It snowed last Thursday, and the flakes kept coming down all through the day on Friday. Then it changed to freezing rain, and by Saturday morning it was like everything had been dipped in a half-inch coating of glass. Branches drooped with the unfamiliar icy weight, and soon trees started breaking apart and coming down with the heart-sinking tinkling crash of a collapsing champagne tower. Big green flashes from blown transformers, canceled plans, cabin fever creeping in. This suuuuucks, I moaned, leaving an oily noseprint on the window. Stare, stare, paw at the door like a cooped-up dog, pick my way across the crusted-over snow and screw up my face with a big AW SHIT when my foot plunges into bone-cold wetness. Ugh.

Riley, from the backseat of our truck as we skidded carefully down the street on Saturday afternoon: “Well, soon enough this will all be gone and it’ll be back to how it always is, just like you wanted. And it won’t be different any more.”

He was right. I mean, it is back to how it always is, for the most part. Wet and February-ish, with extra sogginess from the leftover slush. Dirt and debris everywhere from all those fallen trees. Everyone back in school, no snowmen to build, that strange icy wonderland already fading in the rearview.

ic

fam

birds

Comments

16 Responses to “Just like you wanted”

1. Thursday on February 12th, 2014 2:32 am

Since we moved to a small European country 3 years ago, it’s snowed every winter but, so far, hasn’t this year. Much as I whinge about the freezing cold and walking like a penguin across icy ground when it does I’ve missed the stark sparkliness.

2. NancyB on February 12th, 2014 4:19 am

We live in the southern part of Connecticut at the border of “all snow” and “mix of snow and freezing rain”. I’ve witnessed many storms like yours and they suuuuccckk!
    Next one starts tonight and we’ve moved in to the “all snow” category – fingers crossed!
    Riley’s right – soon it’ll be just like it was but it can’t come soon enough. Neither can spring!

3. Katharine on February 12th, 2014 7:38 am

From the mouths of babes. What a catch he’s going to be one day.

4. Elizabeth on February 12th, 2014 8:54 am

Looks like you got a Townsend’s Warbler in the mix! (http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/townsends_warbler/id) Based on their range map, that looks pretty rare for your area. Storms can bring out some really interesting bird behavior. My mother is in Georgia and she had the weirdest birds in her yard yesterday because of the impending snow.

5. H on February 12th, 2014 9:33 am

Riley: the wise old owl perched in the back seat.

I love the bird photo. That would make a wonderful framed print or note card.

6. Jillian on February 12th, 2014 11:31 am

PLEASE write a novel. You string words together in such a beautiful way, even when you’re writing about the most mundane things. I would read a full-length Linda Sharps work in a heartbeat.

7. Alison on February 12th, 2014 11:44 am

Your pictures make me realize how much I’m not doing with my big fancy camera. I need a class or something, but I’m stuck out in BFE. I love Riley’s point – but I’ll still dream of summer somewhere warm.

8. Jane K. on February 12th, 2014 12:12 pm

Great post and perfect reminder, “…. and it won’t be different anymore.” Thank you for this … and YES write a book!!

9. perl on February 12th, 2014 7:23 pm

Yes! A Townsend’s warbler (migrating through) and a gang o’ bushtits (cutest teeny birds who happen to have the best name ever)! I was totally nerding out at the bird feeders over the weekend. I think the birds ate better than my kids did.

And wow, Reilly – way to be profound! I have resolved to not complain about the rain ever again. I had bruises on my shins from that crusty top layer of snow and almost went insane from cabin fever and the extra “snow days.” Kids will be in school until July at this rate.

10. squandra on February 12th, 2014 10:12 pm

Augh I love this. Kids are so good at life, sometimes. (And you’re a hell of a writer.)

11. Phoebe on February 14th, 2014 9:49 am

Fantastic writing, as usual.

Reminds me of why I do love winter, for all my complaining.

I could never live somewhere with no seasonal changes; It’s that feeling of “and then it won’t be different anymore”. The cold helps time slow down, just a bit. I almost dread the spring/summer lately because of the way the time just flies through them.

12. Diane on February 15th, 2014 6:09 am

Sorry but I’m not a fan of “different” anymore. I’ve lived in central Connecticut for 25 years and the winters are getting longer and crazier every year, or so it seems. I’m ready for some boring old spring warmth.

13. Jennifer on February 16th, 2014 4:14 pm

Thanks Perl for confirming the Bushtits on the feeder and ID’ing that Warbler! Bushtits are so adorable – they travel in little packs and seem to all be connected via a single hive-mind.

Riley’s a sage. And I agree with him – while I’m glad we’re not in a drought or a flood zone, it would be great to have “something different” for just a little while. Jealous of your snowy adventures.

14. Ami on February 21st, 2014 10:36 pm

My son is one month older than Riley (July 30, 2005). We had a random snow here in Seattle a month-ish ago and he was beside himself. Wanting me to watch it out the window! Etc! Snow!!!

Um, I hear you. That is all.

15. Ronald on July 6th, 2014 9:43 am

I see a lot of interesting content on your blog. You have to spend a lot of time writing, i know how to save you a lot of time, there is a
    tool that creates unique, google friendly articles in couple of seconds, just type in google – laranita’s
    free content source

16. tiffany 39s cabaret buffalo ny on December 16th, 2014 2:06 am

I would go black leather, something with at least two big pockets and a couple smaller ones, and the top should close securely so that when it gets a toss the contents don spill out.
    tiffany 39s cabaret buffalo ny http://www.ceafocamonaca.it/public/abc2/66.asp