Back in September, Riley announced that he wanted to be Harry Potter for Halloween. Dylan immediately said that he wanted to be Harry Potter’s owl, Earwig. (EARWIG.) The Harry Potter costume I found right away, but I had my reservations about Dylan’s owl idea. For one thing, the closest outfit I could find was described as a Toddler Barn Owl and was modeled by a two-year-old. For another thing … well, are you sure, Dylan? Wouldn’t you rather be Blobby the House Elf?

He was sure. So I bought the Toddler Barn Owl costume, even though I worried that he’d end up feeling too silly to wear it or that people would sort of snicker at him or something. As it turned out, he didn’t feel silly at ALL. He felt AWESOME, like HARRY POTTER’S AWESOME OWL, and the two of them had an absolute blast last night and the only person who expressed any confusion whatsoever over their outfits was the middle-aged man who asked if Riley was supposed to be Hermione.

Riddikulus!

Kids really have it figured out sometimes, you know?

trick or treat

Comments

15 Responses to “Expecto Adorabum”

1. Brigid on November 1st, 2013 2:21 pm

Love this! I had a Hermione and a Ron Weasley two years ago. Except my son couldn’t say his Rs so he would announce he was “Won Weasley” which confused a lot of people.
    P.S. Isn’t the owl named Hedwig?

2. Cristi on November 1st, 2013 2:39 pm

LOVE those two boys of yours! They are absolutely adorable!

3. Victoria on November 1st, 2013 2:54 pm

4. Chloe on November 1st, 2013 5:25 pm

OMG, I thought Earwig was absolutely adorable, and then I laughed out loud when the old man asked if he was supposed to be Hermione. BWAHAHAHAHA

This post is freaking adorable, really lifted my spirits.

5. Kristin on November 1st, 2013 7:10 pm

That is awesome. And so cute! And HERMOINE!?!

6. Sarah on November 2nd, 2013 8:52 am

I love that he felt awesome in it. They look great together!

7. Kat on November 2nd, 2013 10:38 am

They look great! I learned a long time ago to let my kids have full reign over the costume decision each year. They really do get it right :)

8. Julie on November 3rd, 2013 4:55 pm

I love it!!! Perfect!!

9. Amy M. on November 4th, 2013 7:38 am

“Earwig” is awesome! Apparently that man has never read a Harry Potter book … because Hermione?

10. Mary Clare on November 4th, 2013 7:40 am

Oh, I love them looking so content with their costumes. My 5 and a half year old wore a goofy dog costume – super cute and sort of toddlerish, also. I’m sure there’ll be princess or big kid costume next year and enjoyed her enthusiasm about the dog costume.

11. Shawna on November 4th, 2013 11:30 am

I had reservations about my 5-year-old son’s expressed costume preference: a Darth Vader Pumpkin.

Truthfully, I was afraid he’d be teased for the pumpkin part by his classmates, but we had a pumpkin costume already from when his sister was little and it was so easy to just get the mask and light sabre to go with it.

In the end it was fine. He loved his costume and if he did get any teasing I didn’t hear about it.

12. Laurelie on November 4th, 2013 1:31 pm

This post was filled with all sorts of awesome.

13. Dawn on November 6th, 2013 8:40 am

They are so adorable. When my girls were 1 and 2 I dressed them up as a devil and an angel. Everyone loved it. Ha, turns out they were both wearing the wrong costumes but that’s another story. Love the picture.

14. m @ random musings on November 12th, 2013 10:43 am

hermione?? lol. my coworkers kiddos dressed up as this duo (but yours are so much cuter). Love how they’re teaming up to have a good time!

15. louis vuitton replicas on December 30th, 2013 3:26 pm