Every day Riley and Dylan’s bus is at least ten to twenty minutes late. I’m deeply paranoid I’ll somehow miss it, so I always arrive at the stop at least five minutes early. That’s a nontrivial weekly amount of waiting on my part, but I bring a book and try to pretend like my car is a sort of mini-spa. One filled with repulsive amounts of kid detritus and the faint odor of wet socks.

Anyway, I’ve considered calling the transportation department to ask WTF is up with the forever-late bus — like, at this point why not just change the schedule? But the last time I described a less-than-ideal bus experience I got a very uncomfortable phone call from the school district transportation manager. A short time after our call, I received the following comment on that post:

Screen shot 2013-09-24 at 2.58.54 PM

Now, for legal reasons I can’t say where this IP address was tracked back to … but let’s just say I’m pretty sure I know who “Pablo” is.

Startlingly unprofessional management aside, our actual bus drivers are the best. I’m particularly fond of the afternoon guy, whose blood pressure I fret about every time he angrily blasts the horn towards oncoming drivers who ignore his flashing red lights (ie, every driver). Lord, he is mad at those oblivious assholes, and I hope Pablo his boss gives him a raise for it.

Comments

17 Responses to “Go round and round”

1. Liz on September 24th, 2013 3:18 pm

Oh, STFU, “Pablo”.

2. Penne on September 24th, 2013 3:22 pm

Sorry, I can’t read “titling” and pronounce it with a long I. I just can’t. So, Pablo, shame on YOU for trying to make your “writing look good” by making me giggle at tit-ling.

3. Stacee on September 24th, 2013 3:43 pm

Methinks “Pablo” has a boss who needs to know about this comment he has so unprofessionally written in response to your post. (For the record: I don’t think you did a damn thing wrong by mentioning this mess online. And Pablo clearly has no idea who you are — or your long, successful, highly respected history as an online writer.) Also? A school bus that is 10 to 20 minutes late everyday is absolutely unacceptable; that transportation department needs some new management.

4. Erin on September 24th, 2013 4:43 pm

Long time reader, first time commenter. As a former teacher I have to say Pablo most definitely has a boss (superintendent at a minimum) who NEEDS to know about his horrible behavior! So sorry this has happened but so glad the actual bus drivers are wonderful…

5. Linda on September 24th, 2013 4:58 pm

Not that I wanted to make the whole situation even worse, but we DID bring it to the superintendent’s attention — he fobbed it off on a facilities manager, and we never heard anything more. Nice accountability, huh?

6. Jae on September 24th, 2013 5:54 pm

I need to say things were “fobbed off” more.

So glad you’re back. :)

7. NancyB on September 25th, 2013 4:31 am

I remember thinking that Pablo’s comment didn’t really make sense because I didn’t assess any blame on the bus co, driver or school in the title.
    Now, as for when he GOT to school and NO ONE accounted for him not getting off the bus? Or getting off snc getting put back on right away if that was the case? Definitely every adult who was there is to blame!!
    Call the transportation Dept again, cell the bus company directly. I have friends in town who’s kids are still in elementary school – the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

8. Judy on September 25th, 2013 4:54 am

When my son was in 5th grade the afternoon bus was consistently late for a couple of weeks. One day, as I was rushing to get to the stop I saw the bus and driver parked in the local supermarket parking lot. She was smoking a cigarette and chatting with a guy. The school was 5 miles away, she hadn’t even picked up the kids yet and she was going to be even later than usual. I pulled into the parking lot, drove up and parked right next to her and informed her of the time. She just looked at me and blew smoke in my direction. This bitch was driving my kid to and from school? I don’t think so. She sauntered over to the guy and gave him a big, sloppy kiss then got on the bus and drove towards the school. The guy looked at me and apologized for making her late. At least he had the decency to talk to me. Anyway, to make a long story longer, I arrived at the bus stop and informed everyone that the bus was going to be even later and now I knew why. After telling them of my brief encounter with her, one of the moms asked what the guy looked like and I told her. She was pretty excited when she informed me that the guy I described was not her husband. Another dad said he’d seen her parked there frequently but just never made the connection that this was why the bus was always late. So, after she arrived and we grabbed our kids, I went home and had a nice, long conversation with the transportation director. A few other parents did too. She was perfectly on time after that, although I did hear her marriage was on the rocks.

9. Lissa on September 25th, 2013 5:19 am

Go to the next school board meeting. Calmly (and with whatever names/dates/ip adresses you have), bring this to their attention. Sad but true, public shaming tends to bring accountability – especially for elected officials.

10. Katie on September 25th, 2013 5:41 am

How did they even find your post? Also, when i read your post, I did not put blame on the transportation.

11. marilyn on September 25th, 2013 6:20 am

Arrrrgh, so much infuriating here. Actual issues that can’t be addressed because certain people are too worried about who’s getting blamed, with a nice side of those psychos who go through a school bus blinking stop with little kids around. I don’t know what I’d do either, but I hope there’s a way for you to talk to *someone* at the superintendent’s office who’s willing to listen.

12. Nikki on September 25th, 2013 7:48 am

I called out our bus driver last year too. She was consistently 20 minutes late and drove with ear buds in her ears, clearly listening to music and not paying any attention to the children. Homey don’t play that way.

13. Courtney on September 25th, 2013 9:59 am

What the ever living fuck! I’d be irate, first about the bus being consistently late (I’d worry that something happened) and second about them taking the time to track down the post but NOT FIX THE FUCKING PROBLEM.

Would you like me to call on your behalf?

14. Kizz on September 25th, 2013 10:03 am

Nicely played, Linda. I hope you get some answers because the whole thing is a mess that they need to sort out.

15. Joanna on September 25th, 2013 8:23 pm

Why can’t anyone anymore just say, “I’m sorry that happened.” Everyone is so eager to shift blame these days that no one ever apologizes for anything. When if they would just lead with that, it would make such a world of difference. I can’t even wrap my brain around them trying to make you the bad guy in this situation.

16. Alison V on September 26th, 2013 6:13 pm

God. I seethe on your behalf over this whole mess. That comment. Seethe.

17. Danell on October 6th, 2013 10:19 am

I gave up reading ANY comments at the stir because they were making me an angry, hostile person. Crazy people. We live in a world full of wildly self-centered, obnoxious, crazy people. Even more disturbing to know the crazies are actually tracking you down to spew their garbage.