As promised, I’m here to let you know that my Stories from the Bright Side video is live and if you want to see me wearing, like, an inch-thick layer of makeup while telling a disgusting story about hotdogs, I’m currently the second blogger in this reel, listed amusingly as The Sundry Morning. Or you can watch it here:

Well! I … yeah. I’d sure like to go back in time and re-think that sweater. Also that line at the beginning, “Luckily I have a team of improv actors…” was the only scripted part and I can’t tell you how many times I said it all messed up. “Shuckily, I … fuck. Luckily I have a feam … shit.” Etc.

I sort of wish they’d picked one of the other bits, because there was this whole thing where the improv folks riffed off the fact that I said something about my “intimate relationship with hotdogs” (OMG, SELF) and there was a skit with a guy pretending to be on a date when his smothering ex the hotdog calls, and it was kind of really inappropriately hilarious and maybe the inevitable R-rating is why they went with something else?

Anyway. Happy Family paid me to come out and do the video and it’s part of my contract to publish it for you. They didn’t ask me to talk about their products, but they did send me a little gift box as a thank you, and no kidding, their stuff is really good. If I were still in the business of feeding babies, I’d have been all over their meal pouches and snacks. They also have these pouches for non-baby humans called Happy Squeezes (heh), and let me tell you, they’re downright amazing in a smoothie. I don’t know if that’s an officially recommended eating option, but thumbs up from your pal The Sundry Morning.

My thanks to Happy Family for the fun/terrifying experience. They’re running a contest as part of the campaign with a $20K prize, so check it out and submit your own super-awkward video!

Comments

50 Responses to “Happy Family video”

1. Julie on June 24th, 2013 10:28 am

Heh, pantomimed barfing is a whole lot funnier than actual barfing, and I agree, cleaning puke out of a carseat is the worst.

2. Amber on June 24th, 2013 10:50 am

OH HONEY, YOU DID SO GOOD.

I don’t know why I felt the need to say that like a mom would. But really, it was not at all cringe-worthy! You did about 1 billion times better than I would have. (I would have curled into the fetal position and sobbed the second the cameras were on me. By that standard, you should expect an Emmy or something any day now.)

3. Honeybecke on June 24th, 2013 10:52 am

You know you actually did a great job!! You were natural and personable and funny! Don’t be so hard on yourself Linda! We love you!

4. Ginger on June 24th, 2013 10:54 am

5. Katharine on June 24th, 2013 11:20 am

I thought you did super. I honestly would have had no idea you were nervous or feeling weird about it unless I’d read your prior post.

Plus, it’s a pleasure to finally see you move and speak. I’ve been reading your blog and looking at your pictures for something like four years, and knowing now what your voice sounds like is pretty cool.

Wow, that seems super-creepy, now that I’ve typed it. [whistles, waits for someone to change the subject]

6. Elizabeth on June 24th, 2013 11:52 am

You were great and not awkward at all! The whole skit was hilarious.

7. Kris on June 24th, 2013 12:11 pm

You TOTALLY remind me of Kristin Wiig in Bridesmaids!

And yeah, I never would have known you were nervous – you seem really composed in the video. Love it! And yay for leaping out of your comfort zone, too!

8. Kristin on June 24th, 2013 12:41 pm

I thought it was really good! I agree with everyone else. Wouldn’t have known you were nervous, if you hadn’t told us.

9. Angella on June 24th, 2013 1:05 pm

I already told you this, but you looked adorable.

I saw you called The Sundry Morning and wondered how that happened, exactly.

xo

10. Meg on June 24th, 2013 1:08 pm

You did fine! So brave! And you look totally normal, like you do this every day. … Meanwhile, does that jingle give anyone else an uncontrollable urge to run outside and look for an ice cream truck?

11. April on June 24th, 2013 1:16 pm

Aw, I think you did great!!

12. Mary on June 24th, 2013 1:26 pm

Oh, Happy Family! I know them. My toddler loves their pouches. They’re a bit over priced – I mean, I feel dumb for paying that much for four tablespoons of spinach/apple/whatever puree that I could make in a juicer in 2 seconds. But she’d never eat it without the squeezy pouch. She’s is CRAZY about the squeezy pouch, and I’m looking forward to using the baby ones with this next kiddo when we travel and whatnot. Price schmice – occasionally (and preferably with a coupon), it’s totally worth it.

