1. We replaced our too-dark, too-big kitchen table with a lighter, smaller one:

oldtable

newtable

(Eventual to-do: get rid of that ill-placed white expanse above the counter, which divides the kitchen, makes it so you have to duck in order to have conversations, and puts open doors right at forehead-gouging level. Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this cabinet!)

2. We had our first Sunday night family dinner at the (MUCH easier to clean) table: scrambled eggs, pancakes, bacon. Everyone was happy.

3. The boys went to a birthday party which was held at a deeply awesome gymnastics center:

trampoline

4. JB installed new closet hardware in Riley’s room so the doors no longer fall off their railings whenever you look at them.

5. I bought two Christmas presents, stocked up on wrapping, and ordered our cards. It helped shove that panicky oh-Jesus-December-will-straight-up-kill-me feeling back a yard or two.

6. I made everyone suffer through my annual attempt at a holiday photo. It was … difficult. Let’s say that. IT WAS SERIOUSLY FUCKING DIFFICULT.

holidayGAH

7. I deep-cleaned behind the toilet. We shall never speak of that again.

What did you get out of the way this weekend?

Comments

43 Responses to “Weekend accomplishments”

1. Alli on November 17th, 2013 7:49 pm

I deep cleaned the fridge. Took out the shelves, washed them in the bathtub, then washed the bathtub 3 times. Bought a new trash can for the kitchen. And tried to bring a new sorting system to the laundry room.

2. Alli on November 17th, 2013 7:49 pm

Oh, and I was able to do all of that with my family gone for the weekend. That was also an accomplishment. I needed some alone time, but I missed them a lot!

3. Faith on November 17th, 2013 7:51 pm

Oh my hell what did I NOT get out of the way this weekend?! Must have been the moon or something, cause it was that kind of weekend for us too. We cleaned and decluttered and tidied, and it sucked but now it feels awesome to not feel like everywhere I look there’s something I haven’t done in way too long, you know?

4. Tessa on November 17th, 2013 8:00 pm

Bank, farmers’ market, post office, deadheaded enough rose bushes to fill our large trash can, log patrol, family dinner, announced our intent to adopt to the family(!!!!), grocery shopped, bought a new entertainment center, pulled out stuff for our yard sale next weekend, gave the dog a bath. Ooh, and got a pedicure. I’m wiped out.

5. Cheryl on November 17th, 2013 8:17 pm

I am literally crawling out of my skin with the desire to replace our overly formal, poorly constructed dining set. We inherited it from my husband’s grandmother and he’s convinced himself that because it is old, it is worth money (not when the chairs are falling apart after less than 10 years of use). We also have 2 boys, so you can imagine the beating this poor table has taken! I would really love to get some pretty reclaimed lumber and build a table that fits our room dimensions and lifestyle!

I’m totally with you on the cleaning out of behind the toilet – you’d think that with the ability to aim, they’d actually get some IN the toilet!

6. sara on November 17th, 2013 8:42 pm

Purchased a few xmas gifts, grocery shopped, bank… Did a small fraction of the cleaning I set out to do and even less laundry. Took our kids to see Santa today in the middle of tornado weather (Chicago suburbs). I had so any things on my to do list and barely accomplished any of them.. Sigh. Desperately needed to clean up the yard before it gets too cold but couldn’t because of the afore mentioned weather. It looked like a tornado went through it BEFORE today. Ugh.

7. sooboo on November 17th, 2013 8:44 pm

Wow that dining table is a serious improvement! It brightens the space by a lot. I took a lot of naps, played Candy Crush, went to hear some bands and went to an art opening that felt like it was taking place in a Bret Easton Ellis novel.

8. Shana on November 17th, 2013 9:16 pm

Can you tell me the name of the gymnastics center? My boys are on a team and we are looking around for gymnastics facilities so they can continue to train while we travel, and maybe even move some day.

