I am going to share a family recipe with you (have I posted this before? I think I have. It’s been over a decade of blogging, you guys, we’re gonna have repeats) and when you read the ingredients you will probably barf yourself to death. I mean, I know. I KNOW. Cinnamon candy. Mayonnaise. Celery. It sounds absolutely horrendous, like some nightmarish Midwestern concoction straight out of Wendy McClure’s Weight Watchers cards.

But I swear, you should totally try making this. It was always part of our Christmas meal when I was a kid, and it’s wonderful. Really! It’s spicy and creamy and crunchy and it looks pretty in a glass dish.

Aunt Eileen’s Jello Salad:

2 cups hot water
2/3 cups cinnamon candies (like Red Hots)
1 large lemon Jello
1.5 cups applesauce
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 c. chopped nuts
1/2 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. mayonnaise

Pour hot water over candies until melted. Add jello and stir in applesauce. Pour 1/2 of mixture into bowl. Chill until set. Blend cream cheese and nuts and celery and mayo. Spread over set mixture. Pour on remaining mix. Chill.

Screen shot 2012-11-15 at 11.03.13 AM

Now, would I lie to you? Would I deliberately steer you wrong? I’m telling you, give it a shot. Although maybe don’t let anyone see you making it.

Unrelated to things that sound super disgusting (BUT ARE AWESOME), what are your favorite must-have recipes for treats and whatnot during the holidays? Are you a fudge person? (Heh.) Chex Mix? Cookies? I’m looking to expand my cooking repertoire/waistline.

Comments

79 Responses to “The Jello salad with candy and mayonnaise”

1. Chris on November 28th, 2012 5:31 pm

Ala Dump

Cool whip, pistachio jello, pineapple and nuts. Nuff said, gross but ridiculously good.

2. mlegreenberg on November 28th, 2012 5:32 pm

A longtime favorite of mine is Crispy Chocolate Bars. You melt 1 bag of semi-sweet chocolate morsels, 1 bag of butterscotch morsels, and 1 cup of peanut butter in a large pot. Once its all melty and intergrated, pull off heat and stir in 1 box of corn flakes – like the 15 oz or so box (easier to mix if you crush them up a bit in the bag first). One all the cereal is coated, you put in a long casserole type dish (13×9 works) and refridgerate until set. Then you leave them out at room temp after that. Sooooo delish and sooo easy.

3. James on November 28th, 2012 5:36 pm

Mayonnaise? Jello? Celery chunks? That’s just nasty.

4. Christine on November 28th, 2012 5:44 pm

That is so extremely gross and so extremely American. The sort of American I didn’t even know existed until my first Thanksgiving here when someone said “Jello salad”. You’ve raised it to new heights, thank you.

Though I have a friend who makes applesauce with red hots in it and it works a treat.

5. Susan on November 28th, 2012 5:44 pm

My grandma’s fruit salad: canned fruit cocktail, maraschino cherries, bananas, apples, walnuts and sour cream, all mixed together. It’s best the day it’s made, because the bananas get, well…questionable, let’s say…as time goes by. Still, it’s quick, easy, and a nice foil to the saltiness of the holiday ham.

6. Jesabes on November 28th, 2012 6:02 pm

I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt the mayo and celery don’t make this completely inedible, but one thing I really, really, really hate is applesauce in jello. I’m gagging just thinking about it. (Also? Pineapple in jello. HORK.)

7. Alley on November 28th, 2012 6:09 pm

Oh man, I saved this recipe the last time you posted it and STILL haven’t tried it. I think I’ll get the stuff to make it this weekend; I’ve been in a food experimenting mood.

As for must-haves, my family has over the past few years gone nuts for this cranberry-jalapeno-cream-cheese stuff (http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2011/12/cranberry-jalapeno-cream-cheese-dip-sugar-rush-reinvented-7.html). I also require pecan pie fudge and monkey bread at this time of year.

8. marilyn on November 28th, 2012 6:09 pm

I love the fall to Christmas tradition of keeping caramel dip in a crock pot (or mini crock pot if you have one and want to be REASONABLE) and apple slices. Caramel apples, but with exactly the caramel to apple ratio your personal preference dictates!

