The last time I saw my doctor, he was very firm on the subject of flu vaccinations. Get them for myself, and get them for my kids. Get the H1N1 vaccination for my kids the instant it becomes available. Do not pass Go, do not fiddle-fart around, go directly to the pediatrician’s office.

I planned to do so. Then, after a while, I started feeling unsure. Specifically about the H1N1 vaccine. I started worrying, in my non-medical-professional mouthbreathing sort of way, about potential dangers of a fast-tracked vaccine, and about reactions and side effects. You know, like a fever. Or . . . Guillain-Barre Syndrome. Death. Little things like that.

Then I read that in preparation for the swine flu vaccine, Washington has temporarily lifted a restriction that limits the amount of thimerosol—a mercury preservative—given to pregnant women and children under 3. Only around 15% of the vaccine supply will be mercury-free, and people may have to wait longer for it to become available.

Huh, I thought. That doesn’t seem good. Isn’t mercury what made Jeremy Piven such an insufferable douchebag, or something?

The FDA assures us the trace amount of mercury in an influenza vaccination is fine. The CDC is recommending vaccinations for people 6 months to 24 years old, among other groups. And since it seems inevitable that my kids will be repeatedly exposed to the flu this season—you can throw all the hand sanitizer you want at a daycare, but it’s still basically a toy-filled, skill-building petri dish—it would be irresponsible for me to not get that vaccine, right? I mean, statistically if we’re looking at worst-case scenarios the kids are probably much more likely to have Something Bad happen from the flu than a vaccination. JB’s coworker had the H1N1 virus a couple weeks ago and described how it made him feel like he couldn’t breathe for a couple days. Well, jesus. If there’s a way to help my kids avoid getting an illness like that, I should be ALL OVER IT.

… right?

So why does this feel like such a creepy, shitty decision?

Where are you at with the swine flu vaccine, with regards to your kids? I’m really interested in hearing your thoughts.

Comments

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
218 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
samantha jo campen
13 years ago

Theo just had his 18 month well check yesterday and I talked to the ped about my concerns about the H1N1 vaccine. Basically that it hasn’t been tested very long (3 months! That’s it!) and it freaked me out. He said he had the exact same concerns and didn’t feel 100% comfortable with it. He said with the H1N1 around here (Chicago burbs) it has been mild, and that the regular flu is worse. Since Theo is healthy blah blah blah he said he wouldn’t twist my arm to vaccinate him. The ped said he was still looking into new developements with the vaccine but yeah, something isn’t sitting well with me.

Scared out of my mind over here too. Jesus.

alomellin
alomellin
13 years ago

We were told by our pedi to get the regular flu shot. Fine, I’m cool w/ that. He goes to daycare, my husband works in a hosptial, etc. He also wants us to get the H1N1 vax. He didn’t say it w/ so much urgency as yours. In fact, he said to keep checking their website in order to see if and when they even have it. At any rate, I totally agree with your concerns. It worries me too that it’s being rushed the way it is. At the same time, I also agree with wanting to protect my son. So, we will most likely get it. I don’t want to, but I’m afraid of the alternative. I’m really interested to see the rest of the responses on here too.

Kari C.
Kari C.
13 years ago

I don’t have any children at this time (hope to be remedying that in the near future), but the subject of vaccines has come up a bit with me and I have talked to others about it, how I don’t think it’s healthy to give a small being so many at once. The whole healthy child to autistic child thing frightens me. So I get what you are talking about with an on-the-fly vaccine such as this.
I work at Harborview, and they are pushing very hard for all employees to get vaccinated for both regular and H1N1, so I almost don’t have a choice.
But if I had a child? I’m on the fence a bit on this as well.

Janet
Janet
13 years ago

The was posted on one of my list servs from Britain. Drug companies are so powerful, and us lowly parent types don’t really have the ability to fight a huge money making machine like that.

Its a decision a lot of parents are tussling with.