9. Skance on November 17th, 2013 9:50 pm

Vacuumed for the first time in, let’s see, um, my baby is 8 months, so carry the one and, well, it’s been a while. Cleaned the tub (assholish 106 year old porcelain, impossible to clean tub), bathed the dog, did NOT bathe the baby, spent some time with a friend going through a rough time, picked up my Aunt & Uncle from the airport and slept until 9:30am yesterday. All in all, not you bad.

10. Pete on November 17th, 2013 9:57 pm

Sealed in some duct work in the garage. Only need to plumb the compressed air to both side and I’m almost done. Then on to the bathroom.
    Nice table and good family pix.

11. Mandy on November 17th, 2013 10:39 pm

We bought a house. (!!!)

(pending inspection tomorrow, that is.)

12. honeybecke on November 17th, 2013 11:42 pm

Good work Linda! You’ve been busy. We also had a bday party at a gymnastic “germ riddled foam pit” place too. This weekend will go down in history for our family. It was the first time we had a babysitter that was neither 1. A family member (of which we have zero who live in our town) and/or 2. a long-term family friend.
    She is bubbly 14 year old with glowing references and lives in our neighborhood. How many times did I (and my husband!) think of calling and cancelling all week long? Many. Did we? Nope. I handed over my 8, 6 and 9 month old and we went out to lunch and had a very romantic grocery shopping trip. Let’s face it, without kids in tow Freddie’s can be downright romantic.
    We’ve already booked her again for next weekend. Afterall, we will be needing to buy milk again.

13. Molly on November 18th, 2013 12:00 am

Random sampling: Picked up sticks & branches and managed to rake, wait for it, ONE entire bag of leaves, conquered the laundry, finished PowerPoint for my boss, failed at making dog housetraining progress, made pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, possibly unintentionally crash-ended my 3-yr long-distance love affair (he was THE ONE) , scrubbed brick patio on my knees (i.e. attempt to work out emotion from previous accomplishment), watched the last five minutes of my Broncos beat the Chiefs…and JUST finished ordering photos to pick up in the morning for kindergartner’s Star Student week bag (GAH!!). I am (thank you Linda – and I mean it, not a sarcastic thank you) inspired to leave my browser open on Costco’s photo center because the impending December panic of not having ordered the holiday collage card has descended upon me.

14. Christine on November 18th, 2013 5:38 am

Made headway on finishing the baby nursery and washing clothes so I can actually pack a bag… Only 2 weeks from my due date so it was probably time. Now to actually charge the camera battery and pack.

15. Kim on November 18th, 2013 6:57 am

My accomplishments mostly revolved around cooking stuff, which kind of sucks because it wasn’t exactly diet-friendly stuff and I ate a lot of it.
    But I also bought a Christmas present!

16. Maggie on November 18th, 2013 7:24 am

Went with my sis and our combined 3 kids to our hometown to hang out with my BFF since age 12 and throw her baby shower for the TWINS she is expecting. As a single mom! On the way home, we had to pull off and hide out in a Best Buy due to tornado warnings! Exciting and fun weekend, but didn’t accomplish a thing around the house which means I will play catch up this week :(

17. Claire on November 18th, 2013 7:29 am

I also did some Christmas shopping and I cleaned my shower, which was no easy task.

18. Emma on November 18th, 2013 8:00 am

I look forward to your Christmas photo outtakes every year. They crack me up!

19. Kizz on November 18th, 2013 8:24 am

The [insert string of expletives] floor is now clean. It almost broke me.

20. Judy on November 18th, 2013 9:33 am

What did I do? Oh, sat on my ass a lot. Watched my Chiefs lose their first game of this season. Ate barbecue.

Your new table looks a lot like my table, mine’s probably smaller, it’s a drop-leaf that opens up to a round table, and only has two chairs (plenty for me) but my chairs are identical and I totally love the set. Got it at a used furniture place eight years ago for $120. I could not be more pleased, and glad you’re enjoying yours too.

