This is my 6th year doing this New Year’s quiz, good god. If you’re interested, here are my answers from 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, and 2004.

You should do it too, it’s a fun way to look back on your year. If you post it in your blog, will you add your link to the comments here? I’d love to see your answers.

1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?

Flew across the country with one of my kids. Attended a fancy movie premiere. Started seeing a personal trainer. Climbed a giant-ass skyscraper. Bought a bicycle. Went camping as a family (partial family, actually. Next year, Dylan!). Completed a triathlon. Learned the Thriller Dance, and danced it in a group. Started training for a half marathon. Saw one of my children turn one, and the other turn four. Signed up for a college class at 35.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

Here’s what I wrote last year: I’d like to maintain my commitment to healthy eating and exercise, make an honest attempt to create more meaning in my career, and find the balls to step outside my comfort zone more often. I’d say I did a good job at the first and third goal, not as much on the career goal as I believe I meant it at the time. I don’t think I’ve done a very good job at shaping my current job to be more meaningful to me, even within the confines that make it difficult to do so.

That said, I have done a lot of soul-searching about what sort of career I might find more meaningful in the future, and I’ve started thinking very seriously about the steps I want to take in order to get there. So: half credit?

My resolutions for 2010:

• Complete at least 4 physical events that are extremely challenging to me (ie, a 5K no longer counts)
• Have at least 16 school credits under my belt
• Teach Riley to swim
• Be home in time for dinner at least 4 days a week
• Incorporate more whole foods into our diet, and less processed junk
• Make some kind of headway on a novel
• Go on an overnight trip with JB
• Grow at least one vegetable this summer that doesn’t die, DAMN

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Not outside of the internets, no.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

5. What countries did you visit?

I have a feeling my answer is going to be the same on this one for quite a while: none outside of the country in which I currently reside.

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?

Ideally, less time spent in my evening commute. And perhaps a winning lottery ticket.

7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

I don’t know that there’s one specific date that stands out.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Right now it feels like the commitment to running, but that’s probably just because I’m in the midst of it. I’ll say my willingness to do what it takes to meet a challenging goal, whether that’s taking swimming lessons, paying a horrifying tuition fee, getting up in the morning to run before work, etc.

9. What was your biggest failure?

The same thing I’ve said for the last several years: the moments when I’ve been less than the parent I want to be.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

No. Not a single cold, even.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

By far, my ongoing personal training sessions have been the best money I’ve ever spent. Those sessions are continually teaching me I’m capable of so much more than I give myself credit for, and that positive energy has influenced every aspect of my life.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

Nobody in particular comes to mind.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

I’m going to say those balloon boy parents, and here’s why: I watched live footage of that fucking balloon with my eyeballs pressed against the computer screen, on the verge of TEARS for that kid. I mean, I almost had a heart attack when it started swooping around and looking like it might crash, I was absolutely RIVETED and TERRIFIED and helplessly shouting at the helicopters to DO SOMETHING DAMMIT. Goddamned shyster famewhores, I hope the dad gets prison-cornholed by a large hairy man named Bluto.

14. Where did most of your money go?

The mortgage, daycare, the gyms JB and I go to, groceries, the assorted workout flotsam I’ve accumulated over the year, date nights.

15. What did you get really excited about?

I’m really, really, really excited about starting school again. Check back with me in a couple months, I may take that back.

16. What song will always remind you of 2009?

Oh god, this is awful: a Chris Brown song. I know, right? We hate Chris Brown! But I will always think of this as the song that reinvigorated my long runs and pushed my 5K times in 2009.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

– happier or sadder? Happier, I think.
– thinner or fatter? Thinner, a little. Stronger, at any rate.

– richer or poorer? Financially poorer, definitely.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Packed up the kids and left the house when it was clear things were disintegrating into a pile of boredom and crankiness, and what was needed was a change of scenery.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Losing my temper and yelling at a tantruming child.

20. How did you spend Christmas?

At the grandparents’ house in Coos Bay.

21. Did you fall in love in 2009?

I think this question is maybe intended for the single ladies, yes? I’m going to say I re-discovered cheese-pretzel Combos, and if that ain’t love, I don’t know what it is. (An UNHOLY, NEAR-SEXUAL OBSESSION, maybe.)

22. What was your favorite TV program?

Probably The Wire, which we finally finished (WOE).

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

24. What was the best book you read?

I can’t possibly remember what I read more than two months ago, but recently I’d choose either Born to Run, Fat Girl, or Hunger Games. (I’m sorry they sound like they are part of a common theme; they aren’t.)

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?

Hmm. I think maybe the station Pandora serves up when you seed it with The Dollyrots.

26. What did you want and get?

A year of mostly healthy children (excepting the month of October which we will never speak of again), stronger muscles, more energy, a happier, more fulfilled husband, some personal clarity about what I want to be doing in five or ten years.

27. What did you want and not get?

I wanted to write a novel. I didn’t.

(I wrote about a chapter and a half, decided I was either writing a terrible book, or the wrong book for my abilities and interests, or some ill-advised combination of those two things, went back to the drawing board, started in two other directions, and stalled out completely. I would like to pick that ball back up in 2010, if only because it makes me crazy that I haven’t given that goal 100% effort yet.)

I also wanted to publish a book of funny parenting poems. I didn’t.

(I had some initial interest from an agent, which got me all in a lather, and I put together a proposal and eventually pitched several other agencies, but nothing came of it all. On the bright side, I learned how to write a proposal, and I now know to wait on the agent-interest-excitement until there’s maybe, like, a contract.)

