A while ago — wow, like over a YEAR ago — I wrote about how JB was working on getting a custom AR-15 lower receiver to market. He hit a big stumbling block when his crowdfunding campaign was rejected, but he persevered. It’s been a long time coming, but as of today Hellbreaker is officially available for purchase through Spike’s Tactical, a well-known gun manufacturer and dealer.

It’s a HUGE milestone for him, and I’m so incredibly proud of all his hard work and dedication.

Screen shot 2013-09-27 at 8.53.33 AM

PS: I know many of you are wholly uninterested in guns. I’m posting this not to market the product to you, but to share something that’s been a big part of our family for a couple years now.

Comments

37 Responses to “Hellbreaker launch date”

1. Victoria on September 27th, 2013 9:08 am

Well, yay! (I have no idea what you’re talking about, but yay!)

2. Liz on September 27th, 2013 9:19 am

I want to ask this in a polite way because I genuinely don’t know: what do law-abiding gun enthusiasts do with guns like this? Is there a shooting range or something that’s designed for this?

3. Artemisia on September 27th, 2013 9:29 am

Congrats, JB! This is great. I am not sure what that thing does, but it looks pretty kick ass. Love the design and the lines of it.

4. Emily on September 27th, 2013 9:40 am

Congrats to JB! I hope to one day have my own business or product, would love to hear more about his story.

5. Linda on September 27th, 2013 9:50 am

For the curious, the AR-15 rifle has modular components that can be swapped out. The receiver is the part of a firearm that houses the operating parts, like the trigger and firing bolt. AR-15 rifles have two major parts to the receiver, the upper and the lower. Hellbreaker is a lower, one that’s designed to give the entire rifle a custom look. It doesn’t do anything on its own, but under US law it is the component legally considered the firearm.

Liz, here’s some info on the AR-15: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15. It’s often used for hunting or target shooting, and yes, you can take them to a certified firing range.

6. Jeanette on September 27th, 2013 10:18 am

Congratulations and good luck!

7. bouncy on September 27th, 2013 11:26 am

Congratulations to JB!

8. Hillary on September 27th, 2013 11:43 am

That’s very cool! Go JB and Hellbreaker!

9. Evelynne on September 27th, 2013 11:58 am

That is fantastic!! So exciting to see his dream become reality. Good luck with the sales!!

10. Lance on September 27th, 2013 12:10 pm

Linda – My wife follows your blog and mentioned that Hellbreaker was back!! Interesting timing because I was just thinking about Hellbreaker last week when I was shopping for another Glock. Anyway, I just placed my order over at Spikes. Any idea as to a possible ship date? Spikes doesn’t list an ETA on their site BUT the Spikes branded AR lowers are 8-12 months. Not a big deal if you don’t know.

Liz – The AR15 is actually one of the most common sporting rifles sold in the US and they are easy and fun to shoot. They look scarier than they actually are. The AR15 fires a .223 / 5.56 round which is fairly low on the “power” scale… not nearly as powerful as your common deer rifles chambered in .30-06 or 7MM. I use my AR15 for target shooting. If you want to learn more about firearms, here are a couple good web sites: http://www.thewellarmedwoman.com/ and http://www.corneredcat.com/

11. Anne on September 27th, 2013 12:16 pm

Awesome! I know nothing about this, but I’m happy for you and impressed with JB’s effort on this and just glad all around that it is available and he did it. So cool!

12. sarah on September 27th, 2013 12:44 pm

Ditto to all the people who are saying “I dont know what this is, but yay!”
    So, YAY! Goals achieved! Whee!

13. Maura on September 27th, 2013 1:03 pm

How awesome is that….love when persistence pays off. Congratulations to JB and the cheerleader behind him.

14. Penne on September 27th, 2013 1:26 pm

Very cool! Congratulations to JB and you…wishing you much success.

15. Courtney on September 27th, 2013 1:33 pm

Dang, that JB turns out some interesting stuff!

What ever happened to Vioguard? The keyboard- sanitizng device?

