July 14, 2006

We have slowly been moving the stuff from our old bedroom into the new room, and in doing so I cleaned out an entire closet of ancient, dusty piles of clothing. I have a bad habit of buying crappy Old Navy t-shirts, then deciding that even I have some standards and banishing them to an ever-growing stack of ugly, ill-fitting shirts that apparently were designed for the specific purpose of highlighting bra-strap pudgerolls.

Into the donation bag they went – all of them, along with any jeans that took the term “low rise” way too seriously, a too-long shirt that I stupidly cut with a pair of scissors in the hopes a ragged, uneven hem might be fashionable some day, a boxy denim skirt that would make Kate Moss look like a lumbering wildebeest, and a pair of ungodly white fleece-y sweatpants that attract every pet hair within a fifty mile radius.

In the process I discovered at least five pairs of pants that I had hidden away at the start of my pregnancy last year, around the time that I embraced a tender, emotional relationship with Mint Milano cookies and could theorize that my expanding waistline was certainly due to the growing baby, never mind that he was about the size of a pencil eraser. Postpartum, I still couldn’t fit into them, and so kept them stuffed in the back of the closet in favor of roomier styles.

I tried everything on yesterday, and I was thrilled to find that all my old size 10s fit now. The size 8s, not so much, but the size 10s finally fit again. Believe me, I haven’t been dieting, so I think my body has just taken this long to reassemble itself into the same basic shape as before.

The same basic shape, but not exactly the same: my belly is squashier, and weirdly…I don’t know, kind of loose? Saggy. Well, of course. I mean, at one point it looked like this:

35weeks.jpg

And now it looks like this:

postbelly.jpg

I took that photo today because of this website (found via Amy). I spent some time on there this morning, looking at image after image of bodies that don’t fit within our societal ideals of beauty. I mean, to be completely honest my first reaction was one of surprise and disbelief, because it is so incredibly foreign to me that anyone would show that part of their body if it didn’t look like what you would expect a naked, displayed belly to look like – taut, tanned, smooth, muscled – but the more I looked the more I felt amazed and in awe and proud of those women. To show your body in all its reality is to take a step towards owning it, and a step away from it owning you.

I am not a confident person with a good body image. I look in the mirror and I see flaw after flaw after flaw. I am terrified of hitting this “publish” button. Every alarm bell in my head is going off. I have been staring at this web page for an hour, trying to work up the nerve to show you a part of myself that I normally keep hidden even from my own husband.

But the thing is, this is me. Right now. This is my body. I own it.

Comments

97 Responses to “Secrets in our skin”

1. Carrie on July 14th, 2006 2:58 pm

I so admire you for that dear! I mean, it’s really not bad, you are lovely. My tummy is a being all of it’s own. (Um, and I adopted!) But I know it’s all relevant. And I’m proud of you! Not brave enough to do the same thing, but happy for you. Do you feel a sense of freedom now?

2. Caitlin on July 14th, 2006 3:00 pm

Be proud of that strong, beautiful body, girl! You are so brave to post this, but really, why need you be brave? You are whole and healthy and lovely–why is it so hard for us to just be who we are? Oh right, the clavicle crew we see paraded every day. But fuck them. You look great.

3. pippa on July 14th, 2006 3:01 pm

Welcome to the world of the c-section belly. It will NEVER look the same. But wow, girl… you have guts. I don’t even post me covered up. :)

4. cbrks12 on July 14th, 2006 3:04 pm

You look great! And you have a wonderful beautiful baby boy…

You are so brave. There isn’t a monitor my belly would fit on!

5. Heather on July 14th, 2006 3:06 pm

You’re fucking beautiful, girl. I love that you posted this picture.

6. Kirsten on July 14th, 2006 3:06 pm

YES!!!! I heart you Sundry and your REAL take on life. You are beautiful and girl, I haven’t even had kids yet and you’re body is way more slammin than mine! hehe
    Good for you – I fuckin love it!!

7. laura on July 14th, 2006 3:06 pm

Mine looks just like that. We can be belly buddies.

8. Leah on July 14th, 2006 3:06 pm

At 38 1/2 weeks right now, I’m pretty nervous about how I’ll look in the future. But you look beautiful. And brave!

