 2:40 pm

Been out of the loop for many months. Wowzers, does Riley every look like you :)