The kids are home from school until next Monday and my god, today has been a VERY long day. A while ago I posted something whiny on Twitter about the length of our Thanksgiving break and I got a response from someone, a new mom, who seemed a little … dismayed, I guess? that I was dreading the time off. Maybe she was staring down the grim barrel of the brutally endless-feeling newborn days and thinking, wait, this shit doesn’t get better? MULLIGAN. But I’m thinking most of you with school-age kids are with me on how a big shift in routine is just rough going, right? A school holiday isn’t like a weekend. It’s many consecutive hours in a row of children acting restless and obnoxious and generally making it really hard for me to do the crap I have to do because hi, I’m not on vacation. Plus JB’s parents are staying with us later this week so I feel like I’m caught in this ridiculous Möbius strip of trying to clean in preparation for visitors while the children systematically undo all of my efforts while adding a little extra clutter/dirt as they go.

In unrelated news I went through and organized my Stuff I Like page, which houses — wait for it — information about stuff I like. When I come across something I really feel like recommending, I post it on the sidebar for a while, then eventually move it to this page. Most items are things I bought from Amazon, and they include an affiliate link. I use any affiliate funds towards other things I buy from Amazon, which I sometimes recommend if they’re awesome enough. So basically it works like this:

lion-king

I want to say I can hardly believe it’s almost Thanksgiving already, but I feel like I’ve been seeing Christmas decorations and trees shared on Instagram for at least two or three weeks now. Those must be fake trees, right? Because I’m pretty sure if I put one up in November I’d have a giant pile of brown needles by December 25th.

What are you doing for the holiday? JB’s brother and his wife are hosting the meal this year, and all I have to do is bring the rolls. No traveling! No cooking! NO DISHES.

Comments

30 Responses to “Thanksgiving week miscellaneous”

1. Maud on November 25th, 2013 6:40 pm

We are going to our neighbors across the road. No travel, no matter what the weather’s like, and all I have to do is make a pie and bring a bottle. No house-cleaning necessary. The children might all spend the afternoon putting each others’ eyes out, but at least we can escape quickly when things escalate.

2. sooboo on November 25th, 2013 7:48 pm

We are going to my MIL’s which is two hours away. My husband works about halfway between her house and ours so on Wednesday we play Take Your Spouse to Work Day (that’s a thing, right?) and I sit in a break room, play candy crush and watch movies all day. On T-day I have to help clean up after dinner and that’s it. Also, my MIL has a hot tub. We always come home on Friday to beat the traffic on the weekend. Easy peasy. I feel you on the house guests. Why can’t people stay in hotels like they did in the olden days?

3. JudithNYC on November 25th, 2013 7:52 pm

I will start cooking up a storm tomorrow! Thanksgiving is the only time I see both my (grown) sons together and I don’t mind all the work since it’s only a once a year thing.

I am getting up in years, though, and I am seriously considering eating out or having the meal catered next year because even though I love cooking my back is getting resentful.

4. IsaNM on November 25th, 2013 8:23 pm

I feel ya on the dread of holiday weekends and vacations. But my husband is a teacher, so he and the boy will stay home together and I will actually be happy to escape to the office. Our b

5. IsaNM on November 25th, 2013 8:26 pm

Greer, big thumbs, tiny phone! Our big thanksgiving plan is to do nothing. Family went out of town for the holiday so we’re off the hook! Gonna watch tv, play video games and eat whatever random food we scrounge in the fridge. :-)

6. honeybecke on November 25th, 2013 9:24 pm

Oh don’t worry, the majority of us with school aged children are right there with ya sista. It’s just sooo much togetherness. We only have Thursday/Friday off so it’s likely I will survive with only minor twitches.
    For our Thanksgiving we are making a feast for the five of us and with in all probability not change out of our pajamas all day. And hell no to the crazy shopping shit, I am way too lazy to fight over a toaster.