28. What was your favorite film of this year?

Avatar in 3D. Boom. Game-changer, no lie.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I think I worked that day and then there was cake? Nothing too exciting, obviously, but I’m sure it was a nice one. I turned 35.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

A shorter commute.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?

Heels On Work Days, Yoga Pants Every Other Day.

32. What kept you sane?

Same exact answer as last year: this blog, as always. Exercise. Laughing kids.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

I’m all hung up on the word “fancy” again. Is this my Touareg speaking to me? If so, can you stop occasionally telling me about a TYRE PRESSURE MONITORING FAULT, because 1) it’s TIRE here in the America, and 2) man, talk about a first world problem, you wussy-assed Euromobile.

Anyway, I think I’ll go with George Clooney, because I saw him recently in Up in the Air and my god, that man is a dreamboat.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?

Healthcare in this country, and how it sucks a lumpy dick.

35. Who did you miss?

My kids, when I was at the office and work was driving me crazy. Work, when I was at home and the kids were driving me crazy. Etc.

36. Who was the best new person you met?

Luciana, our adorable Brazilian babysitter who is always available, is the sweetest thing on the planet, has a wonderful little girl she usually brings along, and is—most important of all, obviously—fantastic with the kids.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.

I wrote some over here. It’s most second-to-last Gather.com post, as my contract is drawing to an end, so go visit. Play me out, keyboard cat.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

You know what? Forget this song bullshit. Let’s go with a quote instead, and I’ll use one from my favorite source of inspiration lately, running legend Dean Karnazes. This is less a summing up of my year, and more a statement I find meaningful to my life:

If you’re not pushing yourself beyond the comfort zone, if you’re not constantly demanding more from yourself—expanding and learning as you go—you’re choosing a numb existence. You’re denying yourself an extraordinary trip.

3940341374_61e418c023

3663716171_f38cacbd79

I’d add to that: don’t forget to be as ridiculous as humanly possible, as much as humanly possible.

3696840864_fca2f9a179

3416166279_6e1b9fefb0

4096813001_799e1b5b06

3573548314_0a751fb1fa

(Credit where credit’s due: I originally found this quiz on Gwenworld.com.)

Comments

131 Responses to “New Year’s tradition”

1. Shannon on December 30th, 2009 7:04 pm

I just <3 You! What a year! You are amazing and inspiring! Happy New Year to you and your family!

2. Jess on December 30th, 2009 7:10 pm

I JUST posted mine, while wondering if you were going to do yours this year. Will update my post to reflect that yours is up. Here’s the link: http://duwaxloolu.blogspot.com/2009/12/year-in-review.html

3. kalisa on December 30th, 2009 7:42 pm

Me too, Jess! Now I need to update mine since I said it looks like Sundry wasn’t posting this year!

4. Lindsey on December 30th, 2009 7:51 pm

You’re an inspiration – I turned 35 this year too and am watching you leap with awe – I am looking to make a professional change of my own this year and hearing you talk about it makes me feel brave.
    I ran my first half marathon in 2008 and intend to do another one in 2010.
    Thanks for being out there!

5. Lindsey on December 30th, 2009 7:52 pm

Oh PS forgot to mention a big part of my 2010 resolutions is shortening (ie getting rid of) my horrible commute as well!

6. Sarah Miller on December 30th, 2009 7:52 pm

Re #27:
    The book you are currently writing will always feel like a terrible/sucky/loathesome/dreadful/inadequate book for at least 60% of the time you spend writing it. Don’t be scared. You love Anne Lamott, right? Remember not to tune into to KFKD any more than you have to.

7. Sarah Lena on December 30th, 2009 8:03 pm

That pic of Riley flying with wings? Totally caught my breath in my throat.

Mine’s up; I was hoping you’d do yours again, too. You’re doing amazing things; keep up the good work!

8. Sarah Lena on December 30th, 2009 8:03 pm

Crap. I lied and linked the wrong post.

New Resolution: Literacy.

9. Dad Gone Mad on December 30th, 2009 8:07 pm

I could make the case that the term “some kind of headway” on a book is vague and therefore difficult to measure, but I’m going to let it slide because I love you more than cake.

10. Valria on December 30th, 2009 8:15 pm

Love these. Mine is here: New Year Quiz

11. Ang on December 30th, 2009 8:17 pm

My sister has mentioned several times how funny and great you are and I can see why!
    You have such great spirit. Keep pushing forward.

12. Penny on December 30th, 2009 8:21 pm

Mine’s at my link.

“pushing yourself out of your comfort zone” is something easily said by people that have never been pushed.

13. lindsay on December 30th, 2009 8:22 pm

I love it all. Especially the bit about being ridiculous and then the photos. Happy new year.

14. Navigating the Mothership on December 30th, 2009 8:23 pm

Huzzah! I’ve been waiting for you to post this.

Here’s mine: http://navigatingthemothership.blogspot.com/2009/12/2009-in-review.html

Laura

15. Lara on December 30th, 2009 8:33 pm

I have been meaning to follow your lead on this for years. Here’s mine, finally.

Now I’m off to read what everyone else has to say.

Happy New Year.

16. velocibadgergirl on December 30th, 2009 9:21 pm

This year I actually remembered this was coming and wrote something a few days ahead of time. I’m learning from past failures, it seems!