21. Heather on November 18th, 2013 10:35 am

We did touch-up painting all over the house… there was a gray haze all along the walls right at the 3-year-old height level. We cleaned the carpets and our wool rug sent out for cleaning was returned (clean!). We hung art on the walls and made more progress cooking and eating our way through the contents in our chest freezer (we want to get rid of it). With the cleaned up, brightened walls alone, it feels like a new house!

22. C on November 18th, 2013 10:38 am

Took my own advice on painting and started painting the bathroom, which involved getting more intimate with the toilet than ever before. Proof your blog is good for people. :)

23. NancyJ on November 18th, 2013 10:42 am

I spent a wonderful afternoon and night with 2 college roommates about an hour and 1/2 from home. We caught up on life and I am sad we don’t live closer but I know we will stay in touch better.

24. Jennifer on November 18th, 2013 10:59 am

Your hair looks awesome! How’d you get those waves? I can never get mine to do that.

25. Amy on November 19th, 2013 9:28 am

Pllleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaase say you’ll do a holiday-card-outtake post again. It’s my favorite. Don’t ruin Christmas for me, Linda.

26. T on November 19th, 2013 10:48 am

Bought myself a new coat (FINALLY)! And by the way, you look AMAZING!!

27. Emily on November 19th, 2013 10:57 am

Your new table looks great!

28. Jen on November 19th, 2013 11:39 am

After 10 years of living with nasty dark paneling on the walls in the dining room, we finally painted over it (inspired in part by your Crap Room post and the fact that we’re hosting Thanksgiving for the first time ever!) and it looks AWESOME! It took 10 solid hours between Saturday and Sunday but omfg, it was so worth the effort and time it took! Woo hoo!
    PS…please share some of the Xmas Card Outtakes with us! They’re always amazingly hilarious!

29. June on November 20th, 2013 2:51 pm

Oh, no family photo outtakes?! But I Loooove those!

Good job on working on House Beautiful.

30. air max pas cher on December 14th, 2013 11:37 pm

“Remediation with Browsium Ion is done on the client so modifications are only made on clients who are actively upgrading. When you have 100,000 PCs spread around the world, that’s critical. No one can move everyone at once.”

31. chaussure ugg pas cher on December 27th, 2013 12:07 pm

This luxury brand stands out not so much because of companywide fitness offerings — most Four Seasons have state-of-the-art gyms with classes and personal trainers — but because of individual touches at its different locations. If you’re in Scottsdale, Ariz., take advantage of guided hikes to nearby Pinnacle Peak (pictured). If you’re visiting Whistler, B.C., for the Ironman Canada, use the free bike washing stations, tuning kits and storage. (Four Seasons Whistler also has a ski concierge.) Don’t have time to hit the gym in Beverly Hills? Use the custom personal training app on your in-room iPad. Going for a morning run in Boston? Borrow workout clothes, running shoes and a jogging map on your way out, and get a towel and water when you return. In fact, several Four Seasons hotels will lend you workout clothes, so you don’t have to worry about what do with those sweaty socks while traveling.Q: What percent of success in NASCAR has to do with the driver, what percent is the car and what percent is luck?

32. Bottes UGG Corinth Pas Cher on December 30th, 2013 11:58 am

Ο Μ?λς Γλ?ος λ?ε ς ο ε?ο ου οο? ?ες ?ς Γε? ? Ελλ? ε?ε υε?ε ο ? λ?ς ε?ε ?ε ? Ευ? ο?λε ? λ? ?λλ. Κ? ?? ου: ?λλο ? εε?ο ?λλο ς Ευ?ς. Εε?ς ε ?ουε ? υ? ? ?ουε ? ε?ουε Ευ?. Εε?ς ?ε ο ευ?οες Ευ? λλ?ου ολ? ? Ελλ? υ? ο Μ?ο ο?ε ?ουε ου?.
    [url=http://www.dougwardintegration.com/fr/BottesUGGArgyleKnitPasCher.html]Bottes UGG Corinth Pas Cher[/url]
    Bottes UGG Corinth Pas Cher