> Britain’s swine flu vaccine contains additive that may lead to autism
> by ANI on September 26, 2009
> London, September 26 (ANI): The swine flu vaccine being used in Britain contains an additive the use of which in children’s jabs was stopped five years ago, over fears that it could lead to autism.
> Pandemrix, which has received the green light from European drugs regulators to be given to children over six months old and pregnant women, contains the mercury-based compound Thiomersal, which has not been used in childhood vaccines since 2004.
> The compound was removed from jabs in America 10 years ago, after issues were raised by the US Public Health Service.
> However, the Department of Health in Britain is defending its use.
> “There is no risk from Thiomersal in vaccines. The medical community is not divided on this. The only place where people say there is a problem is outside the scientific community,” the Daily Express quoted Professor David Salisbury, the Director of Immunisations, as saying.
> Chief Medical Officer Sir Liam Donaldson said that the number of swine flu cases was still low, but there were signs a second wave could be on its way. (ANI)

Anonymous
Anonymous
13 years ago

We request the preservative-free flu shot when we take our 3-year old buy to the doctor every fall. There is no way we are getting the H1N1 vaccine. Our son isn’t in daycare and we don’t plan to be on any planes or trains in the near future, so I think we’re low risk. Also, I think the H1N1 is being way over-hyped. I just saw on the news today, that the strain is already weakening from what it was last winter.

Eric's Mommy
Eric's Mommy
13 years ago

I am getting a regular flu shot, and if I can the H1N1 vaccine.

I dread when my Son goes back to school because he gets sick right away. You said it best “toy-filled, skill-building petri dish.”

My Husband freaked us all out because he is on the Emergency Management team for our town. They recently had a meeting just about the swine flu and what to do if our whole town (which is really small) gets infected.

In the back of my mind though I am a little worried about this H1N1 vaccine.

Nolita Morgan
13 years ago

I am in Oklahoma and swine flu is already going through our area pretty stealthily. Kids in my daughter’s class have had H1N1 and from what I’ve heard, it’s good for about a week of hell. Last time I had the flu was 4 years ago in AUGUST when a co-worker came in with a fever! No amount of hand-washing could have kept me from getting sick (dammit!). The vaccine won’t be available in our area until next month sometime and I am betting that we will have all been exposed to it by then. To add to the fun, Strep has been accompanying H1N1 here. We are not in the groups recommended for the shot so we’ll be riding it out…

Hilary
13 years ago

I live in San Diego, where we had a measles outbreak because people didn’t vaccinate their kids. It caused a huge health scare and forced people to quarantine their kids. I KNOW this is a controversial topic, but I think people tend to ignore real risks (measles, swine flu) for not-proven risks (vaccinations might somehow harm my kid but nobody can prove it). We never got flu shots until my husband ended up in the ER with pneumonia (which started as the flu) when I was out of town. That’s a call you never want to get — your husband delirious, in an ambulance. Do your research, of course, but keep in mind the very real risks that both the flu and the swine flu present.

Jenni
Jenni
13 years ago

My 25 month old son has gotten the flu vaccine (actually the nasal Flumist) and will get the H1N1 when available. I worked previously for a well known flu expert, and would never risk him catching the virus. When compared to historical similar influenza outbreaks, his age group would be one of the most impacted, and most likely to lead to death. Not worth it for me to chance it. the 1918 flu was TERRIBLE and if there’s even a small opportunity that this one will take off like that one…HOLY CRAP!! I’ll vaccinate myself as well if there’s enough left, though I’m older than the typical risk group.

Maria
13 years ago

I’m totally going to get the Bad Mom of the Year Award for admitting this, but my kids have *cough* NEVER had a flu shot. Any flu shot. The problem the first few years was that my kids were continually sick with some sort of random virus, and every time I tried to do it I was told I should wait til they are completely symptom free. Well, with day-care in the fall/winter, it seems my kids are never completely symptom free. Then I just sort of uh, forgot about it. I suck.

So I’m kind of running into the same thought process now that their WCCs are up again next month. If they are healthy should I do it? I think I will get the regular flu shot (assuming everyone is already healthy) but I’m with you regarding uncertainty with the H1N1. The newness of it just scares me.

