I realized that although I bitched and moaned about the carpet padding that ate my soul, I never posted an update on what we did with the sunroom in our new (old) house. Home improvement documentation continuity FAIL!

Things pretty much looked like this when we moved in:

We got rid of all the junk, covered the washer/dryer hookups (and paid a mint to have new ones installed in the garage, because there’s no utility room in the house), tore out the creepy dust-choked plants that were growing here and there, pulled up the carpet, and spent a ridiculous amount of effort removing as much carpet padding as we could.

105

I painted the floor with a porch/patio paint (going right over some of the more stubborn padding residue), put down a rug, bought some patio furniture that was 60% off on Amazon, tossed in a lamp, and voila!

sunroom

It’s not super fancy, and it gets to be about 500000 degrees on a hot sunny day, but it’s wonderful in the cool mornings and evenings. I don’t know how comfortable it will be during the winter, but right now I love it. It’s the perfect place to bring my laptop and a cup of coffee to get some work done, or relax with a magazine at the end of the day.

Plus, it’s great for watching the moonrise.

night

Comments

24 Responses to “Sunroom”

1. Eric's Mommy on September 14th, 2012 5:22 pm

Looks great Linda! My Husband’s Grandparents have a sun porch and it stays warm even in the winter, in the summer it gets super hot, but like you said it is great in the cool mornings and evenings.

2. Mariya on September 14th, 2012 6:04 pm

Wow, that looks awesome! Way to go :-)

3. Karen on September 14th, 2012 6:14 pm

I love that you kept the mottled blue paint on the walls, that looks neat!

4. sarah on September 14th, 2012 6:20 pm

I love it! You all have been hard at work! Thanks for the update.

5. Deb on September 14th, 2012 9:10 pm

You got rid of that awesome pink gourd?

*tsk*

6. Meagan on September 14th, 2012 10:23 pm

That looks fantastic! Did you change the color of the wood walls, or is it just different lighting and contrast with the walls?

7. sooboo on September 15th, 2012 2:25 am

Wow! What an amazing transformation!!! It just goes to show what you can do with some elbow grease, paint and a well placed rug. With the climate in Eugene, I’ll bet you can sit out there most of the year.

8. NancyJ on September 15th, 2012 3:49 am

It looks great!

9. Jeanette on September 15th, 2012 3:58 am

That looks really nice! I would love to have a room like that!

10. Heather on September 15th, 2012 4:07 am

Nice work! Gives me hope for our neglected screened porch.

11. Erin@MommyontheSpot on September 15th, 2012 5:32 am

Looks fantastic! I love your style, too!

12. Anonymous on September 15th, 2012 7:15 am

Looks wonderful and can imagine the feeling of enjoying such a room (I have a screened in porch that I enjoy May-October)
    Sometimes “good enough” is just plain great!

13. Angella on September 15th, 2012 8:11 am

Oh, I love it! Now I want one.

14. velocibadgergirl on September 15th, 2012 9:17 am

The room looks fantastic!

15. Kate on September 15th, 2012 4:09 pm

Beautiful! Have you ever considered opening your own design business? You have a very good eye for this sort of thing.

16. Laura Broder on September 16th, 2012 5:28 am

Wow, Linda, it looks great! Your hard work paid off.

17. April G. on September 16th, 2012 8:34 am

That looks great! I love the stain on the walls.

18. Sally on September 16th, 2012 10:40 am

Ok, that’s annoying me now – what does the sign over the window say? I have embiggened it iPad-wise but I’m still not sure!

19. Linda on September 16th, 2012 12:01 pm

Sally: Whichello, my maiden name. It used to hang at my grandparents’ house in Michigan.

20. Kami on September 16th, 2012 1:47 pm

You’re so damn talented, LOVE it girl.

21. Christina on September 16th, 2012 2:19 pm

I love the photos of your new house. I’m so jealous! I just want to hang out in that sun-room.

22. Randy on September 17th, 2012 8:48 am

Working on and around the house fixing things up and what not is incredibly satisfying work. This looks nice!

23. Amy M. on September 18th, 2012 8:42 am

Looks fantastic! Great job!

24. aviva on October 7th, 2012 6:59 am

Would you come to my house, just to advise me? :) You have such a great eye. The transformation from the first photo to the second is amazing.