Here’s mine: http://velocibadgergirl.blogspot.com/2009/12/dead-reckoning-originating-with-linda.html

Happy New Year, and congrats on kicking serious ass in 2009 :D

17. Meagan on December 30th, 2009 9:43 pm

Here’s mine: http://hadesarrow.com/blog/2009/12/31/wrap-up-2009/ Technically it doesn’t go up until tomorrow but it’s accessible now. Which makes no sense, but there’s technology for you.

18. 2009 Survey « life is what happens…. on December 30th, 2009 10:17 pm

[...] out all the happenings of late, I’m posting a survey that I stole from a blogger I follow All and Sundry. I still plan to write about our Christmases and whatnot but in the meantime, [...]

19. Debbie on December 30th, 2009 11:05 pm

I created a blog just a couple of days ago. I was actually looking forward to seeing this thing come up so I could post it on my blog. My copy/paste function quit working, of all the weird things to have go wrong with your computer. Maybe next year.

Besides, my version wouldn’t have been as cool as Sundry’s. You had an awesome year, girl.

20. abby on December 30th, 2009 11:18 pm

I have done this same quiz since 2006!!
    I haven’t posted them on my blog, they are all on my Facebook Notes but I may post one this year. :) Love the pictures.

21. Lesley on December 30th, 2009 11:47 pm

A very inspiring review of your year. Your journey is exciting and highly motivational. I wish you all the best in the new year.

P.S. Has JB ever considered a career as a stunt double?

22. Mama Kat on December 31st, 2009 12:55 am

Yes! The Hunger Games!!!

23. sooboo on December 31st, 2009 1:09 am

This is my first time making it all the way thru. I should have listed that as a 2009 accomplishment.
    Keep on rocking it rock star.

24. Carole Hicks on December 31st, 2009 3:15 am

One of the benefits of occasional insomnia: Finding new friends on the internetz. Where have you been? Why haven’t I run across you before? You are awesome! — Carole

25. Clueless But Hopeful Mama on December 31st, 2009 4:56 am

Thank you for an inspiring year. Can’t wait to read about your adventures in 2010!

26. amanda on December 31st, 2009 5:09 am

Happy New Year – love your blog!

27. Lola on December 31st, 2009 6:10 am

I love this. I posted mine for the first time, but I’ve been doing this with my oldest son for 3 years now.

You’ve had a great year. Congrats.

28. Wendy on December 31st, 2009 7:07 am

Posted on my blog!

29. see ya, 2009. « bessie.viola on December 31st, 2009 7:31 am

[...] going to take a cue from Sundry’s 2009 list and use a quote here as [...]

30. Heather on December 31st, 2009 7:40 am

And mine. I love, love, love this, Linda. And jesus, your family is so photogeneic, even when you’re being “ridiculous as humanly possible.”

31. Jen_Ann_W on December 31st, 2009 7:55 am

I love reading this every year. But lordy do I have a brain fart when it comes to doing mine! http://mouthfoot.blogspot.com/2009/12/bye-bye-09.html

32. Lawyerish on December 31st, 2009 8:00 am

I did this, and managed to put the wrong year in the very first question. And I’m too lazy to go back and change it.

Here’s to 2010!

33. Jen on December 31st, 2009 8:23 am

All posted…all short and probably pretty lame.

34. Debbie on December 31st, 2009 8:24 am

I forgot to add–Is JB part gazelle? Jesus’ teeth that man can jump! Everytime I see one of those pics, my jaw drops…no matter how many times I see it, I’m amazed all over again. And the pic of the boys holding hands…omg, just so sweet!
    You really are blessed, Linda. And so am I for “knowing” you. Thanks for sharing with us.

35. Sarah on December 31st, 2009 8:26 am

Thanks for this! It was fun to think back on the past year. Here’s mine:

36. Becky on December 31st, 2009 8:33 am

I’ve been doing this for the past couple of years but didn’t know it was “yours.” :) Of course, I just started reading so that might be why I didn’t know. Happy new year!

37. Mrs. D on December 31st, 2009 8:41 am

Sounds like a year full of accomplishments.

I also did this survey: http://lifeofadoctorswife.wordpress.com/2009/12/31/2009-round-up-a-rama/

I also picked a Chris Brown song! Not the same one. But still.

Happy 2010!

38. Christine on December 31st, 2009 9:26 am

Happy New Year Linda! And seriously, I kind of want to be adopted into your family…maybe the crazy athletic jumping will rub off? Maybe? JB is insane!

39. Kate on December 31st, 2009 9:54 am

I love doing this survey! Here’s mine:

I’ve had a very fitness-focused year, and I just wanted to say thanks for writing about all your fitness endeavors here. It’s been inspiring (and entertaining). Happy new year!

40. Maria on December 31st, 2009 10:24 am

I was really looking forward to doing this again this year, as well as reading yours!

Happy New Year Everyone!

41. Alice on December 31st, 2009 10:25 am
  42. StyckyWycket on December 31st, 2009 10:33 am

This is the first year, I believe, that I have completed this. I promise that it won’t be the last:

43. She Likes Purple on December 31st, 2009 10:37 am

I always look forward to reading this post of yours. Here’s mine: http://www.shelikespurple.com/shelikespurple/2009/12/2009.html.