Seriously, check this: http://lifehacker.com/5941290/make-a-no-fuss-caramel-dip-with-a-can-of-condensed-milk-and-a-crock-pot

9. Judy on November 28th, 2012 6:18 pm

We always do this “pink stuff”…you use the hot water for jello…either strawberry or strawberry banana or wild strawberry flavor, but instead of adding the cold water, you stir in a container of frozen strawberries and stir until the strawberries are thawed. Let it gel in the fridge for awhile, then whip in a container of Cool Whip. Sometimes we also slice bananas into it.

10. Cobwebs on November 28th, 2012 6:39 pm

I’d like to blame my rural Nebraskan grandparents for this: Take 1 Tbsp mayonnaise, 2 Tbsp catsup, 2 Tbsp mustard, mix together and serve over broccoli (preferably broccoli that’s been cooked to within an inch of its life). I grew up eating this concoction, and will still occasionally eat it when I need a morale boost, despite the utter disgust it engenders in, well, pretty much everybody. And for good reason. It disgusts even me.

As far as amazeballs things that are easy to make and taste astonishing go, my favorite is Crack Cookies. Recipe here: http://www.shadowmanor.com/blog/?p=16486

11. Tamara on November 28th, 2012 6:51 pm

My mom used to make me Bourbon Balls every year and send them to me. Now that she’s gone, I make them for myself. Here’s the recipe -

12. Jessamyn on November 28th, 2012 7:15 pm

Strawberry pretzel salad! Pretzels, cream cheese, pineapple, cool whip, jello, butter, stawberries. YUM. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/strawberry-pretzel-salad-recipe/index.html

13. Brenda on November 28th, 2012 7:24 pm

Here is our version of Pink Stuff–container of Cool Whip, can of cherry pie filling, can of crushed pineapple, 1/2 cup pecan pieces, and 1 can sweetened condensed milk. Mix together and refrigerate. It’s so healthy ;)

14. Deb on November 28th, 2012 7:25 pm

That is the most disgusting recipe I have ever read ever in the history of ever. Congratulations.

15. Janette on November 28th, 2012 7:30 pm

That does sound disgusting. My family has a similar jello-and-other-shit recipe that is equally as bizarre, but everyone seems to love. I hate it. Flavored Jello should never be considered an ingredient in anything. Anyway, my new rule for this year is that until after Christmas, there must always be some kind of homemade cookie in the house. Like, we bake some cookies, and just before we eat them all, we bake another batch of some other kind of cookie, so there are always delicious cookies on hand at all times.

16. Kami on November 28th, 2012 8:04 pm
  17. Leslie on November 28th, 2012 8:05 pm

We have to have buckeyes and divinity. Also cookies.

18. Kelly on November 28th, 2012 8:11 pm

These: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1835,154179-243202,00.html
    You totally don’t need to heat them up over hot water. We just do it in a big pan on the stove. But you will need to double or triple the recipe because they will vaporize as soon as people taste them.
    When we take them into work or someplace formalish, we call them haystack cookies or something. But our family name for them because the inappropriate Taiwanese Booger Cookies years ago and it just stuck. We’ve had them every year since I was little…Grandma made them and now we do ourselves.

19. Shawna on November 28th, 2012 8:17 pm

We have to have trifle. Sponge cake, raspberry sauce, custard and whipped cream layered together and topped with more whipped cream and fresh raspberries.

*drool*

We also pour sherry (the sweet kind) on the sponge layer on the bottom, but that’s totally optional.

20. Kristen on November 28th, 2012 8:25 pm

I’m certain that is the most horrifying combination of shit ever. Seriously, throwing up at the thought of celery, mayo and jello. I just can’t believe it.

