Did you have a decent holiday week? I’m calling ours a success, despite at least fifty billion instances of having to tell the hyperactive children to calm the eff down and stop fighting/yelling/yodeling/tattling/running/pshew-pshew-pshewing/throwing/wrestling/burping. It’s extra hard to reinforce decent behavior when there are guests in the house, isn’t it? At least I always feel like I’m put under a parenting spotlight of some kind, and everything is made more difficult by the kids’ excitement at having their grandparents around. I found myself resorting to a lot of sotto voce offstage threats and surreptitious death glares, and I feel like I can actually see my bulging forehead stress-vein in the one family photo we got on Thanksgiving day:

Thanksgiving

(Obviously I missed the Plaid Memo.)

But all in all, it was good. Even with the bouts of restlessness, it was nice to live an obligation-free lifestyle for a few days. Back to the grind tomorrow, and I’m honestly both counting the minutes, and at the very same time, wishing the holiday could last just a little bit longer.

How was your Thanksgiving? Are you ready for the full-court-Christmas-press, or do you kind of wish you could hit fast-forward to January?

Comments

26 Responses to “Re-entry”

1. Pete on December 1st, 2013 7:39 pm

Gutted my downstairs bathroom. Nothing but fun in my house.

2. Jess on December 1st, 2013 7:51 pm

Been reading you for YEARS and I think you guys (and by “you guys” I mean Riley & Dylan) finally nailed the family photo! No out takes of crazy eyes or suspicious looks?! ;) Also, I feel like I’m fucking up parenting epically when my family is around.

3. H on December 1st, 2013 9:04 pm

I absolutely positively hated public parenting and I sucked at it. Despite not feeling well, I had the best Thanksgiving I’ve had in a very long time because one particular family member had other plans. In the next few days, we’re going from cold-ish to freakishly cold and no snow to several inches. I’m feeling OK about the holiday season but not so great about the weather.

Your family photo is fantastic!

4. Shana on December 1st, 2013 9:14 pm

You look so beautiful. Thank goodness you missed the plain memo.

I started a new part-time at home job, and man, Mondays take on a whole new meaning now. I am homeschooling 3 kids, plus renovating a home, and the kids are on a gymnastics team which takes so much of our time. Re-entry is tough.

The holidays were damn nice though.

5. Kelly on December 1st, 2013 9:19 pm

We had a good Thanksgiving at my sister’s. Trying hard to both simplify and jump into the Christmas prep as much as I can because in the next month we have our kid’s birthday, Christmas, several more family birthdays, we’re buying a house and moving. So I definitely want to find ways to enjoy all those things but yes, part of me wants to fast-forward right past the shopping, packing and stresses with some periodic stop-motion as kiddo stares in wonder at the Christmas tree (she sang it happy birthday), as she tries to blow out her birthday candles, etc.

6. sooboo on December 1st, 2013 9:40 pm

I had a good Thanksgiving except for one awkward moment when a family friend showed me (with no warning) before and after pictures of the family dog’s cremation! I am looking forward to the holidays for once because work has slowed down enough for me to enjoy life a bit more. Love that picture of the four of you. It does look a little like you are holding the kids in place!

7. Koa on December 1st, 2013 10:13 pm

I just always wonder, how do the dads always look so freaking calm in every family picture. It’s like they don’t have a care in the world. :-)

8. Christine on December 2nd, 2013 4:15 am

That is a great picture of you guys and your HAIR! Looks effin’ fantastic! I love the length on you. You look beautiful.

We had a really great holiday – although I was spared most of my stress since I didn’t have to drive to pick my mother up, bring her here, let her stay over and then drive her home. But that is a different post altogether, ifyouknowwhatImean..

Also! We got some much needed new appliances in a fabulous black Friday sale. I am beyond thrilled! (It’s our Christmas present to us!)

9. another sue on December 2nd, 2013 4:18 am

As a G’ma, let me just say – we had our public parenting horrors too. Most of us would prefer to be around non-devilish children. In my family, it would be perfectly acceptable (encouraged?) for you to ask me to stir while you excuse yourself and current offender to a private place for a private resolution.

10. Jessi on December 2nd, 2013 7:52 am

I second (third?) your hair; love the length! Mine was stressful with picking my dog up from surgery after getting a leg amputated (on Thanksgiving), my son puking as we pulled up to Grandma’s house for Thanksgiving, then spending the rest of the weekend with all of us getting sick and trying to keep a little dog from walking and licking incisions.