44. Laura on December 31st, 2009 10:37 am

Love this every year! Took your idea and ran with it here: http://thestashbuckler.com/2009/12/31/2009-the-year-in-review/

45. moojoose on December 31st, 2009 10:51 am

I had forgotten all about this until your post, as seems to be my little New Year’s tradition. Here’s to jumping on the bandwagon:

46. Briar on December 31st, 2009 10:57 am

I love doing these! I started with you in 2004, shortly after I started reading your blog. Here’s this year’s:

47. Cora on December 31st, 2009 11:18 am

I love reading your answers! I just started reading you last year, so I’ll have to go check up on the first four I missed. :) I also wrote mine yesterday: http://sandpalace.blogspot.com/2009/12/2009-year-in-review.html
    Happy New Year!

48. Victoria on December 31st, 2009 11:40 am

Thanks Linda, and thanks for constantly inspiring me, even if I still feel too scared to do it.

49. kirida on December 31st, 2009 11:46 am
  50. And, again « Three Dog Kitchen on December 31st, 2009 11:49 am

[...] the year has brought, and so I have slogged through another What Did I Do list, also known as the Sundry meme.  If you’re curious, you can also look up my 2008 and 2007 [...]

51. Amanda on December 31st, 2009 11:53 am

Why can I never remember to do #18–change of scenery? Is it because after all the whining our brain turns to mush and we can’t even think anymore??

52. MichelleH on December 31st, 2009 12:08 pm

Linda, you have had an amazing year. In every pic you just look like you are THRIVING and doing everything full out. It has been so fun to watch. Thank you for sharing that with us. Is it possible to be proud of someone you don’t know without being weird or condescending?? :)

I don’t have a blog, so uh….I guess I’ll post my answers here…? Hope that’s ok.

1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?

Huffed, puffed and wheezed my way through the Camp Pendleton Mud Run, watched my newborn grow into a toddler, completed a semester of school while being a new mom,went on an actual trip to the snow (I am in California so experiencing snow where I’m from requires effort and planning), cooked a Christmas brunch for my whole family.

I don’t have my list from last year in front of me but I’m going to guess I didn’t do too well. After losing all my pregnancy weight, I gained a bunch back. I’m sure there was something about relaxing and enjoying life more, which I did not do. To sum up: 2009 not one of my better efforts. I will definitely make more resolutions because I LIVE for lists! Plus, I am just motivated to turn it around in 2010.

My resolutions for 2010:
    • Get back to the level of fitness I had before my baby and surpass it (ie, accept Jillian Michaels as my new lord and savior).
    • Get back to more of the outdoor things I enjoy like backpacking, hiking and camping.
    • Stop worrying over silly things with my son
    • Find the joy and fun in every day things and stop allowing the little stresses to overwhelm me.
    • Plan more family outings.
    • Make progress in finishing school and finally get my math degree
    • Figure out what I really want to do when I grow up.
    • Stop resenting my parents and accepting them for the weird, flawed, loving people that they are ;)
    Make the inexpensive and easy improvements to the house that we have put off out of sheer laziness.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Yes, my best friend’s wife gave birth to a baby boy.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

5. What countries did you visit?

Um….none. :( Hoping to change that.

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?

Peace, tranquility, SLEEEEEEEEEEP. Motivation. Usually, that one is easy for me to summon. This year, notsomuch.

7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

My son’s first birthday. Other than that it was kind of a blur.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Being a mom. Discovering that I can be patient and giving.

9. What was your biggest failure?
    Allowing a frustrating situation with my parents effect me more than it should have.
    Wallowing in said frustration.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
    Not at all. This was a bright spot.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
    The Kindle!!! Actually, it was a gift from my husband and I had previously been very anti-Kindle but I looooove it. Such instant gratification, plus, it makes my habit of reading a gazillion books at once much more compact.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
    Oh man….um, nobody I know of. Least of all me.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

My parents. But ALSO, EVERY SINGLE WORD YOU TYPED, LINDA. GAH, those balloon people. The agonizing horror of thinking that kid had fallen to his death somewhere over Colorado. I read that the parents got some jail time, but I’ll admit, I was kinda pulling for THE CHAIR. UGH!!!

14. Where did most of your money go?
    The mortgage and food.

15. What did you get really excited about?
    My son and all the new things he is doing every day. He is absolutely the thing that kept me going this year. He is just an amazing little person.

16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
    I don’t think this actually came out in 2009 but I’ll have to say “Tonight’s Gonna Be a Good Night” by the Black Eyed Peas…I first heard it on 4th of July when some guy in the parking garage was literally dancing to it in his car. Ever since then, I have had a soft spot for that song, because thinking about that guy makes me smile. Also, it was on the radio ALL THE TIME.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

– happier or sadder? Oh. WAY SADDER. But finally fed up enough to get over it and move on.
    – thinner or fatter? Hmmm….started working out a few weeks ago. So, fatter, because all the weight is not off yet, but DEFINITELY stronger. Thanks Jillian.

– richer or poorer? Poorer by a lot.
    18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
    Had more fun in general. Appreciated things more.
    19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
    Wasted too much time fretting over things that can’t be changed.

20. How did you spend Christmas?

Christmas Eve was fondue and game night (I got the prize for best fondue of the night-woo hoo!). Christmas brunch at our house for Christmas Day.

21. Did you fall in love in 2009?

I love that you devoted this answer to a food product. I will say with no disrespect to my wonderful husband that I continued my passionate love affair with the DVR.

22. What was your favorite TV program?

Glee, Top Chef, Lost, Breaking Bad

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

Far too exhausted to hate anyone.

