Here’s a list of those of you who posted your own answers to the Year End Meme Thing — if I missed you, or borked up your website’s name, let me know!

Transcendental Reality
Counting on change
Lawyerish
SaturnCat
Calling This Home
House of Why
Tripping Daisy
Kimblahg (I can’t figure out how to link directly to the entry, sorry!)
Pantalones del Fuego
Tiffany’s Rants
The Littlest Lively
The Overnight Note
clap your hands
(Often) Pedantic Musings
Velocibadgergirl
The Wink
Overdressed and Re-employed
I am living in a Mommy daze
Stacitee
Just Babs
Terrific Teens
aibiffity
Mordant Conceit
i like to cook
the blythe spirit
Jonniker
wealhtheow
Feet Firmly Planted
Miss Liss
Vylnn
Claire

And now my own thrilling answers:

1. What did you do in 2006 that you’d never done before?

Eighty million mundane parenting-related activities. Saw an embalming. Celebrated my son’s first birthday. Survived a remodel and found some Mystery Lube. Worked as a freelance writer.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

Oh my god, how embarrassing — I had to actually re-visit last year’s entry to see if I made any resolutions. Here’s what I wrote:

My health-related resolutions this year are to go to the gym at least two, ideally three days per week and to fit back into my size 8 clothing.

Actually, completely FAILING to keep my resolution is probably more embarrassing than forgetting what it was. Or maybe they’re equally embarrassing. Whatever! I’m officially fucking embarrassed, ARE YOU HAPPY NOW.

So, yeah, not so much with the gym. Or the size 8. I fit into size 10 pants and I’ve been pretty okay with that, but JB and I have been talking lately about how crappy we feel that we have a garage full of gym equipment we never use. We even have those rings, like gymnasts have? JB read about them on CrossFit. They’re installed and hanging from the ceiling, just…dangling there all limp and pathetic. We have a weight bench, a punching bag — the works, and we never use it.

I guess my resolution will be this: to go into my goddamn garage (a whole twenty feet from my house) at least ONCE a week and punish myself on our equipment so I don’t feel as bad when I eat an entire bag of cookies in front of the TV.

Obviously, my health resolution theme this year is Aim Low.

In general, to give myself some goals for 2007, I hope I continue to be motivated to pursue writing in various forms, and I want to improve my parenting skills with patience, education, and trusting my instincts.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

No, no one I know personally.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

No, thankfully. Although, as I write this JB’s grandmother seems to be very close to the end of her life (she’s 94 and on hospice care), I never knew her well but JB was very close to her as a child.

5. What countries did you visit?

None. Ah, parenthood! Grounding both metaphorically and literally.

6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?

A cleaner house. More free time. More trust in myself as a parent, and more forgiveness for myself.

7. What dates from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

None in particular, I guess. The holidays, birthdays…but no one specific day stands out in my memory.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

I feel like I should say it’s something related to parenting but if I’m honest, the thing I am most proud of is establishing a relationship with someone who has paid me for some freelance articles. I just feel really good about that.

9. What was your biggest failure?

I don’t think there was one incident or issue, but I definitely feel like there have been times over the last year where I didn’t bring it, parenting-wise. I’ve been impatient, bored, and willing to disengage from Riley at times, and I regret that. I want to feel like I am being a great mom most of the time (no one can do it all of the time, let’s be real), even if the circumstances are trying.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

11. What was the best thing you bought?

This one’s easy: my new car.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

My husband’s. I don’t think I talk about it enough, but he has been such an incredible father to Riley. He is an always-willing participant in everything from playtime to diapers to baths. It shows in Riley’s strong bond with JB, which sometimes makes me so jealous it clouds my appreciation for what an amazing, beautiful relationship my son has with his dad.

JB is never too tired or too busy for our family, and everything he dreams about revolves around making our home even happier. He is the compass and map for our household, the strong rudder and secure walls. When I watch him playing with Riley, I feel like I have everything I could ever want in in the world.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

People who seem to take such grim pleasure in tearing down other people.

