Dylan’s birthday celebration started last Friday as we drove to Sunriver and wrapped up last night with a happy plume of air blown over six candles. Six!

four of us

3 man sled

Sno park

SHARC pool

Deschutes Brewery

Sunriver house cupcakes

family pizza party

Last year when Dylan turned five I wrote down a list of some of his favorite things: whistlepigs, Daddy’s pancakes on weekend mornings, Curious George, cheese quesadillas, silly YouTube videos of cute animals, going to Cabelas. This year there are a few more things to add — playing Minecraft on the iPad, hiking in the woods at our friend Keith’s house, relentlessly begging for printouts of Google-Image-searched Gipsy Danger fan drawings so he can color them — but by and large, he hasn’t changed much at all in the last twelve months. He’s the same silly, happy, shy, weird, funny little guy.

You know how some years come with these nearly incomprehensibly giant leaps forward, children shrugging off their too-tight skins and running away giggling? And some are like the gift of an extra-long exposure, where you hope to burn the details into your mind. Light trails streaking all around, blur of movement, a sharp-focus smile. This is what he was like. I’m so glad for this amazing boy, yesterday and tomorrow and right now.

22 Responses to “Six”

1. LC on February 5th, 2014 8:46 pm

Just heart-swellingly beautiful. Your family, the smiles, your words. Thank you.

2. Eric's Mommy on February 5th, 2014 8:50 pm

Happy Birthday Dylan!

3. Jo on February 5th, 2014 10:07 pm

Beautifully written and gorgeous photos. Happy Birthday, Dylan, from New Zealand! I’ve been reading you since before Riley was born so the fact that Dylan is six, wowzers.

4. sooboo on February 5th, 2014 10:19 pm

Love seeing your beautiful family grow up. It really is heart warming. Happy Birthday Dylan!

5. Donna on February 5th, 2014 10:25 pm

6!!! Wow. I can’t believe it!

And ya’ll look great!

6. Sarah on February 5th, 2014 11:33 pm

Beautifully said as always. Happy birthday to your boy.

7. Michelle on February 6th, 2014 3:39 am

Happy birthday Dylan! As usual you killed me with the last paragraph. Sob!

8. JB on February 6th, 2014 4:01 am

This is so lovely, Linda.

I think maybe I feel the long exposure you speak of more with my second child. First time around its all new and exciting and scary and worrying especially with my uptight change resistant first born… the second time you can see through to the other side and enjoy the moment better.

Happy birthday, Dylan!

9. Shawna on February 6th, 2014 7:49 am

Aw! Happy birthday Dylan!

10. Shawna on February 6th, 2014 7:52 am

Also, is Google right: a whistlepig is a groundhog? Or am I missing out on an essential piece of kid culture my own almost-six-year-old would enjoy?

11. Dawn on February 6th, 2014 9:20 am

Dylan is SIX? That’s not possible.

12. Christy on February 6th, 2014 9:21 am

Happy Birthday, Dylan!

13. Courtney on February 6th, 2014 10:52 am

Happy birthday Dylan!

Linda, could you please write these things on my behalf, for our daughter. I have all the same feelings, but lack the ability to put them to words so beautifully. Thanks for sharing your talent with us!

14. Mary Clare on February 6th, 2014 11:28 am

Lovely photos and words to capture Dylan’s birthday! I am connected to your stories about your boys, especially Dylan, since he is about the same age as my daughter. Thanks for your insights, as usual.

15. Cindy on February 6th, 2014 2:54 pm

Perfect place for a fabulous birthday. We’re headed to Sunriver next week and plan to hit some of the same places. Love SHARC and the tubing hill!

16. Jae on February 7th, 2014 11:14 am

Happy birthday!

Also, you’re beautiful!

17. Frannie on February 8th, 2014 9:11 am

Thank you. I really love the cake…I can’t help but feel all this go big or go home crap, and as a single mom, I even get this weird ” judgment”. God, I’m just over the fakeness of it. But your family is full of warmth and just looks awesome. That. That is everything.

18. April on February 9th, 2014 7:53 pm

6 years! I have been reading you since before he was born! Happiest of birthdays, little man.

I have my own baby boy now, and reading your blog makes me look forward to all the love and joy ahead. Your writing always gets me right in the feels. My boy is such a sweet baby I want him to stay like this forever, but I know it’s just going to get better and better. (Especially once he can sleep through the night, oh please let it be soon.)

19. on October 31st, 2014 9:00 am
  20. Prada Mens Sunglasses Amazon on July 16th, 2015 11:56 pm

Bi Adi and Nike stronger, so they help the team bought a fourteen satisfaction to know why you did not give praise it? I just shopping is praise, five-star, but this time you do too bad, fluorescent green jersey, red pants, and asked not to be returned to you, you just do not respond.
    Prada Mens Sunglasses Amazon

21. ray ban modell 5227 on October 25th, 2015 9:08 pm

It will be like the next time you need caring, praise praise baby to the good quality, genuine very beautiful, very suitable to wear, like praise and sellers to describe the baby and good quality, style look good, very good polarized, it is like.
    ray ban modell 5227

22. project x ost - ray ban vision mp3 download on November 2nd, 2015 8:15 pm

This package let me earn enough to face, oversized card, super love, put this package temperament instant upgrade, friends say very good boyfriend bought this bag before white, very beautiful, this is the second, and Valley has been like red bag, the quality is really good! This package is very good quality, fine workmanship and reasonable level design, great quality zipper is very strong, like the description of this package and the seller is very good quality, simple and elegant, the grade, thank the seller to send a small gift, logistics and fast, very satisfied with the quality of this bag once shopping is good, I like, very satisfied, and is the same as described above.
    project x ost – ray ban vision mp3 download