9. Jem on July 14th, 2006 3:09 pm

I admire you for that too! And I wouldn’t worry at all. I think you’re sooooo beautiful and funny and everything, and I really look up to you. This is sort of embarassing for me to admit, but I wish my stomach looked half as good as yours. And I haven’t even had kids.

Celebrities aren’t real anyway. Their whole lives are devoted to keeping up an image. If you had 8 hours a day to do what people like Victoria Beckham probably do (not eat and work out and get plastic surgery to suck in your stomach while probably still in the hospital after giving birth) then yeah you would probably look like them, but no one worthwhile would look up to you for that.

I feel really stuck between wanting to tell you that I think your stomach looks fine and you have nothing to worry about (um, but it feels creepy talking so much about your stomach, so not in a creepy way) and wanting to say you’re so brave for posting that, except I don’t want the “you’re brave” thing to sound like I think you shouldn’t be showing anyone that. I don’t really mean it like that, I just think that I’m glad you are, and I think it will help a lot of people.

And I wouldn’t be shy about it in front of JB. I used to be uncomfortable in front of my boyfriend, until I realised all the other girls he used to be with were probably uncomfortable with similar bodies (except for the strippers he dated, damn them), and I might as well be the one who was confident and just didn’t give a damn!

Sorry this was long. I think I’m trying to work things out about MY body in my own head. :) Now I’m the one feeling stupid for hitting the publish button!

10. mandy on July 14th, 2006 3:18 pm

I had to say this to you:

When I *met* you, pregnant…I was so insanely jealous of how beautiful you looked pregnant. As your belly grew, nothing else seemed to. It makes me ill, even now to think of it. :) But seriously, although this “part” may be different than it was pre-riley, it is still perfect. You look teeny and I hate you. The end. But seriously, you look wonderful and I am sure everyone who visits you here will agree. I still hate you though.

11. Emily on July 14th, 2006 3:22 pm

Dude, my belly is the same way, and I HAVEN’T had a kid. It’s weird … I’m blaming it on the government. Anyway, rock on with that self-esteem, yo!

12. Julie on July 14th, 2006 3:23 pm

One hot mama.

13. Bitter Betty on July 14th, 2006 3:39 pm

Your body is beautiful. It gave life to your child and every breath you both take is a miracle.

My body is wracked with stretchmarks, some brand new (yay! not) from cancer complications. But I’m alive and at the moment OK. My body might not be perfect but it’s still living and damn right I’m proud of these battle scars. They remind me of what I’ve been through and what strength I have.

And this is what I tell myself every time I slather on stretchmark lotion.

14. J on July 14th, 2006 4:24 pm

Thank you so much for posting this, Sundry. You have a lot of courage to overcome your own doubts. You are beautiful–all of you.

I struggle living within my skin in a different, yet similar, way. I’m not a mother but I’ve lost over 100 pounds (and still have a little way to go to be where I want) though diet and exercise. The best way I can describe my body is “deflated balloon”. No amount of shea butter or exercise makes the kind of impact I wish. With my clothes on, I usually feel fabulously sexy. But off I struggle greatly with the scars of what I used to weigh.

It’s something that isn’t talked about. Just as, more commonly, physical changes through pregnancy are not. I really appreciate you highlighting that website and your own experience.

15. Kelly on July 14th, 2006 4:30 pm

You are just awesome. Damned awesome. I’ve already had one kid and am working on the next, but I’m hoping I have the courage and looking forward to the day that I can be as honest with myself as you’ve been today. Honest. Brave. Amazing.

16. Anna on July 14th, 2006 4:39 pm

I’m the same pants size, belly looks the same, same c-section scar, and I lost 40 lbs. post baby to get here. Still struggling with wearing a bathing suit tomorrow…

You rock for publishing this, and give me courage to feel comfortable in my skin. Don’t you wish we could see ourselves the way we see other people?

17. Kristen on July 14th, 2006 4:55 pm

1) You are totally brave.
    2) You are totally beautiful.
    3) You are totally inspiring.

18. Wendy on July 14th, 2006 5:09 pm

You are so right! I have to say I was shocked when I saw the photo, not because of how you look, but because it just seemed too intimate to display. But, at almost a year postpartum with my second child I’m also having to come to terms with my new body which looks just like yours. There’s nothing wrong that!!

