A couple folks asked me if I would solicit exercise music suggestions again, which is great timing because oh boy do my playlists need a refresh. Every time you guys have shared your favorite get-off-the-couch songs with me I’ve gone nuts on iTunes and subsequently improved my workouts by about 1000%, so no pressure, but let’s do this thing. (Again.)

I’ll go first — here’s what’s been on heavy rotation in my sweaty earbuds lately:

“Neckbrace,” Ratatat
“Fortune Days,” The Glitch Mob
“Burn,” Ellie Goulding
“Asleep At the Wheel,” Band of Skulls
“You Are the Wilderness,” Voxhaul Broadcast
“Rap God,” Eminem
“Some Kind of Joke,” AWOLNATION
“This Kid’s Not Alright,” AWOLNATION
“Daybreak,” OVERWERK
“On Sight,” Kanye
“Don’t Leave Me (Ne Me Quitte Pas),” Regina Spektor
“Must Be the Moon,” !!!
“Bleeding Out,” Imagine Dragons
The Pacific Rim movie theme song (shut up)
“Roar,” Katy Perry

Comments

36 Responses to “Workout music request, part IV”

1. Amy M on November 12th, 2013 5:40 pm

The ones that motivate me on runs recently:

“My Songs Know What You Did In the Dark” – Fall Out Boy
    “Raise Your Glass” – Pink
    “Fighter” – Christina Aguilera
    “Dreaming” – Smallpools
    “Closer” – Tegan & Sara

2. Ellbeejay on November 12th, 2013 5:43 pm

Oh, what excellent timing! I’ve just commited (mentally, registration doesn’t open till tomorrow) to the Moab 1/2 marathon, and my workout playlist is WOEFULLY useless. I find myself trying to skip every song, and the last few runs I’ve just thrown one of the Pandora exercise stations. I do enjoy going old school with “Push It” by Salt & Pepa, however–it’s probably the only song that will remain on my list. :)
    (It was also on my labor playlist for my new son, born a few months ago–you should have seen the midwife’s face when it started playing!)

3. Jo on November 12th, 2013 5:46 pm

“Roar” is brilliant.

Also I’m loving:
    “Starships”, Nicki Minaj
    “Where Them Girls At”, David Guetta ft Nicki Minaj and Flo Rida
    “More”, Usher
    “Without You”, David Guetta and Usher

4. Ashley on November 12th, 2013 6:00 pm

You’re the best Linda! Watching this post like a hawk cuz I got nothing! Well wait, I really think “reflecktor” by arcade fire is the jam.

5. Ashley on November 12th, 2013 6:07 pm

Oops. Song is spelled “reflektor”. My bad. Sorry for the extra comment!

6. Anna on November 12th, 2013 6:31 pm

Some Nights by Fun is upbeat. Thanks for your post the other day on the interval timer and the body weight workouts. I signed up and started today! Jillian Michaels was getting boring.

7. Lissie on November 12th, 2013 7:15 pm

Yay! So glad you’re doing this again!

Seconding “Burn” by Ellie Goulding. Love that one.

Other new favorites:
    “Jerk It” by Thunderheist
    “Like Left Eye” by Kreayshawn
    “Go Hard (La.La.La)” by Kreayshawn
    “Gucci Gucci” by Kreayshawn (this one sticks with me forever)
    “Eyes on Fire” by Blue Foundation
    “Breath of Life” by Florence + the Machine
    “Heads Will Roll” by Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    “Rill Rill” by Sleigh Bells
    “Body Work” by Morgan Page feat Tegan and Sarah
    “Savior” by Rise Against
    “Invisible” by The Zolas
    “Smile Back” by Mac Miller
    “Kick Out the Epic Motherf*” by Dada Life
    and of course
    “Work B**ch” by Britney Spears

8. Anna A on November 12th, 2013 7:28 pm

For the lazy iPhone users among us, I can definitely recommend the Rock My Run app. Pre-made playlists for every genre and speed. I use the free ones but there is a paid version for greater access. Introduces me to new music and never requires me to actually sit down and plan a playlist.

9. Jenny on November 12th, 2013 8:58 pm

I don’t have much to add, but just had to second “Bleeding Out” by Imagine Dragons – always helps me find those last few drops of energy when I need them.