24. What was the best book you read?

Finally got around to reading The Picture of Dorian Gray and LOVED it. The Twilight Saga (kind of guilt ridden over this, but what are ya gonna do? They sparkle!),

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?

Lady Gaga. I resisted her for a long time, she has won me over.

26. What did you want and get?

A happy healthy little boy, A trip to San Diego.

27. What did you want and not get?
    More care free family time. More fun trips, some sort of progress in my career.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?

Not seeing Avatar til tomorrow-Star Trek springs to mind.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

Nothing that memorable about this one (other than the aforementioned fabulosity that is the Kindle!). I turned 33.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Not have to spend nearly every day of it with my parents. I love them, but in much smaller doses. Working on getting that space in the new year. Finding a new direction to go with my job.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?

HAHAHAHAHA…..hmmmmmmm…..my personal fashion concept for 2009 was to pose strategically in order to hide crusted on baby food. I actually walked around work for HOURS one day not realizing my shoulder was covered in butternut squash. Klassy!!

32. What kept you sane?

My son.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

Hmmm….Johnny Depp is always a perennial fave, although, I found Matthew Morrison’s hair mesmorizing.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?

Health care and Marriage equality.

35. Who did you miss?

My parents, who I at one time got along with. My friends in the theatre world that I have had to take a break from since having my baby.

36. Who was the best new person you met?

Ummmm……no one new. But I think I’ll put that my brother’s girlfriend is my favorite person of the year. Love her.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.

I learned that sometimes it’s best to give up the fight even when you are right and just stop keeping score. I learned that sometimes happiness is a choice that requires effort and commitment.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

I am drawing a complete blank on this, but I like your quote, Linda-I think that the years that have worked out the best for me have been when I have searched for those types of experiences and I definitely want to do more of that in 2010.

53. Bachelor Girl on December 31st, 2009 12:30 pm

Happy New Year, Linda!

54. Sarah on December 31st, 2009 12:35 pm

Absolutely wonderful!! I’m going to do this questionairre, but it will be posted tomorrow probably, since I already posted today…I’ll be sure to add my link here when I do :D

Love your answers…love them all! I’m hoping I can answer them all (song lyrics? Really? That one’ll be tough.)

55. Kate on December 31st, 2009 12:50 pm

Happy New Year Linda & family! You’ve been an huge inspiration to me this year, in so many ways, so thank you.

Happy New Year everyone!

56. Lori O on December 31st, 2009 1:02 pm

Been working on mine all week! I feel it was much less “big” of a year for me, especially next to yours. I’m contemplating something new and challenging as a goal for this year, but I don’t know what. I’ve done the 1/2 and full marathons, so that has no intrigue for me. I hate swimming so triathlon isn’t on the radar either. Maybe I should train for a mixed martial arts bout…get right on that.

57. Sonja on December 31st, 2009 2:31 pm

Oooh, I did the quiz! There are also more *interesting* entries about my year in review on the blog. I don’t know what it is about this quiz if I’m a totally boring person or if the questions aren’t applicable or what, but I feel like I come off as like, Yoda or something over here when that’s totally not the case. Just because I don’t have specific regrets or stuff I didn’t get doesn’t mean I’ve attained inner peace yet!

58. JoannaP on December 31st, 2009 2:52 pm

I posted mine. Thanks for doing this. I totally enjoy reading your posts, honest! Completing the questions was very helpful in remembering all that has gone on this year. Cheers!

59. Maria on December 31st, 2009 2:55 pm

Thank you again! Glad to be participating in this two years in a row.

And Balloon Boy, man I wish I’d thought of that. I felt the same way.

60. Melissa on December 31st, 2009 3:17 pm

Happy 2010! Hope it brings you & your family all you need and what you want too:)

61. Retrospective « Hoot! on December 31st, 2009 3:18 pm

[...] 31, 2009 by M. Hoot I kind of love this survey tradition, even though it meant going back and editing several blog posts so as to update the links and make [...]

62. Sara on December 31st, 2009 4:58 pm
  63. Erin on December 31st, 2009 4:59 pm
  64. Mimi on December 31st, 2009 5:04 pm

Happy New Year to you and your family, Linda!

Got mine done just in the nick of time:

65. Laura on December 31st, 2009 5:12 pm
  66. Tricia on December 31st, 2009 7:15 pm

I have enjoyed reading your blog for some time, but have never left a comment. I enjoy your writing!

My quiz:http://twebsterarmstrong.blogspot.com/

67. Anne on December 31st, 2009 7:27 pm

thanks for the kick in the pants to blog again. i have to say i love your blog and love reading it everyday.

68. Jessica on December 31st, 2009 7:36 pm

Re: publishing your parent poems – have you considered self publishing? I just got Wil Wheaton’s latest book through http://www.lulu.com and they have a bunch of different ways to help… I just really want those poems in my hot little hands!

69. warcrygirl on December 31st, 2009 8:00 pm

Oops! I forgot to come back and link my list: http://warcrygirl.com/?p=795 Happy New Year!

70. Amber on December 31st, 2009 9:14 pm

I absolutely love your pictures.

I hope you have a fantastic New Year!

My husband saw Avatar and said that if they had taken out the love story, then it would have been perfect. Ugh.

71. Frank on December 31st, 2009 9:33 pm

Great entry. At your suggetstion i did my own. You can find it here:

72. Stephie on December 31st, 2009 9:39 pm

I was looking for something to help me reflect on the past year and this was just perfect.