14. Where did most of your money go?

Into savings, daycare, the grocery store, our house.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

I got really excited over lots of little moments with Riley: first steps, first words, and the everyday sorts of things he did that amazed and astounded us and made us laugh.

16. What song will always remind you of 2006?

Not that this came out in 2006, but Daft Punk’s “Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger” was something I played over and over and danced with Riley to and cranked in my new car and I bet if anything reminds me of this year, it’s that silly song.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

a) happier or sadder? Hmm. Happier in some ways, I think.
b) thinner or fatter? About the same.
c) richer or poorer? Financially better off.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Losing myself in the fun moments of parenting. Going on outings with Riley and not worrying as much about the inconvenience factor. Challenging myself, writing-wise.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Dwelling. Comfort-eating (hello, much-used cookie baking sheet). Yelling at the pets when they’re underfoot and annoying.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?

I spent the day at JB’s brother’s house before traveling to JB’s parents’. As I type this we’re at Port Angeles visiting my family for a late Christmas.

21. Did you fall in love in 2006?

Deeper and deeper with my squirrel-cheeked, gorgeous, obnoxious, mesmerizing, terrifying little boy; the Suctopus, the Suctopod, Riley Bear, Snoopy.

22. How many one-night stands?

I hereby strike this question from future New Year’s entries because it’s lame. I am a flabby shrew of a married woman with a child, for god’s sake, I have nothing titillating to contribute on this subject.

23. What was your favorite TV program?

Arrested Development, since I’m only just now jumping on that bandwagon. The Office. American Idol. Survivor. Rescue Me. Weeds. Firefly.

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

25. What was the best book you read?

Damn, this one is hard. It’s difficult to even remember what I read this year, but I’ll say my favorites were: Ruth Reichl’s food memoirs, Mary Karr’s Liar’s Club and Cherry, Anne Lammott (especially Operating Instructions), The Girl’s Guide to Hunting and Fishing, Marrit’s Inconsolable, and…what else? I don’t know, but thanks to you guys I have a hell of a reading list for 2007 (which I promise I will post soon).

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?

Music new to me that I loved in 2006: Keane, Imogen Heap, Snow Patrol, Ok Go, Jenny Lewis.

27. What did you want and get?

A new car. Woot!

28. What did you want and not get?

Not a damn thing, really. I mean, other than world peace.

29. What was your favorite film of this year?

Well, I mostly saw movies via Netflix because of the whole never-leaving-the-house-after-7-PM thing. I have to say, I did love Borat. I also loved Bad Santa (I can’t believe I never saw it before), An Inconvenient Truth (you should absolutely watch this if you haven’t already), The Matador, and Adaptation.

30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

Thank god for obsessively detailing every heart-stopping moment of my rockstar lifestyle on the internet, because I would have forgotten. It seems we stayed in (no DOY) and I had a fan-fucking-tastic chocolate cake. I was a fresh-faced and innocent 32.

31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Other than a nanny who shits gold ingots and makes a great tiramisu, nothing.

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?

Ha ha ha HAAA, “fashion concept”. Right. Well, I wore a pair of Cruel Girl jeans practically every single goddamn day, is that a “concept”?

33. What kept you sane?

Laughing at the things that suck. Connecting with other people through this blog and others. JB. Riley’s extremely consistent bedtime.

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

I wonder what “fancy” means, here? Like whose leg do I want to hump like a deranged bulldog? Maybe…okay, this is sort of humiliating, but you know the coach from Friday Night Lights? That’s a tasty hunk of southern barbecue right there. I wouldn’t kick him out of bed for eating Baby Mum Mums.

35. What political issue stirred you the most?

Oh god. I don’t know. Maybe the one where we keep bullheadedly persevering in this shitty-ass war where people are dying in droves every day? Or the one where every time Bush opens his mouth I feel frightened for our country and Riley’s future? I can’t choose.

36. Who did you miss?

Our families when it had been a while since we’d seen them.

37. Who was the best new person you met?

There are lots of you who I haven’t technically met but I am awfully glad you’re out there, reading and talking with me and helping me remember I’m not alone.

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006.

