I was worried, a little, after the parent teacher conference we had about Riley in November. Maybe even a lot sometimes. I don’t really expect my children to excel in school, I just want them to be happy. My greatest hope is that they enjoy the experience of school, and that they make friends. I fretted about his teacher’s observation that he was having some social challenges. We talked and talked about it — despite his visible discomfort — but I wasn’t sure if things had improved.

This week he came home with his first report card. It said he’s making solid progress in reading, and tests right at grade level. His reading comprehension is excellent, he shows strong math skills, and thrillingly, he loves writing.

But here’s the part that brought tears to my eyes:

Riley has many friends at school. In the fall he did not have the skills he needed to talk to other children, which resulted in some “tattling” and hurt feelings. I am happy to report that he is able to calm himself, see those things from the other person’s perspective, and work with other children to resolve their differences.

Riley’s work habits make him a model student. The other children follow his quiet lead. He is a sensitive and caring boy who really enjoys school.

What is there to say, except that I am so proud of him. And so, so happy to hear things are going well.

Comments

34 Responses to “Proud”

1. Melissa on February 5th, 2013 2:41 pm

Hooray! I can only imagine how absolutely huge your heart felt when you read this!! So awesome.

2. Kelly on February 5th, 2013 2:43 pm

Wow! That is a keeper. Congrats to all of you!

3. Rachel Delaurier on February 5th, 2013 2:46 pm

What an insightful and honest remark from his teacher. I find I have to pull that info out of some of my kids’ teachers. This one’s a keeper. Stay with her, she sounds wonderful.

4. Mariya on February 5th, 2013 2:46 pm

That would make any Mother beam! What amazing feedback to get :) Give that little dude a big hug and a high five!

5. Randy on February 5th, 2013 2:56 pm

Can you say scrapbook?

6. JudithNYC on February 5th, 2013 3:16 pm

“The other children follow his quiet lead.”

The whole report card and teacher’s comment is amazing but the above sentence had me yelling “YEAH!”

Congratulations, Riley and mom.

7. melanie on February 5th, 2013 3:27 pm

What a fantastic report!

8. nonsoccermom on February 5th, 2013 3:30 pm

Woo! How terrific! That is so great.

9. wordygirl on February 5th, 2013 4:31 pm

Way to go, Riley! Yay!

10. Connie on February 5th, 2013 4:41 pm

Shoot- I am not even a parent and this made me cry like a baby. Go Riley!

11. Penne on February 5th, 2013 4:48 pm

Ice cream for dinner!

12. Sonia on February 5th, 2013 6:43 pm

Way to go Riley!

13. sooboo on February 5th, 2013 7:07 pm

Go Riley! Wow, that teacher has a nice turn of phrase.

14. Cara on February 5th, 2013 9:14 pm

That’s fantastic news! Ya know what kind of feedback my first grader gets on his report card? Just a collection of 3’s and 4’s and S for “satisfactory” or E for “excellent”. It’s wonderful that your teacher takes the time to write such thoughtful comments.

15. Sarah on February 6th, 2013 6:02 am

I’m proud for you! What an awesome review!! Way to go, Riley!

16. Alison on February 6th, 2013 6:38 am

What wonderful words to hear about your boy. Our oldest (5) is having trouble in preschool right now. He’s not quiet like yours, far from it in fact. We meet with his teachers on Monday in hopes to find a plan to make things better for him. I was so happy to read this, it gives me hope!

17. Callie on February 6th, 2013 7:21 am

As mom of a boy who sounds a lot like Riley, I am excited for you and would love to know what those conersations with him consisted of. :)

18. June on February 6th, 2013 7:33 am

Aww, hooray! What wonderful news.

19. joaaanna on February 6th, 2013 7:51 am

How wonderful!~ What great news to rest your mind.

20. H on February 6th, 2013 8:22 am

I’m so happy for all of you!

21. Angella on February 6th, 2013 8:28 am

Aw, I got teary. That’s the best thing to hear. xo

22. ememby on February 6th, 2013 8:36 am

That is definitely a kid to be proud of!

23. sarah on February 6th, 2013 9:09 am

Why does my chest feel puffed up proud about a boy I don’t know?? :) Such an awesome, awesome thing! So happy for your mama heart to and even more happy for him!

24. KeraLinnea on February 6th, 2013 9:36 am

Oh, yay Riley!! He must have worked so hard on his social stuff. What a great kid! You deserve every bit of pride that you feel for him, Linda.

25. Randy on February 6th, 2013 11:41 am

Hope he doesn’t have any imaginary hand grenades.

26. Redbecca on February 6th, 2013 3:33 pm

That’s so great, Linda! Isn’t it amazing what just a few months can do for a kid’s development?

27. deanna on February 6th, 2013 5:49 pm

this is AWESOME. way to go riley, and way to go mom and dad!! :)

28. Julia on February 6th, 2013 5:53 pm

wow, what a lovely comment. keep in mind that they are still growing and learning and you’ll see improvement as they do so. The news in the fall is generally followed with improvement — he’s a gem :)

29. Alice on February 6th, 2013 5:54 pm

*weep*

30. Lisa on February 10th, 2013 6:23 pm

Yay! I’ve always been amazed at the things you post about Riley, he sounds so, so much like my own son, right down to the worries and concerns you’ve shared. I can say, it really does turn out O.K. Mine is a freshman and for the 10th year now we’ve heard exactly what you’ve posted: quiet leadership, great work habits, lots of friends. Other worries will come and go, but you’ve got a great kid there. :) Good work mama!

31. Jill on February 14th, 2013 7:31 pm

I have saud before our sons are a lot a like. But I had the exact conference in Nov. and it really hit me. As a teacher I had been there before, but on the other side of the table. We have hit our stride too and I celebrate it like it’s an Olympic medal.

32. Jill on February 14th, 2013 7:32 pm

*said, alike* =tired mama

33. brautjungfernkleider on April 26th, 2013 11:30 pm

Usually in the wedding ceremony, the couple will wear the dress as maid of honor accompany the bride around, in order to better harmonization with the new best and wearing a dress or formal dresses. The wedding ceremony, the bride usually at least will choose two sets of Western and Chinese dress, there will be more festive red color.Bridesmaid generally only need a dress on it, style to be generous, not cumbersome.The color of the bridesmaid dresses should not choose red and black

34. computers for sale on May 6th, 2013 11:19 am

Heya i am for the primary time here. I found this board and I to find It really useful &
    it helped me out a lot. I hope to provide one thing back and aid others such as you helped me.