Thanks for sharing…and good luck on that half marathon this coming year.

73. Hilary on December 31st, 2009 9:43 pm

Considering that my husband lost his job in January and I lost mine in February, 2009 started off as a pretty horrifying year. In the end, though, it turned out pretty good. Thanks for inspiring me to fill out this quiz. Here’s mine: http://sixminutes-hilary.blogspot.com/2009/12/year-in-review.html

And Happy New Year!

-hilary

74. vedjen on December 31st, 2009 11:13 pm

Jesus, reflection hurts a bit. Next year will be better, I’m sure! Thanks for the new tradition.

Happy New Year!

75. Anita on December 31st, 2009 11:20 pm

I gave it some thought and did your quiz thing here on my blog! http://aklivelovelearn.net/?p=3398

76. Shannon on December 31st, 2009 11:31 pm

Hey, Happy New Year, thanks for the quiz!

77. Erin on January 1st, 2010 12:06 am

I don’t have a blog of my own anymore – so here are my answers:

(By the way, I love that you do this and have looked forward to it every year since you started it…)

1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?

I bought a car, stood up for myself at my job, learned how to keep plants alive and learned to be more comfortable with being myself rather than trying to be somebody else.

Honestly, I cannot remember my resolutions made last year. I’m sure they were to lose some weight and be more healthy – and in fact, I did manage to lose a few more pounds and keep off the weight I managed to lose in 2008 – so I can’t complain.

My resolutions for this year are:
    -run a mini-marathon
    -get pregnant (yay!)
    -lose the last 7 pounds
    -spend more time with my husband and less time worrying about the laundry, which bathrooms need to be cleaned, what else needs to be picked up, etc.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Yes, I feel like all of my friends had babies. When, in fact, I know its not true, but I can count at least 10 of my friends that had babies this past year…

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Yes, my great grandma – Mama Brown

5. What countries did you visit?

No countries – just new states: California and Massachusetts

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?

Stand up for myself. I am a pushover and certainly deserve more credit at work than I give in to.

7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

None in specific stand out…

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

I managed to score not one, but TWO raises at work this year. I know that sounds bratty and snotty especially in this economy where we are just lucky to have our jobs, but I’ve worked hard and taken on two other jobs at work (where other people have quit and I have taken their jobs in addition to mine) and have dedicated more than my fair share of weekends and extra weeknights at my job and was glad to see that somebody else noticed it as well.

9. What was your biggest failure?

I’ve not acted the way I want to act towards my husband and some of my family members. I am embarrassed by it and certainly hope to strive for better in the coming year.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Heck yes! I had the swine flu!

11. What was the best thing you bought?

We bought a new car for my husband – a long overdue nicety for him and a much appreciated new toy for myself!

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

I can’t think of anything specific…

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

I was so disheartened by Tiger Woods this year. A seemingly honest guy who really just loved his job. Not that his life should affect mine, but really…that was a big blow to everybody and I was really disappointed to hear about who he really is rather than the image he portrayed.

14. Where did most of your money go?

New furniture, car payments. mortgage and our vacation

15. What did you get really excited about?

I was very excited about our yearly vacation with some of our best friends and my husband’s best friend getting married this past fall.

16. What song will always remind you of 2009?

I can’t get the Glee songs out of my head – mostly because I run to them because they are upbeat (or that is what I tell myself!)

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

– happier or sadder? Definitely happier
    – thinner or fatter? A little thinner
    – richer or poorer? Richer in terms of salary, but I’ve just spent more…

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

I wished I would have followed my own intuitions about some things that have transgressed these past few months, instead of just believing what other have told me.

I wish I would have stood my ground and spoke my mind during a few conversations at my job.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Stressing. I need to relax!

20. How did you spend Christmas?

We woke up at my parent’s house and then spent the rest of the day at my husband’s parent’s house.

21. Did you fall in love in 2009?

No, I’m married to my best friend!

22. What was your favorite TV program?

I really do love Grey’s Anatomy and Top Chef

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

24. What was the best book you read?

I’m still in the middle of the first book I started this year: Harry Potter 5

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?

Whatever my husband comes up with – he’s the music finder in our house!

26. What did you want and get?

I know its so superficial, but I’ve kept off the weight I lost. And then I got a Cuisinart. We’ll see how long that weight loss lasts!

27. What did you want and not get?

Nothing – honestly!

28. What was your favorite film of this year?

I really did enjoy Sherlock Holmes and I Love You Man

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I turned 25 this year. I spent the entire weekend with my family and friends and then got the flu on Sunday night – it perfectly sums up my year!

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Less drama at work!

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?

I’ve moved to more classic-casual with way less attention spent to makeup and hair…

32. What kept you sane?

Knowing the work day has to end eventually and coming home to my pets and husband

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

I mean, I’m not really sure.

Who doesn’t love Brad Pitt or George Clooney.

But lately, I’m on a Robert Downey Jr. fix…

34. What political issue stirred you the most?

Ugh, this healthcare business…

35. Who did you miss?

I do miss being further away from both of our families – I feel kind of like the outsiders because we aren’t there all the time…

36. Who was the best new person you met?

One of the new girls at work – she is fabulous!

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.

Karma can come back and kick you in the butt – big time!

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

I don’t have one that really sums up the year…sorry, I’m lame-o that way!