7. Judy on November 25th, 2013 11:22 pm

My daughter just moved into her new house, courtesy of Habitat for Humanity, and she’s hosting the dinner. I volunteered to bring pies, which I will buy ready-made from the wonderful Publix bakery. Done.

8. NancyJ on November 26th, 2013 4:34 am

I’m hosting the 15 or so people planned for this year. 2 turkeys – one fried, one barbequed so my oven is free for the other dishes.
    Only problem is our house is not big enough for that many people to sit down so we have our meal in our office above our detached garage and we’re like a pack of ants carrying our food back and forth. A little silly looking but at least we can spread out without cracking each other in the jaw with elbows.

9. Maria on November 26th, 2013 6:42 am

I have the kids this year so I’m crazy happy to not be missing them even though they are giant butts at thanksgiving and never eat. All I have to do is show up this year huzzah.

10. Maggie on November 26th, 2013 7:12 am

OK, that Brad Pitt gif literally made my day. I am hosting, like I have done almost every year since getting married. I am excited this year because my sister has moved close (Tacoma to Michigan) and will be helping me cook and here to tease our mom with me :) The good part about cooking is someone else does the dishes.

11. K on November 26th, 2013 8:00 am

Brad Pitt as a fitness nut in that movie is ridiculous. And that gif? EVEN BETTER.

12. LD's Mom on November 26th, 2013 8:19 am

I have been wondering the exact same thing about the early Xmas trees. I wait till mid-December and still end up with a pile of dead pine needles.

13. Auntie G on November 26th, 2013 8:54 am

OMG my 5 year old had last Thursday AND Friday off for P/T conferences, and now he’s off the WHOLE week this week. My parents, who watch my 2 year old, went to visit my sister out East, so my husband and I are limping along this week AND IT’S ONLY TUESDAY. Even dumber, we are HOSTING Thanksgiving for 16 people, because it…seemed like it would be easier to take this year than next year, when we will also have a 9 month old?! YES YES YES we are a sad lot of routine-deprived monkeys. We have SO mcuh to do but there’s literally no point in doing anything but a bit of shopping and heavy-duty furniture moving until the actual holiday is closer, because the kids and the dog will just trash the place again. Today I practically SKIPPED off to the quiet of my office with the following advice for my husband and the boys: please ignore the Thanksgiving list – trying to work will just make you hate each other. Go somewhere fun and do whatever you need to do to get through the day without bloodshed. :)

14. another sue on November 26th, 2013 9:09 am

I planned a feast for 5, maybe 6 at my home. A neighbor wanted in on it, bringing in 4 more. Then 4 more appeared w/no place to go. I think we are up to 18 or so now, but thankfully, some of them are also pitching in, so I’m only cooking about a third of it, and my neighbor is hosting. Yay! My granddaughter has no school Wednesday, altho her folks have to work, so she will be here to help me. I always bake pies for the community dinner, so I think it will be good for her to get in on that giving part of Thanksgiving also.

15. Sarah on November 26th, 2013 10:12 am

My husband is works, I’m home with our kindergartener as he is out of school all week. We are both a bit sick. It’s Tuesday and we have watched everything on our TiVo and YouTube I think. God speed to both of us!

We will happily be guests this year. I bring a sweet potato casserole. I’m jealous of your rolls and local drive! Bet you are thrilled you moved!!

16. LizScott on November 26th, 2013 10:28 am

What am I doing for Thanksgiving? Oh, just having six houseguests (parents, brothers+wives) and a one year old stay with me. Which is lovely! Except for how Thursday is my due date. So, you know, nbd.

(KILL ME. KILL ME NOW)

17. Callie on November 26th, 2013 10:46 am

Holiday plans: Making stuffing that doesn’t involve a box for the first time ever to make up for the fact that my Nana is acting like a spoiled brat and not coming to Thanksgiving at my parents’ house. Ugh.