33. Christian Louboutin Sandales on December 30th, 2013 11:58 am

Ο Π?εος Ο? ο εουλο? ο Κο?ο ε ?ου ?ε υ?ου ε ? ολολ?ο ο?ολο? ε? ? ?ος, ? ο ?ε ου ο Μ? Ο? ε? ?οος ο Λευ? Ο?ο. Σε ?λ υ? ε?οο ο ε? Κο?ο υοεε? ? ου ε?λλο ? ε?οε ?, ? ?ε οο? λεουο? ο ?ς υε?ες.
    [url=http://www.gemini14nyc.com/Bottes-Fr/ChristianLouboutin-Sandales.html]Christian Louboutin Sandales[/url]
    Christian Louboutin Sandales

34. Chaussure Jordan Femme on January 15th, 2014 1:59 pm
  35. Louboutin Escarpin-Sandale Femme on January 15th, 2014 1:59 pm

On-Net can be a useful way to save money if you have a lot of friends on the same network, if you make a large number of calls to a specific person/small group of people, or if your network provider boasts a large number of subscribers.
    Louboutin Escarpin-Sandale Femme

36. Chaussure Jordan Retro Homme on January 15th, 2014 2:00 pm

Cost of 1MB of data within Australia (included in plan): $0.00045
    Chaussure Jordan Retro Homme

37. Air Max 90 Pas Cher on January 15th, 2014 2:00 pm

Samsung Galaxy S3 4G 16GB
    Air Max 90 Pas Cher

38. Michael Kors Factory Outlet on January 15th, 2014 2:12 pm

The Shelby 1000 costs $149,995 for the street version, or $154,995 for S/C racing version, after the $52,400 for the base 2012 GT500. Only 100 Shelby 1000s will be produced.
    Michael Kors Factory Outlet

39. Michael Kors Outlet on January 15th, 2014 2:12 pm

“It’s obvious that the production of this film cost way more than our fifteen hundred dollar prize,” said Environment Minnesota Director Ken Bradley. “Our judges were extremely impressed, and we appreciate that team Solar Hotdish created this short film not because of the prize money, but rather to help promote our goal of 10 percent solar energy by 2030.”
    Michael Kors Outlet

40. Michael Kors Outlet on January 15th, 2014 2:13 pm

The Federal Bureau of Investigation arrested Ulbricht on October 01 and accused him of running the Silk Road website, a market place for illegal goods, under the online alias “Dread Pirate Roberts.”
    Michael Kors Outlet

41. Michael Kors Factory Outlet on January 15th, 2014 2:13 pm

“I am not going to butter your bread. I am not interested in socialist self-management. We need to encourage the private sector and the future of the country lies in capitalism.”
    Michael Kors Factory Outlet

42. Air Max Greef Pas Cher on February 9th, 2014 2:57 pm

Religion I wanted to start rehab in September 2008, but the trial of my ex, Daniel Lynch, and his accomplice Stefan Sylvestre, the man who threw the acid, was about to start and the CPS said I had to be a witness. [Both men were given life sentences.] It was awful. I had my little holding cross (pictured), which is smooth and tactile, in my hand and it gave me strength. I wasnt religious before the accident, but after it I joined a church. They were the first people I met after the attack, apart from doctors and police, and they helped me integrate back into society and learn to trust strangers again.
    Air Max Greef Pas Cher

43. Air Max BW CLASSIC Pas Cher on February 9th, 2014 2:58 pm

Politics, business, education, the arts, the sciences. This is the battlefront of equality. The anachronistic squabbles of the Anglican church are a total and utter irrelevance.
    Air Max BW CLASSIC Pas Cher