16. Christine on September 27th, 2013 1:59 pm

Congratulations to you all! Good job JB! I don’t know anything about AR’s but that thing looks cool.

17. Eric's Mommy on September 27th, 2013 2:29 pm

That is awesome!! I am sending the link to my dad :)

18. g~ on September 27th, 2013 2:37 pm

I’d be willing to be bet that before he had kids, teeth would not have been on the design.
    Not that he’s marketing to kids but just because kids fundamentally change the way your brain works.

19. Ashleas on September 27th, 2013 5:41 pm

Yay for entrepreneurial spirit! We need more of that spirit.

20. jonniker on September 27th, 2013 6:34 pm

Get out! He did it! I am so impressed. Congratulations!

21. Frannie on September 27th, 2013 8:38 pm

That’s awesome!!

22. Jo on September 27th, 2013 10:32 pm

Yay JB! Congratulations!

23. Pete on September 27th, 2013 10:35 pm

I was part of the original CrowdFunding and was surprised when my money was returned. I though “geez, he won’t take money from a liberal?” ;-)
    I really glad to see JB followed through and built his receiver anyway. Since my son is going to school for mechanical design and would like to design guns I would be interested in knowing JB process and tools
    Thanks

24. meeshie on September 28th, 2013 7:46 am

That is fantastic. Congrats to your family on this accomplishment. Getting a part into a major retailer like this is NOT easy.

Plus, my husband says it’s really cool looking. ;)

25. Laurie on September 28th, 2013 12:50 pm

I know next-to-nothing about guns, but I do know how awesome it is to have a dream realized. Wishing your family much success and happiness, always.

26. NancyB on September 28th, 2013 6:16 pm

Congratulations to JB on his accomplishment!

27. Cherish on September 28th, 2013 6:50 pm

That’s awesome! My 12 year old son is constantly redesigning his paintball guns and hopes to one day do so professionally. I’d also be interested in hearing about the process JB went through with this.

28. Carly on September 29th, 2013 9:14 am

lefty Canadian and long (long) time reader here, and so sad to see this — especially from a family with kids after so many shootings in the US this year. :(

29. Erin on September 29th, 2013 1:12 pm

Congratulations!

30. Shelly on September 29th, 2013 3:16 pm

Carly – I’m sorry to say but your comment seems harsh as though you have not educated yourself on gun ownership. As a fellow Canadian, I am a little embarrassed that you assumed Linda and her family were promoting the use of guns in a negative way. If you have been a long time follower, as have I, you should know that there are responsible gun enthusiasts and hunters – of which JB and his family definitely fall under.

I think this is a great accomplishment! Good luck Sharp family! :)

31. Lori on September 29th, 2013 3:52 pm

Congratulations to JB! It’s exciting to watch your husband have a dream come true, especially since we wives are a big part of the dream.

32. Karen on September 30th, 2013 5:31 am

Can we not turn this into a debate about whether guns are good or bad, because that’s not what this is about!

Looks cool and I know I have some people in my family who would be very interested in it!

33. Christie on September 30th, 2013 8:18 am

Congratulations! Like most of the other commenters, I know less than nothing about guns, but to get any product to this stage, where you can actually sell it? Well, that’s just impressive! Well done JB! (great lessons for the boys here about perseverance, creativity, not giving up on dreams, and basically just being awesome!)

34. Helen on October 1st, 2013 12:50 am

Hooray for goals accomplished. Still really hate guns and gun culture though. Which is a little different from being wholly uninterested.

35. Mary Clare on October 1st, 2013 7:23 am

Awesome! A big day for the Sharp family!

36. Courtney L on October 1st, 2013 10:49 am

I’m not a fan of guns, but I am a fan of yours, and so I say congratulations!

37. Randy on October 25th, 2013 2:50 pm

As an owner of several custom built AR platform rifles, I must confess this is a unique receiver. It would be an addition to anyones collection. Just need to find the appropriate upper to continue the hellbreaker image. Admire the work.