19. Kari on July 14th, 2006 5:24 pm

I look just like you, strangely sagging belly and all. Almost like there’s excess skin right? Yeah. But there is something very strange happening. I keep losing the chub, only to get it back less than a week later. I’ve been eating well constantly, so that’s not it. It’s so frustrating to think “oh, sweet! it’s gone! yay! wasn’t expecting that, but wooo!” only to be proven wrong several days later. But. You and that website make me realize that I SHOULD buy a two-piece for my vacation.I should show my belly. It’s a badge of motherhood. I should wear it proudly, instead of despising it the way I have. BUT! That doesn’t mean I’m going to stop trying…. hehe.

Now I want to take a picture of my belly and put it on the internet. HAH! No, I’m not as brave as you.

20. Dawna on July 14th, 2006 5:24 pm

I don’t know what else to say but thank you =)

21. thejunebug on July 14th, 2006 5:34 pm

You are beautiful, Linda. Absolutely, sweetly beautiful.

22. Contrary on July 14th, 2006 5:38 pm

You’re a brave woman. Braver than I, to be perfectly honest. I MIGHT could be be convinced to post a picture of my matronly upper arms, but that would be as far as I go.

Good for you. Also, you look great, especially considering how big that same belly got when you were pregnant. Did that kid really need all that space? Was he having wine tastings in there or something?

23. Alex on July 14th, 2006 5:38 pm

Sundry, I love you. I absolutely, positively fuckin’ love you.

24. Robin on July 14th, 2006 5:52 pm

Thank you so much for posting this. You are amazing.

25. Mona on July 14th, 2006 6:18 pm

I hope more women publish pictures of their post-partum bodies. There’s something very awe-inspiring about revealing the un-photoshopped self.

26. K on July 14th, 2006 6:21 pm

Wow, your belly looks great! I wish we all had the courage to be comfortable in our own skins. How sad that we feel so compelled to hide our beautiful, healthy bodies.

27. christen on July 14th, 2006 6:26 pm

Um, yours looks better than mine and I have NOT had a baby. So yeah.

28. oregoncoastgirl on July 14th, 2006 6:32 pm

excellent. and beautiful.

29. honeybecke on July 14th, 2006 6:58 pm

You are woman, and we hear your roar.
    thank you.

30. jonniker on July 14th, 2006 7:01 pm

I think you look wonderful.

(and yeah. I’m with Christen. Same as or better than mine and I’m still pre-pregnancy, pre-partum, whatevs. Right. Hitting the gym tomorrow.

31. Elissa on July 14th, 2006 7:05 pm

You’re beautiful. Inside and out.

32. Sparkles Anon! on July 14th, 2006 7:55 pm

Beautiful belly, mamma. :)

33. Waya on July 14th, 2006 7:58 pm

My hat’s off to you for being so brave! That was a great read!

34. Kristin on July 14th, 2006 8:23 pm

Your belly looks like mine, and I am extremely pleased to see that you also have a faint brown line. (Why, the faint brown line, why?)

You’re inspiring, friend.

35. Carolyn J. on July 14th, 2006 8:41 pm

Holy shit! You have some cojones girl. I hate posting my face even, so I can only bow down to your Bold Move.

I always thought you make a fairly Yummy Mummy anyway.

36. ClubJemma » on July 14th, 2006 9:42 pm

[...] Sundry linked to this website today, and posted her own entry on the topic, and my goodness. I’ve never been pregnant, but I often feel insecure about my body anyway, and now I feel so much better to know that there’s so many people feeling the same way, even the ones who I just assumed looked perfect underneath their clothes. I would write more on this but I don’t have much time, so I’ll write more about it next time. For now, I’m just trying to post those photos of me, even if I don’t like the way I look in them, and trying to deal with the fact that I’m normal. [...]

37. Holly on July 14th, 2006 10:01 pm

Dude, Shut it, you’re a MILF! :) Seriously, me thinks you looks dang good little lady! My favorite is the Big Bellay shots though, so friggen cute, I wish I could just have a big belly like that and keep the rest the same :)

38. Chiara on July 14th, 2006 10:15 pm

Looking forward to making out with you on Monday because you = so hot.

39. fuzzy on July 14th, 2006 11:05 pm

It bugs me how many of us moms responded here by saying “Awesome, but I could never do that.” I’m not blaming anyone, but I am wondering if we shouldn’t all rethink that. What if we ALL had the courage to be open about our post-baby bodies, even posting pictures? Wouldn’t that help change the perception that all women should have perfectly flat stomachs six weeks after birth? Wouldn’t that help us, our friends, and later our daughters NOT find our own bodies repulsive?

