JB and I managed to have our kids-free outing today and it was perfect. The weather was glorious — a lovely last gasp of summer — and the hike on Tiger Mountain was gratifyingly ass-kicking (about 2000 feet straight uphill, woof). We missed the kids enough to talk about them a lot but not so much that we rushed immediately back to daycare afterwards; instead, we lolled around our sweetly silent house for a bit and leisurely ate slices of homemade apple bread — WITHOUT SHARING. Bliss.

2842117024eee.jpg
Always tempting fate, this guy.

2841281283_0b2115c250.jpg
It seems hard to believe but I realized this was the first real hike I’ve been on since before I was pregnant with Riley. That’s over three years, jesus.

(Also, I seriously hate having hair that’s too short to pull back, but long enough to get all sweaty and gross.)

2842117248_e0067fd6b4.jpg
The last bit of the trail before the summit, right about the point when my legs said EXCUSE ME BUT PLEASE STOP THIS INSANITY RIGHT THE FUCK NOW.

2841281729_9a95262982.jpg
At the top there were these birds checking us out and stealing pieces of our sandwiches, I don’t know what they were (some kind of jay? JB said he knew them only as “camp robbers”) but they were incredibly bold.

2841281601_807261aa35.jpg
See? Check out that Dr. Doolittle shit right there! Of course, I’m grimacing and squealing in fear because OMG BIRDS. Their scrabbly, gritchy FEET. GRAH.

2842117426_5fc0b3e395.jpg
I have an incredibly awesome photo of JB from when he first held his hand out for these birds and they completely freaked him out by immediately swooping in; in it he’s sort of shrieking and running away and it is SO GREAT, but he REFUSES to let me post it. So you’ll just have to use your imagination. Remember: shrieking.

2841281537_fac85d9463.jpg
The view from the top. Ahh.

After today’s break, I feel like my parenting reserves got refreshed in a big way. Which is a good thing, because someone in this house still looks like this:

rileyangryfc.jpg

Comments

71 Responses to “Recharged”

1. jouette on September 9th, 2008 12:24 pm

hiking rocks. beaing close to nature totally recharges the soul. love ur blog & ur pix.

2. Julie on September 9th, 2008 1:27 pm

What a beautiful view! Having those marriage mental health days make all the difference in the world, don’t they?

3. Crystal on September 9th, 2008 1:29 pm

I want to be that skinny.
    And I want a day off to hang out with my husband w/o the kids. Whenever that happens, and its rare, we stay home and clean the house. BORING

And I love that grumpy face at the end. I have a kid like that, too.

4. Anne W on September 9th, 2008 2:05 pm

I think that the important question here is child hive…or trap?

5. Donna on September 9th, 2008 2:19 pm

If I send you some warm-out-of-the-oven-chocolate-chip-cookies, will you post that picture?

And the apple bread – Swistle’s recipe?

6. Niki P on September 9th, 2008 2:21 pm

Oh for Fucks sake post the fucking picture. We know he is all manly in his man sandals. We wn’t think less of him.

7. Anonymous New York on September 9th, 2008 2:30 pm

Dude. I’m so buying the 30-Day shred because you look like you could kick some serious butt. You look excellent.

Glad you had a good day!

8. Nicole on September 9th, 2008 3:09 pm

Before you see True Blood you should read the books by Charlaine Harris – the Sookie Stackhouse series. It’s a bunch of fun, and I assume HBO, being HBO, will make it all serious and sexed-up.

9. Kristin on September 9th, 2008 4:58 pm

I just wanted to say DEAR GOD YOU LOOK LIKE A MILLION BUCKS! I’m officially off to buy that DVD you keep talking about!

10. Erin on September 9th, 2008 5:00 pm

I hear you on the hair thing. I’m so regretting chopping mine and my kids are a bit older than yours! :-)
    a day with just hubby and no kids? wow i’m jealous… can not recall the last time! sigh… congrats glad you enjoyed it!

11. willikat on September 9th, 2008 5:36 pm

i really wanna see that photo of JB. also, you are getting tinier and tinier.

12. Mel on September 9th, 2008 6:25 pm

Wow…does Riley’s expression every look familiar! Although I think my youngest may actually tense up a little more than him! Anyhow, I completely feel your pain! I actually stayed late at work tonight, to get caught up, but I ended really enjoying the alone time in a big empty office. Is that pathetic or what!

OH and I’m watching Fringe right now, but I’m a few hours ahead of you so I won’t spoil anything…I’m just curious to see what you think.

13. Heather on September 10th, 2008 7:21 am

I want to see the shrieking picture too. What do we have to do to see it?

Plus so jealous of your date-day. I want one with my hubby, sadly it probably won’t/can’t happen until mid-October :( I will just live vicariously through yours.

14. Alexandra on September 10th, 2008 8:32 am

I’m sorry but I just have to say that at first glance at the photo of Riley (who is cute and adorable) I thought for a second his T-Shirt said LITTLE PRICK …. oh I am going to HELL!!!

:) PS You are TOO DAMN SKINNY (that was my jealous voice)!

15. Emily on September 10th, 2008 10:35 am

GAH that looks beautiful. I swear, I’m a northwestern girl at heart. I’ve never even BEEN to that section of the country, but something tells me I’d never want to leave. It’s simply gorgeous.

16. LLL on September 10th, 2008 12:58 pm

SHOW THE SHRIEKING PICTURE! And my God you are insanely, movie-star like, jealousy-induingly, buff and thin.

17. brenna on September 10th, 2008 2:16 pm

I have several of these, and they’re great for short hair. I even wear them while I’m working out, to keep the hair out of my face. And they’re cute!

18. JennyM on September 10th, 2008 3:15 pm

I thought you were *supposed* to cultivate an expression of extreme suspicion when manning your hive/cave/lair, though.

And how awesome do you look, Outdoorsy McHikerson? (Going home to run now, yes.)

19. C. on September 10th, 2008 5:03 pm

From the look on his face, you’d think the letters hidden by the wrinkles on his shirt were r and i.

20. E! on September 10th, 2008 6:27 pm

What a GORGEOUS spot to be hiking! I like that the birds swoop down but I’ve seen “The Birds” too many times to be ok with that.

21. Annie on September 11th, 2008 10:06 am

Hello. I just have to say you look so strong and so sexy in those photos. Not to mention happy!