Back to work today. Kind of a relief in a sad way.

11. Endo on December 2nd, 2013 7:58 am

Also been a lurker/follower for many years. Not only have you found the absolute best hair ever, but remain amazingly sexy as those boys grow and grow and grow. Congrats.

12. Victoria on December 2nd, 2013 8:51 am

fast forward… please?

13. kendra on December 2nd, 2013 10:26 am

My kids put on their bickering pants for the whole week. They are 5, 3. Full-on. Drinking is not a part of my life as it is for you. It is a good thing because there isn’t a bottle of whiskey large enough to have numbed the bickery that ensued this last week.

14. Kim on December 2nd, 2013 11:23 am

I’m sorry if it’s redundant, but I have to add to the hair compliments; it always looks nice but it’s far surpassed that now – hot.
    We finally joined this decade & took advantage of a Black Friday (online) sale & got a biggish (46 inches isn’t what it used to be apparently) flat screen TV. The thought of actually seeing what goes on during the dark scenes of all my favorite shows has me extremely excited.

15. Shawna on December 2nd, 2013 12:26 pm

I LOOOOVE Christmas, so no fast-forwarding here! It wasn’t Thanksgiving up here, but we had a good weekend nonetheless: finally in the home stretch of a home reno with the end in sight. I’m hoping to be settled with the house in decent visitor-shape by Christmas!

16. Ashley on December 3rd, 2013 5:46 pm

At the behest and doe eyed questioning eyes of my 8 year old asking me if I “have any time off that is the same as my time off school?”, I took the whole week off with the school vacation to spend time with the big little and wee little… I have never felt so busy in my life! I swear I thought I was going to ’splode. I was counting the minutes to Re-Entry into my office doors for sure! As for Christmas countdown, I LOVE it and wish I had a half speed button… I love the warmth the Christmas baking brings the house and the fact that Christmas baking makes you “Merry”… Winter and early spring baking make you gluttonous… what’s up with that? I think next year I’ll just do Half’Days off…yeah…maybe that’s the ticket. Happy Holidays!

17. EssGee on December 4th, 2013 11:03 am

This was the first birthday & Thanksgiving that I didn’t have my son. That, combined with his father getting engaged to the….woman he left me for? I needed to be anywhere but home. I ran away to Kentucky for a long weekend, and it couldn’t have been a better decision! I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and was in excellent company. :) Making new traditions since my life exploded has been as fun as it has been difficult. I think that I’ll run away and travel for every holiday that I don’t have my son.

18. authentic louis vuitton on December 27th, 2013 7:41 am

louis vuitton hoodie
    [url=http://www.glenbenson.com/louis-vuitton/authentic-louis-vuitton.html]authentic louis vuitton[/url]

19. lgciwpseek on December 30th, 2013 2:12 pm

Re-entry : All & Sundry
    [url=http://www.gbbm6bshe74x32735qx0024r8k7lm3x7s.org/]ulgciwpseek[/url]
    lgciwpseek http://www.gbbm6bshe74×32735qx0024r8k7lm3×7s.org/
    algciwpseek

20. Michael Kors gold runway watch on February 17th, 2014 10:04 pm

What’s up, I desire to subscribe for this website to get newest updates, thus where can i do it please assist.
    Michael Kors gold runway watch

21. Michael Kors designer handbags on February 17th, 2014 10:13 pm

Whats Taking place i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It absolutely helpful and it has aided me out loads. I’m hoping to give a contribution & assist other customers like its aided me. Great job.
    Michael Kors designer handbags

22. ハイパーリンク on May 8th, 2014 9:57 pm

ハイパーリンク…

Re-entry : All & Sundry…

23. gagner de l argent de la maison on July 21st, 2014 7:39 pm

We’re a bunch of volunteers and starting a new scheme
    in our community. Your site provided us with helpful information to work on. You have performed a formidable process and
    our entire community will probably be grateful to you.

24. nasebook.Com on August 4th, 2014 8:03 pm

nasebook.Com…

Re-entry : All & Sundry…

25. blouson canada goose on August 11th, 2014 3:40 am

Re-entry : All & Sundry
    blouson canada goose

26. www.rousses.ws on September 24th, 2014 5:13 pm

Leѕ postt sont réellement attractifs

my site: http://www.rousses.ws