21. Margaret on November 28th, 2012 8:40 pm

You know, I love reading all of these contributions, even the wacky/weird ones, because things like that are personal to each family. And such concoctions probably only exist because a relative needed or wanted to contribute something to a meal and either did not have the money or the time to go shopping and just threw together whatever was left over in the pantry. :)

My family does this odd ambrosia salad with mini-marshmallows, sour cream, canned mandarin orange slices, coconut, and if my aunt makes the salad, she throws in rum raisins. It is utterly bizarre, but it’s a family fixture. Reminds me of my grandma.

22. Val on November 28th, 2012 8:44 pm

In our family it is cranberry relish. I was a recipe from my Dad’s mom, but Mom had to bring it to her side of the family. My brother inhales the stuff. It’s too tart for me.
    You blend frozen “fresh” cranberries 1 lb or so
    2 applies (cored only)
    1 orange – including peel
    blend in 2 batches until slightly less than coarsely ground.
    Mix into large box of prepared jello and add sugar to taste (about 1 c).

23. Melissa on November 28th, 2012 9:33 pm

My grandmother made the same recipe for jello salad, except she used carrots. I didn’t know until a few years ago it had mayo in it!

24. Felicia on November 28th, 2012 9:44 pm

I guarantee a stoner invented that recipe.

25. Feebs on November 28th, 2012 9:53 pm

Ah yes. Jello molds. Brings back memories of browsing this site: http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/jello/index.html
    while quietly convulsing with laughter at work and trying not to snort.

26. JB on November 28th, 2012 9:55 pm

Holy Jesus Christ! That is so pretty but so horrifying.

27. Rachel on November 29th, 2012 12:02 am

My kids look forward to Christmas as much for the flavored English toffee as for the presents, I think. It’s not as simple as yours, but it’s so flipping delicious we can hardly stand it.

Flavored English Toffee:

Cover 9×13 pan with foil, including sides.

For cappuccino flavor:
    Sprinkle pan with less than a teaspoon of instant coffee granules and ½ to ¾ cup finely chopped almonds.
    Add a few coarsely chopped almonds. Set pan aside.

In 2-quart saucepan, melt 1 c butter; add 1 c sugar and 3 T water mixed with 1 t instant coffee. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium high heat, to 290ºF. Pour immediately over chopped almonds.
    Let sit 3-4 minutes; sprinkle with ¾ cup mixed chocolate chips and white chocolate chips. Let sit for a minute or two; spread melted chocolate around on top. Sprinkle ½ to ¾ c chopped almonds over chocolate; press in a bit.

Let cool COMPLETELY (chilling it is good), then remove from foil and break into pieces.

Variations:
    PLAIN (chocolate): Use whatever chopped nuts you want; use only chocolate chips; don’t use any instant coffee. (Plain water in candy mixture.)
    PEANUT BUTTER: Use chopped peanuts in place of chopped almonds; use mixed chocolate chips and peanut butter chips; no instant coffee.
    PEPPERMINT: Add peppermint extract to the water instead of instant coffee. Sprinkle chopped peppermint candy on top. (Sprinkling it in the pan is not so great.) Use all white chocolate chips, and chopped almonds.
    COOKIES AND CREAM: Sprinkle crushed Oreos in the pan and on top; use mixed white and semi-sweet chocolate chips.

28. Rachel on November 29th, 2012 12:14 am

PS the dessert my grandmother used to always make was jello mixed (with beaters) with cool-whip and sometimes… coconut? mayonnaise?… I can’t quite place what the textural elements were. Oh how I loved that dessert. I would probably still eat more than my share if she made it this year.

29. Jo on November 29th, 2012 3:38 am

These comments are cracking me up. I have to agree. I love you, but that sounds absolutely horrendous. The only thing that could make it worse is if you threw in some frozen prawns.

30. Marieke on November 29th, 2012 5:51 am

My mom used to make an awesome seventies dish called ambrosia: pistachio pudding mix, cool whip, mini marshmallows, canned mandarin. And maybe nuts? So good!
    My go to recipe for fancy christmas brunch: an awesome citrus salad with mint that I found on epicurious: section grapefruits and oranges (cutting away the skin deep enough to get the peel, and then cutting out the little triangles. This is a little time consuming but can be done in advance) Then take 1/2 cup washed and dried mint leaves and 1/4 cup sugar and blitz in processor until all crumbly. Mix and enjoy!