My daughter is eight months old. I’ve been mulling over writing about how I sort of love my already-fading starburst of stretch marks on my belly. It’s like– a seal, or something like that. An indication of what she and I went through together. I think you’ve just nudged me enough to get me to sit down and think through it. It’s worth recording for my daughter to read someday, and it might just help me love “the skin I’m in” a little better.

Thanks, Linda.

40. Hot-mommy on July 14th, 2006 11:10 pm

hey! when did you sneak into my house and take a pic. Okay so really that is pretty much where i am at too, and i have 2. be a beauty you are a WOMAN!!! men only see the hotty clothes anyway! there are much worse off truly. embrace the maternal junk, it too will pass.

41. Pete on July 14th, 2006 11:17 pm

Wow, looks just like my wife’s did, including the C scar. You will find that as you loose more weight the skin gets more, how should I say, Shar-Pei like. The up side is you get to make funny faces with the skin when you squish it together ;-)

Good post.

42. Lucy on July 14th, 2006 11:29 pm

God, this is awesome.

I’m 25, and I’m planning on having children in the future and I love love love the shit out of you for showing me that a body – pre childbirth/ post childbirth – is a beautiful thing that is built to do exactly what yourself and millions of mothers have done .

I love that a woman I look up to doesn’t lie to me about what to expect.

So thank you.

43. Widya on July 14th, 2006 11:59 pm

You look great, Sundry. Some men wear their battle scars with pride, women should wear their pregnancy scars/stretch marks with pride too. To have carried a child to term, and to bring him or her into the world through all the discomfort and pain, is noble.

44. Donna on July 15th, 2006 12:52 am

Dude, when I was your age I was all embarrassed by my tummy cuz I’d had two kids, stretch marks, two c sections, and they were from my belly button to my pubic bone, and I thought that I was all funny looking.
    Little did I know that my tummy is not nearly as bad now that the boobs are going, if I’d known I’d have run around with it hanging out all the time. Just try to get a tan on it, it’ll look better, and 20 years from now you’ll give money if you could have your tummy look as good as it does now, no matter how ugly you think it is.

45. fifi on July 15th, 2006 1:01 am

What I love about reading you Sundry, is I can never predict whether you’ll make a tear spring to my eye; (the last nappy) or have me shaking with laughter (kneepads in trousers facilitating bj’s) , or make me look again at my (nearly menopausal ) belly, and think “Down with body fascism!”
    You look friggin’great, girl. You don’t need the validation of others, you’re not dieting like your image mattered more than who you are . Victoria Beckham and Kate Moss make money from what they look like, so it’s awful for them if a “real” picture of them sneaks into the press. I remember seeing “candid” beach photos of the gorgeous Jerry Hall, in the newspapers, which showed that she had *shudder*cellulite. Viva reality. If you bear children, your body may take up to three years to get “back to normal” , something a C-section spares you. The Glaswegian joke about sex post-partum being like “chucking a Mars bar up a close” is an apt description.( A close is a communal hallway, fyi! )
    So, I bet JB adores your C-scar, honey!

46. Lesley on July 15th, 2006 4:09 am

May I ask what underwear you are wearing in that photo? They look immensely comfortable and flattering. Your belly looks pretty darned good to me.

Not counting, um, food babies, I have never given birth and yet I’m loose in the tummy and have the dreaded handles. (Unfortunately for no reason I can be proud of unless the quality of my babies – belgian chocolate – make them worthy!)

47. Lesley on July 15th, 2006 4:14 am

P.S. Reading through the comments, I think …well… can we all agree that Pete needs to go in the woodchipper? :) Sharpei and funny faces…MY ASS.

48. Shawna on July 15th, 2006 5:48 am

Are you sure that’s you? ‘Cause I would, in fact, swear that’s ME! I look exactly like that, right down to the c-section scar and the fold at the top of the belly button. No need for me to publish such a picture – I can just link to you and let you be the gutsy one! Yay for Sundry! You rock, you know that?

49. Gentry on July 15th, 2006 5:48 am

You guys are so wierd! **Everyone** looks like that! I see near naked women every day and that is what they **all** look like. Even thin (like size 4 & 6) women have the same stomach. Do you guys not know this about each other? I’m totally surprised! And with our without baby, midsections get fleshy the minute you hit 30. Stretchmarks are the norm. If not on your tummy, then certainly on your thighs.

