I didn’t eat a single piece of candy this Halloween, despite my yearly tradition of glorious overindulgence. It’s not that I didn’t want to, or even that I made a conscious decision to stay on track diet-wise. The real reason is that I knew how it would go: I’d eat one piece of chocolate, then another, then I’d decide all bets were off for the evening and I’d devour candy until I was barely visible behind the towering pile of wrappers. I’d be ecstatic at first, then out of control, then steeped with regret. I’d wake up in the morning feeling guilty and short-tempered, sorely tempted to start the day off with a Kit Kat just to give myself a much-needed boost.

In other words, it’s not at all unlike drinking, complete with the dopamine rush and subsequent withdrawal. The bleak spiral I’ve found myself in on the few occasions I’ve binged on junk food lately is totally disproportionate to the act itself, thanks to the associations I’ve made between sugar-guilt and booze-guilt. It’s triggery, if you’ll forgive my use of that annoying word, although not in a craving sort of way — more like a familiar shameful soulsickness that makes me feel broken into a thousand pieces.

It’s something I need to work on, obviously, because come on. It’s candy, not a three-quarters of a bottle of Skyy vodka. And the whole eat-one-”bad”-thing-eat-ALL-the-things behavior is pathological and makes me feel like Barney Gumble.

Barney

If I have one recovery goal (besides the obvious) it’s to find a sense of balance in the way I’ve been treating my body. In some ways I went one extreme to another, and I’d like to find a non-obsessive middle ground where I break the bad, not allowed, will ruin life connections between alcohol and certain foods so I can have some damn chocolate sometimes and missing a workout doesn’t bring on a panic attack that all my discipline is gone forever because daily burpees are the only magical fucking wizard-spell keeping me from backsliding into entropy.

Anyway.

Do you know that Liz Phair song, “Johnny Feelgood”? It’s the perfect description of all sorts of addictions, I think.

Moderation is a memory
Dive right in and let him send me
I could take this in doses large enough to kill

And I’ve never met a man I was so crazy about
It kinda has become an obsession to me
I hate him all the time
But I still get up
When he knocks me down
And he orders me around
‘Cause it loosens me up
And I can’t get enough
And I’d pay to spend the night with him some more …

Comments

26 Responses to “Johnny Feelgood”

1. Sandy on November 2nd, 2013 10:33 am

Balance is a nice concept. As an all or nothing personality I am still on the journey to try to find this in many areas of my life. However certain things(drinking, junk food) need to be kept in the nothing zone. It’s just easier that way.

2. Stacy on November 2nd, 2013 12:06 pm

Your post is exactly what I needed today. Thank you!

3. Heather on November 2nd, 2013 12:52 pm

Wow. You completely verbalized what I’ve been feeling lately. Working on the balance as well and it’s tough stuff.

4. meeshie on November 2nd, 2013 1:45 pm

Balance can be really hard. My husband… is obsessive. It was alcohol. It’s currently video games. Someday, I’m sure, it’ll be something else. He still can’t find the balance of ‘I can enjoy a bit of this and then walk away.’

Addictive personalities are just.. that. It’s hard. Good luck.

5. Emily on November 2nd, 2013 2:17 pm

Just remember not to be too hard on yourself. Self-imposed guilt is just as bad for you as anything else – actually worse, because it’s sooo easy to justify. (Like, SO easy. And so toxic.) As a constant balance-seeker myself, I believe in you. Don’t forget to give yourself a big ol’ Fuck Yeah for kicking so much ass thus far.

6. Mary on November 2nd, 2013 5:49 pm

All of this. Yes. Balance is something great to strive for. I am not sure what it would look like though.

7. Victoria on November 2nd, 2013 10:09 pm

My first Halloween without candy too. Totally addicted.

8. KeraLinnea on November 2nd, 2013 10:11 pm

Add my voice to the rest of the choir–this is what I needed today. I’ve been on this binge, feel high, crash, feel guilty roller coaster for a couple of weeks now, and I am so tired of it. I want so much to find the place where it all balances out.
    Thanks for always articulating this stuff so well, and for being willing to put yourself out there the way you do. You rock.