31. Ris on November 29th, 2012 6:53 am

One thing that seems to be popular in the south (and is pretty good, although it sounds gross and looks gross) is a log or brick of cream cheese with a chutney or salsa poured over it. You eat it with crackers. It’s super healthy.

32. Deanna on November 29th, 2012 6:55 am

1. *YOUR* pumpkin chocolate chip muffin recipe is a constant from oct through dec. I make it as mini muffins, jumbo muffins, bread, teacher gifts, etc. Better chips make better muffins. Gheridelli (sp?) are my faves.

2. My neighbor gave me a box of Trader Joe’s Rosemary Raisin Crisps and wow! And thanks to pinterest I found this: http://pinterest.com/pin/274086327293696411/ . It makes 2 small loves (I used my big loaf pan at thanksgiving and the center was raw). I have not mastered making it into crackers. I just love it with cheese – brie, goat, cream are my faves with this – toasted or not. Hubby teased me it was an updated unsweet fruitcake. I have made variations. Currently eating: double rosemary (should I admit to carrying scissors in my car and flinching rosemary from my dr office, school and grocery store parking lots?), raisin, double pecan, no seeds (because i ran out). Still is awesome!

3. homemade chocolate syrup to make hot chocolate with. I use the easy recipe from the Tightwad Gazette from years ago.
    1/2 cup cocoa
    1 cup water
    2 cups sugar
    1/8 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp vanilla

I will double it and keep in recycled squeeze bottles (ketchup, jelly etc). But this stuff boils over super fast so if you make it, keep an eye on that.

33. Lori on November 29th, 2012 7:27 am

Mom always made these cookies around Christmas time. My kids love them, but it’s one cookie I’ve never let them help me make b/c I know they wouldn’t eat it if they saw the ingredients.

34. Lori on November 29th, 2012 7:29 am

Hmmm…The link isn’t going through. Let me try again…Date Nut Balls “http://www.food.com/recipe/date-nut-balls-272882″

35. cagey (Kelli Oliver George) on November 29th, 2012 7:42 am

My Great Aunt Joan always made this weird cranberry salad with real whipped cream, grapes, marshmallows and pecans. I love it so hard, I don’t mind the mouthsores (wait. That sounded dirty)

Anyway! Now, it is a tradition for us and my kiddos love watching the magic that is REAL whipped cream:

36. Emily on November 29th, 2012 8:06 am

We have drinking custard. Milk, eggs, sugar all cooked really low so the eggs don’t curdle. Similar to egg nog but it’s not.It’s milder. You can chill it until it gets the little ice crystals in it. So good! Dip some frosted sugar cookies or ginger snaps in it too.

37. Jan Ross on November 29th, 2012 8:28 am

Heath Bar Cake (or more commonly known as Better than Sex Cake in our family) Bake a box chocolate cake (or any flavor, really) While still hot, poke holes all over it. Pour over the top of the cake a jar of butterscotch or caramel ice cream topping and one can of sweetened condensed milk. Top with a container of cool whip and four Heath bars you have frozen and crunched up. The longer it sits the gooshier it is and the better it tastes. Fabulous!

38. Redbecca on November 29th, 2012 8:48 am

I am 11 weeks pregnant and nearly horked on my keyboard reading that ingredient list. Blech! NOT going to be trying that anytime soon, since even the thought of chicken makes me want to barf right now.

I am absolutely NOT a cook. That being said, I have one or two staples I trot out for parties this time of year.

Yummy easy fruit dip:

- 1 package of plain cream cheese (FF/reduced fat/regular your choice), softened
    - 1/2 cup (packed) brown sugar
    - Add chopped nuts, your choice (half of a 8oz bag of walnuts or pecans are best, I find). Use more or less as is your preference.

Blend until well mixed. Serve with fruit. If you get finely chopped nuts it also works really well as a bagel spread or as a filling between shortbread cookies. Some folks like to add sour cream and vanilla extract, but they aren’t really necessary.

