A while ago I read an advance copy of Danny Evans’ book, Rage Against the Meshugenah, and I’m glad I didn’t stop to tell you all about it then because now I can say two things: 1) it’s damn good, and 2) it’s released, so you can buy your own copy right now.

I don’t know if you read Danny’s blog, but if you do you already know he’s a great writer. A great blog writer does not necessarily equate to a great book writer, but in Rage Danny seems to effortlessly shed the short, contained-burst format of blogging and rides out the challenge of telling his story in chapters that keep unfolding, keep you reading long after the bedside lamp should have been clicked off for the night.

Danny’s story is a personal one, of depression and darkness and through it all, his signature humor that is never lost. I fell into this book not only because of his honesty, clarity, and occasional laugh-out-loud hilarity, but because I know this story all too well from the years I spent in the grip of the bottle. Danny and I may not have been run over by the exact same train, but I suspect we have both endured the same bleak window view.

Danny is a coarse, foul-mouthed sumbitch who would probably wither and die without humor in his life, so of course I like him. He’s also been immensely helpful and supportive to me when it comes to writing and publishing, and I’m eternally grateful for it. If you ever see a printed book out there in the world with my name on it, his will be in the acknowledgements section.

His first book—and I bet it’s not his last—is funny, insightful, merciless, and real. And ultimately, hopeful. I think you’ll enjoy reading Rage, and I hope you check it out.

photo
Way to go, man.

Comments

19 Responses to “Rage Against the Meshugenah”

1. samantha jo campen on August 4th, 2009 1:06 pm

I’ve been DYING to read it! YEAH DANNY!

2. Eric's Mommy on August 4th, 2009 1:07 pm

That is just awesome. I really want to read his book.

3. eliz on August 4th, 2009 1:16 pm

That’s a fantastic review. I wanted to read the book anyway but I want to read it NOW thanks to you.

4. danielle-lee on August 4th, 2009 1:17 pm

Awesome! I’m leaving to pick up my reserved copy in just a few minutes! I am so excited!!

5. Coachdad on August 4th, 2009 1:23 pm

I was lucky enough to get a copy early. Loved it. Read it in one sitting. Honest, funny, heart-felt, and a must read!

6. Kerri Anne on August 4th, 2009 1:27 pm

So! excited to (finally!) meet Danny on Wednesday, and I’m totally crossing my appendages that you’ll be making a PDX visit, too.

7. Laura on August 4th, 2009 1:38 pm

I can’t wait for his book to get here. And I cannot wait for you to get a book deal and put that sucker out there for everyone to read. It will happen for you one day and I’ll be the first in line to buy that book! Especially if you put tips for avoiding Zombie death, as you are my go to guide for that kind of stuff.

8. Carolyn on August 4th, 2009 1:40 pm

I pre-ordered and it HAS NOT ARRIVED YET AND I AM DISPLEASED!

9. Carolyn on August 4th, 2009 1:41 pm

Wow. i didn’t finish what I was saying. My crazy trigger-finger hit enter.

I was going to say that I’m so tempted to go buy another copy and just give the mail-order one as a gift.

Which sounds much less…forceful now.

aka…I can’t wait to read mine!

10. Judy on August 4th, 2009 2:12 pm

I pre-ordered, it shipped yesterday and is “in transit” via USPS, which means it may or may not arrive. If it’s not here by the weekend, I’ll pick it up elsewhere. I have a feeling I’ll need two copies anyway, since my son also is familiar with the bleak window view and is probably going to abscond with it the minute it hits the house.

I’m so glad for Danny, I’ve loved how he writes since the days when he was on Snarkywood (along with Amy of amalah.com fame), and he’s on my little list of Blogs I Can’t Miss. This is a great day for him.

11. Anonymous on August 4th, 2009 2:42 pm

The Meshugenah. I know them well. They are my people. We tight.

My sister, I’m at a point where I might have face this music. Golly, I just said that outloud – for the first time. Hmmm.

12. Kate on August 4th, 2009 5:20 pm

I seriously am going to pick up this book, read it myself and then make my husband read it. I’ve heard nothing but good things all over the interwebs and can’t wait to discover them myself.

13. Tammy on August 4th, 2009 6:16 pm

Danny is how I found you!! I can’t wait to read his book!

14. Rowen on August 4th, 2009 6:47 pm

r/e photo- nice bling ;)

15. Jane on August 5th, 2009 5:43 am

Mine is also on it’s way, having been pre-ordered. I am on a fabulous kick of reading awesome bloggers turned book writers this summer: Dooce, Jen Lancaster, now Danny. Can’t wait to devour it and pass it on (I know my brother in particular is a fan). I truly hope that your dream of joining these three and lots of other really talented and published bloggers comes true soon Linda. Your writing is amazing and I will buy anything you’re selling!

16. Val on August 5th, 2009 2:27 pm

I just picked up my copy – I’ve followed Danny for a few years now – can’t wait to read it and pass it on to friends!

17. Jennifer on August 5th, 2009 6:46 pm

My copy arrived from Amazon today! Can’t wait to get started on it in a few…

18. Frannie on August 6th, 2009 12:03 pm

Dude. I HAVE to get this STAT. I found his site through you. Thanks for that…and as a woman who deals with depression and had a night in which alcohol sent me to the hospital, then a psych ward, all I can say is having a sense of humor is what keeps me fighting the meshugenah. That, and knowing other people, while not having the exact same experience, can all laugh at ourselves and eachother.

19. Sarah in Huntsville on August 11th, 2009 8:59 am

Re: Cat, I had a cat that went missing for a week because he was locked in someone’s attic when they went on vacation. Apparently he snuck into their garage and up the stairs while they were getting down luggage. I came home from college to visit, and my parents sat me down and told me they’d looked everywhere, and he was probably dead. Then, after all the ensuing wailing, the little bastard turned up that very night.

If you have any neighbors out of town, you might go listen at their crawlspaces. I hope Cat comes back to you back safe and sound!