If you got 50 women in a room and all lifted your t-shirts, you’d see it’s true. We don’t need to own any deformity. We’re all completely normal!

50. HollowSquirrel on July 15th, 2006 7:19 am

Honey, you look fabulous. I have the pale-chicken-pox-scarred version of your post-baby belly. And well, that’s me now. So worth it.

51. Sarah on July 15th, 2006 7:49 am

Thank you for posting this! As an avid runner with a fairly toned stomach, and as one who is considering entering motherhood, I really had no idea what a post-partum stomach looked like. It has (shallowly) been something I’m concerned about. I can see now that, although it will certainly change, it will still be beautiful. You are gorgeous, and it is wonderful that you posted this, knowing how hard it is to do that. Your writing, personality, and entire being is such a positive guide for the rest of us!

52. justmouse on July 15th, 2006 8:07 am

never doubt that you are beautiful. inside AND out.

53. Michelle on July 15th, 2006 8:08 am

I just found that same website yesterday and I’m thrilled to see this picture of you. You look absolutely beautiful. As you can see, mommies and non-mommies alike admire you and thank you for this.

Rock that sexy mommy belly!

54. Jules on July 15th, 2006 8:19 am

Hey, looks like a damn fine – and totally NORMAL – belly to me! You also have a really cute, teensy waist! What’s the problem?
    It’s been said a trillion times before but we are SO attuned by the media to the extremes of weight – images of celebs who are 50% the healthy weight for their age/height, and tanned and glossed and PR’d (also, incidentally, incredibly unhealthy and skeletal and I don’t give a shit what Keira whats-her-face says about being “strong” and “healthy”, she is ILL), or conversely, medically obese and equally dangerous bods – that we forget what real normal healthy womanly bodies look like, and end up believing we as individuals are freaks. So, kudos and thanks for keeping it real. Embrace the belly!

55. clearlydistracted on July 15th, 2006 8:27 am

Thank you. I had my third baby in October and lately have been dealing with some real self-loathing because my body hasn’t snapped back like it did after my first two. I consider myself a fairly reasonable and realistic person, but I guess I was literally convinced that NO ONE ELSE IN THE WORLD has a stomach that looks like mine. Your post brought tears to my eyes. Over something as stupid as a belly. I feel like an idiot.

56. Mandy on July 15th, 2006 8:48 am

You look wonderful! You look like a real woman. A gorgeous mother.

57. Erin on July 15th, 2006 9:00 am

You’re amazing. Regardless of what your stomach looks like today, or any day. You carried Riley for (almost) 9 months and that is something to be proud of. Battle scars!

Not to mention the majority of women don’t look a thing like those we see in magazines or on tv.

I think you look great and you’re awesome for posting the pic. :)

Thanks!!

58. chillier on July 15th, 2006 9:05 am

You look beautiful!

59. Annie on July 15th, 2006 9:31 am

I haven’t lost all my baby weight yet so my tummy doesn’t sag, so much as it still looks like there is a baby inside. I’d take squishy if I could get into my size tens again. I’m right there with you trying to accept this new phase of my body. Hope this was liberating for you. Cute undies. :)

60. Melissa on July 15th, 2006 9:48 am

Being 41 weeks pregnant and not having met my baby yet, I can only imagine how much differently I will feel about my stretch-marked belly once he’s here. Right now it is just the physical changes I see; it is a loss of the only way I saw myself until now. I wondered how long it would take to “get my body back.” But after reading your post and seeing the other photos on shapeofamother, I’ve realized that it’s ok if I don’t look the same afterwards–why should everything look or feel the same when this is the biggest change of my life? My belly is a small sacrifice to make and he will totally be worth it.

You and all other mothers are amazingly beautiful. THANK YOU for sharing this with us.

61. nancy on July 15th, 2006 10:31 am

You go girl! My body looks remarkably similar to yours, complete with the C-section scar.

The funny thing about my post-baby body is that although by traditional standards of beauty it is, well, not pretty, but by my new standard, it is beautiful. I love my body more now than I ever have. I look at all it can do (like make and feed a human!) and am amazed by it. Who would have ever thought?

Anyway … yay you for taking & posting the picture!