In terms of wacky food traditions…I come from a family of really boring cooks. Seriously, my mom may be the most boring cook on the planet. Part of the reason I’ve never been big into cooking. Thank God my husband likes to do it or we’d starve.

My mother in law makes a layered angel food cake covered in a mixture made of ricotta cheese, cool whip, and cherry pie filling, with lemon pie filling between the layers (lemon pie filling version is optional – sometimes we just use more of the ricotta mixture, which I guess is technically called “trifle”). It is then decorated with maraschino cherries and sometimes blueberries or strawberries or other small fruit. It is really tasty and we all inhale it and then go back for seconds. The cake rarely survives the first night.

39. Maggie on November 29th, 2012 8:56 am

SOrry to say, but I am not a jello salad person and that sounds truly disgusting. My Nana has about a million jello salad recipes that she always makes me eat. Blech!

No holiday at my house would be complete without Peanut Butter Blossoms. May or may not have been eaten for breakfast on a few occasions ;)

40. Halyn on November 29th, 2012 9:34 am

Our family’s version of Pink Salad is just cherry jello, refrigerated until soft set, then mix in cottage cheese and allow to set fully before eating. I know, I know. Sounds hideous. But I LOVE it, and if the holidays pass without Pink salad putting in an appearance, I feel cheated.
    We’ve also done the sour cream, canned mandarins and coconut thing, usually with a half can to a full can condensed milk added in , and sometimes a can of cherry pie filling.
    To make up for these awful white trash recipes (but seriously, SO GOOD) my grandmother makes the best peanut butter fudge you’ve ever had. I’ll have to revisit this thread at home to post the recipe.

41. Cass on November 29th, 2012 9:40 am

Oh, I am having a hard time believing that anything that combines jello and mayonnaise can be good. And then throw some candy and applesauce in there? It’s not right.

42. NancyJ on November 29th, 2012 10:06 am

My mother made a jello salad that we all loved. It was red Jello and it had celery and chopped walnuts and small balls of CREAM CHEESE. It was such a tasty combination – totally worked! I’ll have to see if anyone has that one.

43. Laura M. on November 29th, 2012 10:17 am

I will totally try this recipe out. Mayo don’t scare me! :D

I don’t remember a ton of recurring foods from childhood or adult holidays. I guess we like to mix it up. We did do Rum Dots (read: balls). Make them a few weeks ahead and store in ziplocs. They get even rum-yer.
    Also kolatcky. (Pronounced cole-lah-chkey) My grama makes the thumbprint style. I like poppyseed best. http://www.food.com/recipe/Czech-Pastry-Call-Kolacky-161232
    I also love the Winning Hearts and Minds cake from Orangette. So simple, so good. Makes me feel like a french woman. http://orangette.blogspot.com/2004/08/and-then-cake-came-forth.html

Feebs – The jello site was so interesting! I have been watching too much Downton Abbey and was all “Oooh! A footman!”

44. Melissa on November 29th, 2012 10:20 am

Angel Salad

flaked sweetened coconut
    mini marshmallows
    sour cream
    drained mandarin oranges
    drained diced pineapple

measurements are completely up to you. 1 can of each fruit feeds 4-6.. Make sure to chill before serving. This is a work potluck favorite. It’s quick, cheap and makes a lot.

45. Amelia on November 29th, 2012 10:32 am

We always have rum cake, which is pretty simple: yellow cake mix, box of instant vanilla pudding mix, the requisite number of eggs per the box, the requisite oil per the box, and a cup or so of rum. Baked in a bundt pan. Then, a rum glaze: rum & sugar, cooked over medium heat until bubbly. Poke holes in the cake and soak it with the rum glaze. I simply love it.

46. Cindy on November 29th, 2012 10:44 am

Fake Almond Roca cookies. Simple as hell and just the right amount of salty/sugary goodness.

47. Randy on November 29th, 2012 12:03 pm

Does it have to be mayo or does miracle whip work? I have some folks that refuse to eat mayo, but for some reason miracle whip is fine. Whatever!