Parenthood is an ever-changing landscape. Confidence is the best feeling in the world and worth pursuing. Forgiveness eases everything. Laughing toddlers are better than Prozac.

39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

This is SO CHEESY. You want some corny-ass shmoop song from me, Mr. Meme, but you’re getting They Might Be Giants, “Clap Your Hands”:

Uh huh

Stomp your feet

Stomp your feet

Jump in the air

Jump in the air

Jump in the air

Jump in the air!

Happy New Year, friends. May your night involve staying up until midnight, unlike my own (it’s currently 7:12 and I’m already fading fast. WOO PARTY!).

Comments

35 Responses to “2006 in exciting meme format”

1. Beth on December 31st, 2006 8:56 pm

Girl’s Guide is one of my favorites, despite the fact that it took me roughly four years to finish it.

2. Sarah on December 31st, 2006 9:16 pm

Dude, you so lame! Are you asleep yet? ;) If it’s any consolation, I’m holed up at the ER awaiting a CT scan to see if I have appendicitis. WOO PARTY!! (also, thank god I am an alum of UW and my account still exists so I can log on to wifi!)

3. Rae on December 31st, 2006 9:33 pm

HaHA! I just made a horribly embarressing squeeling noise upon seeing my site linked. Memes truely are the only really meaningful way to account for a year of life, eh? ;)

4. sundry on December 31st, 2006 9:39 pm

Sarah, WTF? You have the worst luck, I swear to god. Hope you feel better soon!

5. Andrea on December 31st, 2006 9:45 pm

Lame, no way. It is 8:48 pst and we just really screwed ourselves as far as sleep goes for the night. We took our darling 5 month old son out for drinks with us, therefore missing his bedtime by over an hour, aren’t we selfish, not to mention lame for having to get our drinks in before 9:00 p.m. on New Years Eve.
    We wish you and your darling family a very happy 2007!

6. ladyloo on December 31st, 2006 10:28 pm

Just added my answers on my site.

7. jonniker on December 31st, 2006 10:30 pm

Sending you an email about Mary Karr, because: OH MY FUCKING GOD.

Also, I did the happy little meme, too! Hooray!

Happy New Year, Sundry.

8. jonniker on December 31st, 2006 10:49 pm

Also! From my own reading, I know Redstapler (redstapler23.blogspot.com) and Miss Zoot did your meme too! I’ve seen it all over the Internets. :)

9. Meg on January 1st, 2007 3:07 am

I love that TMBG song! (They are my favorite band.)

10. Blythe on January 1st, 2007 9:05 am

Thanks for the meme – a great post with which to begin/end the year.
    Sorry I’m late:

11. erica on January 1st, 2007 10:34 am

Thanks for the link, Sundry.

And thanks for the TMBG lyrics…. I must now go put their collection on shuffle and dance my booty off while making New Year’s dinner.

Don’t Don’t Don’t let’s start
    I’ve got a weak heart

12. Liz on January 1st, 2007 11:29 am

Speaking of Baby Mum Mums… Did you know that at Fred Meyer they ring up as “Hot Kid Rice”? WTF is that all about? I never heat my Baby Mum Mums up when I eat the- I mean serve them to my child. Also, is it (Hot Kid) Rice or Hot (Kid Rice)? Because the first one is disturbing.

13. Sarah on January 1st, 2007 12:41 pm

I know, I know, but now I am out, althogh still a medical mystery. No appendicitis (just 12.5 hours on my ass in the ER. I know how to par-tay!). And to be fair, I’ve been well for 9 months! I saw you stayed up ’til midnight, way to go you party animal! Also, did you think the King 5 female anchors might have been a little toasted?

14. Meg on January 1st, 2007 4:02 pm

That’s a great meme, and thanks for the list. Happy new year!!!