9. Erin on November 2nd, 2013 10:34 pm
  10. Maria on November 3rd, 2013 6:03 am

I hope balance comes to you.

I wish Internet culture hadnt turned triggers into one of those overused bullying/troll/etc words. I don’t know any other way to describe that mechanism of mindfuck.

11. Jen D. on November 3rd, 2013 6:19 pm

Everything you describe here is something I have experienced and this whole post speaks to me so much. I hate how the eating shame hits me like the drinking shame and brings on so much self hatred. I hate that I can never stick to the healthy lifestyles I adopt because I take it to the extreme and then feel like the world has ended and “why bother” after one misstep. I hate that with alcohol and food and who knows what else…I can’t seem to stop at one. There really is no point to my comment, I’m sorry. Reading this post was just like reading my own thoughts almost word for word so I felt I had to say something. Maybe just thank you?

12. Katie on November 4th, 2013 7:18 am

This is so eerily accurate about what I experience/go through. I didn’t decide to lose a healthy 10 pounds, I dropped 30-plus and weighed 90 pounds. I don’t eat one Reese’s, I eat every Reese’s in the Halloween bucket because OH MY GOD someone else might eat the last few and I’ll never have another ever and these are SO GOOD. I hear you.

13. louboutin new york city pass on December 30th, 2013 3:47 pm

999 where to search as well as hunter boots are so Big
    louboutin new york city pass http://www.eepesce.org/louboutin-new-york-city-pass-p-38883.html

14. florida gators football jerseys on December 30th, 2013 3:48 pm

999 things to do circumstance your footwear are too Big
    florida gators football jerseys http://www.eepesce.org/florida-gators-football-jerseys-p-29622.html

15. asics shoes on November 20th, 2014 11:57 am

Wholesale fashion brand shoes outlet online store, latest style, lowest price, bestest service, fastest transportation. Do not miss – The best wholesale fashion shoes online store – http://www.wholesalecanvasshoe.com

16. Jual Cuban Cigar on December 14th, 2014 1:03 am

News info…

I was reading the news and I saw this really cool information…

17. baby shower gift on February 22nd, 2015 11:20 pm

Have you ever considered publishing an e-book or guest authoring on other sites? I have a blog based upon on the same subjects you discuss and would love to have you share some stories/information. I know my subscribers would value your work. If you’re even remotely interested, feel free to send me an e mail.

18. Total Life Changes on February 23rd, 2015 2:42 am

Wikia…

Wika linked to this site…

19. drug and alcohol treatment facilities on February 23rd, 2015 9:00 am

When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get three e-mails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove people from that service? Bless you!

20. Investment realtor on February 23rd, 2015 9:07 am

Hi there, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam remarks? If so how do you prevent it, any plugin or anything you can suggest? I get so much lately it’s driving me insane so any support is very much appreciated.|

21. CCNA training on February 23rd, 2015 11:36 am

Saved as a favorite, I really like your website!

22. alcohol addiction treatment centers on February 23rd, 2015 2:54 pm

Hello, I enjoy reading through your article post. I like to write a little comment to support you.|

23. 格安,新作 Jr.ユニフォームシャツ/09ジャパン·ホームモデル/ジュニア - 52MJ-08301 [野球少年用ユニフォーム ミズノ/mizuno] 爆買い,大得価 on February 23rd, 2015 9:54 pm
  24. garden hose fittings on February 23rd, 2015 11:33 pm

Hi! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers? I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on. Any tips?

25. online marketing consultants on February 24th, 2015 1:17 am

Hi there would you mind stating which blog platform you’re working with? I’m looking to start my own blog in the near future but I’m having a hard time deciding between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something unique. P.S Apologies for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

26. best bagless vacuum cleaner on February 24th, 2015 4:17 am

Very good post! We will be linking to this great article on our website. Keep up the good writing.|