Jas
Jas
13 years ago

I don’t have kids, so my opinion might not be worth as much, but if I did…I would get them the seasonal flu vaccine, but not the H1N1. It just seems like it’s been slammed through so quickly, and the lifting of the mercury regulations also struck me as strange – weren’t they in place for a reason? It would make me too nervous to give it to a young child. I also do not plan on getting it myself. It seems like seasonal flu is a much bigger threat than H1N1.

Kirsty
13 years ago

Here in France, panic levels are pretty low. There are two kids at my daughters’ school who have had H1N1, but so far no one else seems to have come down with it (and it’s been 10 days or so now).
No mention has been made of mass vaccination (except for the really high risk groups – pregnant women, etc.) and I’m certainly not planning on getting myself, my husband or either of my daughters vaccinated. I feel unhappy with the safety level involved and cautiously optimistic that this flu isn’t as bad as the risk of having the vaccine…

Pete
Pete
13 years ago

I’m of the camp “That which does not kill us makes us stronger” so I don’t get any flu shots and unless my kids ask for a needle in the arm I don’t get them shots either.

JennB
JennB
13 years ago

I’m going to pass on it. I hope I don’t regret it, but I feel a little bit like this is being rushed…. I don’t want to put my kids at risk for a side-effect somewhere down the line. I don’t even get flu shots, and my pediatrician has never said anything about it. He doesn’t force vaccines: when my son was 12 months old, he had a little sniffle and the doctor said “let’s wait on the MMR: it’s a live vaccine and I don’t want to compromise his immune system by giving him that right now”. I love my doctor. We do vaccinate our children, but not for the flu.

g~
g~
13 years ago

I live around the Atlanta area and the H1N1 has already made the rounds. We haven’t dealt with it personally (nah, it’s just been all strep all the time for 2 weeks here) but everyone with whom I have spoken who HAS dealt with it said it was no biggie. My best friend’s kids both had it and it was fever for about four days with laying around but other than that, not a huge deal. Like milder than the regular flu. But maybe there are different strains around the country? In my opinion, if my kids are healthy I would rather risk the flu than the (mostly) untested immunization. But then again, I am fairly lazy about that kind of stuff anyway.

Heidi
Heidi
13 years ago

I am a little concerned about the mercury and the haste in putting together the vaccine, but one of my kiddos has exercise induced Asama and the other has only one working side of her nose (and I am pregnant) So from what we have been told, the benefits FAR out weigh the risk… Good luck.. It is such a hard decision.

Tela
Tela
13 years ago

We are in the same place, do we/don’t we?…my 3 cildren range in age from 6 mos. to 6 years. Between the classroom and daycare they are exposed to everything. Our entire family, including my husband and I, will be getting the flu shot and always have. The H1N1, I just don’t know. It is so new. Why the sudden lift of the mercury regulations? Weren’t they in place for a reason? But the seasonal flu can be so deadly and the H1N1 is being made out to be more so. Do you really take that chance? People die from the flu, not from vaccine side effects. But the side effects could be life long. Do we really know what those side effects might be? UGH!!! Great topic. I look forward to reading the other comments.

Shannon
13 years ago

I, too, am on the fence. I usually get flu shots for my children…and my 4 year old has already had her seasonal flu shot…but this one scares me. The rushing of it, not enough time in testing, as well as the previous problems in the prior swine flu outbreak.

I spoke with a friend of mine who is a doctor, and asked what he planned to do. He is also worried about the rushing of it and says he is 50/50 about vaccinating his family. My pediatrician, however, does recommend the shot.

I am just so torn, and have fretting over this choice. I can’t imagine if I didn’t get the shot, and then something terrible happened…or if I choose to get the shot despite my fears and then there are terrible side effects. Either way, how could I live with my choice? I wish I had a crystal ball.

Sometimes being the parent really sucks.