62. squandra on July 15th, 2006 11:32 am

I am so, so proud of you for doing that. Is that weird?

You look beautiful.

63. wn on July 15th, 2006 2:05 pm

You ROCK!
    I loved that site…

64. dorrie on July 15th, 2006 2:33 pm

Thank you.

65. LLL on July 15th, 2006 3:57 pm

You look great – real. I look pretty much the same with a 6 month old. It took courage to post your belly pic, but as you can tell, none of us look like Jessica Alba and we are real women. By the way, it my group the bra rolls known as “bra sausage” – and yes we all have that too.

66. Genie on July 15th, 2006 5:36 pm

You look beautiful! Thanks for posting.

67. Laura on July 15th, 2006 6:15 pm

thank you! thank you! thank you!

68. americangirl on July 15th, 2006 7:24 pm

Thank you! Now I know I’m not alone in the squishy belly department–it is something we ought to wear with pride, and that our husbands ought to take delight in (because, um, 24 hours of labor? deserves SOMETHING.). Thank you again.

69. Dillygirl on July 15th, 2006 7:28 pm

I LOVE this. Love this. Thank you for being so transparent. I just had a c-section 4 weeks ago and you’ve helped me to embrace not only my hope to someday fit into my size 10s again, but to be proud of my body and that pesky scar.

70. Laurabelle on July 15th, 2006 7:38 pm

Lovely. Thank you for posting your picture. I never had nor intend to have kids but will never look as good as you do now. Your scar looks like it’s healing beautifully.

Thanks particularly for introducing me to that website. I’m going to send it to my sister-in-law who is expecting her first child in three weeks or so.

71. Donna on July 15th, 2006 7:45 pm

This is me, applauding you!

72. Stacey on July 15th, 2006 7:51 pm

De-lurking to say: BRAVO! You rock.

73. Holly on July 15th, 2006 9:27 pm

by the way, you don’t have any stretch marks at all… wtf up w/ that? My moms belly is a purple road map of us kids! :) I’m sure I’ll have scar’a'palooza when I finally have my own little tots! Your stomache still looks like a normal stomache, except for the little C scar which is a sweet reminder of how Riley came into the world!

74. Holly on July 15th, 2006 9:28 pm

Err um… Stomach :) durrr

75. Susie on July 15th, 2006 9:40 pm

::sob:: Good on ya, woman! I, too, had a c-section and it is somewhat traumatizing to see your post-baby body sometimes.

Strangely enough, I have always been self-conscious about my belly. Yet when I was preggers, I was proud of that huge belly o’ mine. I figured it was the only time in my life when its huge-ness was acceptable and even beautiful. I looooved showing it off! LMAO

Now, I cover it up like the ugly step-sister. hee!

You look great, girl.

Thanks for shedding your inhibitions enough to post it AND keep it posted.

*smooch* :)

76. Amy on July 15th, 2006 9:48 pm

Good on you for showing what we mothers do for our families! I have three kids, first my son (body did quite well bouncing back) and then my twin girls. I remember after having them grabbing my stomach and stretching it out as far as I could. It was like playing with play-doh! I did lose the baby weight for that pregnancy too but was left with some faint scarring on my boobs and outer thighs. Well worth it though! Of course all t hat loose skin apparently needed some fat to attatch and now have a lovely rounded belly. Makes me sort of miss the pregnant days when I could show it off ;)

77. Breck Girl on July 16th, 2006 6:09 am

You look fabulous – and can even wear those cute boy short undies. I can’t even go there – not even before I had a baby – so see, you have an body that is the envy of other women! I have been working hard to lose weight (the baby weight itself has gone, thank goodness). I do the “try on” thing every other week or so – go through my old stuff and try all of my pants on to see how I am progressing. It is usually an uplifting experience, although the old 7 jeans are still creating way too much overhang to actually wear – sausage pants, we call that. So try on the 8’s again in a month or two – you just might be surprised. And even if you never get in them again, who cares? Riley is worth a few pant sizes, as is my son, Wyatt.

78. Elyse on July 16th, 2006 8:30 am

That is amazing. :-)

79. wealhtheow on July 16th, 2006 11:55 am

Sundry, you look beautiful! That body created and nurtured life! We woman are so conditioned to downplay our beauty, especially when it varies in any way from “conventional.” You should be incredibly proud of yourself for this post–and Riley is lucky to have such a wonderful role model. He’ll grow up to be a man who can appreciate a woman’s true beauty, not what magazines and movies tell him he should appreciate.