13. Amy N on June 24th, 2013 1:48 pm

HA! That was awesome!! I would have been bright red and then probably passed out. Whatever you went through to get to the final product didn’t show…thank god for editing!

Way past baby food products…but still permanently scarred from the time my youngest puked all over himself and his carseat while we were stuck on a closed freeway! Oh yeah….and it was summer in Sacramento!

14. Donna on June 24th, 2013 1:52 pm

What Katherine said! Adorable!

15. Eric's Mommy on June 24th, 2013 1:56 pm

That was awesome :)

16. Lawyerish on June 24th, 2013 2:27 pm

This turned out great! I think you did an excellent job, like a total pro.

I also think Happy Family is a terrific brand — Felicity LOVED their pouches and snack foods in her baby and toddler years.

17. Monique on June 24th, 2013 2:35 pm

I agree with others – without already knowing how nervous you were, I wouldn’t have known it! I loved the whole thing. When I have more time I’ll go and see what the other videos are, because this one was soo funny!

18. sooboo on June 24th, 2013 3:32 pm

That was really, really funny and your delivery was spot on! I have to do public speaking as part of my job and I used to hate it so much and I always thought that I was terrible at it. But people tell me that I appear confident and not nervous, like you. Now I’ve done it so much, I’m starting to not care if I fuck it up. Good for you for getting out of your comfort zone! I know how hard that is. I also enjoyed hearing you speak and move and stuff too.

19. Andrea on June 24th, 2013 3:52 pm

OMG, you’re great! haha – the whole thing was awesomely hilarious. Would have loved to have seen the intimate relationship with hot dogs improv, too!

20. Robyn on June 24th, 2013 3:54 pm

I was all prepared to watch and feel simultaneously cringe-y and pitying for you … but I didn’t, at all, because you were really really great! You came off as relatable, funny, and relaxed, like a friend who just happened to be sharing a gross kid story (always a bonding experience among moms).

Honestly, I thought the improv folks seemed more self-conscious than you. :)

21. Leafynell on June 24th, 2013 4:19 pm

May I just give a hearty “ditto” to Robyn’s comment above!

22. NancyB on June 24th, 2013 6:06 pm

That was great! And I agree – I’ve been reading your blog for so long I loved hearing your voice. I think it was a little like I thought you would sound like LOL

23. Jess on June 24th, 2013 6:18 pm

One more person telling you that you did awesome! Totally relate-able! And we all want to be your best friend now!

24. Laura on June 24th, 2013 6:21 pm

Oh, you did great! Very funny, very natural, not at all nervous. You have to find footage of the smothering ex-hot dog on the phone, though.

25. Christine on June 24th, 2013 6:23 pm

That was really good! And I know you’re not believing any of us right now and thinking we’re all just being very nice and making allowances for you and stuff, but no, it was really very good. You looked totally natural and it was cool to see you being you in real life. (Or not really real life, but sort of.) The improv actors were also pretty funny.

26. melanie on June 24th, 2013 6:28 pm

I thought it was great, and as we are still a hot dog free household thanks to my son puking them (and you are 100% accurate they come out exactly as they went in) though I feel like in his bed (immediately soaking all sheets and mattress pad–thank god for waterproof mattress covers), the carpet, floor rug and the mad dash down the hall to the bathroom where he dripped more hot dog puke is indeed worse than a carseat. I remember the husband and I at 2am standing in the hall, looking at the carnage and wondering where the hell do we start. That was night I learned that bleach in the carpet cleaner helped to cover hotdog w/ketchep smell and didn’t really change the color of our cream carpeting. PS I totally made my husband pick up the chunks… I was dry-heaving at that point. Parenting is not for the weak!

27. Julia on June 24th, 2013 6:41 pm

Hey, unrelated to this post but I just saw your tweet and wanted to send you my thoughts and support and a wish for peace for yourself. I’m so sorry for what you went through this weekend, and whatever prompted it. Know you have a lot of people out here in the Internet who are rooting for you.

28. Tracey on June 24th, 2013 6:57 pm

I thought you were great. I was cringing at the improv part. You were better.

29. KateB on June 24th, 2013 8:48 pm

Just saw your tweet and wanted to send some love your way. Thinking of you, Linda.

