Look, I’m not saying things are perfect. But they’ve goddamned well improved.

July 2009:

March 2013:

22 Responses to “How road trips have changed”

1. Pete on March 27th, 2013 10:31 pm

My definition of a great road trip was the kids watching DVD’s with head phones, my wife listening to a book-on-tape with head phones and me driving and enjoying the peace. Hell is 3600 miles of three Pokemon tapes on the speakers.

2. sooboo on March 27th, 2013 10:37 pm

Riley singing, beat on the brat with a baseball bat oh yeah! I actually did lol!

3. Auntie G on March 28th, 2013 6:17 am

Okay. It will get better. I…can hang in there. :)

4. Annie on March 28th, 2013 6:29 am

McDonalds food is not SNACKS !!!

(sorry couldn’t help myself)

5. melanie on March 28th, 2013 6:32 am

lol love it… mine are nearly 8 and 5 and road trips have gotten SO very much better indeed.

6. Kim Hartman on March 28th, 2013 6:50 am

Now you are talking. song of choice is magical.

7. Cristi on March 28th, 2013 8:12 am

Oh man this makes me feel so much better about our upcoming trip from OK to GA and back with two kids aged 6 and 4. I’ve been fretting about it recently.

8. Kate on March 28th, 2013 8:35 am

This is awesome. And your husband’s scream and your giggling in the 2009 video are precious.

For previous commenter Annie – you cannot be serious. I’m hoping there is some reference or inside joke I’m missing. Otherwise this is just judgmental douchery.

9. Joey Ramone on March 28th, 2013 9:13 am

Lady, if you’ve taught two little kids to love the Ramones, you have automatically undone almost any past or future parental mistakes.

10. dorrie on March 28th, 2013 9:34 am

11. pdxhadey on March 28th, 2013 9:47 am

Wow, that 2009 video makes me have serious flashbacks and anxiety. My kids are still only 3 1/2 and 5 1/2, but it’s already SO MUCH better than when anything longer than a 20 minute car ride induced tears of rage and frustration in all of us.

12. Lindsay on March 28th, 2013 10:34 am

Jealous. I have a two year old daughter!

13. Faith on March 28th, 2013 11:31 am

For previous commenter Kate – TOTALLY an inside joke! Some troll from cafemom decided to lecture Linda on how waffles are not snacks awhile back. Now it’s just a joke. I don’t know if you’ll ever see this, but didn’t want to leave you in the dark!

14. Kate on March 28th, 2013 2:46 pm

I checked back in Faith – thank you! I love Linda’s writing so much, I was feeling that weird defensiveness you do for someone you want to keep telling their stories. Sorry Annie!

15. Donna on March 28th, 2013 5:06 pm

Yes, I well remember those days of screaming kids driving FORever and coming home more stressed than when I left…..it comes to me in recurring nightmares, lol!
    Now I am taking THEIR screaming kids on road trips, what was I thinking?
    I was thinking we have a blast anyway~

16. Melissa on March 28th, 2013 5:48 pm

We’re doing a four hour drive tomorrow for a Mariners pre-season game on Saturday. I just told the kids, “Get your Kindles and iPod on the chargers!”

17. Alyson on March 28th, 2013 6:56 pm

You are giving your children an EXCELLENT musical education. Don’t forget the unit on 80’s power ballads.

18. Kelly on March 28th, 2013 7:04 pm

I might have made a super-sexy snorting sound from laughing so hard. :) Awesome.

19. Taryn on March 31st, 2013 8:01 am

yay for singing to the Ramones!

20. Claudia on March 31st, 2013 8:34 am

My kids love that song. :)

21. Annie on April 1st, 2013 10:44 am

Kate-Thanks for defending Linda
    Faith-Thanks for defending me, and explaining.

22. sarah on May 3rd, 2013 9:15 am

I have to chime in to say that EVERYTHING changes when your kids get music. My son is 2 & likes “drums.” Could be Wrecking Ball by Springsteen, I Want You to Want Me, that one Led Zepplin song that I don’t know the name of… Love the 2009 “making the best of it” video, especially Dylan’s confused, trying to be amused expression.