Spring
13 years ago

I’m not usually scared of vaccinations, and my kids already got the seasonal flumist vaccine, but we’re sitting out the H1N1. I’m a little worried, since my son started preschool this fall, and we’ve already had 3 viruses in 3 weeks, so, like you said, big petri dish. But my Aunt developed Guillain-Barre in the 70’s after getting the swine flue vaccine, and there’s this niggling worry in the back of mind as to whether maybe there is some genetic component to certain people that may make them more susceptible to that, and while I know that’s doubtful, I’m just too nervous. My Aunt was in a wheelchair the rest of her life. If that happened to my kids I’d feel so guilty. Of course, the other part of my brain feels like I’m worrying about something about as likely as getting struck by lightning while square dancing with a rooster on my head.

Anyabeth
13 years ago

I will get her the vaccination and then worry about it. Same as I do with the others. I hate vaccinations but I love them. I couldn’t stand it if the kid was sick (especially seriously, let us not even speak of it sick) because I couldn’t pull the trigger. But I will hate it.

Crystal
Crystal
13 years ago

I am 17 1/2 weeks pregnant, wife to an amazing man and the proud mother of a 3 year old and a 5 year old.

No flu vaccines for us. Not now. Not ever.

They like to tell us things are safe. Remember Elidel? The cure all for Eczema. It was GREAT until it was found to cause cancer. Oops. It was Black Boxed the day after my doctor wrote me a prescription.

And now that Gardasil has actually killed young girls, hmmm that isnt as safe as they once thought too.

And we can extended that to arthritis medications, and prescription diet drugs.

No thanks. I’ll take my chances with hand washing, vitamin D and a glass of OJ in the morning.

Sunshyn
Sunshyn
13 years ago

You know how I feel about the additives in vaccines. They’re not safe. Even with only “trace” amounts of thimerosol, there is still aluminum to contend with. And other adjuvants. They just don’t KNOW. I watched my little guy go from a normal healthy baby who had met all his milestones into the descent into autism, and I DO blame the flu shot, combined with all the vaccines they wanted him “caught up” on, AND he was sick at the time, and, well, NO WAY. H1N1 is just not the killer they want you to believe it is. It’s the flu. I went to the CDC community forum in my town, and they really DON’T know what they are doing. Some Canadian studies suggest that the regular flu shot will make one more susceptible to contract H1N1 BEFORE that vaccine is even available. And it appears H1N1 was manmade, probably by the patent holder of the vaccine. Bolster your immune systems with Vitamins D and C and elderberry extract. Wash your hands, clean your surfaces of snotty excretions. Vaccine additives, especially aluminum, are now being thought to cause Alzheimers, ALS, and other cognitive disorders (including autism). And none of these vaccines are being tested cumulatively. Pediatricians are often stockholders in pharmaceutical companies… And the government officials tasked with vaccine safety are patent holders and sit on the boards of pharmaceutical companies, as well. Can you say “conflict of interest”? I knew you could…

Heather
Heather
13 years ago

After quite a bit of reading and discussion with my nurse friends, I am opting not to get the H1N1 vaccine. I don’t have children but I would be very nervous about giving this vaccine to children. I do not envy you parents having to make that decision.

Linda
Linda
13 years ago

The H1N1 vaccine was created with the SAME PROCESS as every flu vaccine for the past few decades. It makes NO SENSE to get the seasonal flu vaccine but avoid the H1N1 vaccine due to health concerns.

Gina
13 years ago

We always get a flu shot, but I worry about the H1N1 vaccine. I know 2 people who were adversely affected by it back on 76 (one died), and I am just not ready to take a chance on something quite so new.

Jess
13 years ago

I work for a public health nonprofit and what I have learned through my work has made me incredibly supportive of vaccines. I am not worried about the H1N1 vaccine possibly being dangerous. For one thing, as I’m sure you know, the seasonal flu vaccine is developed new every year, which is why we need one every year, because the expected strains of the virus are different each time. The H1N1 vaccine is developed using exactly the same methods as the seasonal flu vaccine, so even though it seems like it’s scary! and new! it is really just like a seasonal flu vaccine for a different strain. The H1N1 vaccine is being extensively tested, just like the seasonal flu vaccine is tested each year.