48. Katie on November 29th, 2012 12:06 pm

This time of year, it’s all about the Monkey Bread in my family. We always have it on Thanksgiving and Christmas, and I try to have it on at least one of those days when I don’t go home (I have canned biscuits in my fridge right now since I didn’t make in on Thanksgiving).

Other than that my family ALWAYS makes cookies. A long running favorite is “Andy’s Bars” these peanut butter chocolate bars that are heavenly. They are a concoction of crunchy PB, graham crackers, margarine, and melted chocolate … SO GOOD!

I also really like my aunt’s brocolli/spinach/cheese casserole: frozen chopped brocolli and spinach, grated cheddar cheese, sour cream, and lipton onion soup mix. Cook the greens, mix the above (cheese & sour cream can be varied to taste — last time I used about 1 cup of each, but it could have used more), and top with another cup or more of cheddar cheese. Bake at 350* until bubbly. Heaven in a dish … makes great leftovers, and if you use less cheese/sour cream it can be “healthy”. I may even try it with greek yogurt one of these days.

49. Jenny on November 29th, 2012 12:12 pm

MY VERY FAVE weird-o recipe is hot dog casserole. It involves a whole pack of hot dogs, elbow macaroni, relish, cream of celery soup, and yellow mustard. If any others are interested, I would be THRILLED to share this love. SO GOOD – actually, I am getting hungry thinking of it. Does.Not.Disappoint.

50. Janet on November 29th, 2012 12:38 pm

Jenny, I’m intrested. It sounds just gross enough that my daughters would probably love it.

51. Em on November 29th, 2012 12:47 pm

TACO DIP!!

Also, my mom always makes a varation of these:

Love. You can’t go wrong with a cup of butter and chocolate chips.

52. Sarah on November 29th, 2012 1:32 pm

Try the jello with a can of fruit cocktail. (keep the juice separate). Make a sauce with the left over juice/mayo/cream and sugar. (when serving the jello, add the sauce)

53. Maggie on November 29th, 2012 1:43 pm

Oh god, just when I thought it could not be any more frightening, Jo goes and mentions the horror of adding prawns. It’s lunch time here, but strangely am now not hungry…

Your CC pumpkin muffins, however, are delicious. Make them early and often, not just this time of year either.

54. Gretchen in HB on November 29th, 2012 2:02 pm

What
    The
    Fawk
    Is
    This?!?!?!?

Sounds horrible! It might be delicious, but I really don’t know if I can convince myself to even TRY and make this! Kudos to you for being so food-brave!

55. Sirena on November 29th, 2012 2:51 pm

I definitely can’t venture down this road into non-food categories that also sound horrifying (the cool whip-pistachio jello comment above doesn’t count, it’s non-food, sounds great) but i love the comment that included their cereal and chocolate combo as if it’s the same thing! it’s just not – not unless celery and cinnamon candies are melted together into that too.

Can someone report back if they’ve made this and it is somehow different than I imagine it would be? Brave souls?

56. Amy on November 29th, 2012 3:03 pm

My mom, aunt & grandmother all make these crazy spicy oil-soaked saltines. I don’t know how else to describe them but they’re delicious and a good thing to have laying around if you want something savory while you’re grazing on fudge and other sweets. I’ll email you the recipe.

57. Diane on November 29th, 2012 3:46 pm

My family’s jello mold: Lemon jello with shredded carrots and crushed pineapple. Topped with a dressing made from Miracle Whip salad dressing with added sugar and cider vinegar. It actually tasted better than it sounds.

58. Nichole on November 29th, 2012 5:14 pm

You’re absolutely right. That list of ingredients killed me to death.

59. goingloopy on November 29th, 2012 6:12 pm

Those little Christmas tree shaped pretzels with slightly melted Rolos squished on top of them. They were included in an assortment of goodies my boss and his wife made and told me to share with my significant other. Not one of them lasted past lunchtime.

