I ran away from home. I packed a bag, kissed my goodbyes, and drove to a place where I could relax on my own and poke around as I pleased.

779ca076158611e28bc01231380f28ef_7

aa16ad12158b11e2ace922000a1c9ebd_7

ca209664159411e2a63622000a1d0283_7

1a4518fc15a111e29f481231380fd1fd_7

f56b8f30159f11e2b3f322000a1e8899_7

140e324615a311e29e6f22000a1e8b8a_7

I don’t see any reason why this shouldn’t be a quarterly activity. Do you?

Comments

37 Responses to “Break”

1. chan on October 13th, 2012 8:01 pm

That’s a really lovely picture of you, Linda. You look happy, relaxed, and well rested. Cheers to time away!

2. Courtney on October 13th, 2012 8:16 pm

As long as it doesn’t end up at the bottom of a bottle of bourbon, a la Ashle Judd in… What was that movie? “Divine secrets of the ya ya sisterhood.” I love weekends by myself. It doesn’t mean I don’t love my husband, but man… My favorite sound is SILENCE.

3. meanliving on October 13th, 2012 8:51 pm

Oh, man! Good for you, lady! I will need to know where that (tub) is. Not that I may have to make a break for it soon or anything.

4. Tessa on October 13th, 2012 9:27 pm

Oh, that tub… I want to go to there. Good for you!!

5. honeybecke on October 13th, 2012 9:41 pm

Good on ya! Yes, quarterly…hmmm…you could make your own traditions!

6. ste on October 14th, 2012 4:04 am

My husband and I were watching Date Night. The husband and wife character were having some marital troubles and asked each other what they fantasize about. The husband was quite surprised that his wife’s fantasy was not another man but an escape – it was exactly the kind of thing that you did! Mine isn’t far away from that, either. So glad you did that for yourself.

7. Shannon on October 14th, 2012 5:32 am

I second the tub comment – enjoy it!!!

8. KB on October 14th, 2012 6:07 am

I just finished reading Pull of the Moon a few days ago. I saw your post and thought “she’s channeling her inner Nan.” Nicely done!

9. Erin@MommyontheSpot on October 14th, 2012 6:17 am

I am living vicariously through you! The pics are amazing, and I think it’s awesome that you recharged your batteries.

10. jonniker on October 14th, 2012 6:37 am

Brilliant. You bet your bippy when my baby is old enough, I’m out. Glad you took the time to do it.

11. Eric's Mommy on October 14th, 2012 7:40 am

Nice! Have fun my friend :)

12. NancyJ on October 14th, 2012 9:35 am

Courtney – I could have written that as well.
    KB – Pull of the Moon by Elizabeth Berg – Oh how I’ve felt that way sometimes during my 25 years of marriage (did you know the husband writes a response to Nan in one of Berg’s short story books?).
    Linda – You’re weekend is a wonderful idea. I wish during the early years of our marriage I had thought to do the same. As much as I love my husband and my life, sometimes I just need to get away.

13. marta on October 14th, 2012 11:19 am

What a lovely, lovely picture of you. And all the rest are gorgeous too. There’s nothing like time alone in the blustery, seaside autumn.

14. Melanie on October 14th, 2012 11:33 am

No reason whatsoever! Glad you got some time to yourself – hope it was GRAND!

15. Sarah @ TM2TS on October 14th, 2012 1:04 pm

Sometimes you need a break.
    And for that tub?
    I’d take a break daily ;)

16. Sonia on October 14th, 2012 1:40 pm

Totally. Absolutely, make this a quarterly event.

17. Lisa S. on October 14th, 2012 4:39 pm

I love my life in California, but man, you’re making Oregon seem very alluring. So glad you had the chance to swim in the lake of you for a bit.

18. OR Suz on October 14th, 2012 8:33 pm

You had me at Mo’s.

19. adequatemom on October 14th, 2012 9:55 pm

Jealous. You are living the dream, my friend.