Secondly, I really don’t have concerns about thimerosal. There was a huge backlash against it a few years ago not due to any links to health problems, autism, etc., but due to a vocal and concerned minority raising questions about a possible link that was never found. Signs of autism often begin to show themselves at an age when kids are also receiving vaccines; of course there are bound to be some cases where the timing coincides, but it doesn’t mean they’re connected.

Also, flu can be more than just a week of suffering. It can cause serious complications and even death. It’s rare, but it happens. I also read the blog of a woman who miscarried her baby as a result of contracting H1N1. The flu, both seasonal and H1N1, can be dangerous; the vaccine is not.

The point here is, I get a seasonal flu vaccine every year, and will this year as well. I don’t fall into a risk group for H1N1 right now, but as I hope to become pregnant within the next year, I plan to get the H1N1 vaccine for myself when I have the opportunity. If I had kids they’d be getting the vaccine as well.

Nancy
13 years ago

I was on the fence to begin with, but I didn’t know about that whole mercury thing. That is pushing me more towards the side of “no, thanks.” I trust my daughter’s pediatrician, though, so I’ll see what she has to say.

Playstead
13 years ago

Great post, we’ve been wondering the same thing. We’re definitely going through with the regular flu shot (I might even get one), but not sure about the Pig shot. It’s going to be bad this year — some kids are already home from school with the crud. Strap it in.

Kizz
13 years ago

I can’t even make the decision for myself, can’t imagine making it for kids. I’ll make a stab at the mercury restriction lifting question. This is a total guess but I’m willing to bet that the restrictions are in place based on repeated vaccinations. So you take out the mercury because the level in one shot has very low risk but over the course of a few years of vaccinations that risk increases significantly. The fact that the restriction is listed as being temporarily lifted might lead me to believe that they’re going to lift it for this season so that this vaccine can go out to the population quickly and they’ll put the restriction back in place so that the next incarnations of any flu vaccines, when they’ve had more time to refine them, will conform to the restriction.

Maybe I’m giving the powers that be too much benefit of the doubt but I think it’s possibly true.

susie
13 years ago

thimerosal is UNEQUIVOCALLY unrelated to autism. epidemiology >>> anecdotal evidence. get the flu shot, and don’t worry. it’s so easy to worry and attribute already-present behaviors or minor unrelated symptoms to vaccines.

think of it as hedging your bets: the probability of you and/or your sweet kids getting the flu and being very uncomfortable (or, god forbid, worse) far exceeds that of anything happening related to the vaccine. the CDC isn’t part of a conspiracy, and the removal of thimerosal from vaccines in the first place was based on the uproar from NONscientists. Doctors are NOT scientists.

get the vaccine!

Callie
Callie
13 years ago

I’ve been struggling with it too but am leaning toward getting it for my son (15 months) when it becomes available. I don’t worry so much about the short testing time, because as far as I know, it’s that way with all flu vaccines. They have to wait until they know which strains of the flu are circulating each season, then concoct a vaccine to fight it. So it’s not like ANY flu vaccine has been tested for years and years. I am a firm believer in on-time vaccination and thankfully have a pediatrician who I would literally trust with my son’s life. I will probably ask to speak with him directly (not just his nurse) and get his take on it before making a final decision.

penne
13 years ago

Nope. The sickest my children and I have ever been is the one year I marched us all in for flu shots. I ended up with pneumonia after three months of flu symptoms – the boys were sick for weeks. Whether it was the shot or standing in line with everyone else waiting for shots, I dunno…but I’d rather we all had strong healthy immune systems without help…I”m all for MMR-tetnus, but I don’t like the idea of flu shots, especially hurried-up panicky ones.

Julie
Julie
13 years ago

As a healthcare worker, I am mandated to get both vaccines. I am hesitant about the kids, however when we go, if both are available, I will get them both. If not, I will not go back a second time so I will leave it up to fate.

