There’s nothing that makes me feel the brutal nature of time’s passing quite like seeing an update from a person I know but don’t hear from very frequently and their small child has somehow morphed into an adult-shaped human and it makes absolutely no fucking sense whatsoever because THAT was a BABY like FIVE MINUTES AGO.

Anyway, guess what? Riley is seventeen now!

He drives now. He’s a straight-A student gearing up for a challenging year of AP courses. He’s an avid track athlete who’s focused on the triple jump. He’s hilariously snarky and loves animals, basketball, having one AirPod in at all times, and weightlifting. He still makes a giant mess when he eats crackers.

It feels like it’s been 17 years, it feels like it’s been 17 minutes.

We’re down to the final months of having him at home, and I realize that’s what it was all about from day one but I can’t think about it for too long or it takes my breath away.

Comments

Notify of
guest
15 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Kim
Kim
1 month ago

OH MY GOD NO. I mean…I was an avid reader of yours long before you were even pregnant with this one. Jesus. But what an outstanding young man; I know you all are so proud.

Stacy
1 month ago

My oldest started high school this week so I feel this deeply in my bones and it takes my breath away. Sending you all the good vibes for moments of presence and gratitude.

Elizabeth_K
Elizabeth_K
1 month ago

Like Stacy, mine just started high school (oldest, one in middle and one still in elementary!) but it seems like it takes forever and like the time is just GONE. You have a lot to be proud of.

Laura
Laura
1 month ago

I have been following you since before he was born. I remember printing out your blog posts when your times with a newborn were tough for my daughter to know she wasn’t alone. He is such a handsome guy. I just know he’s going to be successful at whatever he endeavors.

Kristin
Kristin
1 month ago

I have been reading you since before he was born. **Deep breaths**
Happy birthday Riley.

Jenine
Jenine
1 month ago

Absolutely agree – other people’s children getting older will be the death of us all one day.

Jill
Jill
1 month ago

I hope he has a great birthday! He is a very handsome young man

JBS
JBS
1 month ago

“and I realize that’s what it was all about from day one”… I had to put my phone down and stare off into the distance for a little while after reading that.
My youngest is turning 13 this week and the mother-grief is hitting hard.

Erica
Erica
1 month ago

Congratulations. Happy Birthday to your big, beautiful boy.

sara
sara
1 month ago

OMG im both crying, and turning into dust because how did that time go so quick? Happy Bday Riley!

Anu
Anu
1 month ago

Happy Birthday to Riley! Can’t believe I’ve been reading about you and your family since my mid-20s and now I’m in my 40s. Damn!

cs white
cs white
1 month ago

“…but I can’t think about it for too long or it takes my breath away.” Oh, mama, mine turns 16 very soon and I feel this all the way!

MCW
MCW
29 days ago

You hit the nail on the head! Its exciting to witness (and support) the the onward and upward trajectory of teens, but man is it gut-wrenching too. Happy birthday to Riley and happy birth day to you!

Melanie J
Melanie J
24 days ago

I’m sorry but how have I been reading your blog for this long that I have seen your kid grow up?? Congrat to you as his mom on such an accomplished kid. Happy birthday to your son. All the best from this very long time and (and now old) reader.

Shelie Faulkner
Shelie Faulkner
21 days ago

I remember when your boys were babies.