80. Sonia (DDM) on July 16th, 2006 12:28 pm

You. Look. Great. Seriously! Thank you for posting this Linda.
    I remember for the first 2 years after my son was born, feeling like I had ‘Gumby Tummy’. My baby boy is now 5&1/2 years old. I *just* had a moment of clarity at my yearly OB/GYN appointment, upon stepping on the scale fully clothed. The number was almost 10 pounds less than I thought it should read. I’d had one of the worst ugly days of my life two days prior while trying on clothes at Target and went home and cried. Standing on that scale……I finally accepted that I have a distorted body image. I’m working on my mindset. First step; buying a pair of jeans at OldNavy that had a size number on the tag I don’t want them to have, because they looked GOOD. I’m a work in progress. Next step; posting a picture of my belly.

81. Kendra on July 16th, 2006 4:16 pm

Belly slightly marred
    by ceasarean scar she’s
    still Bikini Mom

Did you like the above haiku for yu?

82. guinevere on July 16th, 2006 4:42 pm

you’re just the greatest thing ever!
    thank you for that, and for linking that website. awesome. :)

83. Polichick on July 16th, 2006 8:23 pm

I just saw Amy’s entry on the club mom blog and my reaction here is the same as to hers–I think you both are damn impressive, strong and admirable women. I think these posts are so important, for all women, moms or not.

84. Christy on July 17th, 2006 5:55 am

Ditto to what everyone has said so far – thank you for this! I can only imagine the courage it took to finally hit “publish…”

85. ali on July 17th, 2006 6:55 am

i’m truly amazed at all your gorgeous women with all this courage. :)

86. MRW on July 17th, 2006 9:20 am

Well, I’m late to this thread, but I wanted to add my two cents. You look great. You look like a woman who has had a baby – beautiful.

I’ve been thinking about the issue of body image lately because I realized when I’m walking around I see all of these women of different sizes and shapes and I hardly ever think “she shouldn’t be wearing that” and if I do it’s got nothing to do with their body, but instead it’s just something scary. Much more often I think “she looks really good in that, I wonder if I could wear that.” Finally, it hit me, here I am walking around every day feeling unhappy with some aspect of my body and thinking everyone thinks I’m not thin enough or stylish enough or whatever when really everyone else is walking around thinking exactly the same thing about themselves. The chances that any other woman out there is looking at me and thinking “well, she’s got a pooch” or something are ridiculously small. Why the hell am I all worked up about it? Must try to remain rational about body image, Hollywood be damned. Easier said than done.

87. Ashley on July 17th, 2006 11:00 am

I think that you look great. Poor body image is something that plagues everyone and it shouldn’t. Society needs to change but in reality the chances of that happening are slim. What you did took courage.

88. Rayne on July 17th, 2006 3:36 pm

You rock – in so many ways – today it just happens to be in the courage department!

89. Amy on July 18th, 2006 5:18 pm

Thank you more than I can express, Linda.

90. Zoot on July 24th, 2006 9:14 am

(I’m late, I know, blame vacation)

I still can’t bring myself to take those pictures, much less post a picture on my blog. I dont know why, but even after looking at that site I still think, “But my belly is way worse.” It took every ounce of courage to post ones of me from the beach where I wore a t-shirt over my bathing suit the whole time.

My point? I have severe issues – obviously.

91. Xiwaekkk on July 4th, 2007 9:56 pm

Greetings!..
    breast augmentation chicago breast augmentation new jersey

92. Tolajkkk on August 14th, 2007 3:03 pm

interesting thank you…
    augmentation breast colorado augmentations breast diego san

93. Canqokkk on August 17th, 2007 3:35 pm

very interesting
    breast augmentation cincinnati transumbilical breast augmentation

94. Leraukkk on August 23rd, 2007 3:00 pm

information …
    charter fishing+ tampa bay florida large group fishing+ charter florida

95. LewOjuon on November 12th, 2007 10:25 pm

a
    a

96. acclaim sevenfold avenged on February 29th, 2008 5:00 am

avenged sevenfold beast beast sevenfold avenged

97. tesco car motor insurance on January 7th, 2009 11:56 am

insurance motor tesco car motor tesco car insurance