15. Melissa on January 1st, 2007 5:19 pm

I loved reading this! Happy New Year Linda! My husband and I just made it to midnight by watching back to back episodes of Entourage and then watched the ball drop – can you feel the excitement!!
    From one mommy of a little monkey to another – let’s hope the bedtimes stay consistent. You Rock. Keep up the great writing – it keeps me sane! Best wishes to you and your beautiful family in the new year! :)

16. taerna on January 1st, 2007 7:03 pm

sundry, it is not humiliating to have a thing for kyle chandler, mr. friday night lights coach. he is one sexy man. he was in a show a loooooong time ago called homefront that i loved loved loved when i was in jr. high. he just keeps getting better with age.

17. christen on January 1st, 2007 8:32 pm

I finally did it, but not sure if you can access it without being a myspacer.
    It was fun, thanks! Happy New Year!

18. Shelly on January 1st, 2007 10:00 pm

Happy New Year! Hope it’s a lovely year for you and your family.
    Number 22, and your very last chunk of sentences ALMOST made me snort coffee out of my nose. You always seem to make me smile when I seem down. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

19. wealhtheow on January 1st, 2007 11:26 pm

I’ve posted my answers, if it’s not too late to join in the fun. Thanks for letting us share in your year, Sundry. Hope 2007 holds only good things for you and your family.

20. Becky on January 2nd, 2007 6:29 am

I might have to give this one a try. If I’m feeling ambitious …

Happy New Year!

21. Jamie on January 2nd, 2007 8:34 am

Whoopsie – forgot to post – I did the meme as well.

Hope you had a wonderful and restful New Year’s day!

22. Amanda on January 2nd, 2007 8:41 am

#9. Forgive yourself now. It is impossible to sustain the magical devotion of the first year. I have found that with my girls, 2 1/5 and 8 months, there is an ebb and flow that ultimately allows you to rediscover complete and total infatuation with your kids. Just when I thought I had a merciless heart of stone because I really wanted to write and not dance to Me and My Gang with my daughter for the 76th time, she slipped her hand in mine said, “S’ok mommy, we dancin’ when you’s done wurkin’. S’ok.” Yeah, we danced 3 times straight through. My writing was better on the other side of the dancing. It’s a different rhythm we have now, but no less devoted. Hope you have a wonderful 2007.

23. Liss on January 2nd, 2007 9:48 am

I’m late chiming in as well – here is my sad list of answers, http://missliss.typepad.com.

24. veralynn on January 2nd, 2007 12:04 pm

Yup! I posted mine here: http://vlynn.livejournal.com/19519.html

25. claire on January 2nd, 2007 12:27 pm

i did one, too! though, it may be too late… eh.

26. Pete on January 2nd, 2007 2:16 pm

Darn, I must be one of the few who post comments that doesnt’ have their own blog. ;-)

27. Karen's Place on January 2nd, 2007 3:28 pm

2006 In Review the Internet Game

I have more to say about my week in O!, but that’s going to have to wait. Until then, let’s play the Internet game that everyone is talking about! (Hat Tip SundryMourning.) 1. What did you do in 2006 that…

28. Sonia on January 2nd, 2007 4:12 pm

Okay, I did it.

29. Eclecta on January 2nd, 2007 8:19 pm

Hi there! Here’s my (belated) offering: http://eclecta.blogspot.com/2007/01/summing-up-2006.html

Thanks for providing the questions and the incentive!

E.

30. sognatrice on January 3rd, 2007 10:24 am

Came through Tartine and Lawyerish and did my own meme. I’m new to your blog and enjoying the catch up!

31. Jem on January 8th, 2007 3:13 am

Gah! I did it a few days ago, but the computer I was using in the South Island wouldn’t let me comment to tell you. Oh well!

32. Kurt on January 9th, 2007 9:13 am

I borrowed your 2006 Meme for my own site, hope you don’t mind :)
    (found you through myrambles.wordpress.com)

33. ucakkurzxg on January 12th, 2007 2:10 pm

Hello guys! I have some questions. I mean need some help.
    Where i can read more about this problema?
    Please, don’t derect me to http://google.com i know about it.
    Please derect me with some links.
    thanks!
    UCAKK^^

34. Calkbinna on February 8th, 2012 1:24 pm

ugg boots, drugs whatever send me i buy all – ok swell ? here i my adress facts
    search1computers@yahoo.com