60. sooboo on November 29th, 2012 6:55 pm

I love reading everyone’s responses. Maybe I’ll try your recipe while pretending I’m a mad scientist whipping up poison for my evil nemesis, though it might be so crazy, that it’s delicious. I actually like all the ingredients. My MIL is Swedish so I look forward to a typical Swedish smorgasbord (pickled herring, smoked salmon, meatballs, Princess cake and Jansson’s Temptation which is a delish potato casserole). My mom used to make chocolate chip, meringue cookies sometimes dyed Christmas colors. Last year I made the discontinued Carnation breakfast bars (anyone remember those from the 80’s)? I realized that we grew up eating what is basically candy bars for breakfast but they now seem like a Christmas tradition.

61. Kate on November 29th, 2012 7:27 pm

This Russian dish is a cold salad that makes it to my family’s table no matter what the occasion. Cooked chicken breast, boiled potatoes, hard boiled eggs, pickles and canned peas in any ratio you prefer, chopped to similarly sized chunks and coated in a mayo/sour cream combo (again, any ratio you prefer). My grandmother would often swap out the chicken breast for whatever meat she had – brisket, ham, even Spam once, so it’s very flexible (I don’t recommend that Spam variation, though).

62. Sarah on November 29th, 2012 7:38 pm

That looks, um, amazing?! Probably would go well with our summer Christmas dishes… And I don’t think we have cinnamon candy here.
    On an unrelated note – not sure if you know that a photo of you is on an Australian newspaper baby site,
    Photo number 4! Thought it was strange to see Dylan on my local newspaper homepage..

63. H on November 29th, 2012 7:49 pm

We always have decorated sugar cookies, lefse (with butter and brown sugar) and krumkake. Our snacks always include Chex Mix and a late Christmas Eve (and New Year’s Eve!) snack of Julio’s Dip and margaritas. Julio’s dip is a dip served with tortilla chips. To make it layer the following:
    1 lb. extra lean ground chuck, browned
    1 can refried beans
    jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
    onion, finely chopped
    salt, pepper, chili powder to taste
    shredded cheese (cheddar or mexican blend)
    prepared taco sauce
    Bake at 350 til hot and bubbly and the cheese is melted (20-30 min)

64. Lesley on November 29th, 2012 8:22 pm

Puke salad.

Oh, it once probably had a different name, but this is what it came to be called, because of it’s looks. You can imagine.

Make lime jello with the hot but not the cold water. Add a package of cream cheese, a can of crushed pineapple, juice and all, a bunch of diced celery, and a bunch of chopped pecans. Stir (more puke-y if you leave some chunks of cream cheese un-melted), and pour into a clear dish to set up.

65. April G. on November 29th, 2012 9:27 pm

I used to work with a Mormon woman who would make Pink Salad for potlucks. It was pink jello with cottage cheese and I’m not sure what else. Sometimes she would make Funeral Potatoes instead. Man, those were good.

No one in my family made jello salads, but I love them. I think I’ll start my own Christmas tradition this year. I’m getting some good/horrifying ideas from these comments!

66. Kim on November 30th, 2012 7:23 am

Having lived in the south for so long now, I’ve gotten used to people considering macaroni & cheese a vegetable & also turning actual vegetables into fatty, cheesy (and delish) casseroles so nothing much scares me anymore. I’m going to make this to bring to an upcoming potluck and take great pleasure in telling people the ingredients when they inevitably ask.

67. Cindy on November 30th, 2012 9:59 am

I should also add, I’m Norwegian. We eat lutefisk. Nothing scares me.

68. caleal on November 30th, 2012 1:33 pm

It’s funny to me how so many people are flipping out about this, when mayo itself is really just eggs and oil… which exists in pretty much every baked good ever in life.
    The celery, though, I don’t. I’ve got no justification for that one. Doesn’t really taste like anything, I guess?

69. Kris on November 30th, 2012 2:21 pm

Never in all of my life have I ever been so happy to be allergic to cinnamon.

(It actually doesn’t look that bad. I thought you mixed EVERYTHING together at once; which, no offense, but yuck. But it just sounds like layered jello to me – the kind you pay about $8.00 for at the hoighty toighty grocery stores.)