30. Junni on June 24th, 2013 9:05 pm

I’ll chime in & agree that it was super funny, and not awkward!
    I will, however, concede that you’re right about one thing: they did put too much makeup on your lovely face!

31. Christie on June 24th, 2013 10:03 pm

LOL You were brilliant. :-)

32. agirlandaboy on June 24th, 2013 10:50 pm

You are my favorite.

33. Kate on June 24th, 2013 11:20 pm

Totally not blowing smoke up your a** – I think you were terrific. Completely charming.

34. squandra on June 24th, 2013 11:58 pm

I was really impressed! Either your relentless lowering-of-standards worked, or that was genuinely awesome. :)

35. squandra on June 25th, 2013 12:18 am

Er, lowering-of-expectations. Gah.

36. Jen on June 25th, 2013 3:13 am

29 and YEARS-long reader, my son is maybe a year younger than Riley and I have depended on your reassurance that some things are just PHASES, thank gosh. Anyways, I agree with everyone else. You look beautiful, you’d never know you were nervous if you didn’t tell us, and you really need to stop being so hard on yourself, girl. You did great!

37. MJ on June 25th, 2013 4:47 am

Just saw your Twitter and my heart broke into a million pieces for you. Please be strong and know that you are loved.

38. HeatherJ on June 25th, 2013 5:34 am

What MJ, KateB & Julia said. Much love & every good thought sent your way.

39. Ashley on June 25th, 2013 6:50 am

That. Was. AWESOME.

40. dana on June 25th, 2013 7:14 am

I used to live in China. I walked around one day and I counted 24 children. Out of the 24 kids, only three were girls! That is a sex ratio of 8 boys to 1 girl! I once taught a class of 33 students where only 3 were girls! Now I know the official rate is 5 boys to 4 girls, but this is ridiculous. Who are these beloved sons going to marry in 20 years?

I am aware that China has a one child policy, has a preference for sons as a replacement for a lack of a social security plan, and is backwards and undeveloped, but aborting females for males is beyond cruel. Estimates say that there will be a surplus of 60 million males in ten years.

Chinese parents can have another child if they have a girl, but not if they have a boy. Chinese, however, often ignore the law, abort the girl, and have two sons. I am also told that China will import women from Russia, Thailand, Japan, Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos, and the Philippines to make up for the lack of wives in China. However, these countries do not have an extra 60 million women and India, Pakistan, Nepal, Vietnam, South Korea, and Taiwan also have a severe shortage of women. An imbalanced sex ratio is a serious problem and could lead to social instability and even war.

If you ever go to China, count the first 20 kids you see yourself. I bet you won’t find the sex ratio is better than two boys to one girl. If you are concerned about this problem, try to raise awareness by discussing this issue with others and ask them if they want to live in a world where everyone has an unmarried son.

41. Kristin on June 25th, 2013 7:30 am

You’re ridiculous. You were AWESOME! And CUTE! Stop it now. ;)

42. C on June 25th, 2013 7:57 am

I agree with Kristin (and everyone else)….stop being ridiculous! You were great!

43. Monique on June 25th, 2013 8:08 am

With the others. Saw your tweet and Oh, my heart is with you. Such a hard struggle and I know how strong you are. Every good thought I have is for you as you move forward.

44. mona on June 25th, 2013 8:48 am

You look like such a natural at the mic! I also loved the improv actors. Man, improv is one thing I wish I could do well. Until then it’s a lot of inappropriate gestures.

45. Nancy on June 25th, 2013 4:42 pm

Your part was fantastic! The improv actors were kind of weird, but you, you rock! I didn’t think you were awkward (any more than anyone relaying the story of their kid barfing up hotdogs would be!) or nervous.

Great job!!

46. Jen on June 25th, 2013 4:55 pm

I enjoyed it and did not even notice what you were wearing. Also, I can totally see why a marketing person would have thought that was an awesome bit. The improv actors were awkward though.

47. Connie on June 25th, 2013 7:15 pm

What are you talking about? YOU WERE GREAT! Loved it…I’ve been following you for years and this is the first time I’ve commented. Just wanted you to know that you rocked it.

48. Alex on June 28th, 2013 12:05 pm

I really, really like your voice.

49. Caleal on June 29th, 2013 6:13 pm

This was so super cute I can’t handle it. You did wonderfully

50. tanya on June 30th, 2013 8:25 pm

I think you did great. And it was so nice to hear your voice.