It’s rare that it snows in the Pacific Northwest — even more rare are the frigid temperatures we’ve had the last couple days (-9 last night, the second coldest day on record) — so the kids were pretty much out of their minds with joy when they woke up Friday morning to a transformed neighborhood. The snow is as fluffy as talcum powder and makes a shitty snowman, but they’ve been out in it as long as their bodies can stand the chill, then returning inside for stove-side blanket warming and hot chocolate. In between, we’ve watched lots of movies, ventured out to get our tree, and had more than our fair share of cabin-fever related meltdowns, and it’s felt very Christmassy and perfect, down to the crawling desire not to spend ONE MORE GODDAMNED SECOND with your family, whom you love very much. You know what I mean? You know what I mean.

backyard

fight

snowMAN

(Did I say shitty snowman? I meant incredibly awkward snowman, unless you see the bust of Darth Vader emerging from the ground, in which case it’s an incredibly awesome snowman.)

street

family

tree farm

hacksaw

boys

tree inside

LET ME IN OH JESUS THIS SUCKS WHAT IS THIS WHITE STUFF I HATE EVERYTHING

Comments

21 Responses to “Winter wonderland”

1. Junni on December 8th, 2013 12:08 pm

SNOW-VADER!

2. Michelle on December 8th, 2013 12:23 pm

Beautiful tree, beautiful family!

3. Janet in Miami on December 8th, 2013 12:44 pm

My whole family cracked up at this one. We would be outside more since our weather is warmer, but the mosquitoes are the size of Volkswagens and, when they work together, can carry off small pets.

4. Kat on December 8th, 2013 12:52 pm

There is nothing like a winter wonderland to get you in the mood for Christmas! Somehow, tree hunting is just better with snow :)

I love that last picture. Your poor cat isn’t nearly as excited about the snow as the kids, lol!

5. Diane on December 8th, 2013 3:46 pm

I laughed so hard at the caption on that last picture that everyone in the house had to come look at it.

6. Meg on December 8th, 2013 4:58 pm

I knew the hovertext on that cat photo would be worth it.

7. Jeanette on December 9th, 2013 6:29 am

Love all the pictures but LOL the cat photo and caption!!!! If cats could talk that is exactly what she would be saying!!!!

8. Kim on December 9th, 2013 6:38 am

We’re experiencing similar cabin fever that usually doesn’t set in until late January/February but without the benefit of snow – we’re the lucky recipients of just barely above freezing temps coupled with the kind of rain that makes you curse at the sky. Or me, anyway.

9. Kelli on December 9th, 2013 8:21 am

This post made me laugh out loud. Oh, I simply adore your blog!!

10. Maggie on December 9th, 2013 10:58 am

Oh to live in a place where snow is seen as a super awesome freak occurrence rather than the dreadful start to a long miserable winter. (I am in Michigan). I will take this as a reminder to enjoy the snow since not everyone gets the experience. ;)

11. June on December 9th, 2013 10:59 am

I totally know what you mean. Being around irrational people who desperately need rest and yet refuse to go to sleep (this includes MY HUSBAND) makes me batshit crazy.

12. Maggie on December 9th, 2013 11:02 am

And I definitely know what you mean. Mostly looking forward to but partially dreading the upcoming 2 week break.

13. Jennifer on December 9th, 2013 11:24 am

Hey, maybe this is too stalker-ish, but do I see TWO decorated trees in your photos? One in your backroom (sun-room, though maybe it’s snow-room now) as well as in the front window?

I’m in the camp with the kids: snow is so rare that the occasional storm is a treat! Of course a couple days later we’re all ready for it to melt so we can get back to “normal” cloudy winter.

14. Ris on December 9th, 2013 11:38 am

Oh of COURSE we know what you mean :)

15. Courtney on December 9th, 2013 10:12 pm

It was -32 here (in Montana) this weekend. At one point there was a 96 degree difference between the inside temperature (64) and the outside (-32). Re-fucking-diculous for December!

16. Koa on December 9th, 2013 11:00 pm

We have been loving this too!!! Only holy hell 4J is closed again!!! And what is the point, again, of me paying an ungodly sum of money to a private pre school only to have them follow 4J. We’ve done everything already! Waaa. Someone just told me she can keep a toddler quiet for 30 minutes by putting them in a box with crayons and telling them to decorate the inside. It might work with your biggers. What could go wrong?

17. Amy on December 10th, 2013 11:57 am

I just came here to say Oh my god, I have done that still-warm-ashes in the trash can thing, only we didn’t notice anything until the FIRE TRUCKS showed up. Our neighbors (bless them) had called 911 because there was a flaming inferno under the deck in our backyard. It was terrifying. (Fire department put the fire out before the deck or house caught fire, so no real damage done but the thought of what really, REALLY easily could have happened if they hadn’t called 911 for us? Terrifying. My two kids were asleep in the bedroom right over that deck. My house is 90 years old. I can do that math and it doesn’t work out well. So yeah: ashes stay dangerously hot for a LOT longer than you might expect.)

I am glad you’re all okay.

18. Cynthea on December 11th, 2013 6:15 pm

LOVE the cat pic. The eye and the ear say it all lol.

19. H on December 12th, 2013 9:20 am

What camera magic do you have that makes your snow look pretty and inviting and fun when the snow here, which I assume is made of the same stuff, looks cold and dreary and ugly?

20. Lola Fierce on December 16th, 2013 8:05 am

“….it’s felt very Christmassy and perfect, down to the crawling desire not to spend ONE MORE GODDAMNED SECOND with your family, whom you love very much. You know what I mean? You know what I mean.” YES. I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN. And I’m in sunny Texas. LOL.

21. nike shoes pas cher on February 9th, 2014 2:52 pm

nike shoes pas cher…

Winter wonderland : All & Sundry…