It’s not often that I pat myself on the back for having made an unquestionably smart parenting decision. If anything, I’m usually wallowing in a murky swirl of What Ifs — besieged by doubt, flinching in the face of motherhood’s crushingly wonderful burden, second-guessing my capabilities.

But today, my friends, I took my son to the orthopedics center to have his cast removed. AND I TOTALLY REMEMBERED TO BRING A SECOND SHOE.

Screen shot 2012-12-17 at 10.36.08 AM

Screen shot 2012-12-17 at 10.36.21 AM

Well, duh, you might be thinking. What, you were going to make him limp back out to the car with one naked, shamefully grungy little exposed foot? Uh, yeah, chances were pretty fucking good. I can’t BELIEVE I remembered the shoe. PRO MOVE RIGHT HERE. JUST LOOK AT THAT FULLY CLOTHED CHILD.

Screen shot 2012-12-17 at 10.35.54 AM

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to bask in this unfamiliar glow of parental proficiency for as long as it lasts, which ought to be a good five minutes or so.

Comments

44 Responses to “That’s good hustle”

1. Erica on December 17th, 2012 11:45 am

I totally would have forgotten!

2. Penne on December 17th, 2012 11:45 am

High five! I would’ve forgotten and made him hop.

3. Pete on December 17th, 2012 11:46 am

I would have forgotten the shoe. Then I would have duct-taped the cast back on his foot until we got home. ;-)

4. annie on December 17th, 2012 11:48 am

Haha! Awesome post :)

5. Erin on December 17th, 2012 11:52 am

Yeah, I would have forgotten, too. Great work, Mama!

6. Eric's Mommy on December 17th, 2012 12:00 pm

I would have totally forgotten!

7. Susan on December 17th, 2012 12:10 pm

And sock! Definite bonus points for the sock.

8. sarah on December 17th, 2012 12:23 pm

This is parenting. *exactly*
    How do these victories feel SO HUGE?

9. sarah on December 17th, 2012 12:23 pm

This is parenting. *exactly*
    How do these victories feel SO HUGE?

10. Anne on December 17th, 2012 12:25 pm

I’m impressed you remembered the shoe, but I’m MORE impressed you remembered a second SOCK. I might have remembered one or the other, but no way both.

11. Aubrey on December 17th, 2012 12:56 pm

That is so not a “duh” thing. I’m impressed too.

12. ememby on December 17th, 2012 1:12 pm

This is akin to the euphoria I feel when I bathe my children more than twice in a week ;) We rock at parenting!

I’m also impressed that Dylan isn’t freaking out with the cast saw/removal thing… that was not a pleasant experience when our youngest had a cast on his arm.

13. Linda on December 17th, 2012 1:15 pm

Ememby: he definitely wasn’t sure about it at first: http://instagram.com/p/TWMuKGjuNw/ Heh.

14. Kelli on December 17th, 2012 1:27 pm

You are a rock star. I never would have remembered a shoe and sock. You get to take the rest of the day off!

15. nonsoccermom on December 17th, 2012 1:37 pm

Parenting win for sure! It would not have occurred to me in the least. Until I was carrying the kid back out to the car due to lack of shoe.

16. Amy M. on December 17th, 2012 2:01 pm

I’ve packed for weekend trips & forgotten socks, so kudos to you! :)

17. Randy on December 17th, 2012 2:17 pm

I think I missed why he had the cast in the first place.

18. Nimble on December 17th, 2012 2:39 pm

Total win. Enjoy that feeling. It’s amazing how parents are expected to keep track of all of their own crap plus the crap associated with other smaller human beings. Simultaneously.

19. LJ on December 17th, 2012 3:14 pm

HA! Pat yourself on the back with that one. Ours have been arms both times and the sleeves are thankfully attached – I would have totally forgotten the sock and shoe…..

20. Pam on December 17th, 2012 3:16 pm

Look at those giant big boy feet!! Good heavens. As we say with puppies, he’s gonna be a big ‘un!

I myself remembered to take my daughter’s band uniform to the cleaners today, an entire WEEK before she needs it again!

TOTAL PARENTING WIN HIGH FIVE!!!