10. cheyenne on November 12th, 2013 9:30 pm

I love these. Here’s what is on my run play list.
    Azealia Banks – 212
    Macklemore & Ryan Lewis – Can’t Hold Us
    Hugo – 99 Problems
    MIA – Bad Girls
    Jack Parrow – Die Vraagstuck
    Khriz & Angel – Ven Bailalo (so cheesy! God I love this song though)
    Juanes – La Camisa Negra
    Dessa – Seamstress
    Hole – Violet
    Gnarls Barkley – Going On
    Gossip – Heavy Cross
    Gossip – Careless Whisper (that’s right–as in Wham)
    Marilyn Manson – Personal Jesus
    Cibo Matto – Sci-Fi Wasabi
    Kaizers Orchestra – Evig Pint
    Joan Jett – Bad Reputation
    Ozomatli – Eva
    Icona Pop – I love it
    Dropkick Murphys – Shippng up to Boston
    Seeed – Aufstehn

11. Ona on November 12th, 2013 10:26 pm

Oh goody! I was hoping you would do this post again!

I cant get enough of “Timber” by Pitbull featuring Ke$ha.
    Best Day of My Life – American Authors
    Big Parade – The Lumineers
    Unbelievers – Vampire Weekend
    Wavin’ Flag – K’naan
    Heavy Chevy – Alabama Shakes
    Paper Planes – MIA
    Live Like a Warrior – Matisyahu

12. Liz on November 12th, 2013 10:27 pm

No joke: my Disney playlist is super motivating. Especially the Mulan and Tarzan soundtracks.

13. Nicole on November 12th, 2013 11:54 pm

I won’t put my whole list but here are some highlights:

Cardio:

Let There Be Love -Christina Aguilera
    Closer to the Edge – 30 Seconds to Mars
    Commander – Kelly Rowland
    Any and all Pitbull
    Waiting for the End – Linkin Park

15. Crystal PK on November 13th, 2013 6:40 am

OOooh, now I have some new music to check out. Thanks!

16. esw on November 13th, 2013 6:52 am

I’m on a 30 Seconds to Mars kick right now… Do or Die, City of Angels, Search and Destroy, Vox Populi, Closer to the Edge, This is War, Kings and Queens, A Beautiful Lie, Bright Lights, Conquistador, The Race, Up in the Air,

Katy Perry: Walking on Air, Unconditionally,

17. Amber on November 13th, 2013 8:11 am

“Pumpin’ Blood” by NONONO. (It’s an energetic song with great lyrics, like: “You’re a catalyst to your own happiness, you know” and “It’s your heart! It’s alive! It’s pumpin’ blood! And the whole wild world is whistlin’!”)

“Dance Apocalyptic” by Janelle Monae. (Hell yes. You can’t NOT move when you hear this song, which is problematic if you’re just, you know, driving in your car.)

“Pa Pa Power” by Dead Man’s Bones (Ryan Gosling’s band! CRAZY. It has a slower beat, but my husband loves the steady pace for running.)

“Pinhole of Light” by Heart-Ships (Steady beat, epic shouty-y chorus.)

“Wishing You the Best” by Campfire OK (starts slow and steady, builds up to a soaring chorus)

But the best, most essential one is the RAC Remix for Foster the People’s “Houdini.” It is FREAKING GREAT for working out.

18. Lawyerish on November 13th, 2013 8:52 am

I always feel self-conscious recommending music because I am severely behind the times and am probably telling everyone about stuff they’ve been listening to for like a year. Nevertheless, here are a few that keep me going:

Wake Me Up by Avicii — I put this on repeat for the first half of my run; it’s SO good

Brave by Sara Bareilles

Home by Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros

World in Our Hands by The Jesus Halo

Hall of Fame by will.i.am

19. Gillian on November 13th, 2013 9:48 am

You must check out “My Number” by The Foals. Awesome.

20. Maya on November 13th, 2013 12:02 pm

You might already know of this, but one of your pics was included in this “best of” list I just saw on my facebook feed (number 6!):

21. Shawna on November 13th, 2013 12:54 pm

I have always loved the Beastie Boys’ “Body Movin’”, remixed by Fatboy Slim.

I’m also liking My Songs Know What You Did In the Dark by Fall Out Boy – it’s on the latest BodyPump release and it’s an awesome tricep song.

22. coleyklein on November 13th, 2013 2:07 pm

Hello from West Seattle (and a Coos Bay native, and UO Duck…) I love it when you do this post – it is sooooo cool to tap into everyone’s ipods and playlists.

Here are some songs with a good steady beat for running… Sorry of some are pretty obvious – tried to mix some obscure ones and popular

Folsom Prison Blues, Everlast
    Wake Me Up, Avicii
    LoveHate Thing (feat Sam Dew), Wale
    Royals, Lorde

23. sal on November 13th, 2013 3:51 pm

Le Tigre – Deceptacon
    Grass Widow – Milo Minute
    Jono McCleery – ‘Ballade’ (Djrum Remix)

Also, someone above mentioned Arcade Fire’s Reflektor…DEFINITELY. Afterlife on that album is a winner, too.

