I love the way photographs help you to remember the very best moments in life. After digging through all the pictures I took this weekend, I sort of forgot about the insane amount of driving we had to do, the many meltdowns and frustrations, the periods of boredom, and even the poison oak. The photos help me refocus on what a wonderful vacation it really was: relaxing at the cabin, visiting with family, and even getting in a quick no-kids backpacking trip on the Rogue River.

JB and I were sitting in our utterly remote campsite on Friday evening listening to the river rush by and inhaling the sharp pine scent of our campfire smoke and he said, “You know, by Monday it’ll feel like this place is a million miles away.” It’s true; it does. Goddamn if the weekend isn’t already disappearing behind us, growing smaller and smaller in the rearview mirror. Oh, I’m glad for the pictures.

5907065381_c10e2d94c9

5907070313_33b3f58a0f

5907069549_9bce36dcab

5907625024_e477770195

5907624536_ab716ec2cd

5907073663_ba8da7053b

5907629426_45f94140f4

Comments

22 Responses to “July 4th weekend, freeze-framed”

1. Kris on July 5th, 2011 9:15 pm

So happy you got a little break & time to catch your breath. You & JB make such a gorgeous couple – like you really were made for each other.

And HOLY COW! When did Riley get so big??? I did a double-take at the pic of him jumping off the bench, because I thought it must be some cute teenage nephew or something.

2. BKC on July 5th, 2011 9:42 pm

In that first picture JB has these lovely little laugh lines around his eyes that confirm how often you guys must be happy. Also, you are so natural in the wilderness! The picture of you on the rocks looks very zen.

3. Junni on July 5th, 2011 9:49 pm

Slip & Slide pics = priceless.

4. Jen on July 5th, 2011 9:59 pm

Ah, thank you for sharing these wonderful photos. I smiled through the entire series.

5. Becky on July 6th, 2011 5:32 am

the silp n slide pic is AWESOME

6. danish on July 6th, 2011 6:22 am

I am so jealous you got to go to such a gorgeous place and you and your boys get to experience that! Beautiful pics.

7. Amy M. on July 6th, 2011 6:35 am

Beautiful photos! Slip & slides rock!

8. joaaanna on July 6th, 2011 6:53 am

You always take such amazing pictures! Also? Picture three? HUBBA HUBBA!

9. warcrygirl on July 6th, 2011 7:24 am

I’m totally loving Pic #12. Thanks for sharing! Also: Was JB ever a Boy Scout? Just curious.

10. Gaby on July 6th, 2011 7:26 am

The first picture of Riley and the slip and slide made me do a double take because I thought Riley was brandishing a small ax! I thought, “Better set that up correctly, Grandpa, or else!” :) Glad you had a good weekend.

11. Jen on July 6th, 2011 7:30 am

Love the pictures. Thanks for sharing! Every time you post pictures of your OR wilderness adventures, I want to be transported there. And I don’t even like camping!

12. Jen on July 6th, 2011 7:40 am

Weekends like that are amazing. I hate when they end. Looks like you had a fabulous time with your boys!!

13. Redbecca on July 6th, 2011 7:43 am

That picture of Riley with the sprinkler hose is priceless. He looks so mischievous and growed up all at the same time!
    And yah, I agree with PP, you look smokin’!

14. Marie Green on July 6th, 2011 7:52 am

That does look like a very lovely get-away. And I’m not used to seeing your boys with HAIR! They look older when not freshly shorn. :)

15. PinkieBling on July 6th, 2011 7:53 am

Such beautiful photos! By the looks of it, you had the best weekend ever. :) Speaking of looks, DAAAAMN, GINA! You are a hot mama! Hard to say which picture is my favorite – the kids are so cute (and BIG!), and the surroundings are gorgeous. Here’s hoping next 4th finds you in closer proximity to it! Thanks for sharing.

16. Brian on July 6th, 2011 7:55 am

Looks like a fantastic time was had.

17. Rachel on July 6th, 2011 9:49 am

I am in love with your vacation.

18. Eliza on July 6th, 2011 2:53 pm

These are WONDERFUL.

19. sheila on July 6th, 2011 10:11 pm

I’m thankful for the pictures too! What a beautiful place and you all look so happy and in your element. I wish you and your family many more happy memories like this!

20. Caitlin on July 9th, 2011 9:58 am

What a damn gorgeous family you got there :)

21. Heathet on August 2nd, 2011 6:40 pm

Your babies make me smile!

22. Heather on August 2nd, 2011 6:41 pm