21. Sarah on December 17th, 2012 3:23 pm

I would totally have forgotten and would then have tried to carry the 45 lb child to the car both ways. You win!

22. Danell on December 17th, 2012 4:37 pm

You are so unbelievably awesome. And not just because of the shoe! :)

23. JB on December 17th, 2012 4:38 pm

Awesome work. I totally high-five myself when I manage to get both kids to day care with lunches, hats, sheet bags and drink bottles. Happens about once a week.

24. Kim on December 17th, 2012 5:17 pm

MY HERO. Lots of days I have my kid’s every need met as far as clothing/dance bag/musical instrument etc so as I drive across the Missouri River Bridge I rejoice that I remembered to put my bra on before work. Now my breakfast/lunch/work thumb drive/workout clothes is still sitting at home in the kitchen where I dumped them but damn I remembered my undergarments. :)

25. Gigi on December 17th, 2012 5:42 pm

I had to laugh – there is no way in hell I would have remembered the shoe and sock! It’s the little things in parenting – it really is.

26. Amy N on December 17th, 2012 6:03 pm

I totally would have forgot!

27. Judy on December 17th, 2012 6:32 pm

Being the type who often forgets to get herself fully dressed, and even then has been known to wear a navy shoe with a 2″ heel and a black shoe with a 3″ heel and not even notice it until noon, I am so proud of you! My kids would have had to hop.

28. Donna on December 17th, 2012 8:16 pm

Dude, I forgot my own shoe when I got mine off, and had to do the walk of naked foot shame out to my car, where I had to drive home that way as well…….
    MAD props that you remembered!!!!!

29. Noemi on December 17th, 2012 8:17 pm

I don’t know, dude. Between this and the bed-making competition, you’re making the rest of us look bad. ;)

30. kasey on December 17th, 2012 8:42 pm

Way to go! I would be gloating about this until New Years, at least!

31. Rachael on December 18th, 2012 12:05 am

I would never have remembered the second shoe.

32. Robyn on December 18th, 2012 3:35 am

That’s hilarious! “Uh, yeah, chances were pretty fucking good.”

My fifteen year old had a cast last year, and I took him in to get it off and can’t even REMEMBER if I remembered the other shoe!!! Sad really!

Way to go….Mom of the year!! :)

33. sharon on December 18th, 2012 6:21 am

You’re doing something right. What a handsome, healthy, happy little boy!

34. Kim Hartman on December 18th, 2012 6:25 am

*high five*.

35. KeraLinnea on December 18th, 2012 9:33 am

Count me in with all those who would never have remembered. You are a rock star for remembering both. I might, MIGHT have remembered that he needed a shoe, but would never, ever have remembered the sock!

36. Jaida on December 18th, 2012 10:46 am

Yeah, congratulations and everything, but why in the world were you taking someone else’s tall, skinny boy to get his cast off? And where is Dylan with his smooshy cheeks?!?

(was his foot so gross??)

37. Alexa on December 18th, 2012 12:07 pm

1. Never, ever would have occurred to me.

2. I agree with what Jaida said, because certainly that boy is too old to be Dylan, as Dylan was born only a few days from Simone, and Simone is STILL A BABY.

38. Michelle on December 18th, 2012 3:38 pm

Kudos! Seriously, I would have totally forgotten. It’s the little things, right?

39. Victoria on December 18th, 2012 5:21 pm

High five man!

40. Janelle on December 18th, 2012 9:34 pm

This post is fantastic.

41. cara on December 19th, 2012 9:34 am

The older your kids get, the more totally envious I am that I didn’t have a mom like You.

42. Kara on December 19th, 2012 11:48 am

So, so awesome. If I worked in that hospital/dr office (let’s take a moment to be thankful I do not), I would have given you an ace parent award. Serious.

43. sara on December 19th, 2012 3:07 pm

I broke my ankle as an adult and forgot my own shoe when the cast came off! The Dr office had to give me a fugly plastic shoe.. Awful.

44. Naomi in Oz on December 26th, 2012 7:40 am

I am SOOOOOO impressed. I can’t even remember to take spare jocks to the pool for my kid even though he insists on wearing a pair under his boardies. he does this EVERY DAY.