24. Carolyn J. on November 13th, 2013 10:21 pm

I’ve been heading into the vaults for workout music. The Allman Brothers “Whipping Post” says it all, especially when Greg Allman sings “Good Lord I feel like I’m dyin’”.

25. Ashley on November 14th, 2013 5:51 am

The City – 1975
    Miracle Mile – Cold War Kids
    Came Back Haumted – Nine Inch Nails
    You & I – Crystal Fighters
    Default – Django Django
    Pompeii – Bastille

So happy to see you posting regularly again !

26. Janet in Miami on November 14th, 2013 12:38 pm

Alas I date myself:

Hush – Deep Purple
    Panama – Van Halen
    I’m just a Singer – The Moody Blues
    Hero – Chad Kroeger
    How do you Burlesque – Cristina Aguilera
    The Avengers movie theme (yeah, I know)

27. Janet in Miami on November 14th, 2013 12:42 pm

oh, and I forgot my last favorite:

Titanium – David Guetta

28. Andrea on November 14th, 2013 4:47 pm

Black Sheep by Metric
    Stay the Night by Zedd, featuring Hayley Williams
    This is What it Feels Like by Armin vanBuuren
    Pompeii by Bastille
    The Pursuit of Happiness by Kid Cudi (Remixed by Steve Aoki)
    Lose My Mind by Sebastian Ingrosso & Alesso
    Hey Now by Martin Solveig
    We Come Running by Youngblood Hawke
    Take You Higher by Goodwill and Hook N Sling
    Easy by Porter Robinson (and Matt Zo).
    I Could be the One by Avicii featuring Nicky Romero
    Pair of Dice by Tiesto
    Ain’t No Stoppin’ by Ferry Corsten (featuring Ben Hague)
    Apollo by Hardwell featuring Amba Shepherd
    Drowning by Armin van Buren
    Language by Porter Robinson
    Cry for You by September
    You Are My Diamond by Tiesto – featuring Kianna
    Arguru – Deadmau5
    We Are by Jus Jack & Oza, featuring Aeone

These are my favorites from my running playlist I add to every Friday on my blog :)

29. Julie on November 18th, 2013 3:11 pm

Ok I don’t think I saw any of these in previous comments (and wow, some great suggestions in there, cannot wait to rotate some into my playlists)

Passion Pit – Take a Walk
    Imagine Dragons – Radioactive
    La Roux – Bulletproof
    V.I.C. – Wobble

30. louis vuitton scarf on December 24th, 2013 5:37 pm

louis vuitton galliera

31. a buon mercato ugg Stivale on January 20th, 2014 3:44 pm

Hello, i think that i saw you visited my website so i came to eturn the favor?I’m attempting to find things to enhance my site!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!
    a buon mercato ugg Stivale http://www.bachflowermassage.com/PDF/ugg.asp?p=a-buon-mercato-ugg-Stivale.html

32. silver Michael Kors watch on January 28th, 2014 2:56 am

I was suggested this blog by my cousin. I’m not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my difficulty. You’re wonderful! Thanks!
    silver Michael Kors watch http://www.alphafiresystems.co.uk/images/nav/michael-kors.asp?p=silver-Michael-Kors-watch.html

33. prix louis vuitton sac on January 28th, 2014 2:57 am

prix louis vuitton sac…

Naturellement C茅l茅bration C cri茅 toutes sortes types de langage grossier dans le superviseur , mais il exp茅riment茅 plus pour la raison que consid茅rant qu’il ne va probable par le affaire . Partir suit t么t le matin superviseur en de votre plante a pris…

34. Michael Kors white watches on January 28th, 2014 2:59 am

Great beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your web site, how can i subscribe for a blog web site? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear idea
    Michael Kors white watches http://www.alphafiresystems.co.uk/images/nav/michael-kors.asp?p=Michael-Kors-white-watches.html

35. burberry bags on January 28th, 2014 3:00 am

Hi, I just wanted to tell you, you’re dead wrong. Your point doesn’t make any sense.
    burberry bags http://www.microcredito.lazio.it/allegati/burberry.asp?p=burberry-bags.html

36. Michael Kors michael on January 28th, 2014 3:01 am

Simply wish to say your article is as astonishing. The clearness in your post is simply spectacular and i could assume you are an expert on this subject. Well with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the rewarding work.
    Michael Kors michael http://www.alphafiresystems.co.uk/images/nav/michael-kors.asp?p=Michael-Kors-michael.html