78. Tamsyn on January 1st, 2010 3:44 am

I saw this at Du Wax Loolu and followed the link back to your blog. I love it and love your blog! My version if posted on my blog :)

79. Sarah on January 1st, 2010 6:59 am

Okay, I did it! I posted my answers here:

Thanks fr the great quiz!

80. elz on January 1st, 2010 8:06 am
  81. meghan on January 1st, 2010 8:31 am
  82. Andrea on January 1st, 2010 10:45 am

I love this time of year if only for this! Here’s mine – http://allofusellwoods.blogspot.com/2010/01/its-that-time-again.html

83. Tina on January 1st, 2010 12:21 pm

I just posted mine! Whew! That took awhile! It was fun to do though!

84. Stephanie on January 1st, 2010 12:48 pm
  85. Erin on January 1st, 2010 1:55 pm

I really enjoy reading your surveys! Here’s mine:

86. fairydogmother on January 1st, 2010 3:00 pm

Decided to post mine at the last minute. Here it is: http://fairy-dog-mother.blogspot.com/2010/01/out-with-old.html

I love your photos. And I’m very impressed at your cartwheel abilities. I used to be great at cartwheels. When i was about nine years old, that is!

87. KKF on January 1st, 2010 5:52 pm
  88. Megs on January 1st, 2010 7:04 pm

You’re awesome, this list/survey was awesome. There are many things I could positively respond to, and you are indeed, as many have said already here, an inspiration. I’m a longtime reader, so please don’t think I swooped in here just to split hairs.

But…hey–can we stop making jokes about (or sincere reference to) to prison rape? to rape at all?

I’m sorry–it’s my pet peeve, but I do believe that I can get our culture to stop thinking that prisoners deserve to lose the rights to their body…one blogger at a time.

These jokes imply that men deserve to be raped more than women do. And that rape is just. And funny. They are culturally pervasive and I just don’t get it.

Sorry to pick on you–but I hope readers of this comment might be prompted to think about the issue.

(One last thing–if anyone thinks this isn’t a big deal, look at the statistics of men leaving prison after even the shortest of sentences for any crime on the spectrum with HIV contracted through forced intercourse. There is a direct correlation between prison-rape jokes on Law and Order, indicating our acceptance and even encouragement of the practice, and our government not seeing fit to do anything about this problem.)

/soapbox

89. St on January 1st, 2010 8:17 pm

Phew, finished right on time for Jan 1!
    I enjoyed reading yours, here’s mine.

90. Mel T. on January 1st, 2010 8:54 pm

Thanks for the year-end questions — I answered for the first time here: http://runningfordonuts.blogspot.com/

Happy new year!

91. Marc on January 1st, 2010 9:55 pm

Fun meme

92. *firegirl* on January 1st, 2010 10:20 pm

Love it all esp. the pictures. You’re a rock star, just in case you can’t hear that enough. (:-D

93. angelynn odom on January 2nd, 2010 1:20 am

I realized quite early on that I was never going to finish the questions on paper. I decided to do my year-end recap video style. A lot has happened, and here’s to so much more in 2010… http://growingodoms.com/2010/01/01/01-01-10/

94. Eve on January 2nd, 2010 1:24 am

I just discovered your blog and you have totally inspired me to post my New Year’s Quiz here too

Thanks!

95. Kirsty on January 2nd, 2010 4:57 am

You achieved a lot in 2009 (more than me, anyway) and have right to be proud of yourself!
    Have a great 2010!
    Here’s my (uninspiring, uninspired) list:

96. Karen on January 2nd, 2010 8:35 am
  97. NTodd on January 2nd, 2010 5:16 pm
  98. Kay on January 2nd, 2010 6:04 pm

Hello! I’ve been reading for a while but never commented. You are a real inspiration and I’m looking forward to hearing what you get up to in 2010.

I’ve had a go at your quiz (and tried to link to you but it’s not working, sorry)

99. Farrell on January 2nd, 2010 7:39 pm

Here’s mine.

100. Farrell on January 2nd, 2010 7:40 pm

Oops, that was just to the blog; here’s to the new year’s post.
    (dork.)

101. yaya on January 3rd, 2010 1:29 am

I am sure you have thought about this (or not and it is way off base) but why not write a novel or an autobio about your transformation into a fit & healthy lifestyle? Your writing on this blog is honest, funny and so motivating. I am 35, a mom, a recent runner and I look at your site daily for laughs, updates & motivation. The stuff I want to read about & oodles of my friends want to read, is right here in this blog….I read Dean & I read Lance for fitness/life motivation, I would LOVE to read about a woman, mom, and newbie fitness addict…I would like to read a book about someone who reminds me of my goals and dreams and motivates me to be a great mom, spouse & athlete all in one, somehow.

102. Jane on January 3rd, 2010 4:59 am
  103. Hoot! on January 3rd, 2010 11:30 am
  104. diniwilk on January 3rd, 2010 3:37 pm

Second year for me…enjoy!

105. Gemma on January 3rd, 2010 4:55 pm

i love this – it’s not one of those annoying little surveys that are pointless; but kind of all-encompassing and really made me think about my year!

plus i loved reading your answers :)

here’s mine: http://magicinthenight.wordpress.com/2010/01/02/2009/

106. Brenda on January 3rd, 2010 6:38 pm

I have only decided to not do one thing this next year. And that is to Not climb mt. Everest. Right now I just want to get to the point where the chemo pills don’t make me pray to the proclin god.

