A million billion thank yous to those of you who suggested seeing Absinthe while we were in Vegas. We went to the show on Wednesday night, and the only way I could have possibly enjoyed it more is if the wooden folding chairs for the audience hadn’t been quite so unforgiving. It was absolutely worth my bruised spine, though, because holy shit what a show. I’m not even sure how to describe it — a bunch of Cirque-style acrobatics performances combined with hysterical comedy routines? Bawdy, politically incorrect as all hell, and jaw-droppingly impressive. We loved it so much we totally bought the goofy overpriced commemorative photo.

not awkwardly posed at all

Definitely go see that if you have a Vegas trip planned, and I also recommend dinner at SUSHISAMBA at the Venetian. It’s Japanese/Brazilian/Peruvian food, and while fusion places sometimes make me feel like that David Sedaris essay about Manhattan restaurants (“It’s hard to be a good sport when each dish seems to include no fewer than a dozen ingredients, one of which I’m bound to dislike. I’d order the skirt steak with a medley of suffocated peaches, but I’m put off by the aspirin sauce”), our meal was pretty much spectacular in every way.

Our room at the Venetian was ridiculously opulent, with a bathtub I’ll be dreaming about for years. God, it was such a treat being on our own for a few days, the luxurious surroundings and plethora of food options were just the cherry on top. I want to say that I missed the kids so much I couldn’t wait to come home … but. Well. That’s not quite. Oh, YOU know.

Comments

16 Responses to “Best trip. BEST.”

1. Alison V on January 21st, 2014 12:34 pm

I’m so glad you had a fantastic time. I have been dreaming of a kids free trip for awhile now, but for various reasons, it probably isn’t possible until next year. Until then, I will live vicariously. Yours sounds just lovely.

2. Alison V on January 21st, 2014 12:34 pm

Also – what a cute picture of you two!

3. Ashley on January 21st, 2014 1:36 pm

What a lovely picture of you two! And the synopsis of your trip=perfect. This post is my own confirmation of my first “kid free” trip ever and it’s for my 10th anniversary… I haven’t made the plans yet, but I’m thinking whatever size room comes with a gigantic bathtub!

4. Shannan on January 21st, 2014 2:31 pm

Thanks for the review! Next month I’m travelling to the US for the first time with my husband and no kids! We are doing New York, Las Vegas and LA (from Sydney). Think I will look into tickets for Absinthe – can’t wait!

5. Me on January 21st, 2014 3:22 pm

Sounds wonderful! I would love love love a kid-free trip.

6. Em on January 21st, 2014 3:24 pm

So I am posting with my phone and see that my name went in as Me. No, I am not that self-centered. :)

7. Amanda on January 21st, 2014 3:44 pm

Seriously, my best friend and I left that show feeling HIGH, it was so amazing. I’d see it again if I were in Vegas, and I’m not even exaggerating when I say it’s the reason I want to go back.

8. Beth on January 21st, 2014 6:23 pm

So glad you loved Absinthe! Hoping to go to Vegas in a few months and this post motivates me to make plans.

9. Angella on January 21st, 2014 9:28 pm

Sounds much like our Vegas trip a few years ago. We saw O, ate food, and slept in.

I was in no rush to get home, as much as I love my minions.

xo

10. Anonymous on January 22nd, 2014 8:37 am

Just the magical unicorn hair negates any goofiness. How do you do that? You should post a tutorial or something.

11. Annie on January 22nd, 2014 11:42 am

Jeez, I hope the Mom’s who love to grocery shop with their children don’t read that last line ! Glad you had a fantastic time, you two deserve it.

12. Maggie on January 22nd, 2014 12:00 pm

Glad you had a great time and that picture was worth every penny!

13. Sarah on January 22nd, 2014 12:21 pm

Yeah for fabulous child free breaks! And so happy to hear you loved Absinthe.

14. Sarah on January 22nd, 2014 12:22 pm

Or yay! As it should read. Not yeah. Oops.

15. Kristin on January 24th, 2014 8:14 am

That is a great picture of you guys. Your hair looks gorgeous!

16. Mary Clare on January 27th, 2014 7:36 am

Love the commemorative photo and your relaxed vacation smiles!