Dylan on his birth day in 2008:

And on Sunday:

Boy, nothing painfully crumples the concept of time into your forehead like having a kid. And even when faced with irrefutable proof that exactly a decade has gone by since he made his arrival, I can’t quite grab ahold of it: it feels like a thousand years, like endless tectonic shifts have taken place, like I’m an entirely different person! … it feels like yesterday.

It is above all else impossible to imagine a world before there was a Dylan. He is such an integral part of our lives, the critical ingredient that makes up our family dynamic. He’s the silliest one, the scatterbrain, the youngest who loves being babied — and also the most inscrutable, the eerie total recall marvel, the child who not only notices but compliments your new shirt.

I love that birthdays provide this opportunity to remember what was, while celebrating what is. I love that we’ve had ten years with this kid. I love the boundless possibilities of what his future will bring, and the adventure of seeing it all unfold.

Comments

13 Responses to “Dylan is 10”

1. Tricia on February 5th, 2018 4:14 pm

I love that your words are here forever for him to read, now and/or later. What a gift your thoughts and feelings are to your sons. Enjoy the celebration!

2. Jill on February 5th, 2018 5:02 pm

I found your blog when you were pregnant with Dylan…as I was pregnant as well. Have been reading ever since. I can’t believe they’re 10. Happy Happy Birthday, Dylan!

3. Janet on February 5th, 2018 5:32 pm

Happy Birthday to Dylan! I’ve been reading your amazing writing since before he was born :) I love everything you write, I’m glad you’re posting again. And I LOVE that you’re wearing a DogRates shirt! We quote Dog Rates and @Darth around here all the time :D

4. Ter on February 6th, 2018 6:02 am

How is he 10 already? I remember when you wrote his birth story. You’re right, feels like it was just yesterday. Happy birthday Dylan!

5. Sharon on February 6th, 2018 6:21 am

Wow, I remember your sleepless night stories when he was little.

6. Mary Clare on February 6th, 2018 11:26 am

Such a sweet tribute to Dylan! 10 is such a wonderful age. My 9 year old will be rounding that bend soon. I love the innocence, compassion, and desire to be helpful.

7. Andrea on February 6th, 2018 7:14 pm

You guys have the same beautiful smile. Happy Birthday to ALL of you.

8. Wanda on February 6th, 2018 9:53 pm

Happy birthday to Dylan! I was reading your blog before he was born, can’t believe it’s been ten years. He seems to be turning into a great young man. Can’t wait for the teenage stories for both boys.

9. jennb33 on February 7th, 2018 7:19 am

Happy decade! My youngest turns 10 in May… only 8 more years to freedom! Blessings to us all.

10. Sara on February 7th, 2018 11:31 am

I have a 10 year old and a 7 year old and you perfectly captured your son, your awe, and the bittersweet mindfuck that is every year of our children’s lives. How do they pass so quickly? And how did I get so old and still feel so not old?
    Happy Birthday to Dylan and also to you, his Mama.

11. Colleen on February 7th, 2018 12:38 pm

This is gorgeous. Happy 10th birthday to your baby boy!

12. April on February 8th, 2018 5:53 am

Mine turned 10 today (2/8) and holy heck, how do we have children in double digits?! This is crazy to me.

13. LORI CHADA on February 9th, 2018 9:49 am

Happy Birthday To Dylan. Wow! I remember when he was born. Love the last picture, looks like the dog is photo bombing! LOL