20. Sirena on October 15th, 2012 4:52 am

you looked so relaxed, rested and happy, Linda – looks like your trip is doing you good!

21. H on October 15th, 2012 6:35 am

No question about it – do it.

22. charlene on October 15th, 2012 7:48 am

you need to do this occasionally. I do not see why doing it quartlery would hurt anything.

speaking of that I’m doing this in about 8 weeks. looking forward to it.

23. perl on October 15th, 2012 8:18 am

Whoa. Where is that hotel with that tub? Check out the Overleaf Lodge in Yachats for a future getaway. The (free!!) use of the soaking tub and sauna and stuff in the spa is heavenly.

24. Em on October 15th, 2012 9:39 am

Oh, such a great idea! I hope you returned feeling refreshed.

25. Cindy on October 15th, 2012 10:19 am

Quarterly indeed!

My parents have been married for 45 years. One of the secrets to their long & pretty-happy marriage has always been taking time for themselves. My Dad prefers to hunt and fish with his friends vs. going away solo and my Mom’s “recharge” trips were usually with a couple close gal pals, but they made sure each had time to get the hell out of Dodge while the other stayed home with the kids. Even though we don’t have kids, my husband and I have a similar routine of individual vacations as well as together and it’s great.

26. Lawyerish on October 15th, 2012 10:21 am

Oh, this looks so awesome, and so well-deserved. I absolutely think you must do this on a regularly basis. I go on a yearly weekend getaway with a bunch of moms I know, but I think I am going to use your trip as inspiration to do at least an annual getaway all by myself. The thought of picking some little town, driving there, poking around in shops and buying a stack of books and reading them in a quiet place…ahhhh.

27. Amy N on October 15th, 2012 12:37 pm

Absolutley…if you have the means and can do it…quarterly! I am craving some alone time but circumstances aren’t coming together for me right now. Enjoying the chaos and dreaming of my alone time. Love the cememtery!

28. warcrygirl on October 15th, 2012 2:24 pm

I was really digging the photos of the open road and the beach, then I fell in love with that bathtub. Sweet Jesus, do it for the bathtub!!!

29. Sandy on October 15th, 2012 2:39 pm

Love the pic of you and hurray for mini solo vacations :)

30. Angella on October 15th, 2012 3:30 pm

You look prettier than usual in that photo.

Hooray for getting away!

31. Alyce on October 15th, 2012 5:57 pm

Quarterly at least! Looks lovely. So glad you were able to do this for yourself.

32. Barb Ruess on October 16th, 2012 11:28 am

I am insanely jealous. What a wonderful way to treat yourself!

33. cheryll on October 16th, 2012 7:21 pm

My girls are now almost 32 and 30 and I fondly remember a few times I got to go away for some “me” time many years ago … Though it seems like my husband got more “me” time for himslef thanks to hunting, fishing, etc. (a sentiment I’m sure you can ID with). So, where was the place? Newport? Also, were there any geocaches in the cemetery?

34. Joanne on October 17th, 2012 7:28 am

OH I’m glad you got to go somewhere! I think quarterly is a great plan. Maybe if you plan for quarterly, you could actually achieve it twice a year!

35. Karen on October 22nd, 2012 5:25 pm

I’ve been doing something similar every year for the last five years. I have a countdown app on my phone, and at the end of every trip I reset it to start counting down again. (124 days to go.) (Not that I’m counting.) (Oops, yes I am.)

I think it’s a must-do for every parent.

36. Anais on October 29th, 2012 5:23 am

I will forever love these photos. That cemetery looks so peaceful, yet creepy. The beach looked like part of a dream. Wish I was on that beach right now. Glad you had a fabulous time.

37. Shawna on October 29th, 2012 10:39 am

I’m going to Weetacon for the third time this coming spring. It feels weird to be without my husband and kids, but not in a bad way. I can’t convince the husband to come, by the way, though I’ve tried. He insists I should just go. He went on a trip to France to play hockey last spring, so that was his getaway.