Catherine
13 years ago

I’m 27 weeks pregnant with my first and I am really struggling with this. I have never had the flu, nor have I ever had the flu shot. So were I not pregnant, I wouldn’t think twice about not getting the vaccine, regular or H1N1.

But being pregnant, I’m more worried about both choices. The inclusion of thimerosol seems dangerous. I, like you, question why they would allow higher levels or something that they had been phasing out. And the regular flu vaccine is usually developed over a period of at least 6 months, so the rush on this one terrifies me because it won’t only affect me but also my yet-to-be-born daughter.

I actually just talked to my OB today and he wasn’t very helpful. He said he did recommend both vaccines because the flu can be dangerous for pregnant women and he never wants his patients to be sick. But he also said he would understand if I didn’t get either and he didn’t act too concerned about that choice.

My understanding of H1N1 is that it’s just another strand of the flu, just a strand that developed unexpectedly. My OB said that, had the CDC expected it, they would have planned for it in the regular flu vaccine anyway. And since I probably wouldn’t have gotten that, I don’t feel the need to get H1N1.

That being said, I will be heading to the doctor much faster than usual if I develop flu-like symptoms.

Courtney
13 years ago

Jesus. I just decided to get my grown-up 26-year-old self a regular FLU vaccine this year. I hadn’t even considered the H1N1; nor the fact that once I crap out a kid we’re/ I’m responsible for making decisions like this too. Shitballs. Tough choice. I’d say (on the subject of assvice), if knowing that you’re kid will have no residual affects because they weren’t given a fast-tracked (and thus perhaps shaky) vaccine is worth a week from hell of flu… well, damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Yeah, not very helpful, am I?

Lauren
13 years ago

As I understand it, the mercury is in the H1N1 vaccine because it is being produced so quickly. Thimerosal is a preservative, and since the H1N1 vaccine is being produced under a shortened timeline, there simply isn’t enough time to do the usual extended stability and sterility studies that the production of a safe vaccine without thimerosal would require. So there is a reason for the thimerosal being in there, and I’m sure it’s the smallest amount possible. I think it would be best to do the H1N1 as a stand-alone shot, not in conjunction with another vaccination. That’s my plan, anyway.
I do hope that the swine flu does turn out to be a non-event, but if it is bad, the younger you are the more at risk for a bad outcome you are. If we can prevent a pandemic, we should.
I don’t want to get into a vaccination battle, but the vast majority of pediatricians do NOT own large amounts of big pharma stock, and members of FDA approval boards do NOT sit on company boards.
Sorry for the long comment!

-R-
-R-
13 years ago

I agree with what Hilary wrote: “I think people tend to ignore real risks (measles, H1N1) for not-proven risks (vaccinations might somehow harm my kid but nobody can prove it).” But I am going to try to get the preservative-free H1N1 vaccine for my son, if possible.

Kelsey
13 years ago

I didn’t get to read all the comments, but both my kids (ages 1.5 and nearly 5) will get the H1N1 vaccine – they both have asthmatic issues and are considered very high risk. Last year w/ “normal” flu/colds my son was at children’s hospital while on vacation twice fore breathing difficulty.

I know that people argue that vaccines MIGHT
not be safe, but I know my kids will struggle if w catch H1N1 – my husband and I plan to get both flu vaccines as well.

Serenity Now
13 years ago

My son is almost 18 months, and I don’t think we’ll be getting the H1N1 vaccine either. I even held off on the MMR until he’s a bit older. He’s not in daycare, but even if he was, I think I would still make the same decision. We did get him the flu vaccine last year..but this H1N1 thing is so new, and the whole mercury thing freaks me out. I’m interested in reading everyone else’s opinions, but I think in the end, we all have to trust our instincts and go with our gut. I would hate to get him the vaccine and then be a worried mess about it.