107. Aneets on January 4th, 2010 3:43 am
  108. circusliz on January 4th, 2010 7:49 am

My blog is new this year, so this is my first time doing this:

109. Frema on January 4th, 2010 12:37 pm

It is too late to get in on this? Here is my Q&A:

This was a fun way to look back on the year. And thank goodness for blogging, because if it weren’t for a year’s worth of entries, I would have had no idea how to answer question number one. (Except for the whole giving birth thing, of course.)

110. 2009 recap. « dancing kitchen on January 4th, 2010 1:58 pm

[...] leave a comment » i wish i had been doing these the past few years because i imagine they would be interesting. following the sundry train. [...]

111. kat on January 4th, 2010 2:00 pm

this was fun to write! i’ll be writing one next year.

112. Operation Pink Herring on January 4th, 2010 2:47 pm

I’ve been doing this every year, too. Here’s mine: http://pinkherring.typepad.com/weblog/2010/01/2009review.html

113. Ladyloo Land » The Year End Meme of 2009 on January 5th, 2010 9:48 am

[...] The meme, courtesy of Sundry. [...]

114. Alex on January 5th, 2010 3:38 pm
  115. Cheri on January 5th, 2010 4:58 pm
  116. Georgia on January 6th, 2010 12:05 am
  117. Because that was me in 2009 « Mommy Life on January 7th, 2010 8:38 pm

[...] Once again I’m linking to this post… [...]

118. Erin on January 7th, 2010 8:45 pm
  119. Looking back on 2009 » misspriss.org on January 8th, 2010 6:54 pm

[...] year. Maybe I only saved the meme with plans to do it, who knows? Anyway, I originally saw it on All & Sundry and thought it might be fun to do & take some time to think about the past [...]

120. Lauren on January 16th, 2010 8:09 am

Am slow, but here is mine: http://www.worstbloggereva.com/?p=111

121. One Little Word 2010 « My Little Big Life on May 2nd, 2010 8:28 pm

[...] came across this quote tonight (here), and instantly knew that I had found my word for 2010. As I’ve worked on my goals for 2010 [...]

122. The Year End Meme of 2010 « Ladyloo Land on December 31st, 2010 5:26 am

[...] The Year End Meme of 2010 The meme, courtesy of Sundry. [...]

123. Oh, 2009. I loved you, but you sure wore me out. » Erin Tracy Photography on January 2nd, 2011 9:04 am

[...] 2009, in quiz form. I love this quiz that I read on Sundry’s site several years ago, and I think I’ll keep up the tradition. [...]

124. Croila » Blog Archive » The year that was on January 16th, 2011 2:13 am

[...] you to All and Sundry for the idea – what a great notion to do one of these every [...]

125. freddasarracino151 on September 16th, 2013 7:31 pm

, specifically when
    in
    from suppliers sunlight company well being drinking glasses bamboo bedding shades and tones arkansas internal tinted glasses eyeglasses large tire maker shades of sunshine discount producer sunglasses majority eye-glasses price reduction

athletics at that time ! For starters options to secrets doing gone forever remarkable GUCCI TOP GRADE BELTS
    glasses reduced tinted glasses from suppliers dealer extensive famous label solar shades the united states sunglasses with yellow colored glasses extensive chinese people spectacles or contact lenses caravan guide glassesshop glasses or contact lenses support frames young women In my opinion, it is an interesting question, I will take part in discussion. Together we can come to a right answer. I am assured.
    It is remarkable, and alternative?

I think, that you are not right. I am assured. I suggest it to discuss.
    New Hermes Top Quality Golden H Head The Blue Leather Belts
    eye protection spares colors for green colored holiday resort cups of water mmpayday first in bulk custom eyeglasses general custom made your next sunglasses away from indonesia at producer eyeglasses locs colors flip sunglasses hut trackback hyperlink with this oakley colours oakley sunglasses from wholesale prices sun interbank organization portions of

126. Jimmy Choo UGG Nero Sora Starlit on December 27th, 2013 9:08 am
  127. ugg shop online on December 27th, 2013 9:10 am
  128. free shipping iherb on December 27th, 2013 1:13 pm

Excellent blog! Do you have any suggestions for aspiring writers?
    I’m hoping to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost on everything.
    Would you propose starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for
    a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I’m totally overwhelmed
    .. Any ideas? Kudos!

129. Alphonse Galva on December 30th, 2013 8:44 am

Thanks as a result a lot on the topic of bountiful me personally an update on this topic matter by your website. Please be aware of that if a completely pristine place of duty becomes available otherwise if maybe several improvements occur proceeding the current submission, I would deem evaluation a enormous agreement additional and learning how to compose admirable employ of those techniques you argue. Thanks for your time and consideration of other males and ladies by producing this internet locate open. feast in cuba

130. pvgytkmd on December 30th, 2013 8:51 am

New Year’s tradition : All & Sundry
    [url=http://www.g7m25ufs87fsm5v1933381t7xz5w5okws.org/]upvgytkmd[/url]
    pvgytkmd http://www.g7m25ufs87fsm5v1933381t7xz5w5okws.org/
    apvgytkmd

131. louboutin 37 los angeles cour l'ordre de récré joue not rôle most critical on March 25th, 2014 12:02 am

christian louboutin escarpins…

la cour nufactured récré joue not rôle indespensib louboutin 37 le. promote start out par united nations p louboutin paris etit groupe d’enfants won’t l’ensemble des people, along with branchés cual les autres, Leur ont rapporté des jeux ou des addo…