I loves me some peanut butter balls. And haystacks (chocolate covered chow mein noodles with peanuts and/or marshmallows). And white chocolate covered pretzels sprinkled with red/green decorator’s sugar.

And oh jeezus. Have you ever tried melting a bag of Andes mint chips with just a tiny dollop of Crisco shortening; then dip Ritz crackers in it until coated? Let cool, then store in freezer between wax paper layers. Tastes SO much like thin mint Girl Scout cookies.

70. Artemisia on November 30th, 2012 4:19 pm

Frog-Eyed Salad.

Jesus, the name. And it sounds gross but is good. It requires this itty bitty pasta that resemble frog eyes, apparently.

The recipe can be found here: http://nanasrecipebox.blogspot.com/2010/08/cini-de-pepe-salad-frog-eye-salad.html

1 package A Cini De Pepe pasta (16 oz.)
    1 cup sugar
    2 Tablespoons flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 3/4 cup pineapple juice (use juice from pineapple)
    3 cans (11 oz.) Mandarin oranges, drained
    2 cups mini marshmallows
    1 carton (9 oz.) Cool Whip
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 Tablespoon lemon juice
    2 cans (20 oz.) pineapple tidbits, drained
    1 can (20 oz.) crushed pineapple, drained

71. Erica on November 30th, 2012 8:32 pm

@Jo: Hahahaha–frozen prawns!

(I have to agree, though…that sounds rather amazingly terrifying. But hooray for family traditions!)

72. Karen on November 30th, 2012 11:43 pm

My mother used to make a jello salad that I realize I have never duplicated! As I recall it was lime jello filled with lots of veggies such as grated carrots, celery slices, not sure what else, I think maybe mandarin slices, and for kicks she used to use ginger ale instead of the cold water. It was a weird fizzy garden fresh thing going on, but somehow worked with the turkey. You’ve inspired me to track down the recipe!

73. jodie on December 1st, 2012 7:30 pm

Omg. That is the craziest recipe I’ve ever read. But I have to try it! We always have pickle wraps at family events – sliced deli ham spread with cream cheese, wrapped around a whole dill pickle. Slice into disks and done. They dont last very long, so good!

74. Karen on December 2nd, 2012 6:25 pm

Dude, I MADE this salad after reading about it on your blog a couple of years ago. I totally love most things you suggest on here so I went into this recipe blindly assuming that you would not steer me wrong. I ended up having to pay the kids in the family a buck each to eat it. But then again, like someone else commented, I have never been a jello salad girl.

75. Judy on December 3rd, 2012 7:15 am

I have to admit kind of choking on some of these. I used to make this ambrosia with canned mandarin oranges, pineapple tidbits, coconut, sour cream and mini marshmallows.

One my grandma used to make…chop up apples and celery, then mix together peanut butter and mayonnaise and some sugar, I don’t know how much, just keep tasting it and add a little more of what it seems to be missing. I also put cinnamon in it. Mix that with the apples, celery, and some chopped nuts. Wonderful.

A good main dish…mix together one bottle of Russian dressing (the red kind), a jar of apricot preserves, and one package of dry onion soup mix, spoon it over chicken pieces on a baking sheet, and bake for about 45 minutes. Baste occasionally.

76. Judy on December 3rd, 2012 7:16 am

Oh yeah, the best deviled eggs in the world..mix the yolks with sandwich spread, vinegar and sugar. Again, taste it and add more of one thing or the other. Delicious.

77. Tina on December 6th, 2012 5:38 pm

Yeah, I’ll skip the mayo in any desert! Cajun Pretzels are my favorite snack to make.

78. Marika on December 6th, 2012 8:22 pm

Are you legally allowed to call this a salad? Isn’t there a requirement for it to include something green?

79. Susan on December 12th, 2012 8:27 am

That is a quintessential “Mddle America” recipe. I grew up on stuff like that, so even the bizarre list of ingredients has no effect on me. I’m definitely going to give this one a shot (I bet once I taste it, I’ll say, “Ohhhh…Ma made this for Christmas in 1989!” ;-)