Chris
Chris
13 years ago

Will get my 3 year old the regular flu shot, piggy shot – not so much. Too fast and like another commenter posted, years from now they could says ‘oops, that vaccine causes cancer’ Thanks but no thanks, I’ll take my chances.

jen
jen
13 years ago

I spoke with my ped about this last month at C’s 15 month appt. We are opting for the regular flu shot this year and possibly the H1N1. It is sort of a we’ll see thing because 1. it isn’t even available yet and 2. they are not who will even be eligible to receive it. I completely understand the concern about lifting the mercury limit and when I saw your tweet I was all WTF? but then I think, well how much mercury is in the albacore tuna I eat. I would like to see the comparison to that and then I could decide. Because trace amounts doesn’t mean anything to someone who isn’t a scientist you know?

-R-
-R-
13 years ago

Oops, I meant to add that if I can’t get the preservative-free vaccine, I’ll still get him the H1N1 vaccine. I think the risk of flu is too great not to, especially considering that my son goes to daycare every day.

Joceline
Joceline
13 years ago

No one in our house is getting the vaccine. My kids aren’t in daycare, and aside from a couple of teething-related low-grade fevers, neither child has ever been sick at all. My husband and I never get sick, and rarely does anyone in either extended family. We all eat very well, exercise, and, I believe, have naturally been lucky enough to get strong immune systems. I’m not trying to brag; I just think that our risk factor for our personal family is quite low. In fact, because I have multiple little ones napping in rounds all day long, we hardly ever even get out of the house. Pathetic, yes. Are we likely to get sick? No.

I’m concerned with the lack of testing, the mercury, etc. I don’t think our chances of getting the flu are very high at all. We’ll boost our immune systems with vitamins D and C. I really think the Swine Flu is being blown out of proportion, much like Swine Flu in the 70s and Bird Flu.

pam
pam
13 years ago

Our ped office is pretty conservative as it is, and they haven’t decided what their stance is on it yet. I trust them and if they recommend it, the boys will get it.

I hope they do recommend it, because my boys all have asthma, and they go to daycare, so I really don’t want them to get it.

Alli
13 years ago

I don’t work for any health related agencies, but I have to agree with Jess just based on my own thoughts and feelings. Last year I made my entire family get flu shots because we were bringing home baby during February- the month that is usually cursed with sickness for us. Last February was the first time in four years we were not sick. We will be getting the flu shot (mist for kids). If the swine flu shot is also available, we probably will get it.

katie
katie
13 years ago

both boys had the flu shot last yr. they are now 23mos and 12 mos. my FIL (an oncologist) does not recommend flu or swine flu vaccine for either one since they are not in daycare. he said def. no to swine flu vacc. bc of the newness of it. we will be skipping the swine flu vacc and so far getting the flu shot (in oct) bc we go to a shared play space for the kids. but am having doubts and may just cancel out membership there….so many concerns.

jen
jen
13 years ago

Wow…it’s like I didn’t even read my comment before I hit submit. 2. should read they don’t even know who will be eligible to receive it (i.e. who is defined as high risk if it is to be limited to that?).

Stephanie
Stephanie
13 years ago

My husband and I don’t get flu shots. My children will not be getting the H1N1 shot. I haven’t decided if they will get the regular flu shot (they are 3.5 and 6 months). I don’t have any medical reasons for why I don’t get the shots, I just dont feel comfortable doing so. The people I know that get flu shots always get sick anyway.

I actually think the flu shot is a conspiracy, but that’s just my opinion.

Amy M.
Amy M.
13 years ago

I had the swine flu & couldn’t breathe for a week (I also have asthma). It was awful & am awaiting the vaccine with trepidation. The CDC keeps changing guidelines (2 shots for all, no 1 shot, no 2 shots for kids under 10, WTF?) & that makes me nervous that they’re making it up as they go along. Hopefully the germ farm my kids attend will be swine flu-free!

g~
g~
13 years ago

Not that this would have changed my opinion because I wouldn’t prob get the flu or H1N1 for me or my kids but my husband ended up in the ER because of an allergic reaction to the flu vaccine a few years ago. It was one of those random things–he was the “one in whatever number”. Kind of like anyone who has a reaction to an immunization, has complications from the flu, etc. The risks go both ways and no one wants to be ‘that’ statistic on either side of it.

1 2 3 5