Also, I have said it before and I’ll say it again: I like my kids so much more when there’s only one of them. I have two boys, ages 5 and 20 months, and let’s just say they don’t always bring out the best in each other. But one on one, they are delightful.

18. Chris on November 26th, 2013 10:57 am

You know about Kipsters and Bounce right? Get thee to one the next no-school day! Or even for your youngest in the morning if he’s being crazy!

19. June on November 26th, 2013 11:42 am

I, too, dread the 4-day weekends… They stare at me and complain that they’re bored, yet refuse to do anything bearing any semblance to an activity. I’ll have play doh, arts and crafts, cookies, dancing, yoga, etc, but anything other than plonking them in front of the TV or reading to them will elicit complaints. Maybe we’ll put up the tree on Friday, it’ll be SOMETHING TO DO.

20. KDA on November 26th, 2013 8:07 pm

Are you kidding? By the end of a four-day weekend, even my two-year old is ready to go back to day care. I think she gets bored with us by day three. Plus, the toys are so much better at day care. I’m going to take Monday off just so I can have a day to myself after the holiday.

21. allstarme on November 27th, 2013 6:47 am

I took a half day from work yesterday to clean in prep for my parents’ arrival and the second my boys got home, the house slowly unraveled. I feel your pain!

22. Mary on November 27th, 2013 9:12 am

We’re going to my cousin’s and only have to make a bowl of cranberry sauce and a pie. We have a new baby and another daughter who isn’t school age yet. Every time I’m home I have both kiddos. No such thing as on or off of school over here, although my husband and I try to alternate whose on or off.

I do enjoy my time with the girls but yeah, intense. Sending kids to school at all sounds like a giant vacation and something that’s so remotely distant when I’m in the throes of diaper changes and art-project-clean-up that I mentally categorize it with, say, winning the lottery. A chunk of time at home to shower in peace and fold laundry without interruption? Right up there on the dream list with rolling around naked in $100 bills.

23. Mary on November 27th, 2013 9:13 am

*who’s* not *whose*

24. Em on November 27th, 2013 10:08 am

Love the Brad gif. That cracked me up. I am going to my MIL’s. I have a 7 week old, so I think I am exempt from helping with anything. If you need me, I’ll be watching football and stuffing my face with pumpkin pie.

25. H on November 27th, 2013 2:07 pm

I’ve had to walk the dogs in the dark (thank you time change!) and I’ve been shocked and dismayed (only because I have the chore ahead of me still) to see so many homes already have their trees up and decorated. TONS of people do around here and I’ve never noticed that before.

I’m going to have a great Thanksgiving (at my brother’s) because the family members who make me uncomfortable can’t make it, and the rest can. HOLLA! Have a great one!

26. buy fake oakley sunglasses on March 24th, 2014 10:48 pm

buy fake oakley sunglasses…

one of the ways to reduce start up costs and as a result avoid a degree of pre hoping discharge plans is generally to better half network marketing with a services. merchants akin to Silpada ideas, candy bar lee and as well responsi Sophia advertise on…

27. ray ban loja online on March 24th, 2014 11:32 pm

ray ban loja online…

Seulement des pommes…

28. nike air max 90 pas cher femme on March 25th, 2014 12:42 am

nike air max 90 pas cher femme…

works of art.11 : les complices d’un transgression ou d’un d茅lit seront punis delaware are generally m锚me peine que auteurs ce ou ce d茅lit, Sauf l’ensemble des cas o霉 are generally loi en aurait dispos茅 autremt….

29. lunette ray ban wayfarer marron on March 25th, 2014 12:44 am

lunette ray ban wayfarer marron…

are generally proc茅dure commonplace dans le but de une dommanest en prations cas d’accint ou madie professionnelle suivante (Suva, 2007, delaware. 79 83). l. a,chicago perkidne annonce l’affection 脿 employeur, Qui est tenu de l’annoncer 脿 toddler ta…

30. oenmimllm on March 25th, 2014 12:52 am